Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
You guys have really got me chasing my tail over who we should pick. I was strongly on the Fantilli train, but I’m starting to get weak kneed. Maybe we should just trade down with CBJ and take whoever they don’t? LoL :laugh:

The scout consensus seems to have Fantilli 2nd. I think people are bored and reading too much into things

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The scout consensus seems to have Fantilli 2nd. I think people are bored and reading too much into things
I do think a legit argument can be made for either guy. But I also agree that when you draft this high you really have to go BPA. Team fit cannot be the priority unless you absolutely see them as a dead heat. I hope like hell BPA dictates our pick.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I do think a legit argument can be made for either guy. But I also agree that when you draft this high you really have to go BPA. Team fit cannot be the priority unless you absolutely see them as a dead heat. I hope like hell BPA dictates our pick.
Even though fantilli also is best team fit as well. But people around here just like to stir shit up

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Im pretty interested in Nadeau... but im kinda hoping he falls into that 59/60 ... or if we end up adding more picks by draft day... maybe potentially find room for him in our list.

I've seen lots of mocks have Nadeau at the bottom of the first. At 59/60 or 65, we should look at his teammate, Aydar Suniev. The reason Suniev chose the BCHL route is so he can preserve the opportunity to go to the NCAA program, where he has intended to go to UMass.

Suniev reminds me of Pastujov - lots of offensive skills, but lacking in skating. Suniev has been described as a power forward, which does fit in with Verbeek's vision.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The thing Fantilli brings to the table that I love the most is his north/south skating. He steals a puck he’s at the other teams net in seconds. That’s something other teams need to game plan about. The ducks lack that truly explosive speed.
I think that’s why he often gets the Mack comparison….

I like fantilli speed and tenacity…. I just think he’s a good fit stylistically with what we have….. it’s just tough to find that type of player that his potential is

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The thing Fantilli brings to the table that I love the most is his north/south skating. He steals a puck he’s at the other teams net in seconds. That’s something other teams need to game plan about. The ducks lack that truly explosive speed.
I remember in 2011 when the Ducks forced a turnover it would be Selanne and Fowler at the other teams net in a seconds lol they were like video game speed. Selanne has to be the last high end offensive minded forward they had with speed that could do that ?

07 McDonald and Selanne were a speed force too. Every team was focused on keeping McDonald and Selanne off the score sheet in 07 which is why they didn't produce as much as the Getzlaf line. That said they had their moments like McDonalds hat trick vs Minnesota, Selanne OT goal vs Detroit.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
I know that this forum is about the Ducks' pick at #2 (I think it will be Fantilli), but personally I think Bedard is going to struggle early on with the Blackhawks. He has a great shot but he's never faced NHL goalies or tried to create space for his shot against NHL dmen either. There's not a lot of talent around him so who is going to feed him the puck when the other team focuses on him ? His coronation as the next generational talent is a little premature.

He probably wishes the Ducks won the lottery :nod:

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I know that this forum is about the Ducks' pick at #2 (I think it will be Fantilli), but personally I think Bedard is going to struggle early on with the Blackhawks. He has a great shot but he's never faced NHL goalies or tried to create space for his shot against NHL dmen either. There's not a lot of talent around him so who is going to feed him the puck when the other team focuses on him ? His coronation as the next generational talent is a little premature.

I'm really curious to see how he does this year and thereafter. as it stands, his skating is not going to let him maneuver into spots to get that shot off especially against competent dmen. like you said I'm also interested to see how NHL goalies fare against his shot, it's one thing to score on 17 and 18 year olds but pro goalies are going to be able to make adjustments a lot quicker and are just generally more skilled.

Reactions: Emerald Duck

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Not to cope about losing out on Bedard, but all I want is for Fantilli/Carlsson to be right behind him, and not a gap like say McDavid and Eichel. Although Eichel closing that gap a little with his SC win. Just a little, lol.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I want Lardis so badly. I just dont think he will last to the end of the 2nd and I think there will be other guys who drop unexpectedly from the 1st round that the Ducks will target with their first 2nd.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
No matter who we pick I’ll be pretty ecstatic about them. They each bring their own unique element that we could use.

If we put Carlsson with another one of our high IQ guys they could make some magic out there. Can you imagine the nutty shit him and Zegras could cook up? Zegras gave Milano one of the best highlight goals ever, and Milano didn’t need to do anything other than have good hand eye coordination.

Fantilli however could open some space for our high IQ guys who can set him up for his deadly shot. I think everyone is over analyzing his IQ anyways, he thinks the game at a high level.

Like most of us I have flip flopped a few times on who I’d like with our pick. Ultimately I think I’ll end up wanting Fantilli. We sorely need a guy who as soon as he hops over the boards, the opponent will be thinking “here we go again.”

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I still see it as an absolute toss up between Fantilli and Carlsson.

However, If we do go with Carlsson, I hope we can sign someone like Tyler Bertuzzi who can bring in some of the much needed sandpaper and fight that Fantilli would add. I think that would mitigate some of the "draft Fantilli because he fits our needs better" arguments.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
This is the one draft where you do not trade down to #5. If the Ducks did that it means they don't even get Smith at #4. They'd be stuck with Michkov and have to cross fingers that a war ends + circumstances in Russia stabilize so they allow him to leave. The circumstances with what happened to Michkovs dad makes it even more risky they'd allow him to leave.

Smith is massively underrated but he's got as good as passing/IQ as Carlsson and a elite shot like Fantilli its just that he's only 6'0 & doesn't have Fantilli skating. You miss out on that if they trade down to #5.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I still see it as an absolute toss up between Fantilli and Carlsson.

However, If we do go with Carlsson, I hope we can sign someone like Tyler Bertuzzi who can bring in some of the much needed sandpaper and fight that Fantilli would add. I think that would mitigate some of the "draft Fantilli because he fits our needs better" arguments.
If they go Carlsson they need to get another 1st and draft a guy with a big shot in the 1st round.
There is still tons of guys with hard shots in that first round like Barlow, Leonard etc.
I'm not sold on Pastujov and Perreault panning out for the Ducks.

A powerplay of Zegras, Carlsson, Terry, McTavish, Fowler the other teams know they will pass it to McTavish to shoot so their PKers know where to block shots.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
If they go Carlsson they need to get another 1st and draft a guy with a big shot in the 1st round.
There is still tons of guys with hard shots in that first round like Barlow, Leonard etc.
I'm not sold on Pastujov and Perreault panning out for the Ducks.

A powerplay of Zegras, Carlsson, Terry, McTavish, Fowler the other teams know they will pass it to McTavish to shoot so their PKers know where to block shots.

I agree that another shooter would be good, but I think Terry and Zegras are a threat to shoot. Also, we will be adding great shot in Zellweger from the PPQB spot.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I agree that another shooter would be good, but I think Terry and Zegras are a threat to shoot. Also, we will be adding great shot in Zellweger from the PPQB spot.
They can score goals for sure, their playmaking is the best on the team.
Imagine if they picked Quinn over Drysdale in 2020, they'd be set with McTavish and Quinn as the shooters while they'd still have Zellweger, Mintyukov, Luneau, Hinds, LaCombe, Warren etc as the future of the blueline.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
They can score goals for sure, their playmaking is the best on the team.
Imagine if they picked Quinn over Drysdale in 2020, they'd be set with McTavish and Quinn as the shooters while they'd still have Zellweger, Mintyukov, Luneau, Hinds, LaCombe, Warren etc as the future of the blueline.
Id take Drsydale over Quinn pretty comfortably still.

Evangelista over Colangelo woulda been nice tho

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

He is amazing in so many ways but I can see him struggling more than people think because of his size and lack of elite speed. Nhl defensemen are a seriously different level and the stuff he tries may not translate as much as everyone thinks. If things work out well for Fantili it would not surprise me at all if he was the better nhler and a much better playoff performer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad