HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I don't think there's much of a chance of getting 3rd. Columbus' recent moves make it seem like they want to be competing again next season and the desperately need a C that can step in(Fantilli/Carlsson).
That's true but I've seen that they might be interested in Smith. Habs having 4 would've made things so much easier

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
For the people that are high on Leonard what do you guys project he will be in the NHL?

My concern is that he’s being compared to the Tkachucks but does not have their size which is a huge part of their game.
Even though he's smaller than the Tkachuk's, I can still see Leonard's physical play and attributes being effective at the NHL, similar to a guy like Blake Coleman who might actually be a bit smaller than Leonard. But I'd say that Leonard has more hockey skill overall than Coleman has, and I think that's why it seems more natural to compare him with the Tkachuks.

Leonard's game seems really projectable to the NHL to me - I think it's just a matter of how good he might get. I'd say that Leonard projects somewhere between a guy like Coleman and Matthew Tkachuk.

Reactions: Vachon23

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If there's no smokescreen and Michkov doesn't seem keen on coming to MTL, you can't go wrong with Benson. Goalscoring is king, but almost all of Michkov's flaws aren't concerns with Benson.

In that case, take Michkov at 5 and flip him to Washington for a ransom and hope Benson is there at 8.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Odda for habs pick. Leonard goes from +500 to +200 on Loto-Quebec today. Reinbacher from +500 to +300, Michkov drops to +450 (leader to 3rd). You still can find Leonard with +550 on somes others sites

I prepare myself to be a hockey fan pissed but an happy gambler. Remember how good it was to get Kotkaniemi at +1900

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You love flash and spectacular stuff.

You ignore what actually wins games at the end of the day.
Benson is the best defensive player in the whole draft, one of the best transition player and one of the best forechecker.

I may like flash and spectacular stuff, but at least my opinion is formed around facts and not weird presumption or flat out guessing.

In this case you just guessed Benson was a high Octane low implication offensive forward because hes 5'10? Lol.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Way too much drama with Michkov.
Would not pick this kid.
Maybe half of it is a ploy to get to WSH, so be it.
Not worth the risk with all the BS that’s coming with the pick.

Reactions: Lockin17

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Benson is the best defensive player in the whole draft, one of the best transition player and one of the best forechecker.

I may like flash and spectacular stuff, but at least my opinion is formed around facts and not weird presumption or flat out guessing.

In this case you just guessed Benson was a high Octane low implication offensive forward because hes 5'10? Lol.

The interesting thing with Benson is that he just turned 18 and is only 160lbs. His game is really based on his amazing IQ and intuitive feel for pressure and space. He will definitely add some mass, how will that help his game? Maybe he can get a bit quicker and more solid making his amazing boardwork even better.

I'm slightly concerned he won't be able to add mass quickly, but he certainly has upside. I wish he played C. You definitely can count on him hustling his butt off every shift.

This guy never watched a single game of Benson.

What? Now you want us to watch the players before having opinions??? You burning it all to the ground man!

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
The interesting thing with Benson is that he just turned 18 and is only 160lbs. His game is really based on his amazing IQ and intuitive feel for pressure and space. He will definitely add some mass, how will that help his game? Maybe he can get a bit quicker and more solid making his amazing boardwork even better.

I'm slightly concerned he won't be able to add mass quickly, but he certainly has upside. I wish he played C. You definitely can count on him hustling his butt off every shift.

What? Now you want us to watch the players before having opinions??? You burning it all to the ground man!
He's 5'9.75" and 170-175 lbs right now. He could fill out to 190 pretty easily he's a really solid kid already, good balance and ive seen bigger players bounce off him.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
32 thoughts.

They state it was hard to talk to Michkov, even if you got into Russia. They think he might be trying to get himself to a certain team
I've been saying something along the lines of this since November and fully believe it.

My theory is that Michkov has no interest in playing for the "less desirable" teams that frequent the top-5 on any given year and has signed the contract as a way to try and manipulate them into not drafting him similar to how Jagr did it in his draft year.

For those of you unfamiliar with the story, the oral history is that Jagr wanted to play with Mario. In Jagr's draft year Pittsburgh had the 5th pick. Jagr told teams 1-4 that he wouldn't come over for a few more years, but then told Pittsburgh he would show up tomorrow if they picked him. The rest is history.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Leonard is not the reincarnation of Steve Begin!

All that dipsy doodle we can see on those highlights for these highly skilled guys in junior are rarely translatable to the NHL, even less to the NHL playoffs.
Sure, like with Hughes, Zegras, Caufield, Dach from the 2019 draft class. Never managed to translate their skill in the NHL. They're complete busts. Should've drafted great forechecker with size Podkolzin.

MeanMugging91

Jan 6, 2016

Watch this and in addition to the skill and talent outlined in this video, it seems to me that Benson's strengths are exactly the type of game that MSL wants to play... Am I wrong?

The only knock on him is his size and some would say his straight line speed. He's very talented has wicked IQ and the compete of a bulldog.
I'm starting to warm up to the idea IF they 100% don't want to draft Michkov and Smith is off the board that Benson Is the guy they should draft.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
The only knock on him is his size and some would say his straight line speed. He's very talented has wicked IQ and the compete of a bulldog.
I'm starting to warm up to the idea IF they 100% don't want to draft Michkov and Smith is off the board that Benson Is the guy they should draft.
If Benson was 2 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier then I think he wouldn't be far out of the conversation of guys like Carlsson/Fantilli.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
In that case, take Michkov at 5 and flip him to Washington for a ransom and hope Benson is there at 8.
We both know it's not going to happen. Also if WSH know Michkov only wants to play for them, they're not paying a ransom for him. Take Benson at 5, and don't risk ending up with Dvorsky at 8.

If Benson was 2 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier then I think he wouldn't be far out of the conversation of guys like Carlsson/Fantilli.
He's already close to Carlsson imo, but to be fair, i don't know if his style of play would work as well if he was bigger.

He's a top-3 pick in most years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad