Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles
I can't say I'd be mad but not gonna lie, I'd be disappointed. In a vacuum, they're both great and might just be equal talent-wise, but in the context of our team and what we need and what our culture is? Fantilli and more Fantilli.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I am curious if the Ducks pick Carlsson, will the fans be upset? Likely won’t happen, but I am curious.

I think there will be many fans that will be upset if the Ducks pick Carlsson over Fantilli. Most casual fans don't do deep dives on their own, but they'll view lots of youtubers, the Athletic writers, and numerous mock drafts that all point to Fantilli.

My preference is Carlsson, but that's in a vacuum. With context, Fantilli adds a dimension to our top-6 core of Terry, Zegras, and McTavish. Fantilli doesn't have to be a center with the Ducks if he can't find different gears because he will still bring that much needed physicality, speed, and tenacious game. Verbeek's vision probably has Fantilli as the ideal forward for his team.

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
I don't really buy into any of these rumors. Just as a reference: Z and Drysdale both have befriended Fantilli roughly 7 weeks ago on social media like Instagram, and have liked all his posts since then. They haven't done the same for Carlsson as far as I can see.

You don't piss off two of your cornerstones in the rebuild by trading away the pick that gets a guy you're friends with (also outside of the hockey bubble AFAIK) and who is the consensus #2 in this draft.

We will stay at #2 and we will pick Fantilli, unless Chicago completely goes rogue and picks him #1 and we magically end up with Bedard. Which has a non-zero chance of happening, but more akin to 0.0001% chance.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I don't really buy into any of these rumors. Just as a reference: Z and Drysdale both have befriended Fantilli roughly 7 weeks ago on social media like Instagram, and have liked all his posts since then. They haven't done the same for Carlsson as far as I can see.

You don't piss off two of your cornerstones in the rebuild by trading away the pick that gets a guy you're friends with (also outside of the hockey bubble AFAIK) and who is the consensus #2 in this draft.

We will stay at #2 and we will pick Fantilli, unless Chicago completely goes rogue and picks him #1 and we magically end up with Bedard. Which has a non-zero chance of happening, but more akin to 0.0001% chance.
Zegras was friends with Fantilli since last year when they both trained with the Hughes bros. I personally wouldn't put too much stock into instagram but yeah, Z seemed to be likomg Fantillis posts since the last offseason so they are faorly familiar.

I don't think there's much to those rumors as well

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Lets just say Verbeek wants Michkov or Smith, what could he get out of MTL to make this move and potentially set this team up really nicely?
Verbeek could get a new job if he thinks Smith is a better option than Fantilli/Carlsson or risking losing out on Fantilli/Carlsson for a small chance at Michkov and some leftovers from the Hams.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think i have Carlsson below Fantilli/Michkov/Smith....

would i be upset... prob not....as i feel like the scouts have earned the right to pick who they want.... and ill trust them.

Will i be mad in 5 years when Fantilli michkov and smith are better than him... probably.
I'm starting to like Smith more than Carlsson the more I read on him. Smith also has a very high hockey sense, slightly better playmaker than Carlsson, an even better hard shot than Fantilli.
He can become both a elite playmaker and elite goal scorer. I think Size is the only thing Carlsson has over Smith.

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Verbeek could get a new job if he thinks Smith is a better option than Fantilli/Carlsson or risking losing out on Fantilli/Carlsson for a small chance at Michkov and some leftovers from the Hams.
That’s debatable… I think there is arguments for smith being better as good as those 2 or even better.

What if he goes carlsson and carlsson is a bust? Does he lose his job then ?

DaGeneral

Sponsor
Apr 15, 2012
I won’t be mad if they pick someone else. The good news is outside of Bedard, the Ducks will get their top choice - so that’s awesome. These decisions impact their livelihoods, so I trust they are using their best judgement.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I will not be surprised if the Ducks pick Carlsson...he is more projectable as a proto-typical #1C. Fantilli is a unicorn...if he hits he will be MacKinnon and Tkachuk combined. But there is really no comparable to him at center in the NHL and he is risky to project. In that sense, Carlsson is the "safer" pick but may also have both a higher ceiling and higher floor than Fantilli. Glad I don't have to make the pick!

Reactions: lwvs84

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
That’s debatable… I think there is arguments for smith being better as good as those 2 or even better.

What if he goes carlsson and carlsson is a bust? Does he lose his job then ?
There’s no debate. Fantilli is almost always projected as the #2 pick. Smith is always projected at pick 4/5.

Where in my post did I suggest he should lose his job if he picked Carlsson and he busts? Ya’ll are overthinking this way too much.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think there will be many fans that will be upset if the Ducks pick Carlsson over Fantilli. Most casual fans don't do deep dives on their own, but they'll view lots of youtubers, the Athletic writers, and numerous mock drafts that all point to Fantilli.

My preference is Carlsson, but that's in a vacuum. With context, Fantilli adds a dimension to our top-6 core of Terry, Zegras, and McTavish. Fantilli doesn't have to be a center with the Ducks if he can't find different gears because he will still bring that much needed physicality, speed, and tenacious game. Verbeek's vision probably has Fantilli as the ideal forward for his team.

I want the player who is going to fit the Ducks needs the most. You can’t overlook Fantilli’s Speed, drive, and physicality and is not something to pass up.

Carlsson does have a lot of positives also, he has great playmaking skills and excellent hockey IQ, and think he has higher offensive potential, imo.

I really think we have to look at what we have with Zegras, McTavish, and Terry and which of Fantilli or Carlsson best fits with these guys.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Lets just say Verbeek wants Michkov or Smith, what could he get out of MTL to make this move and potentially set this team up really nicely?

I saw a youtube personality, legorocks99, propose an idea of Kirby Dach and the #5 pick, and that might not be enough to acquire the #2 pick from Anaheim.

Dach was the #3 pick in the 2019 draft. I am underwhelmed with Dach's progress and possibly was rushed to the NHL level.

• 2019 draft
    • 1. C Jack Hughes (NJ)
    • 2. RW Kakko (NYR)
    • 3. C Dach (Chi)
    • 6. D Seider (Det)
    • 9. C Zegras (Ana)

I see some similarities with the 2023 draft. A clear cut short #1 potentially followed by two big forwards. A rising D in Reinbacher. The Zegras-type in Will Smith. There's a lot of US NTDP players going to be selected in the first round (Smith, Leonard, Moore, and Perreault).

Let's just hope that the potentially two big forwards going #2 and #3 will pan out much better than Kakko and Dach. Both Kakko and Dach went straight to the NHL after being drafted. Seider went from DEL (D+0) to AHL (D+1) to SHL (D+2) and finally over to the NHL (D+3) to win the Calder. Zegras went to NCAA (D+1) to AHL/NHL (D+2) and established himself in the NHL in his D+3, being a finalist in the Calder.

I'm okay with Fantilli or Carlsson staying with their respective programs another season to further develop their skills in an environment they already know, especially with the organization breaking in new head coaches at the NHL and AHL levels.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I want the player who is going to fit the Ducks needs the most. You can’t overlook Fantilli’s Speed, drive, and physicality and is not something to pass up.

Carlsson does have a lot of positives also, he has great playmaking skills and excellent hockey IQ, and think he has higher offensive potential, imo.

I really think we have to look at what we have with Zegras, McTavish, and Terry and which of Fantilli or Carlsson best fits with these guys.

Both Fantilli and Carlsson will fit with the team because both are that talented. It's the preference of the GM that determines it.

GM Verbeek has a specific vision and it's identified best with his first forward pick in the draft, C Gaucher. Gaucher's a big, physical player. At 22nd overall, Verbeek passed up on potential high end scorers in 6'1 RW Snuggerud and 6'0 C Kulich.

Snuggerud scouting quotes:

Mike - Morreale - June 29th: "Snuggerud made tremendous strides in the second half of the season. His ceiling is high because all the elements are there for a long, successful NHL career. "
Peter Harling - NHL Rumors - June 27th: "He is a pest that can get the other team off their game. He drops the gloves but can also score with his hard shot and drive to the net."
Adam Kimelman - NHL.com - June 29th: "He improved his skating, which allows him to get into more dangerous areas to use his shot, which is considered by scouts to be one of the best in this draft class."

Kulich scouting quotes:

Mike - Morreale - June 29th: "Recognized as a goal-scorer and quick on his feet, the left-handed shot was a standout at the World U-18s. He's smart and is always on the move, looking to make things happen."
Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - June 6th: "Kulich is a sturdy, driven player who can morph his game to his role and function as the detail-oriented, above-puck defender who makes quick plays and stays on pucks, can play off of talented linemates to free his dangerous shooting arsenal up, or can carry the puck and function as the primary handler on a line."

Verbeek wanted more grit than what Snuggerud or Kulich could provide. Gaucher provided that grit that Verbeek is intending to remake the Ducks.

Gaucher scouting quotes:

Adam Kimelman - NHL.com - June 29th: "Gaucher is a big, strong center who would fit well with the Blues' physical, hard-forechecking style of play."
Chris Peters - Daily Faceoff - June 10th: "Though he lacks a dynamic element to his game, Gaucher has a lot of the tools you want to see in a middle-six center. He’s big, he’s strong and there’s some real power in his game. While his skating lacks burst, I think he’s got a powerful enough stride for it not to be an issue. "

Near the season's end, Verbeek signed a couple of UDFA, gritty, physical players in 6'1, 209 lbs RW/C Wiebe and 6'3, 207 lbs RW Caulfield. Verbeek did not sign the 6'0, 185lbs LW Tschigerl, an offensive winger drafted by the Ducks in the 2021 draft.

IMO, Fantilli was always going to be Verbeek's choice based upon his vision pattern. That's why I've often said that I prefer Carlsson, but Fantilli is going to be Verbeek's pick.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I think too many posters are concerned with “fit” or “checking boxes” in the Fantilli vs. Carlsson debate. In free agency or later in drafts, sure that should be a strong consideration.

But when you are picking top 3 in a draft with potentially hall of fame quality prospects, you pick the guy you think will be the very best hockey player and fill holes other times in other ways.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
I think too many posters are concerned with “fit” or “checking boxes” in the Fantilli vs. Carlsson debate. In free agency or later in drafts, sure that should be a strong consideration.

But when you are picking top 3 in a draft with potentially hall of fame quality prospects, you pick the guy you think will be the very best hockey player and fill holes other times in other ways.
And that player in this draft is, quite unanimously, Adam Fantilli for the Ducks at #2.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
And that player in this draft is, quite unanimously, Adam Fantilli for the Ducks at #2.

I have no idea who they feel will be the best hockey player (and neither do you…). You could probably ask 10 scouts and get something like 7 Fantilli, 2 Carlsson and 1 other. None of that matters though, all that does matter is who the ducks scouts feel is the best, and despite your false confidence, we have no idea who that is.

What I am glad to hear is that it appears Verbeek and team have made up their mind. All I hope is they have very strong conviction on who they want.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Yeah, I'm all for drafting BPA, I have been vocally upset for some of our past pucks where it seemed we went for fit. Heck, NYR went for a fit with McIlrath. But if you're having the best collegiate season since Eichel, arguably Kariya, there is little to no excuses not to go with that. Even with some flaws in his game that will need to be adressed. I'd say we just got lucky our need looks like will be the BPA (as far as current consensus go)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad