HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
The only knock on him is his size and some would say his straight line speed. He's very talented has wicked IQ and the compete of a bulldog.
I'm starting to warm up to the idea IF they 100% don't want to draft Michkov and Smith is off the board that Benson Is the guy they should draft.
I’ve looked at Michkov and Benson back to back a few times. Michkov is clearly faster. I think both skaters will be fine but if you consider Michkov’s straightine speed is an issue in the NHL (it’s not) then you’ll really have a problem with Benson.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Odda for habs pick. Leonard goes from +500 to +200 on Loto-Quebec today. Reinbacher from +500 to +300, Michkov drops to +450 (leader to 3rd). You still can find Leonard with +550 on somes others sites

I prepare myself to be a hockey fan pissed but an happy gambler. Remember how good it was to get Kotkaniemi at +1900

Yep, the odds were better yesterday

I told you guys

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Seems like the new flavor of the week is... Zach Benson!

- First it was Smith vs. Benson
- Then after U18 it was Smith
- Then when it looked like Smith would not be available, it was Michkov rah rah rah
- When it looked like Michkov was a no-draft, it was Leonard
- Now it's back to Benson!

Of course we still have the rah rah rah about Michkov though...

Can't wait for the next bandwagon!

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016

- Then when it looked like Smith would not be available, it was Michkov rah rah rah

Maybe we should follow @Goldenhands and be all in on Reinbacher. At least they'd finally have a proper top pairing since Markov-Subban that can shutdown any line potentially

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

BensonBoys remain loyal, loud and proud.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

You forgot Dvorsky and Reinbacher.

But the BensonBoys knew this is a marathon not a sprint.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
My prediction is if Hughes can’t move into the Top 4 and the Top 4 go as is expected with Michkov available at 5 we trade our pick to the Wings for 9 & 17. There are 4 players interchangeable in that 2nd tier (Leonard, Benson, Reinbacher, Dvorsky, maybe even Wood) that I can live with if we are dead set against taking MM. Wings have a long history of Russian players/stars. We will also get a very good player at 17 or maybe use our 31st to move into the early teens.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Apparently the Caps Russian's amateur scout came out and said that Michkov is just a giant douche towards teammates, coaches, management and fans. Obviously don't know if this is true, or maybe a tactic to get Mickov to drop to their pick. He did have an interview shortly after his father passed away and he came off as a good kid so who f***ing knows.
Montreal seems to be avoiding Michkov for a reason.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018

Leonard got in there for a couple weeks as well.

In fact in betting odds Leonard as the best quote

Reactions: Gustave

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Montreal seems to be avoiding Michkov for a reason.
It certainly seems like the team is building towards a cohesive unit where everyone plays for the guy beside them. If Mitchy is a selfish player, maybe that goes against the team philosophy. Could be a million things but I'm sure that doesn't help.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
If Benson was 2 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier then I think he wouldn't be far out of the conversation of guys like Carlsson/Fantilli.
He is not 2 inches taller and 30’pounds heavier. Like Leonard doesnt have the same size than Tkachuk brothers. Like Hutson is 5 ft 8. Size is important and you shouldny compare when a player isnt the size we want. One year, my friend was the best player of the Q at 5ft 6. He was useless in the AHL.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Leonard is not a Tkachuk. He’s not a Power Forward. The guy is litterally Mike Keane that has a better shot and scores more goals. He’ll give lots of bodychecks sure… The Tkachuk’s and Ovechkin would eat this guy for breakfast.

Some quotes from his head coach:

"He wakes up every mornings to play playoffs hockey, even in the practices"

"He is a rare mix of physical strength and individual skills. You put all those elements together and he can change the course of the game different ways. All these attributes explain why he is so coveted.by teams and coachs."

Compared to Cutter Gauthier in term of physical involvement, smaller than Gauthier sure, but more agressive. Not sure how you can watch Leonard and not call him a power foward, thats exactly what he is. Pounds per pounds one of the strongest player in the draft. His skating is powerful, his shot is powerful, he has power moves in his toolbox and he constantly overpowers his opponents physically,

About Dvorsky, I agree about the skating but you are completely off about his puck possession skills. He has very good hands and uses his frame, stick work greatly to keep possession. Skating is not bad, but definitely the area he needs to focuss the most on. Just a reminder that he is 6'1 200 lbs

Chris Peters, Flo hockey journalist says some scouts prefer Leonard to Smith. Thats what Recrutes is reporting as well.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Maybe we should follow @Goldenhands and be all in on Reinbacher. At least they'd finally have a proper top pairing since Markov-Subban that can shutdown any line potentially
We are not making the call hehe, everyone is allowed to have his favorites, thats perfectly fine, but it wont influence who our scouting staff will draft one bit.

Last edited:

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021

"He wakes up every mornings to play playoffs hockey, even in the practices"

"He is a rare mix of physical strength and individual skills. You put all those elements together and he can change the course of the game of different ways. All these attributes explain why he is so coveted.by teams and coachs."

Compared to Cutter Gauthier in term of physical involvement, smaller than Gauthier sure, but more agressive. Not sure how you can watch Leonard and not call him a power foward, thats exactly what he is. Pounds per pounds one of the strongest player in the draft. His skating is powerful, his shot is powerful, he has power moves in his toolbox and he constantly overpowers his opponents physically,

About Dvorsky, I agree about the skating but you are completely off about his puck possession skills. He has very good hands and uses his frame, stick work greatly to keep possession. Skating is not bad, but definitely the area he needs to focuss the most on.

Chris Peters, Flo hockey journalist says some scouts prefer Leonard to Smith. Thats what Recrutes is reporting as well.

"He is a rare mix of physical strength and individual skills.

He checks a lot and likes contact, but he misses some checks, often falls.

You put all those elements together and he can change the course of the game of different ways. All these attributes explain why he is so coveted.by teams and coachs."

I agree about this

Compared to Cutter Gauthier in term of physical involvement, smaller than Gauthier sure, but more agressive.

Agreed

Not sure how you can watch Leonard and not call him a power foward, thats exactly what he is.
How small can a power forward be. We have a different definition.
Pounds per pounds one of the strongest player in the draft.
Maybe in the gym? He doesn't pulverize players and has trouble hitting players over 6 feet.

His skating is powerful, his shot is powerful,

Agreed
he has power moves in his toolbox and he constantly overpowers his opponents physically,
He picks up the puck and shoots on net. Ill go back to check if he leans into players. If he does it must be rare.

About Dvorsky, I agree about the skating but you are completely off about his puck possession skills. He has very good hands and uses his frame, stick work greatly to keep possession.

He’s good with puck possession . Ive seen him do power moves (unlike Leonard). His stickhandling is simple but he does not lose the puck.

Skating is not bad, but definitely the area he needs to focuss the most on.

It’s an extreme minority opinion. If McKenzie says some scouts prefer Leonard, i’ll take note.

Reactions: McGees
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad