Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Outside of Celebrini it is as dry a year at center as there has been in a long time judging by early rankings.

It is absolutely stacked on defense though. I have seen some rankings with 5/6 defensemen in the top 10 and half the 1st round being defensemen.
Yep this year is the year to grab a center, next year target a dmen.

If we’re still in top 10 after that then idk /shrug

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
But the staff knows, they are having meetings back and forth. That increases the chance of it leaking. And the sources saying about Leo have not been the most horrible...
Does it though? The only people discussing it are the same ones who work it all year and have a history of being very tight lipped. I have my doubts anybody beyond PV and Madden actually know who the pick is, though others certainly know some of the discussed pros and cons to each player.

Last edited:

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
All this prognostication and pretending to know how Verbeek thinks and what type of player he prefers is getting old. None of us really know anything about what direction he is going to go. My two cents is that Bedard and Michkov are on the top tier, Fantilli and Carlsson a bit below them, and that no one else should be on the Ducks radar. If Verbeek is hesitant to delve into the Russian uncertainty, I certainly would understand. I don't see a huge divide between Fantilli and Carlsson, but am not a fanboy for either. I'd be happy with whoever Verbeek prefers.
PV also never said he wants crash boom bang guys. He aways mentioned mindset, approach and personality. Hard to judge this imho.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Adam Fantilli seems to have a Tik Tok account. I just watched him make a smoothie and now will be extra disappointed if we not pick him for some reason :laugh:
I won't be disappointed to have Carlsson tho. So there's plenty of contradictions in me right now that will tear me apart until we announce the pick and I'll be fine with whatever we take from the two.

As far as a ''dominant player'' goes, that fits Fantilli better than Carlsson, IMO. So now our pick is confirmed :laugh:

Reactions: lwvs84

wraparound

May 17, 2014
Problem is I don’t think the centers next year are overly impressive.
and? the Ducks have Zegras, McTavish, Lundeström & Gaucher in their pipeline.

besides, you never draft for position in the top 3. always go BPA, and after Bedard it’s Michkov in terms of pure skill & talent.

Reactions: Deuce22

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
and? the Ducks have Zegras, McTavish, Lundeström & Gaucher in their pipeline.

besides, you never draft for position in the top 3. always go BPA, and after Bedard it’s Michkov in terms of pure skill & talent.
That doesn’t make him the BPA. No one knows what our scouts ranking looks like.

There is also 3 year wait time on michkov.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
It is very rare that the pick of any team is leaked. I don't recall it happening unless the team wanted it to happen. Certainly I don't remember any pick by the Ducks leaking in advance.

Hoven is hearing things from people who are hearing things from people who are hearing things. He doesn't have a good track record for either Anaheim or LA except for players resigning.

Reactions: Kalv

wraparound

May 17, 2014
That doesn’t make him the BPA. No one knows what our scouts ranking looks like.

There is also 3 year wait time on michkov.
if Michkov was from anywhere but Russia he’d be a lock for the top 3, if not 2. only the uncertainty stemming from his country of origin & his commitment to the KHL have him falling in this draft.

and I’m aware of the 3-year wait. hence the part of my original post that said “we won’t be knocking on the playoffs’ door for another 3 years anyway. adding him on an ELC at that time would rule.”

he would come in with 3 years of pro league experience & still be young enough to sign a 3-year ELC. it’s a defensible pick at #2 and I hope Pat is brave enough to make it.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
If Michkov is anywhere in play and he falls to #6, I’d want PV to trade our #2 selection to AZ for Michkov at 6, and their #12.

Obviously PV and Armstrong would have to agree to the #2 PV pick, and Michkov is still there at 6.

John

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
If Michkov is anywhere in play and he falls to #6, I’d want PV to trade our #2 selection to AZ for Michkov at 6, and their #12.

Obviously PV and Armstrong would have to agree to the #2 PV pick, and Michkov is still there at 6.

John
So, draft who Montreal wants, then trade the kid if Michkov is still there at 6? Seems risky on multiple fronts.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
if Michkov was from anywhere but Russia he’d be a lock for the top 3, if not 2. only the uncertainty stemming from his country of origin & his commitment to the KHL have him falling in this draft.

and I’m aware of the 3-year wait. hence the part of my original post that said “we won’t be knocking on the playoffs’ door for another 3 years anyway. adding him on an ELC at that time would rule.”

he would come in with 3 years of pro league experience & still be young enough to sign a 3-year ELC. it’s a defensible pick at #2 and I hope Pat is brave enough to make it.
Here is the flipside which is undeniable...Michkov is probably the least scouted top 5 prospect in draft history. His highlights are fantastic but scouts haven't seen him enough in the last 2 seasons to start picking apart his weaknesses. Skating, defense, and commitment to play a 200 foot game are all real issues with him. Guys like Fantilli, Smith, and Carlsson have all been micro analyzed...every facet of their game has been picked apart. Michkov in many respects is still living off his international performances as a 15/16 year-old. In a weaker draft I might take him in the top 3 but with Fantilli/Carlsson there is NO WAY I take him in the top 3.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
So, draft who Montreal wants, then trade the kid if Michkov is still there at 6? Seems risky on multiple fronts.
No. PV drafts who he wants. If Armstrong (AZ GM) likes the pick and Michkov is there when AZ picks at 6 and Armstrong and PV decide to trade, then that’s fine. If not Ducks keep Fantilli/Carlsson.

John

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

The concern is that 3 years is the minimum time to get him. The maximum (which, considering the current geopolitical climate, is not an insubstantial risk), is never. He’s a gambler’s pick. I’m too conservative to risk a 2nd overall pick for possibly zero return, but I understand the position. I’d feel considerably better about it without said geopolitical concerns.

Side note - this isn’t license for anyone to go down the geopolitical rabbit hole. Acknowledging that they exist and the ramifications they could have is ok. The ACTUAL geopolitics is still a no-go.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

I don't see anything brave about drafting a player that gives the team no control of his development for the next 3 years and no guarantee he comes over at all versus picking a comparable player that can play as soon as this coming season.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
To me, it makes no sense for Anaheim to let it be known who they're taking at 2. If some team wants to move heaven and earth to get Michov, Fantilli, or Leo, I'd want them to have to go to Anaheim first.

Unless they knew that a team wanted Carlsson and wanted something in particular from that team for the pick.

But I agree with you. I also love how up in the air everything is this off-season. It's nice to care about things for this team again!

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
Used to think Fantilli was the easy choice but the more I read on Carlsson the more it sounds like we can’t go wrong with either.

Interesting that the public opinion in our fanbase is so skewed towards Fantilli, especially from the more casual fans (not that there’s anything wrong with being a casual fan).

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Used to think Fantilli was the easy choice but the more I read on Carlsson the more it sounds like we can’t go wrong with either.

Interesting that the public opinion in our fanbase is so skewed towards Fantilli, especially from the more casual fans (not that there’s anything wrong with being a casual fan).
I think a lot of it is the Kariya comparison (freshman Hobey Baker), the playing with an edge when Verbeek says he wants fast/skilled/tough to play against players, and the reputation of being a shooter when we need shooters.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Okay those are the facts?

So again based on those facts he prob wont be considered BPA in the draft.

Nothing brave about picking Michkov... PV has a job at the end of the day.... wasting a 2nd overall pick on a player that wont be here for 3 years minimum(and potentially never)... would be a very stupid move.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think a lot of it is the Kariya comparison (freshman Hobey Baker), the playing with an edge when Verbeek says he wants fast/skilled/tough to play against players, and the reputation of being a shooter when we need shooters.
He also gives off that Getzlaf vibe(not playstyle, but attitude willingness to play that style of physical game and defend his teamates). Fantilli fits the type of hockey player weve kinda been spoiled with the last 15 years (perry/getz/ryan/kesler etc). Everything about him tracks well in terms of what Duck fans know/love about hockey.

To me Fantilli pays off more when the team is back and playing meaningful games... hes the type of guy thatll change the climate of a game with a big hit or a big play.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Based on McKenzie’s rankings, NHL scouts are also pretty skewed towards Fantilli.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Most likely due to Fantilli having better skills. Speed, Shot, 2way play, etc, he's even a very great playmaker when not stapled to Lucic who moves like a snail as well and that gets overlooked because Carlsson's best attribute is passing.
He's the only guy in the top5 that knows how to play any defense and the only one with elite speed.
Bedard, Michkov, Carlsson, Smith all need to improve their speed especially the smaller guys.

Carlsson's flaws were exposed in the tournament, when the pressure was mounting on team sweden to get past Latvia he failed to step up and choked defensively which led to Sweden losing. Verbeek talked about he wants his players to have a trait of overcoming challenges, Fantillli was given 4th line minutes on team canada and overcame that challenge to score the game winning goal vs Latvia.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Even that ex-scout that was posted here, who had some horrible takes about Carlsson being better than Bedard in 5 years, has a really great take about Fantilli. He said he’s an elite 1st line talent that plays every shift like he’s a 4th liner fighting for minutes. You just can’t pass up that type of character/ skill combination. Don’t get me wrong, I think Carlsson is going to be a stud, but Fantilli has franchise cornerstone written all over him.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Even that ex-scout that was posted here, who had some horrible takes about Carlsson being better than Bedard in 5 years, has a really great take about Fantilli. He said he’s an elite 1st line talent that plays every shift like he’s a 4th liner fighting for minutes. You just can’t pass up that type of character/ skill combination. Don’t get me wrong, I think Carlsson is going to be a stud, but Fantilli has franchise cornerstone written all over him.

This description gives me the warm and fuzzies for having Fantilli, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad