HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
All hockey experts seem to agree that you need size to win in playoffs. Andre Tourigny, Danny Dubé, Pierre Mcguire among some. Vegas' blueline is averaging 6'3, Boston Bruins had an all time reccord season with a big strong puck possession team. St-Louis Blues won a cup with a huge mobile blueline, Habs reached the Stanley cup finale with a mediocre foward crop and a big strong blueline + elite goaltending. Tampa won cups with Hedman 6'6, Sergachev 6'3, Mcdonagh 6'1, Ruuta 6'3, Cernak 6'4. Yeah they were pretty skilled up front, but their blueline was huge and talented.

We are drafting 5th OV and some folk want a 5'9 160 lbs winger or a soft playmaking center who will likely end up on the wing? I dont get it. Yeah Marchessault is pretty good, so are other undersized fowards, but you cant have too many of them on your team, we already have Caufield on our top 6 who has an elite trait, his goalscoring skills. Small skilled fowards are also easier to get later in the drafts, I mean Marchessault was not even drafted.

We have the opportunity to draft a big, smooth skating top RD with great puck poise, passing skills, physicality who is elite at breaking plays and who can generate offense by rushing the puck up ice or great outlet passses. We have the chance to add a big strong 2-way center with deadly shooting and puck possession skills. We have the opportunity to draft a great scoring powerwinger with deceptive speed, great hands, high end motor and competitiveness, but yeah, go for the sexiest picks that will wow you at times, but get crushed hard in playoffs...
You mean hockey playoffs aren't a skills competition? And the draft isn't a hockey pool?

I swear many here must not watch the NHL playoffs and have no idea how the game changes. We got our Michkov 15th overall in 2019.

I mean...I'll be totally fine if we do take him as I know Habs brass are doing their due diligence but he's nowhere close to Bedard and has some question marks. I can't get over how many are acting as if a small average skating one dimensional player that they haven't watched play in 18 months is a must draft at #5. If he was such a can't miss prospect, he'd be taken at #2.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Mike Keane is a bit of a stretch as Leonard is definitely a better skater with better hands but I agree that the comparisons with the Tkachuk brothers is also a poor one. I have said that Hyman is the best comp although he is also bigger than Leonard, perhaps J.T. Miller is his upside but once again Miller is still bigger than Leonard.

I see him as a hybrid of Hyman and Konecny if all goes well with his development.
Mike Keane was a pretty good skater. They’re about the same size. He was always motoring. Hitting guys left and right. He even dropped the gloves once in a while. His offensive IQ was lower and the offence never got off the ground when he graduated to the NHL. His hands were below average while Leonards are above average. But Keane was very good defensively. Keane helped us win the Cup and was an important cog. I just wouldn’t take him at 5OA even if he doubled his goal output. But teams love having a player like that.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
All hockey experts seem to agree that you need size to win in playoffs. Andre Tourigny, Danny Dubé, Pierre Mcguire among some. Vegas' blueline is averaging 6'3, Boston Bruins had an all time reccord season with a big strong puck possession team. St-Louis Blues won a cup with a huge mobile blueline, Habs reached the Stanley cup finale with a mediocre foward crop and a big strong blueline + elite goaltending. Tampa won cups with Hedman 6'6, Sergachev 6'3, Mcdonagh 6'1, Ruuta 6'3, Cernak 6'4. Yeah they were pretty skilled up front, but their blueline was huge and talented.

We are drafting 5th OV and some folk want a 5'9 160 lbs winger or a soft playmaking center who will likely end up on the wing? I dont get it. Yeah Marchessault is pretty good, so are other undersized fowards, but you cant have too many of them on your team, we already have Caufield on our top 6 who has an elite trait, his goalscoring skills. Small skilled fowards are also easier to get later in the drafts, I mean Marchessault was not even drafted.

We have the opportunity to draft a big, smooth skating top RD with great puck poise, passing skills, physicality who is elite at breaking plays and who can generate offense by rushing the puck up ice or great outlet passses. We have the chance to add a big strong 2-way center with deadly shooting and puck possession skills. We have the opportunity to draft a great scoring powerwinger with deceptive speed, great hands, high end motor and competitiveness, but yeah, go for the sexiest picks that will wow you at times, but get crushed hard in playoffs...
I think skilled player are a lot harder to find regardless of size than big D man that can skate most of these are available as UFA or in the 2nd/3rd round for each Marchessault you have 2 Chariot

Reactions: JAVO16

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Mike Keane was a pretty good skater. They’re about the same size. He was always motoring. Hitting guys left and right. He even dropped the gloves once in a while. His offensive IQ was lower and the offence never got off the ground when he graduated to the NHL. His hands were below average while Leonards are above average. But Keane was very good defensively. Keane helped us win the Cup and was an important cog. I just wouldn’t take him at 5OA even if he doubled his goal output. But teams love having a player like that.
I loved Keaner but he and Leonard aren't similar players at all. Keane's career high is 16 goals. Leonard's a very gifted goal scorer with offensive tools and instincts across the board way above what Keane ever had.

Keane was never drafted and carved out a great career for himself by being a classic overachiever.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021

Skating the puck up ice: 2:03 and 2:20 min mark.

Long outlet passes: 5:18 5:28 5:46 mark

I didn’t say he never did them. There are exception to the rules.

2:03- Love the breakout, his stick-handling is limited. That’s the upper limit of his stickhandling and deeking. We’re talking about a Top-5 pick here. Hughes drafted @4OA could pants Ds every which way.
2:20- Love the breakout again. Typical short simple pass, not much offensive creativity in those circumstances.

5:18- it’s a can’t miss pass situation. No traffic. He has two forwards alone. There’s no chance both miss the pass in their general vicinity.
5:28- Bobbles the puck reception, but makes a very good Cross-ice pass
5:46- This is my favorite play. Excellent high-skill pass off the boards.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
You mean hockey playoffs aren't a skills competition? And the draft isn't a hockey pool?

I swear many here must not watch the NHL playoffs and have no idea how the game changes. We got our Michkov 15th overall in 2019.

I mean...I'll be totally fine if we do take him as I know Habs brass are doing their due diligence but he's nowhere close to Bedard and has some question marks. I can't get over how many are acting as if a small average skating one dimensional player that they haven't watched play in 18 months is a must draft at #5. If he was such a can't miss prospect, he'd be taken at #2.
Well Michkov is a high end offensive talent, he is a magicien with the puck and a great goalscorer. The question marks are about the defensive side of his game, compete without the puck, but TBH, I havent watched him at all since the 2-3 games he played at the WJC 2 yrs ago where he looked like a young phenom. Thats why I am asking the same people who want him 5 OV if they at least watched him play this year.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

I watched Keane's entire career and he was a favourite of mine but outside of his size/competitiveness he shares little in common with Leonard. Skating certainly was not a strength for Keane although his hustle and intelligence helped him to get to where he needed to be. Keane was a heart and soul grinder who killed penalties and banged in the odd garbage goal. Leonard i quite literally better at every aspect of the offensive game and is already heavier than Keane was. Leonard is a much better skater, much better shooter and has much better hands than Keane, it really isn't close.

I would love to have a couple of Keane's to fill out the bottom six as the guy was a flat out warrior and a winner.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I am 100% confident with Reinbacher's puck rushing and transition passing. Where he'll be in some years, who knows, but he already does stuff that looks really really good on a regular basis against pros.

The projection with him is his in zone offense. Right now it's basic.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Well Michkov is a high end offensive talent, he is a magicien with the puck and a great goalscorer. The question marks are about the defensive side of his game, compete without the puck, but TBH, I havent watched him at all since the 2-3 games he played at the WJC 2 yrs ago where he looked like a young phenom. Thats why I am asking the same people who want him 5 OV if they at least watched him play this year.
I watched a few of his games but on video. The defensive aspect of the game is there but needs work in the same way Will Smith‘s needs work. He’s good at stealing pucks and his technical skills are there, but his mindset is too focused on offence. Compete without the puck is insufficient and needs work.

His two first step on the back check are anemic and need to be fixed. Once he’s off, he’s good on the backcheck follow through, and checks the stick. He’ll go down deep.

It’s fine to cherry pick a bit near your defensive blue line to receive a break out pass. But if his team bobbles the puck, he should be a half second quicker in getting back in defensive mode. When in the box he’s ok but should be consistently more aggressive.

On the forecheck he’s agressive if the player is close to him, but not agressive enough when he’s further.

But lots of his offensive opportunities start with him mugging the puck from a player. His skating stride reminds me a lot of Cammaleri’s. He’s faster than Benson and Dvorsky.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I think skilled player are a lot harder to find regardless of size than big D man that can skate most of these are available as UFA or in the 2nd/3rd round for each Marchessault you have 2 Chariot
Leonard is not the reincarnation of Steve Begin!

All that dipsy doodle we can see on those highlights for these highly skilled guys in junior are rarely translatable to the NHL, even less to the NHL playoffs.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I’d be extremely disappointed with any of those 3 as our pick.

If we don’t draft Michkov I want Benson.
Benson kid looks amazing not gonna lie but what's the percentage of his plays he pulls off in junior will actually translate to the next level?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Benson kid looks amazing not gonna lie but what's the percentage of his plays he pulls off in junior will actually translate to the next level?

I'll play Devils advocate (I do really like Benson), but why does no one bring up Gilbert Brule as a possible Benson outcome?

Reactions: Fenris

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Scott Wheeler on his Habs reddit AMA also said he doesn't see Montreal taking Michkov.

It's either the most elaborate smokescreen of all time, or just every person in the game has gotten the same feeling.

You'd think there would be someone saying the sense isn't Michkov but...
They aren't even getting the sense it's a remote possibility

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Scott Wheeler on his Habs reddit AMA also said he doesn't see Montreal taking Michkov.

It's either the most elaborate smokescreen of all time, or just every person in the game has gotten the same feeling.

You'd think there would be someone saying the sense isn't Michkov but...
They aren't even getting the sense it's a remote possibility
Did you hear that Nikolishin interview?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
You dont like Benson, if you would youd claim it high and loud.

Michkov and Benson are two players you dont have the balls to call upon.
You just love players that are exciting and make plays more often than other players but you clearly have no idea what it takes to actually win a cup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad