Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I’ve kinda felt over the years that Madden is a very matter of fact and seemingly honest guy. Like he’s pretty blunt about player upside and descriptions. I think what people are picking up on is the ‘straight-line’ adjective. He just didn’t take the time to find a word that was a little softer.
Exactly that part. Felt almost like saying he can't do east to west and is just north/south.

I get that and I'm not going to read too much into what he said. But having said that, if you take the names away and rate the players strictly based upon his descriptions, how would you rank them?

Here's how I would:
1st - creative, fast, elusive and dynamic forward
2nd - intelligent, creative big man who is imposing and competitive
3rd - fast-paced, straight line, skilled forward.
Yeah, Smith by description sounds like the most skilled of the three but he's only 6'0

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Exactly that part. Felt almost like saying he can't do east to west and is just north/south.

Yeah, Smith by description sounds like the most skilled of the three but he's only 6'0
It just makes me wonder...does "fast pace, straight line, skilled forward" sound like a player who is considered a franchise player? Sounds like Emerson Etem to me. It sure doesn't sound like he's describing a player he is thrilled to have the opportunity to draft.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary

I don’t think he’d say that if you ask him. Players that are only north/south can’t score goals like the one at the WC. Etem couldn’t do that in a million years

He probably wanted to answer the question as succinctly as possible and that term is a way of concisely and accurately summing him up in as few words as possible because it is one of the defining characteristics of his game, but certainly not the only one

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It just makes me wonder...does "fast pace, straight line, skilled forward" sound like a player who is considered a franchise player? Sounds like Emerson Etem to me. It sure doesn't sound like he's describing a player he is thrilled to have the opportunity to draft.
Or Mogilny. Or Bure.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Lindros, MacKinnon...
In a sentence, how would you describe Lindros, Mackinnon, and Eichel? Those guys are what Fantilli has been compared to. It sure what be more effusive than "fast pace, straight line, skilled forward". That's my only point. IMO, he was either intentionally downplaying Fantilli or subconsciously being honest about how he felt about him.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
In a sentence, how would you describe Lindros, Mackinnon, and Eichel? Those guys are what Fantilli has been compared to. It sure what be more effusive than "fast pace, straight line, skilled forward". That's my only point. IMO, he was either intentionally downplaying Fantilli or subconsciously being honest about how he felt about him.
Elides both situational and person-specific context. Your logic is terrible and that's why your conclusions are bad. They might end up picking Carlsson but that still wouldn't validate your theory based on what Madden said elsewhere in the same interview.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
There was probably some who wanted Zacha cause he's 6'3 and plays in a mens league.
My point is no matter how many Buffalo fans wanted Eichel at 2OA, he eventually didn’t want them. And watching him lift the cup was a dagger.

If PV senses there are red flags, he can’t waste the pick regardless of player fit or ceiling.

For that reason I’ve got to accept the pick.

John

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Elides both situational and person-specific context. Your logic is terrible and that's why your conclusions are bad. They might end up picking Carlsson but that still wouldn't validate your theory based on what Madden said elsewhere in the same interview.
It really has nothing to do with logic and I don't know who they'll draft. I'm just observing that IMO the way he described Fantilli does NOT meet the criteria of a so called franchise player. Especially when compared to how he described Carlsson and Smith. No problem if you disagree.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Or maybe he was just blowing smoke up the ass of some media clown who thought he could trick him into revealing who the Ducks would pick?

Reactions: Yemeth
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Draft day can’t come soon enough. Reading some of these posts? Good grief.

We pick Carlsson great, we pick Fantilli great.

The one think I am having a hard time seeing are these Nathan MacKinnon projections by some people all over social media. I just don’t see it. I feel like NM really turned into the player he became a few years ago

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I wish I had your confidence. The Ducks haven't exactly been stellar at drafting forwards.
And it started so well with
1687582174166.png

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
From the Madden interview:
With several projected top prospects available to the Ducks at No. 2, what quality of player do you expect that pick to become?
MM: I don't mind characterizing the top five, or certainly top four depending on if you want to include one extra player, as excellent. I think 2, 3 and 4 are going to be impact players in the league. They're all going to be different players, I think actually quite different in what they bring and how they bring it, as much statistically as the impact they have on a team and its competitiveness in the league. I believe those players are all special.

I wonder if that extra player is Michkov or Smith?

Madden feels strongly about picks 2, 3, and 4. We kinda know that Fantilli and Carlsson are in the top-4 since Verbeek went to the WC to watch both. Both are centers and maybe that fourth player is Smith, also a center.

The only thing definitive we can say is that the org gets to choose which style of player they want out of players ranked 2-4, where all the players are going to be special, according to Madden.

I'm more intrigued with the four picks in the first 33 selections on Day 2 of the draft: 33rd, 59th, 60th, and 65th. Players I've denoted that we could chase after in previous posts:

6'3 RW Halttunen (PF)
6'3 F Nelson (PF, converted from D)
6'2 LW Suniev (BCHL)
6'3 LW Myatovic (noted more for his defense)
6'3 RD Andrew Gibson (fast skating, still developing his defense)
6'0 C Carey Terrance (high end skater, needs to work on defense)

Newer prospects to keep an eye on:

6'3 C Anton Wahlberg (PF)
6'3 RW Zachary Nehring (high schooler)
6'6 G Damien Clara
6'2 RD Dylan MacKinnon (shutdown D, with potential for more offense ... like D Hinds)

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
I don’t think he’d say that if you ask him. Players that are only north/south can’t score goals like the one at the WC. Etem couldn’t do that in a million years

He probably wanted to answer the question as succinctly as possible and that term is a way of concisely and accurately summing him up in as few words as possible because it is one of the defining characteristics of his game, but certainly not the only one

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
From the Madden interview:
With several projected top prospects available to the Ducks at No. 2, what quality of player do you expect that pick to become?
MM: I don't mind characterizing the top five, or certainly top four depending on if you want to include one extra player, as excellent. I think 2, 3 and 4 are going to be impact players in the league. They're all going to be different players, I think actually quite different in what they bring and how they bring it, as much statistically as the impact they have on a team and its competitiveness in the league. I believe those players are all special.

I wonder if that extra player is Michkov or Smith?

Madden feels strongly about picks 2, 3, and 4. We kinda know that Fantilli and Carlsson are in the top-4 since Verbeek went to the WC to watch both. Both are centers and maybe that fourth player is Smith, also a center.

The only thing definitive we can say is that the org gets to choose which style of player they want out of players ranked 2-4, where all the players are going to be special, according to Madden.

I'm more intrigued with the four picks in the first 33 selections on Day 2 of the draft: 33rd, 59th, 60th, and 65th. Players I've denoted that we could chase after in previous posts:

6'3 RW Halttunen (PF)
6'3 F Nelson (PF, converted from D)
6'2 LW Suniev (BCHL)
6'3 LW Myatovic (noted more for his defense)
6'3 RD Andrew Gibson (fast skating, still developing his defense)
6'0 C Carey Terrance (high end skater, needs to work on defense)

Newer prospects to keep an eye on:

6'3 C Anton Wahlberg (PF)
6'3 RW Zachary Nehring (high schooler)
6'6 G Damien Clara
6'2 RD Dylan MacKinnon (shutdown D, with potential for more offense ... like D Hinds)

NHL network will make a killing on advertising this year, with the Ducks having so many picks.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
The only thing I got from the Madden interview was that it seems they have a bit of a tier between 2-5, with different individuals on the scouting staff preferring different players. Man I wish we had pick number 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad