Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

If anyone is interested in Wheelers final mock draft for 1st & 2nd Rd that came out this morning, His picks for ducks as followed:

No. 2: Adam Fantilli, C
No. 33: Gavin Brindley, C
No. 59: Jacob Fowler, G
No. 60: Maxim Strbak, RHD
I like that draft tbh.

Get a goalie, a stay at home defensemen and 2 top6 players

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I really don't see the Ducks taking a goalie in the first 3 rounds. Especially with Maddens comments about how good the players are that will be available with their first 5 picks.

In Maddens time this is the goalies and the round we have drafted them in:
Cousineau - 3
Bobkov - 3
Gibson- 2
Andersen - 3
Metcalf - 6
Eriksson Ek - 6
Durny - 5
Dostal - 3
Alexander - 5
Buteyets - 6

The Ducks have only drafted 1 guy in the 2nd and it was Gibson who was WAY more hyped then any goalie in this draft. All the others have generally been late 3rds or later, and anecdotally speaking the late 3rd is where the level of players available starts to drop.

I don't see any reason for the Ducks to draft a goalie in the first 3 rounds. Goalie is not a need organizationally, and they can take shots on goalies later in the draft. If they take a goalie with one of those first 5 picks I will be really annoyed.

Who had a meltdown? I think I was one of the more vocal opponents to drafting McTavish over Hughes or Eklund, but I don't think people were calling for Maddens job or anything.
I’m okay taking a goalie….

4 forwards and a goalie would make sense to me unless a dmen were high on is around. If gibson is on his way out a goalie like Clara makes sense to me.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
If indeed we take Carlsson, PV apparently does not have any interest in winning a cup. He is the opposite of a player made for the playoffs. But that's just my stance...
I’ve heard Barkov comparisons. Barkov who was just invisible in the finals vs. Vegas when the Panthers needed someone to step up with the Tkachuk injury.

Barkov is a really good regular season player, but if we get a Barkov with the 2nd overall pick of our tanking season, I will be disappointed.

Reactions: 70sSanO

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Matt Wood at 33? what the hell, I mean I would LOVE that to happen but there's no way in hell he doesn't go in that 10-20 range if not earlier, Morin and Mania would make our already insane defensive prospect pool out of this world but I suspect we end up going heavy on the forward picks this year
Yeah, no chance we take a D from this shallow pool with that pick. These guys might not be top-5 D prospects on Anaheim.

We see someone among these still available at #33:
Musty, Lardis, Sawchyn, Edström, Gauthier, Heidt, Mølgaard, Nelson.

All of whom would become Ducks best offensive prospects after Fantilli.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I’m okay taking a goalie….

4 forwards and a goalie would make sense to me unless a dmen were high on is around. If gibson is on his way out a goalie like Clara makes sense to me.
Gibson being on his way out has zero effect on me for if we should draft a goalie or not.

They take so long to develop and are such a shitshow I think you just need a constant stream every couple years. The guy they draft this year likely wouldn't be NHL ready until Gibson's contract is up anyways.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Yeah, no chance we take a D from this shallow pool with that pick. These guys might not be top-5 D prospects on Anaheim.

We see someone among these still available at #33:
Musty, Lardis, Sawchyn, Edström, Gauthier, Heidt, Mølgaard, Nelson.

All of whom would become Ducks best offensive prospects after Fantilli.
I mean, you could have said the same thing about Luneau last year. They shouldn't just stop selecting defensemen if a guy they really like is still there.

Reactions: lwvs84

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I mean, you could have said the same thing about Luneau last year. They shouldn't just stop selecting defensemen if a guy they really like is still there.
I disagree, Luneau was considered a great prospect before his injury and teams were weary of that, he was clearly the BPA at where we picked him, he was that at Warren's spot. Last years defense crop also trounces this years crop.

Only the very best defense prospects this year are worth considering and none ahead of the forwards this year's pool has, doubly so for the Ducks.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
I think But is one of those guys a GM falls in love with due to his physical makeup. I expect him gone closer to 15 then 33.

He would be awesome at 33.
oh yeah I fully expect him to be gone at 33, I'm just holding on to the small hope that he's still there based on some rankings having him lower than 33

Reactions: Gliff

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I disagree, Luneau was considered a great prospect before his injury and teams were weary of that, he was clearly the BPA at where we picked him, he was that at Warren's spot. Last years defense crop also trounces this years crop.

Only the very best defense prospects this year are worth considering and none ahead of the forwards this year's pool has, doubly so for the Ducks.
That's easy for you to say 12 months later. I also was more hyped about Luneau then Warren after the draft, but Luneau was coming off a major injury. There was a reason he was drafted where he was. He just had an amazing D+1.

I don't think anyone here expected Luneau to be a top 5 prospect for us 12 months later. In fact, he was 14th in our last prospect rankings.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I’ve heard Barkov comparisons. Barkov who was just invisible in the finals vs. Vegas when the Panthers needed someone to step up with the Tkachuk injury.

Barkov is a really good regular season player, but if we get a Barkov with the 2nd overall pick of our tanking season, I will be disappointed.
We’ve also heard Kopitar comparisons. Just because he’s compared to Barkov doesn’t mean anything on how he’ll perform in the playoffs. You could make the same argument if Fantilli does try to play like Tkachuk, he might fly to close to the sun and get taken out of the series just like happened vs Vegas. Luckily for them it was later in the run, but playing that style puts a target on your back.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
We’ve also heard Kopitar comparisons. Just because he’s compared to Barkov doesn’t mean anything on how he’ll perform in the playoffs. You could make the same argument if Fantilli does try to play like Tkachuk, he might fly to close to the sun and get taken out of the series just like happened vs Vegas. Luckily for them it was later in the run, but playing that style puts a target on your back.
True. It’s probably just personal preference at this point. I’d rather have a MacKinnon/Tkachuk hybrid than a Kopitar/Barkov hybrid. Different style of hockey, but both will be very good players.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Pronman and Wheeler on the Fantilli vs Carlsson debate:

Bultman: While we’re on the subject of separating lines, let’s talk about the two big centers at the top of the class, Fantilli and Leo Carlsson. Scott, you have them back-to-back at Nos. 3 and 4 in the same tier. Corey has them at 2 and 4, but as he alluded previously with enough of a “significant gap” to put them in different tiers. How close are Fantilli and Carlsson for you?

Wheeler: There’s enough of a gap for me that Carlsson never ranked ahead of Fantilli on any of my lists this year, but not enough of one to slot them into different tiers. I think most scouts would agree Carlsson’s the smarter player/passer offensively. They both grade out similarly for me in terms of puck skill, too. But Fantilli’s athletic gifts give him the edge. He’s further along physically, he’s a better skater, and he plays with more of a competitive edge if you will. I think that gives him a little more upside and a little more certainty. Fantilli’s going to be able to involve himself in the play more frequently.

Bultman: Corey, how would you characterize the difference on your list?

Pronman: I see a sizeable gap. I agree Carlsson is smarter, he’s slightly bigger, and for me that’s where his advantages end. Fantilli skates better, is more competitive, way more physical and has a better shot. I also think his pure hands/skill are better even if Carlsson grades very highly in that area. Fantilli for me has take you out of your seat type of hands. He also had a dominant, historic season at Michigan where he’s entered among the very best draft seasons ever by a first year draft eligible with Jack Eichel and Paul Kariya. Carlsson had a fantastic season in the SHL, and among the best by a first year player in the modern era, but I see a gap there. So I think Fantilli had a better season, and has a more translatable toolkit. The big argument against him is hockey sense, but I don’t think Carlsson is dramatically smarter to close all those other gaps. Mind you, I think if you take Carlsson or Will Smith over Fantilli you’re leaving a lot on the table. Some may argue this is Nathan MacKinnon vs. Aleksander Barkov again, but for me it’s closer to Jack Eichel vs. Dylan Strome.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
That's easy for you to say 12 months later. I also was more hyped about Luneau then Warren after the draft, but Luneau was coming off a major injury. There was a reason he was drafted where he was. He just had an amazing D+1.

I don't think anyone here expected Luneau to be a top 5 prospect for us 12 months later. In fact, he was 14th in our last prospect rankings.
McKeen's had Luneau ranked #29, consolidated he was #31. We got him 53rd.

He had a good year prior to draft before his injury where he was discussed as challenger to the best NA defensemen of his draft. It's more about him gaining his leg strentgh and catching up on his development. Call it hindsight or acknowledge that those were the talking points around 2022 draft about Luneau, the point remains that there is no Luneau around the top10 D prospects IMO.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Pronman and Wheeler on the Fantilli vs Carlsson debate:

Bultman: While we’re on the subject of separating lines, let’s talk about the two big centers at the top of the class, Fantilli and Leo Carlsson. Scott, you have them back-to-back at Nos. 3 and 4 in the same tier. Corey has them at 2 and 4, but as he alluded previously with enough of a “significant gap” to put them in different tiers. How close are Fantilli and Carlsson for you?

Wheeler: There’s enough of a gap for me that Carlsson never ranked ahead of Fantilli on any of my lists this year, but not enough of one to slot them into different tiers. I think most scouts would agree Carlsson’s the smarter player/passer offensively. They both grade out similarly for me in terms of puck skill, too. But Fantilli’s athletic gifts give him the edge. He’s further along physically, he’s a better skater, and he plays with more of a competitive edge if you will. I think that gives him a little more upside and a little more certainty. Fantilli’s going to be able to involve himself in the play more frequently.

Bultman: Corey, how would you characterize the difference on your list?

Pronman: I see a sizeable gap. I agree Carlsson is smarter, he’s slightly bigger, and for me that’s where his advantages end. Fantilli skates better, is more competitive, way more physical and has a better shot. I also think his pure hands/skill are better even if Carlsson grades very highly in that area. Fantilli for me has take you out of your seat type of hands. He also had a dominant, historic season at Michigan where he’s entered among the very best draft seasons ever by a first year draft eligible with Jack Eichel and Paul Kariya. Carlsson had a fantastic season in the SHL, and among the best by a first year player in the modern era, but I see a gap there. So I think Fantilli had a better season, and has a more translatable toolkit. The big argument against him is hockey sense, but I don’t think Carlsson is dramatically smarter to close all those other gaps. Mind you, I think if you take Carlsson or Will Smith over Fantilli you’re leaving a lot on the table. Some may argue this is Nathan MacKinnon vs. Aleksander Barkov again, but for me it’s closer to Jack Eichel vs. Dylan Strome.
I don't take Wheeler and certainly not Pronman's takes as gospel, but I feel their comments here are reflective of how I feel about these two guys. Less risk with Carlsson (as in he probably bottoms out at worst as a solid 2C where Fantilli could be a solid 3c if everything goes wrong) but more upside with Fantilli.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
McKeen's had Luneau ranked #29, consolidated he was #31. We got him 53rd.

He had a good year prior to draft before his injury where he was discussed as challenger to the best NA defensemen of his draft. It's more about him gaining his leg strentgh and catching up on his development. Call it hindsight or acknowledge that those were the talking points around 2022 draft about Luneau, the point remains that there is no Luneau around the top10 D prospects IMO.

Honestly I'm not even sure what youre point is.

You say we shouldn't draft any defensemen but then use Luneau as an example of taking a guy ranked way higher then where they drafted him. They can easily do the same here.

If a defensemen they like falls and he is the clear BPA on their list then they should take him.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Honestly I'm not even sure what youre point is.

You say we shouldn't draft any defensemen but then use Luneau as an example of taking a guy ranked way higher then where they drafted him. They can easily do the same here.

If a defensemen they like falls and he is the clear BPA on their list then they should take him.
The point is simply that this year's D pool is much worse than last year's. That being the case, the teams that need defense are going to reach for it. It is the best case for Ducks to draft the forwards as per needs.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Luneau is a different beast. Central Scouting, NA gave him an prospect "A rating" before his season started. Luneau had surgery done on his knee that cost him his summer and beginning of the season. He lost that fast acceleration and was tentative to play hard on his repaired knee. Luneau dropped as the season went: CS midterm rank = 10th, CS final rank = 24th.

The top-10 skill was there for the 6'2 RD defenseman before the injury. The gamble was if he can fully recover from said injury. We took the gamble others didn't. San Jose passed on him twice (34 and 45 RD Havelid), Seattle passed on him twice (35 and 49), Detroit passed on him twice (40 and 52), Arizona passed on him twice (36 LD Duda and 43), and Anaheim passed on him once (42 RD Warren).

Lost in all this was the fact that both 2019 NCAA drafted defensemen didn't sign after their junior season and went back to college in LaCombe and Thrun. This might have prompted drafting more defensemen than having a balanced draft. Fortunately, one of them stayed in LaCombe.

That said, I do hope we can draft a defenseman with one of our three second round picks.

33. RW Halttunen
59. F Nelson/LW Suniev/LW Myatovic/RW Nehring
60. RD Gibson/RD MacKinnon (both are shutdown types, Mac could be like Hinds in finding offense later in development)
65. G Clara

Halttunen might fit into that Luneau category of potential top-10 talent that fell due to injury. Central Scouting summer pre-lim rating gave him an "A rating", first round candidate. Halttunen got rocked hard early in the season in the Finnish men's league with a concussion. Couldn't get up to speed with the men's league as a 17-year old despite having the body and size for it. Halfway through the season, he sent back down to U20 team and was a goal per game player in 18 games! He also was captain for Finland at the WJC-18, with a 2.00 ppg rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: lwvs84

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
The point is simply that this year's D pool is much worse than last year's. That being the case, the teams that need defense are going to reach for it. It is the best case for Ducks to draft the forwards as per needs.

I feel like that goes without saying, but we have no idea what happens. One of the defensemen slated for the mid 1st can drop to 33. It happens every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad