HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Cameron Allen looks in shape, I would take that guy at #69

From what others have said he was slated to be a top pick in his D-1, but didn't raise his play and even played worse than the year before, so in the 3rd might not be a bad option. Could be a buy low, medium potential. All depends if anyone else drops.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
All hockey experts seem to agree that you need size to win in playoffs. Andre Tourigny, Danny Dubé, Pierre Mcguire among some. Vegas' blueline is averaging 6'3, Boston Bruins had an all time reccord season with a big strong puck possession team. St-Louis Blues won a cup with a huge mobile blueline, Habs reached the Stanley cup finale with a mediocre foward crop and a big strong blueline + elite goaltending. Tampa won cups with Hedman 6'6, Sergachev 6'3, Mcdonagh 6'1, Ruuta 6'3, Cernak 6'4. Yeah they were pretty skilled up front, but their blueline was huge and talented.

We are drafting 5th OV and some folk want a 5'9 160 lbs winger or a soft playmaking center who will likely end up on the wing? I dont get it. Yeah Marchessault is pretty good, so are other undersized fowards, but you cant have too many of them on your team, we already have Caufield on our top 6 who has an elite trait, his goalscoring skills. Small skilled fowards are also easier to get later in the drafts, I mean Marchessault was not even drafted.

We have the opportunity to draft a big, smooth skating top RD with great puck poise, passing skills, physicality who is elite at breaking plays and who can generate offense by rushing the puck up ice or great outlet passses. We have the chance to add a big strong 2-way center with deadly shooting and puck possession skills. We have the opportunity to draft a great scoring powerwinger with deceptive speed, great hands, high end motor and competitiveness, but yeah, go for the sexiest picks that will wow you at times, but get crushed hard in playoffs...

This is a nightmare.

With a guy like Michkov on board!
Have you watched him play this year?

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
All hockey experts seem to agree that you need size to win in playoffs. Andre Tourigny, Danny Dubé, Pierre Mcguire among some. Vegas' blueline is averaging 6'3, Boston Bruins had an all time reccord season with a big strong puck possession team. St-Louis Blues won a cup with a huge mobile blueline, Habs reached the Stanley cup finale with a meciocre foward crop and a big strong blueline + elite goaltending. Tampa won cup with Hedman 6'6, Sergachev 6'3, Mcdonagh 6'1, Ruuta 6'3, Cernak 6'4. Yeah they were pretty skilled up front, but their blueline was huge and talented.

We are drafting 5th OV and some folk want a 5'9 160 lbs winger or a soft playmaking center who will likely end up on the wing? I dont get it. Yeah Marchessault is pretty good, so are other undersized fowards, but you cant have too many of them on your team, we already have Caufield on our top 6 who has an elite trait, his goalscoring skills. Small skilled fowards are also easier to get later in the drafts, I mean Marchessault was not even drafted.

We have the opportunity to draft a big, smooth skating top RD with great puck poise, passing skills, physicality who is elite at breaking plays and who can generate offense by rushing the puck up ice or great outlet passses. We have the chance to add a big strong 2-way center with deadly shooting and puck possession skills. We have the opportunity to draft a great scoring powerwinger with deceptive speed, great hands, high end motor and competitiveness, but yeah, go for the sexiest picks that will wow you at times, but get crushed hard in playoffs...

I want a superstar, I don't even care about winning at this point. I want the games to be fun watching. I want a Guy Lafleur.

Sure, the Big Three were probably more important to the cups, but at this point I'd settle for 10+ years of Flower over a random Cinderella cup.

Also, I hate building my team according to what happened in the past. Copy-cat mentality. Let's IMPOSE an original style.

As for size, I agree you always need it on the blueline, which all our prospects have except for Hutson (whom I'm not the biggest fan). Not as worried upfront.

And you know, Patrick Kane fits the mold of a player according to you would get "crushed in the playoffs". In reality he was the most clutch player of this generation.

Last edited:

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
All hockey experts seem to agree that you need size to win in playoffs. Andre Tourigny, Danny Dubé, Pierre Mcguire among some. Vegas' blueline is averaging 6'3, Boston Bruins had an all time reccord season with a big strong puck possession team. St-Louis Blues won a cup with a huge mobile blueline, Habs reached the Stanley cup finale with a meciocre foward crop and a big strong blueline + elite goaltending. Tampa won cup with Hedman 6'6, Sergachev 6'3, Mcdonagh 6'1, Ruuta 6'3, Cernak 6'4. Yeah they were pretty skilled up front, but their blueline was huge and talented.

I agree with you but at this point, I'd want the Habs to trade to 3 or 4 and draft either Carlsson or michkov. Even michkov at 5 is better than the three players you eluded to. If Habs don't end up with one of the top 4 players in this draft, I agree that they might as well go with one of the three players you were talking about. Smith in all honestly will be good version of Drouin probably. Put up very good numbers but be completely underwhelming in every other aspect of the game

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Cameron Allen looks in shape, I would take that guy at #69

No way he sucks. Better players will be there. I wouldn't take him before 5th round

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Will play the Devil’s advocate here.
1.We have the opportunity to draft a big, smooth skating top RD with great puck poise, passing skills, physicality who is elite at breaking plays
I’ll agree with most of it. But he does this by keeping everything extremely simple and making short simple passes.
and who can generate offense by rushing the puck up ice or great outlet passses.
A limited puck rusher. As a rule, he never goes end to end nor jumps in the attack.
He’ll skate the puck to top of his zone or before the red line and makes a short outlet pass to the closest player open. He rarely if ever attempts a long tape-to-tape transition pass.

2. We have the chance to add a big strong 2-way center with deadly shooting and puck possession skills.
I will agree with most of this but there’s another side of the ledger. His lack of speed gives no guarantee he’ll be a top offensive player. His stickhandling is basic. And he has not much creativity in his game. His bag of tricks is empty.

3. We have the chance to add a big strong
Very debatable. It’s more a personality trait where he likes contact and always looks for bodychecks
2-way center with deadly shooting
Agreed
and puck possession skills.
He doesnt have much of a puck posession game and his stickhandling is good but not great
We have the opportunity to draft a great scoring
Looks like it
powerwinger
No
with deceptive speed,
Yes
great hands,
Above average but nothing exceptional
high end motor and competitiveness,
Agreed

Reactions: MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I want a superstar, I don't even care about winning at this point. I want the games to be fun watching. I want a Guy Lafleur.

Sure, the Big Three were probably more important to the cups, but at this point I'd settle for 10+ years of Flower over a random Cinderella cup.

Also, I hate building my team according to what happened in the past. Copy-cat mentality. Let's IMPOSE an original style.

As for size, I agree you always need it on the blueline, which all our prospects have except for Hutson (whom I'm not the biggest fan). Not as worried upfront.

And you know, Patrick Kane fits the mold of a player according to you would get "crushed in the playoffs". In reality he was the most clutch player of this generation.
Ouff I don’t agree with you there

Only important thing is the Stanley Cup

I would take having a year like STL in 2019 before having McDavid in my team any day

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

I would take having a year like STL in 2019 before having McDavid in my team any day

Not me. Not anymore after what the league has become, basically a crapshoot with too many irrelevant teams and franchises, controlled by a pro-US money-obsessed alien coming from the NBA.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
No way he sucks. Better players will be there. I wouldn't take him before 5th round

I think a lot of people were getting cold by the end October. Nothing is etched in stone but he seems like a fantastic example of a guy who matured physically early. Such atrocious decision making.
All hockey experts seem to agree that you need size to win in playoffs. Andre Tourigny, Danny Dubé, Pierre Mcguire among some. Vegas' blueline is averaging 6'3, Boston Bruins had an all time reccord season with a big strong puck possession team. St-Louis Blues won a cup with a huge mobile blueline, Habs reached the Stanley cup finale with a meciocre foward crop and a big strong blueline + elite goaltending. Tampa won cups with Hedman 6'6, Sergachev 6'3, Mcdonagh 6'1, Ruuta 6'3, Cernak 6'4. Yeah they were pretty skilled up front, but their blueline was huge and talented.

Reinbacher would be fine. I don't love him as much as you do but his profile and play shows promise, there's absolutely something to take away. Leonard, eh, I think he's getting overrated because of something another player did in the NHL playoffs (and I think the Tkachuk comparisons are lazy, Tkachuk was 100% a higher upside prospect with terrific vision), but I do think he'd be fantastic for a team's transition game. No one can say if he's a future star or not, but he should be able to find a role regardless.

But I better not f***ing hear Dvorsky's name at #5. That would make me lose it; that would 100% be Bobrov bull**** if it came to that.

Last edited:

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I think a lot of people were getting cold by the end October. Nothing is etched in stone but he seems like a fantastic example of a guy who matured physically early. Such atrocious decision making.

Reinbacher would be fine. I don't love him as much as you do but his profile and play shows promise, there's absolutely something to take away. Leonard, eh, I think he's getting overrated because of something another player did in the NHL playoffs (and I think the Tkachuk comparisons are lazy, Tkachuk was 100% a higher upside prospect with terrific vision), but I do think he'd be fantastic for a team's transition game. No one can say if he's a

But I better not f***ing hear Dvorsky's name at #5. That would make me lose my shit.
Leonard is not a Tkachuk. He’s not a Power Forward. The guy is litterally Mike Keane that has a better shot and scores more goals. He’ll give lots of bodychecks sure… The Tkachuk’s and Ovechkin would eat this guy for breakfast.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Not me. Not anymore after what the league has become, basically a crapshoot with too many irrelevant teams and franchises, controlled by a pro-US money-obsessed alien coming from the NBA.
Yes a one off championship over prolonged success is not optimal but the goal is building a multi cup winning team. If they gotta LA Kings it, I'd be fine. If you're more interested in pure on ice theatrics and entertainment over winning consecutively then I don't know what to tell you. Some of us weren't born before 93 so the cup(s) is the goal to hope for

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Yes a one off championship over prolonged success is not optimal but the goal is building a multi cup winning team. If they gotta LA Kings it, I'd be fine. If you're more interested in pure on ice theatrics and entertainment over winning consecutively then I don't know what to tell you. Some of us weren't born before 93 so the cup(s) is the goal to hope for
Why not both? Tampa won 2 cups with highly skilled players, Pittsburgh won 3 and Chicago won 3. The hope is that skill leads to a cup and that is far more probable anyways than grinding your way to a cup.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

The Montreal Canadians are supposed to win Cups.......cheering for anything less as a Hab fan is just wrong.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

False dichotomy.

The reason McDavid hasn't won is because of shit decisions by GMs and bad luck (Klefbom). I'd take McDavid over a one year one-off, which anyway is unlikely.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Leonard is not a Tkachuk. He’s not a Power Forward. The guy is litterally Mike Keane that has a better shot and scores more goals. He’ll give lots of bodychecks sure… The Tkachuk’s and Ovechkin would eat this guy for breakfast.

Mike Keane is a bit of a stretch as Leonard is definitely a better skater with better hands but I agree that the comparisons with the Tkachuk brothers is also a poor one. I have said that Hyman is the best comp although he is also bigger than Leonard, perhaps J.T. Miller is his upside but once again Miller is still bigger than Leonard.

I see him as a hybrid of Hyman and Konecny if all goes well with his development.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Will play the Devil’s advocate here.
1.We have the opportunity to draft a big, smooth skating top RD with great puck poise, passing skills, physicality who is elite at breaking plays
I’ll agree with most of it. But he does this by keeping everything extremely simple and making short simple passes.
and who can generate offense by rushing the puck up ice or great outlet passses.
A limited puck rusher. As a rule, he never goes end to end nor jumps in the attack.
He’ll skate the puck to top of his zone or before the red line and makes a short outlet pass to the closest player open. He rarely if ever attempts a long tape-to-tape transition pass.

Skating the puck up ice: 2:03 and 2:20 min mark.

Long outlet passes: 5:18 5:28 5:46 mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad