Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Man, I just want this draft to be over with.

Then we can end the annoying discussions about who we should pick and replace them with annoying discussions about who we should have picked.

spaceballs-how-soon.gif

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Anaheim, with this second overall pick, has the opportunity to have a great young core to get going with with some really high end talent on defense, some strong and already developing forward talent, a strong young goalie, and now the opportunity to grab a franchise level forward. But the thing is, the draft doesn't build a team on its own. Cronin still needs to be the right guy to guide this young group to be a dominant force. Verbeek has to acquire the right guys to build around the young talent with guys who play the right way in the modern nhl and have the mentality and compete to overcome other good teams. But, getting a franchise quality player for free and having him pan out can only help. And assuming every other element of the formula pans out well, that kind of elite talent can be the difference between a conference finalist at best and a cup winner.

We aren't getting a player for free. We had to suffer the whole season to guarantee a top-3 selection.

Since the 2019 TDL, we've been tanking by design by not enough having talent and talent depth. We've been building through the draft since. At the 2022 TDL, the rebuild was reset to go with a young roster than a blended one with older veterans whose contracts could be troublesome further down the line. Going into this draft, this will be the fifth draft in a row we have a top-10 selection.

2019, 9th OA C Zegras
2020, 6th OA RD Drysdale
2021, 3rd OA C McTavish
2022, 10th OA LD Mintyukov
2023, 2nd OA ???

High end talents usually develop nicely on their own. The further away from the top-10, the lesser talent you have in a player and that player needs development such as 2019, 29th OA LW Tracey and 2020, 27th OA RW Perreault are still not close to NHL ready compared to their respective 1st round draft teammates in Zegras and Drysdale.

A majority of our blueline talent will be in San Diego, not Anaheim. McIlvane is in charge of developing them first before Cronin. I don't think we'll be dominant until three to four years later as more talent, hopefully, graduate to the NHL level.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
If we draft Fantilli, I'd love to see him in the AHL this season with McIlvane and our influx of new prospects. He'd instantly be the #1C, get tons of responsibility, build relationships with the other high end prospects in his age group and get used to playing against pro players for a season. It worked well for Getz, Perry, and Ryan and I think in this case he'd have a stronger prospect group to play with and a coach with a strong reputation for player development. It just seems like a great fit for next season, plus San Diego is a great place to live.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Man, I just want this draft to be over with.

Then we can end the annoying discussions about who we should pick and replace them with annoying discussions about who we should have picked.
We can also soon start overreact to the dev camp showing, to the FA day, and then it will most likely be a pause until rookie camp and then big camp overreactions. Man, summer is fun :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Yemeth

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If we draft Fantilli, I'd love to see him in the AHL this season with McIlvane and our influx of new prospects. He'd instantly be the #1C, get tons of responsibility, build relationships with the other high end prospects in his age group and get used to playing against pro players for a season. It worked well for Getz, Perry, and Ryan and I think in this case he'd have a stronger prospect group to play with and a coach with a strong reputation for player development. It just seems like a great fit for next season, plus San Diego is a great place to live.

I think Fantilli may go back to college, and if these rumors about picking Carlsson are true, maybe that sent a red flag to Verbeek? I dunno.

I doubt Carlsson goes back to his league, would be signed immediately with the Ducks and report to SD if he is not yet ready for the NHL. Good place for him to develop under the Ducks wings, no pun intended. lol.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
We aren't getting a player for free. We had to suffer the whole season to guarantee a top-3 selection.

Since the 2019 TDL, we've been tanking by design by not enough having talent and talent depth. We've been building through the draft since. At the 2022 TDL, the rebuild was reset to go with a young roster than a blended one with older veterans whose contracts could be troublesome further down the line. Going into this draft, this will be the fifth draft in a row we have a top-10 selection.

2019, 9th OA C Zegras
2020, 6th OA RD Drysdale
2021, 3rd OA C McTavish
2022, 10th OA LD Mintyukov
2023, 2nd OA ???

High end talents usually develop nicely on their own. The further away from the top-10, the lesser talent you have in a player and that player needs development such as 2019, 29th OA LW Tracey and 2020, 27th OA RW Perreault are still not close to NHL ready compared to their respective 1st round draft teammates in Zegras and Drysdale.

A majority of our blueline talent will be in San Diego, not Anaheim. McIlvane is in charge of developing them first before Cronin. I don't think we'll be dominant until three to four years later as more talent, hopefully, graduate to the NHL level.
You know what I mean. It doesn't take trading assets or making a free agency pitch. Whoever we get we own rights to until RFA years expire.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I think Fantilli may go back to college, and if these rumors about picking Carlsson are true, maybe that sent a red flag to Verbeek? I dunno.

I doubt Carlsson goes back to his league, would be signed immediately with the Ducks and report to SD if he is not yet ready for the NHL. Good place for him to develop under the Ducks wings, no pun intended. lol.
I hope he wouldn't choose another year of college with nothing left to prove over getting paid to play pro hockey in San Diego for a year and lead a team of very talented Ducks prospects to a potential playoff spot. It's his decision, but he strikes me as the kind of kid that would follow the development path the Ducks set out for him, regardless of whether or not he's wearing an NHL jersey right away or not.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hope he wouldn't choose another year of college with nothing left to prove over getting paid to play pro hockey in San Diego for a year and lead a team of very talented Ducks prospects to a potential playoff spot. It's his decision, but he strikes me as the kind of kid that would follow the development path the Ducks set out for him, regardless of whether or not he's wearing an NHL jersey right away or not.

I just get Thrun vibes with him returning to college, especially when he has nothing more to prove. Rather he be under the Ducks development. AHL would be a good start for him if he cannot immediately make the transition to the NHL

Reactions: Deuce22

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I do get more ego from Fantilli in interviews than I do Carlsson, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Confidence is key to being a star player, but sometimes in interviews it does seem like Fantilli is giving the "right" answer rather than saying what he really thinks. I do think Carlsson is a pretty humble kid though with a team first mentality and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of teams prefer that in the interviews.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
He strikes me as the type of kid that would seek out multiple sources to determine the best way for him to develop into the best player that he can be, then make an informed decision himself based on that information. If what the Ducks are telling him clashes with advisors he has more trust in, I think he would not automatically do what the Ducks want. I don’t think that means he’d refuse to play for the Ducks, I think it means he wouldn’t want to sign a pro contract until he’s convinced it’s the best choice for his entire career.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
He strikes me as the type of kid that would seek out multiple sources to determine the best way for him to develop into the best player that he can be, then make an informed decision himself based on that information. If what the Ducks are telling him clashes with advisors he has more trust in, I think he would not automatically do what the Ducks want. I don’t think that means he’d refuse to play for the Ducks, I think it means he wouldn’t want to sign a pro contract until he’s convinced it’s the best choice for his entire career.
+1 I get a true pro vibes. 0 thrun vibes.

Reactions: tomd

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think reason he said he could return to NCAA and is undecided because he could get drafted by pre lottery Arizona and would prefer college over playing on Arizona who is probably gonna trade Keller. Or pre lottery could get drafted by Chicago who have a massively depleted roster and would rather play another NCAA than playing on an empty team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducks DVM

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I think Fantilis desire to return to college has more to do with playing and winning with his brother than anything else.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think he said that because he could get drafted by Arizona and would prefer college over playing on Arizona whos probably gonna trade Keller. Or pre lottery could get drafted by Chicago who have a massively depleted roster and would rather play another NCAA than playing on an empty team.
Fantilli said that? He's not making it to Arizona.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
No, I meant the reason he's undecided about returning to NCAA. Pre lottery there was a chance Arizona picks top 3.
Gotcha. I mean. I don't think the Thrun situation is comparable honestly. Fantilli has the opportunity to be a 1c on a team that's racked up a lot of good young talent. Thrun had to contend with Mintyukov, Zellweger, Lacombe, Drysdale, Hinds, Luneau and any UFAs the Ducks might pick up. Harder road with less guarantees. It's not like Schultz where he was basically promised a top 4 spot right out of the gate. I agree with the above, any hesitation Fanta might have about jumping to the NHL likely comes from losing the chance to continue playing with his brother and missing out on another year of the college experience. He has to weigh that against an opportunity to jump start his NHL career.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Gotcha. I mean. I don't think the Thrun situation is comparable honestly. Fantilli has the opportunity to be a 1c on a team that's racked up a lot of good young talent. Thrun had to contend with Mintyukov, Zellweger, Lacombe, Drysdale, Hinds, Luneau and any UFAs the Ducks might pick up. Harder road with less guarantees. It's not like Schultz where he was basically promised a top 4 spot right out of the gate. I agree with the above, any hesitation Fanta might have about jumping to the NHL likely comes from losing the chance to continue playing with his brother and missing out on another year of the college experience. He has to weigh that against an opportunity to jump start his NHL career.
Yeah and with Anaheim he gets to play with Zegras, McTavish, Terry.
In SJ he'd have Eklund and Bordeleau.

Chicago and Arizona are depleted so much and I wonder when Arizona trades Keller.

Reactions: HanSolo

Johnnyduck

Aug 24, 2010
Newport Beach
its funny anyone that tries blowing smoke in mirrors about who we take at 2 is in the business of selling "sports drama" not people that are scouts or in the true business of hockey. No one knows, verbeek keeps his cards close because if it were known he does himself a huge disservice.

I was starting to doubt we dont take fantilli but now that slipping has really stopped, look at the style Verbeek played, look at what hes said, and most telling, look at the picks he was apart of last year... 8 picks we took 6 north american and 2 russians, one of those russians might aswell count as another north american (Mintyukov).
also for any 32 thoughts listeners, the epi where Chuck Fletcher was on last week, he touched on who really makes the first round pick and Chuck said its mainly the GM and then post first round thats when gm's really rely on their scouts. its mentioned in that recent madden QA how much Pat scouts, and if its Pat picking I have to think its Fantilli.

also look at our forcasted core Zegras, Drysdale, Terry, Mct, Gaucher, Zellweger, Gaucher, Luneau, Hinds, and Warren alllllllllll of them are either canadian or american. with this particular role we're drafting for "1C", are we reallllly going to take the risk of introducing a different style of play to make all these other "spokes" around adapt to? This isnt me saying anything negative about swedish hockey at all, well aware theyre amazing before you at me for asking the question above. But its pretty clear there is an identity building here (first time in a long time, thank god) and that identity is a high end skill, high compete, North American style team.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
its funny anyone that tries blowing smoke in mirrors about who we take at 2 is in the business of selling "sports drama" not people that are scouts or in the true business of hockey. No one knows, verbeek keeps his cards close because if it were known he does himself a huge disservice.

I was starting to doubt we dont take fantilli but now that slipping has really stopped, look at the style Verbeek played, look at what hes said, and most telling, look at the picks he was apart of last year... 8 picks we took 6 north american and 2 russians, one of those russians might aswell count as another north american (Mintyukov).
also for any 32 thoughts listeners, the epi where Chuck Fletcher was on last week, he touched on who really makes the first round pick and Chuck said its mainly the GM and then post first round thats when gm's really rely on their scouts. its mentioned in that recent madden QA how much Pat scouts, and if its Pat picking I have to think its Fantilli.

also look at our forcasted core Zegras, Drysdale, Terry, Mct, Gaucher, Zellweger, Gaucher, Luneau, Hinds, and Warren alllllllllll of them are either canadian or american. with this particular role we're drafting for "1C", are we reallllly going to take the risk of introducing a different style of play to make all these other "spokes" around adapt to? This isnt me saying anything negative about swedish hockey at all, well aware theyre amazing before you at me for asking the question above. But its pretty clear there is an identity building here (first time in a long time, thank god) and that identity is a high end skill, high compete, North American style team.
I think it's entirely possible that they're just trying to manufacture some drama. Chicago picking Bedard, there's no suspense there. Anaheim has to pick between 3-4 viable guys so might as well try to pump a narrative whether it exists or not. Only thing that gives it viability is, yeah Fantilli seems the obvious choice but you never really know until you know. If PV took Carlsson or even Michkov I wouldn't be shocked beyond belief. A little more so with Michkov but it's not like it would be impossible to understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad