Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I feel like the idea of FAs not wanting to come here is very over blown around this forum. There is actually a lot of evidence of mid tier guys coming here over the years and that's honestly what we're talking about. We don't know what Mayfields motivations and maybe we don't get him, doesn't mean we should discount the idea outright. You talk about it as I'd there is 0 chance. I'd like to at least we're trying. Obviously sometimes everything you want to do doesn't come to fruition. Doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do.

I find it very hard to get excited about a team who isn't trying to improve by using available avenues to them. You say PV will live or die at the draft table but isn't that true for just about everyone? No team is built solely by the draft. Or even the vast majority. And by vast I mean 70% or more. Even Tampa had 9 players on their cup team that they didn't draft. That's 40% of the team. I do agree that the team will have to find NHL players outside the top 10.
Well knock yourself out hoping for deliverance thru free agency. Last year PV added Strome, Vatrano, and Klingberg and the team finished DFL. Money well spent.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Draft day drinking game:
If it's Fantilli mix some fanta with rum and drink.
If it's Carlsson drink a shot of Swedish Vodka.
If it's Smith drink a shot of Jack Daniel's.
If it's Michkov drink a shot of Russian Vodka.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
No it won't, fantilli has been been overwhelming consensus number 2 player for quite some time if those guys end up better theres not going to be alot of "look how stupid Anaheim is" there are perfectly good reasons to pass on Michkov in particular anyways

Gosh I really hope our GM isn’t such a whimp that he would think like that….You would make a lot of bad draft picks if you make them because you are scared of deviating from consensus.. even by one spot (assuming I even agree that there is a consensus).

Reactions: Deuce22

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Well knock yourself out hoping for deliverance thru free agency. Last year PV added Strome, Vatrano, and Klingberg and the team finished DFL. Money well spent.
I'd argue thats because he added D that didn't actually fit our needs and kept Eakins. The idea of "looking for the right players not the best players" comes to mind. I do believe that more defined roles and structure will do a lot for this team.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
1687847239559.jpeg

@Leonardo87 if you order quickly, you can be set up for Wednesday…

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Most teams that go against the consensus seem to do well because its that their scouts have really found a guy that is good.
Arizona is the only team I think that hasn't done well going against the consensus, take for example them picking Strome in 2015 because they wanted a big physical center cause of pacific division centers, then 2019 when they trade up for Soderstrom because they had him as Top3 pick on their list.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'd love for Verbeek to just take the 5th round pick and go to the Yotes and say "here, take it, you guys are in a really bad shape, maybe this helps". We'd lose a pick but that'd send a message :laugh:
Arizona will then use a RNG calculator to decide who they pick with that 5th round pick.
They take the numbers from the calculator and decipher it via a decoder ring their GM got in a cereal box as a kid.

Last edited:

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
GM Verbeek has already stated he prefers players that are overripen. Fantilli or Carlsson returning to their respective teams isn't a negative. If there's rumors we're in on Michkov, then that's a three year wait. Why would a one-year wait deter Verbeek from selecting Fantilli or Carlsson if we're thinking about Michkov?
Both Fantilli and Carlsson had huge jumps in their games with their respective teams. Another year of development in those programs can only be good. For Fantilli, he loves the physical game, but his body isn't NHL-ready. With other Michigan players who stayed two seasons, Fantilli has great sources to rely upon - including 2023 Calder Trophy winner Matty Beniers. The hope for Carlsson is that he will play center with Orebro in the SHL, Sweden's top men's league.
Stephens reported that Newell Brown is returning as Ducks asst coach, but Stothers will be special advisor to coaching mentorship. Stothers might still be recovering from cancer and this move is less stressful. I'm not impressed with our assistant coaches in Anaheim so far. We finished last in the league.
In San Diego, we're running back the assistant coaches in Sparre and Clarke. We also finished last in the league, the AHL.
Due to the uncertainty of our coaching going into this season, I'd prefer whoever we pick at #2 should return to their respective program because their environment is a better environment to develop within. Zegras did a one-and-done in college. There was no feeling he wouldn't sign. With McTavish, he returned to juniors for a season and then came over to the NHL. Neither player's development were hindered.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Steve7812

Feb 5, 2018
New York

The Mayor doubling down on a Q&A on Twitter last night. Followed right along by someone asking what are the chances PV trades down to which he responds “No Clue. He plays it close to the vest. If hes not drafting Fantilli he should trade back.” So if PV plays it close to his vest which we know he does…who exactly is he hearing the Carlsson smoke from lol

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

The Mayor doubling down on a Q&A on Twitter last night. Followed right along by someone asking what are the chances PV trades down to which he responds “No Clue. He plays it close to the vest. If hes not drafting Fantilli he should trade back.” So if PV plays it close to his vest which we know he does…who exactly is he hearing the Carlsson smoke from lol

Teams have meetings, several of them. PV can keep it as close as he wants, but there are many people that can leak the info. Mayor has been very good source for Anaheim before, he certainly has some intel. Of course it might be that someone is setting up a smoke screen but to me it sounds more and more that we're going the Carlsson route. I'd still prefer Fantilli but if this is what we're going with then let it be. But then I am less clear on what's the actual vision for Pat, which is the most confusing thing for me in this.

Steve7812

Feb 5, 2018
New York
Teams have meetings, several of them. PV can keep it as close as he wants, but there are many people that can leak the info. Mayor has been very good source for Anaheim before, he certainly has some intel. Of course it might be that someone is setting up a smoke screen but to me it sounds more and more that we're going the Carlsson route. I'd still prefer Fantilli but if this is what we're going with then let it be. But then I am less clear on what's the actual vision for Pat, which is the most confusing thing for me in this.
Very True, just get skeptical like a bunch of others. Like both players but do lean Fantilli as well. Eric Stephens just put out an article a few ago explaining his own opinion and rationale why Verbeek needs to draft Fantilli but also noting wont be surprised with him picking someone else. Been wondering when hed write anything regarding this lol.

Reactions: Kalv

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
I'm going to enjoy watching the meltdown when we select Carlsson. Its going to be like McTavish all over again.

I think PV values size and hockey IQ which would put Carlsson ahead of Fantilli.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Steve7812

Feb 5, 2018
New York
I'm going to enjoy watching the meltdown when we select Carlsson. Its going to be like McTavish all over again.

I think PV values size and hockey IQ which would put Carlsson ahead of Fantilli.
Wasnt really paying attention to the boards around that draft. Did the McTavish pick cause that much of an uproar ? Lol , with Fantilli being pumped as the best player at #2 in a lot of media outlets I can see a lot of casual fans getting pissed curious the reaction at the draft party lol. Few weeks back ran into a ducks fan which is hard to do by me and he started immediately talking about Fantilli and I said I think good chance we could go Carlsson and he wasnt happy with me saying so lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad