HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Reinbacher is a good prospect but I seriously question his offensive upside. Doesn't rush the puck and I don't see him running a PP. I see his likely outcome as a #3 defenseman. That's a tough pill to swallow in a deep draft with the 5th pick. I also think if he was LH he wouldn't be in the discussion at all for the Habs so I believe this would be a pick for need not the BPA.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Good Morning HFhabs!

Which way are the winds blowing today?

Are we hot for....

Michkov?
Smith?
Leonard?
Benson?
Reinbacher?
Dvorsky?

or is it someone completely out of left field that we have never heard about?

Let's spend our entire day discussing these prospects at length like we are actually scouts okay?

Everyone in?

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Leonard is not a Tkachuk. He’s not a Power Forward. The guy is litterally Mike Keane that has a better shot and scores more goals. He’ll give lots of bodychecks sure… The Tkachuk’s and Ovechkin would eat this guy for breakfast.

Could Leonard be a Kirk Muller Shayne Corson type you think? I mean if he reached his ceiling.

Last edited:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I want to draft Leonard. Cuz all this junior spectacular stuff is useless.

Benson can dangle but that is not a major part of his game. His primary asset is his AAA mind for the game that allows him to be effective all 200 feet on the ice, his game is lean.

Will Smith is the fancy guy, Benson is far more purposeful. The only serious flag I've heard that is valid is the injury concern due to this past season, if that is something you are worried for then at least the reasoning makes sense. But I get the feeling people heard he's small and thus peg his play as a consequence of his height.

As for the Brule comparisons, I don't see it. Benson works hard and plays through contact, Brule was running around trying to initiate engagement wherever he could when he played for the Giants.

Last edited:

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

MAKE IT HAPPEN HUGHE!!!!

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Benson can dangle but that is not a major part of his game. His primary asset is his AAA mind for the game that allows him to be effective all 200 feet on the ice, his game is lean.

Will Smith is the fancy guy, Benson is far more purposeful. The only serious flag I've heard that is valid is the injury concern due to this past season, if that is something you are worries about then at least the reasoning makes sense.

I don't think Benson will be able to maneuver like he did in the WHL at the next level. I don't like the way Smith plays either...

Benson likes to transport the puck in the offensive zone while skating with his head between his legs, I mean he's gonna get destroyed ...

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Not why I'm asking just was wondering his opinion. I have stated emphatically who I want.

That said, Kirk Muller and Corson were faves of mine when I was younger.
Muller was a center and Corson was basically an enforcer that can play hockey...

Leonard is closer to Muller but with some Corson in him.
He's gonna be your favorite player in no time! :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: HabbyGuy

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
If Habs are really focused only on Smith, Michkov and Benson. That's such a great news. They are all BPA at this point. They have tremendous offensive potential. I'm a big fan of Ryan Leonard aswell, but Zach Benson is such a beauty, I'm 100% in Benson train too. He is the player that Habs want, he have everything that Hughes want in his team. Benson will represent so well this team and forward group will be fun to watch for many years to come. Imagine Benson to Caufield on PP!! WoW!

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Honestly, everyone here prioritizing size over skill in the top 5 because Vegas won the cup with a big team and because Tampa had Cernak, Maroon and Ruuta is absolutely out for lunch.

Size is for the supporting cast. Other than Hedman and Sergachev Tampa had very little size in the top of the line up.

A team like New Jersey is 100% going to be a cup favorite in the next 5 years and the top of their line up is filled with small guys who make “junior plays and dipsy doodles that will never translate”. They will win a cup if they can surround that core with big players, not the other way around.

Please let’s not have that 1995 mentality just because Vegas won the cup.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Honestly, everyone here prioritizing size over skill in the top 5 because Vegas won the cup with a big team and because Tampa had Cernak, Maroon and Ruuta is absolutely out for lunch.

Size is for the supporting cast. Other than Hedman and Sergachev Tampa had very little size in the top of the line up.

A team like New Jersey is 100% going to be a cup favorite in the next 5 years and the top of their line up is filled with small guys who make “junior plays and dipsy doodles that will never translate”. They will win a cup if they can surround that core with big players, not the other way around.

Devils will be a cup contender next year if they add a bit of size / Holtz takes the next step.

• Haha
Reactions: Belial

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
I don't think Benson will be able to maneuver like he did in the WHL at the next level. I don't like the way Smith plays either...

Benson likes to transport the puck in the offensive zone while skating with his head between his legs, I mean he's gonna get destroyed ...
Say what now? In all the viewings I've had of him, I don't think I saw him once enter the zone with the puck where he didn't have his head completely up and scanning the ice.

Disinformation galore up in here.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Say what now? In all the viewings I've had of him, I don't think I saw him once enter the zone with the puck where he didn't have his head completely up and scanning the ice.

Disinformation galore up in here.

Benson is small, therefore he is all dipsy doodles and plays with his head down. That's the law of hockey scouting.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Benson is a stud. Would not be disappointed if he ends up our pick.
Now, how that would translate into the NHL, only time will tell, like all the other picks in the draft.

The beauty about this year's draft is that we have no clue which direction the team will go.
I'm sure a couple of good option will be available when the Habs take the podium.

Last edited:

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017

Not sure people are prioritizing size over talent (skills). I think people need to consider that grit and size are also part of the Toolbox and are also important. So when you evaluate a player that has lots of grit to his play along with speed, average playmaking skill and excelent shooting arsenal it should be just as high in your list to a player that has excellent playmaking ability, good speed, excelent shooting skills but average grit in his game. This is where you need to take these two players and put them on your depth chart and see how they would fit...

If you look at the line of Leonard, Smith and Perreault, in my opinion Leonard has the skillset that complements our team the most. Its just an opinion. Smith as the style of play that scare me the most in terms of whether in can keep that in the NHL and likely the one that could make me regret my stance the most. Perreault is the dark horse of that line in my opinion. All that to say that who every they think will fit the most in the team should be there pick and that includes playing style under MSL.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
Don't believe it will translate.
Benson's game will translate, has all the right ingredients to become a successful player, if not a star. Has that fire that coaches crave, one of the smartest kids in the draft, and already has solid skillset that will only improve.

Of course he has his knocks, but give me a kid like him who will put the work in to become that best he can be. Benson is going to be lighting up this league in a few years, and it's going to look foolish on the teams that passed on him because of his size... just like the teams that passed on Caulfield.

This child was almost a PPG game player when he looked like a kid delivering your morning newspaper.

Reactions: rochab

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Benson's game will translate, has all the right ingredients to become a successful player, if not a star. Has that fire that coaches crave, one of the smartest kids in the draft, and already has solid skillset that will only improve.

Of course he has his knocks, but give me a kid like him who will put the work in to become that best he can be. Benson is going to be lighting up this league in a few years, and it's going to look foolish on the teams that passed on him because of his size... just like the teams that passed on Caulfield.

This child was almost a PPG game player when he looked like a kid delivering your morning newspaper.

Still not buying it!

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I want to draft Leonard. Cuz all this junior spectacular stuff is useless.

Wtf are you even talking about again?

Sidney Crosby was one of the biggest hotdog stickhandlers in junior, doing the michigan a few times like Michkov. Cherry even scoffed at Sidney for that. So many great players were hotdogs in junior.

Knowing when to deke, to bait, move def boxes is a quintessential cue as to a player's offensive IQ, which is one of the most important traits you want in a forward.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Wtf are you even talking about again?

Sidney Crosby was one of the biggest hotdog stickhandlers in junior, doing the michigan a few times like Michkov. Cherry even scoffed at Sidney for that. So many great players were hotdogs in junior.

Knowing when to deke, to bait, move def boxes is a quintessential cues as to a player's offensive IQ, which is one of the most important traits you want in a forward.
You're seriously trying to make a point while comparing players to Crosby?

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Seems like Leonard still have the best quote in betting
Smith at x5 seems like a good bet hehe

1686925031957.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad