Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I concur, please grab a mid first and get him

I feel like the 2 picks that are prob most easily available are

Vancouver and Penguins picks.

Moore, Wood, Ritchie, Musty, Barlow all sorts of forwards that would really fit with what were building and what we need.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
They can win one more in the next four drafts. In other words, teams can win the lotto twice in a five year period.

does that only apply to getting 1oa or jumping up in general?

So let's say they finish 3rd to last again, but jump up to 2 in the lottery. Does that count or not?

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
does that only apply to getting 1oa or jumping up in general?

So let's say they finish 3rd to last again, but jump up to 2 in the lottery. Does that count or not?
I could be wrong, but I think the rules say you can’t “move up” more than twice in a five year span. So that implies any sort of improvement would count against it. And it makes sense, because in order to get the second pick, you would technically have to win a drawing in the lottery.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
I could be wrong, but I think the rules say you can’t “move up” more than twice in a five year span. So that implies any sort of improvement would count against it. And it makes sense, because in order to get the second pick, you would technically have to win a drawing in the lottery.
Lucky for us the Ducks only move down so this will never apply to this franchise.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

We can probably dismiss the trade part, but I wonder where is this rumor coming from. Would our magmt just talk to somebody and say "yeah, we're picking Carlsson"? Doubt that. But if there is something to it... eh, the long offseason is killing me lol.

Johnnyduck

Aug 24, 2010
Newport Beach
Posters gotta hot takes and posters like hot takes. Let's correct your flawed thinking.

Here's the OP's subject starter. Getz is probably going to be in the NHL HOF. Fantilli is already pegged for the HOF by the poster without ever setting a foot in the league. @mightyquack must be agreeing with @Johnnyduck wholeheartedly!

People should stop equating fast skating with compete/motor b/c it's saying the tortoise doesn't have high compete/motor like the hare due to the fact you can't see the tortoise speeding like the hare.

Getz was taken 19th overall in the 2003 draft. Cogs was taken 25th overall in the 2005 draft. I'm pretty sure Cogs' "compete/motor (aka has elite skating that visually shows a player off more than without)" trait/attribute was always there pre-draft. This Getz & Cogs example is showing a flaw in @Johnnyduck logic when we fast forward from their draft years.

Holy shitballs, Batman! Do you mean paragraphs identify different ideas? Getz & Cogs example shows off a flaw in narrow logic. Fantilli & Carlsson example shows a more expansive logic as it redefines "motor/compete" away from "elite skating".

I think @mightyquack hot take and liking the hot take without actually reading is idiotic. Note, I'm saying the actions are idiotic and not the posters.

You good bud? Let me take it back to square one for you since its evident you're struggling. The thread we're in is titled "2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)"
So we are weighing which prospect is best at that draft pick. Seems the general census has us taking 1 of 2 phenomenal prospects, Leo Carlsson a large smooth Swedish play making center that is similar to a Barkov/ Kopitar stylistically and Adam Fantilli a large power center that plays a very North American style game that is similar to Mackinnon/Toews stylistically. So from my point of view with that being said and analyzing the composition of strengths and weaknesses that I have read and gone over, the pick in my opinion should be Adam Fantilli. Particularly because the make up of his traits are more appealing to me, reason being, based on what is written BY PROFESSIONAL SCOUTS (people who get payed to do this for a living) they all seem to highlight that one of Adam Fantillis greater strengths is his compete level and motor (tenacity, attitude and will to win. NOT his ability to skate fast).

Now, you continue to use this very questionable logic comparing Getzlaf to Cogliano for what I am trying to say. Getzlaf was a 6'4 220 pound power forward that was known for his play making ability and talent to set the pace of the game. Cogliano is a 5'10 180 pound middle 6 center known for his speed, his compete level/work ethic, and his presence on some special teams units. They both play center sure, but are not comparable. Fantilli and Carlsson are, similar projected roles, application of use and similar physical statures. Fantilli's intensity/compete along with all the other wonderful attributes he possesses make him my pick for number 2, sorry I guess if you disagree with my opinion. (trust me, its not wort much) lol

lastly the reason I brought up the whole reason why I value motor and compete level to the degree I do and is because I truly do believe the old adage "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard" and after viewing Getzy's tenure as captain where he was often critiqued (even on here... who wouldve thunk) for being or seeming more aloof than what was desired in a leader. The message became clear to me that if we want to do something great again our leaders need to have that killer instinct and or the ability to will their team to success, I believe there's better chance of AF having that than LC at this point.

also the only one that ever brought up the Hall of Fame is you...
Seems like you keep making false outlandish claims to camouflage your own highly questionable take.

Last edited:

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019

We can probably dismiss the trade part, but I wonder where is this rumor coming from. Would our magmt just talk to somebody and say "yeah, we're picking Carlsson"? Doubt that. But if there is something to it... eh, the long offseason is killing me lol.

Very interesting rumor. Carlsson is worthy at pick 2 but Fantilli ticks more need boxes.

Could be that Montreal heard we like Carlsson so they are trying to trade up Sedin style. If we can get pick 3 and Carlsson plus something that would be good

Reactions: lwvs84 and Deuce22

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Very interesting rumor. Carlsson is worthy at pick 2 but Fantilli ticks more need boxes.

Could be that Montreal heard we like Carlsson so they are trying to trade up Sedin style. If we can get pick 3 and Carlsson plus something that would be good
For me even the #5 sound very interesting, obviously depending on what is coming back. The more I read about Ryan Leonard, the more I really like that option.

Slafkovsky + Leonard/Dvorsky sounds like more value than one Fantilli or Carlsson down the road.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Interesting rumor that we prefer Carlsson right now, considering Fantilli seems exactly like what Verbeek wants. I’d wonder where that rumor came from, because even Verbeek seems extremely tight lipped, and I don’t see him going around talking who he prefers.

Steve7812

Feb 5, 2018
New York
Interesting rumor that we prefer Carlsson right now, considering Fantilli seems exactly like what Verbeek wants. I’d wonder where that rumor came from, because even Verbeek seems extremely tight lipped, and I don’t see him going around talking who he prefers.
Curious if Grant McCagg is taking that info from what Tony Marinaro said on the sick podcast the other day. At the 30:00 mark he mentions “ he spoke to some one in the know who believes carlsson will go #2 to anaheim”. Doesn't mention sources when saying it so cant say its reliable. If anyone wants to hear the sound bite heres the youtube link: All MTL talk so not useful outside of that 30:00 minute mark lol

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
So PV has been just as tight lipped as Bob ever was, and when has a rumor like that surfaced for the Ducks since Bob took over?

I'm not saying it isn't true that the Ducks could possibly prefer Carlsson, but I don't believe for a second that there is an actual leak coming out of Anaheim.

This is Montreal media jumping on the probably true fact that Montreal asked about trading up. Trying to turn it into something more then it is for the clicks.

Teams dont trade down out of the top 2 in the cap era. It doesn't happen.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I find it dubious that any reports on who we will draft coming out are accurate considering the lid we kept on the coaching hire. To me it's probably trying to stir up something to write/talk about that's within the realm of possibility.
So PV has been just as tight lipped as Bob ever was, and when has a rumor like that surfaced for the Ducks since Bob took over?

I'm not saying it isn't true that the Ducks could possibly prefer Carlsson, but I don't believe for a second that there is an actual leak coming out of Anaheim.

This is Montreal media jumping on the probably true fact that Montreal asked about trading up. Trying to turn it into something more then it is for the clicks.

Teams dont trade down out of the top 2 in the cap era. It doesn't happen.

Yeah I would agree, the rumor may be floating around, it maybe even comes to fruition...but I highly doubt it actually originated from the org. Maybe someone paying close attention has connected some dots.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Finally the teams start getting interviewed and the mock drafts are starting to include more positional picks. There should be even better than anticipated forwards available to us in the second round.

Any rumours about that compensatory pick that the Ducks inquired about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad