Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I had a different response written out but I reread the article and I see what you're saying, there's a dichotomy between the scouts and the execs, at least on paper here. I didn't really distinguish on first read.

Still, it would irk me that this guy is like "meh, it's media hype" when honestly it looks like the execs (who aren't media) are the ones who are high on him. I agree that the public discussion of Michkov's flaws (whatever they are) is swamped by geopolitics, and I guess it's possible the execs are getting more hyped by media reports than what their own scouts are telling them, but I doubt it.
I get that, it’s over the top and projects his own opinion onto every other team, which might not share it. I’m guessing he’s more right than wrong, though, but that might be just me.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Didn't fantilli say his interview with the Ducks and Jackets went really well? of course he might just say that to not cause a stir, but I don't think there's anything to worry about. it's not unreasonable to ask him about the AHL but knowing Pat if he asked the question it might've come out very awkward and off-putting lol

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Some information on Fantilli and some quotes from the Combine.

The part that says "Brings it when the game is on the line" fits with part of what Verbeek talked about wanting players who overcome challenges.

Seems like something the Ducks scouts would value. Tied game against Latvia with game on the line, he brings it and delivers game winner.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Just finished our third of three mock drafts for the season.

1-2- C Adam Fantilli - nuff said

2-33- C Charlie Stramel - Ended up with Stramel early 2nd round in all three mocks. Definitely tried to move up and secure on the big bodied forwards who show more offense to this point (Wood, Ritchie, But, Honzek, Edstrom, Musty) but just wasn't able to get it done. Stramel can become a physical force who has value well beyond his numbers.

2-59- RW Nick Lardis - Surprised he lasted this long with the progression shown in the latter half of the season. Speed for days and a natural scoring knack.
From Brock Otten's final ranking:
"There's no question that I'm higher on Lardis than others. At McKeen's, we ranked him 32nd, but I'm pretty doubtful that he's an actual first round selection. Do I think he deserves to be? Yes, but that's another story. I mean, how could you not be impressed with what he accomplished following the trade to Hamilton? He instantly became one of the league's most consistently dangerous offensive players. The big difference in that was an increase in physical intensity. In Peterborough, he was too perimeter oriented. But the shift to become a player who attacked inside the dots made all the difference in Hamilton. Lardis' combination of elite level speed and goal scoring ability makes him such an interesting NHL prospect. The scary thing is, I actually think he's only scratching the surface of being able to utilize his speed as a weapon. He's still pretty slight and can get knocked off stride too easily and he can also struggle to cleanly catch/carry when trying to build speed. With added strength, I believe both of those aspects of his game will improve and he becomes a near unstoppable force at the junior level. The shot is such a massive weapon for him too. The release on both his wrist shot and his one timer are terrific; lightning quick. He can score from anywhere on the ice. He can score from a standstill or in motion. Personally, I don't think he was terrific at the U18's, but I also think that he was utilized improperly by the coaching staff. It looked like they wanted him to be more of an F1, high energy guy and he's just not at that level off the puck yet. If you want a better indication of Lardis' ability and progression, watch the first round of the OHL playoffs where he nearly dragged a rebuilding Bulldogs team past Brandt Clarke and the Barrie Colts. Look, there's no question that Lardis is going to take some time. He's going to need to finish his final OHL seasons and then probably play in the AHL too, but someone's patience could be rewarded as, IMO, Lardis has among the highest scoring upside of any player from the OHL this draft."
2-60- C Carey Terrance
Also from Brock Otten:
"I just really like Terrance. I've made that pretty clear with my coverage this season. This guy can impact the game in so many different ways, but we haven't seen it consistently because Erie just wasn't great this year. I think his versatility makes him such an intriguing option. Look at the difference between how he was used in Erie vs. with the U.S. U18 team, yet he found success both ways. In Erie, he's a primary play driver at pivot who is counted upon to use his speed to lead the Otters in transition and who controls play in the offensive zone with his quick feet and strength on the puck. With the U.S. U18 team, he was asked to play the wing with Oliver Moore in a support role. He was asked to use his speed to forecheck, to drive the net and to play more consistently off the puck. This versatility, in combination with his speed is going to make him an attractive target to NHL teams who probably see him as fairly moldable in the future based on their needs. Terrance is a strong two-way player already. He has a very underrated shot. His 30 goals this year (third most among U18 players) were no fluke. He led the Otters in goal scoring by a significant margin (next closest was Sam Alfano with 18). Terrance is also a terrific forechecker, IMO one of the better ones in the OHL. His quickness is so difficult for opposing defenders to handle. Now...is the ceiling high? No, I don't believe so. I think Terrance profiles best as a quality third line option in the future. But, his well rounded skill set is going to give future coaches a lot of options on how they utilize him."

3-65- LW Juraj Pekarcik

3-85- RW Connor Levis

4-97- RD Axel Landen
"Not an impactful player on the score sheet, Landen was a standout in the defensive end for the Swedes. He was a top penalty killer and held down the team’s third pairing. He looks the part of a future stay at home type at the NHL level with good mobility, size, and physicality, all from the right side. Last year Elias Pettersson was a standout in a similar way, and he ended up being a third-round pick."

5-129 - LD Justin Kipkie

6-161- G Rudy Guimond
I'm not seeing a public scouting report, but was able to watch him personally. Very intriguing hidden gem prospect who was nearly unbeatable at the prep level. He's long and lean, extremely composed and moves so effortlessly for a young lanky goalie. Not due to start at Yale for another two seasons, perhaps still time to change his path to the CHL.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

"I'll wait until after the draft before making a decision," he said. "Obviously, losing in the semifinal round against Quinnipiac in the Frozen Four left a bitter taste in my mouth because I wanted to win that game and the game after that to win the national championship. I think my decision on whether I'll return to Michigan has nothing to do with unfinished business. It's more about development and being able to mature as a person."

I don’t know for sure that Fantilli’s turning pro right away but it is worth pointing out the stark contrast between his statements about returning to Michigan and those of Power and Beniers. Both of them were very up front that they were probably going to do that and cited multiple reasons why, whereas Fantilli’s been pretty vague, eerily similar to what Eichel said, and in this quote is even dismissing probably the biggest reason why someone like him would go back. Even Eichel conceded there was some unfinished business at BU.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Just finished our third of three mock drafts for the season.

1-2- C Adam Fantilli - nuff said

2-33- C Charlie Stramel - Ended up with Stramel early 2nd round in all three mocks. Definitely tried to move up and secure on the big bodied forwards who show more offense to this point (Wood, Ritchie, But, Honzek, Edstrom, Musty) but just wasn't able to get it done. Stramel can become a physical force who has value well beyond his numbers.

2-59- RW Nick Lardis - Surprised he lasted this long with the progression shown in the latter half of the season. Speed for days and a natural scoring knack.
From Brock Otten's final ranking:
"There's no question that I'm higher on Lardis than others. At McKeen's, we ranked him 32nd, but I'm pretty doubtful that he's an actual first round selection. Do I think he deserves to be? Yes, but that's another story. I mean, how could you not be impressed with what he accomplished following the trade to Hamilton? He instantly became one of the league's most consistently dangerous offensive players. The big difference in that was an increase in physical intensity. In Peterborough, he was too perimeter oriented. But the shift to become a player who attacked inside the dots made all the difference in Hamilton. Lardis' combination of elite level speed and goal scoring ability makes him such an interesting NHL prospect. The scary thing is, I actually think he's only scratching the surface of being able to utilize his speed as a weapon. He's still pretty slight and can get knocked off stride too easily and he can also struggle to cleanly catch/carry when trying to build speed. With added strength, I believe both of those aspects of his game will improve and he becomes a near unstoppable force at the junior level. The shot is such a massive weapon for him too. The release on both his wrist shot and his one timer are terrific; lightning quick. He can score from anywhere on the ice. He can score from a standstill or in motion. Personally, I don't think he was terrific at the U18's, but I also think that he was utilized improperly by the coaching staff. It looked like they wanted him to be more of an F1, high energy guy and he's just not at that level off the puck yet. If you want a better indication of Lardis' ability and progression, watch the first round of the OHL playoffs where he nearly dragged a rebuilding Bulldogs team past Brandt Clarke and the Barrie Colts. Look, there's no question that Lardis is going to take some time. He's going to need to finish his final OHL seasons and then probably play in the AHL too, but someone's patience could be rewarded as, IMO, Lardis has among the highest scoring upside of any player from the OHL this draft."
2-60- C Carey Terrance
Also from Brock Otten:
"I just really like Terrance. I've made that pretty clear with my coverage this season. This guy can impact the game in so many different ways, but we haven't seen it consistently because Erie just wasn't great this year. I think his versatility makes him such an intriguing option. Look at the difference between how he was used in Erie vs. with the U.S. U18 team, yet he found success both ways. In Erie, he's a primary play driver at pivot who is counted upon to use his speed to lead the Otters in transition and who controls play in the offensive zone with his quick feet and strength on the puck. With the U.S. U18 team, he was asked to play the wing with Oliver Moore in a support role. He was asked to use his speed to forecheck, to drive the net and to play more consistently off the puck. This versatility, in combination with his speed is going to make him an attractive target to NHL teams who probably see him as fairly moldable in the future based on their needs. Terrance is a strong two-way player already. He has a very underrated shot. His 30 goals this year (third most among U18 players) were no fluke. He led the Otters in goal scoring by a significant margin (next closest was Sam Alfano with 18). Terrance is also a terrific forechecker, IMO one of the better ones in the OHL. His quickness is so difficult for opposing defenders to handle. Now...is the ceiling high? No, I don't believe so. I think Terrance profiles best as a quality third line option in the future. But, his well rounded skill set is going to give future coaches a lot of options on how they utilize him."

3-65- LW Juraj Pekarcik

3-85- RW Connor Levis

4-97- RD Axel Landen
"Not an impactful player on the score sheet, Landen was a standout in the defensive end for the Swedes. He was a top penalty killer and held down the team’s third pairing. He looks the part of a future stay at home type at the NHL level with good mobility, size, and physicality, all from the right side. Last year Elias Pettersson was a standout in a similar way, and he ended up being a third-round pick."

5-129 - LD Justin Kipkie

6-161- G Rudy Guimond
I'm not seeing a public scouting report, but was able to watch him personally. Very intriguing hidden gem prospect who was nearly unbeatable at the prep level. He's long and lean, extremely composed and moves so effortlessly for a young lanky goalie. Not due to start at Yale for another two seasons, perhaps still time to change his path to the CHL.

Is there a link to the mock? I'm just curious who was available when the Picks were made.

Not a fan of Stramel but I love the Lardis and Pekarcik picks.

Lardis is exactly what the Ducks are missing in their prospect pool. An elite speed goal scorer. The upside of the pick would be huge. If he had scored at the pace he scored with Hamilton over the whole season he would have finished the year 4th in the OHL, just above Pastujov. I would not be heart broken if the Ducks took him at 33. If they can get him with a late 2nd then it is highway robbery.

Pekarcikis 3 days away from being a 2024 draftee. He is tall and has a long time to grow into his frame but he is already 185. He skates really well and isnt afraid to throw a hit. He also scored some nice goals at the U-18. I would be ecstatic if the Ducks get him in the 3rd. No issue if they targeted him with a late 2nd.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Is there a link to the mock? I'm just curious who was available when the Picks were made.

Not a fan of Stramel but I love the Lardis and Pekarcik picks.

Lardis is exactly what the Ducks are missing in their prospect pool. An elite speed goal scorer. The upside of the pick would be huge. If he had scored at the pace he scored with Hamilton over the whole season he would have finished the year 4th in the OHL, just above Pastujov. I would not be heart broken if the Ducks took him at 33. If they can get him with a late 2nd then it is highway robbery.

Pekarcikis 3 days away from being a 2024 draftee. He is tall and has a long time to grow into his frame but he is already 185. He skates really well and isnt afraid to throw a hit. He also scored some nice goals at the U-18. I would be ecstatic if the Ducks get him in the 3rd. No issue if they targeted him with a late 2nd.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Overall great picks. I would have preferred Danny Nelson, Halttunen, Sawchyn, or Strbak at 33 over Stramel, but like I said before you killed it with 2 of the next 3 picks.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Overall great picks. I would have preferred Danny Nelson, Halttunen, Sawchyn, or Strbak at 33 over Stramel, but like I said before you killed it with 2 of the next 3 picks.

Thanks. When I reflected back, I kind of wish I just swung for the fences and went Hrabal at #33, might just be the highest upside play if he's still available on day two.

Definitely a huge fan of Pekarcik and I think the profile reads like someone a team will step up and grab in the top 40-50, possibly even a candidate to be one of the big surprises in round one. Just now getting the mainstream buzz after the performance at the U18s but I sort of doubt teams weren't already on to a 17 year old playing in a first tier men's league. Once that group of forwards I mentioned is off the board (they were all gone between 11-25), he may fit quite comfortably into the next tier.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Agreed stramel doesn’t do much for me…. Hope someone takes him in late 20s

Thanks. When I reflected back, I kind of wish I just swung for the fences and went Hrabal at #33, might just be the highest upside play if he's still available on day two.

Definitely a huge fan of Pekarcik and I think the profile reads like someone a team will step up and grab in the top 40-50, possibly even a candidate to be one of the big surprises in round one. Just now getting the mainstream buzz after the performance at the U18s but I sort of doubt teams weren't already on to a 17 year old playing in a first tier men's league. Once that group of forwards I mentioned is off the board (they were all gone between 11-25), he may fit quite comfortably into the next tier.
I’m hoping we find some more picks on draft day…. Hrabal(or whatever goalie we like best) would be nice

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Johnnyduck

Aug 24, 2010
Newport Beach
I feel with Fantilli a major component thats constantly being taken for granted when compared to Leo is the drive he has personally to stop at nothing to improve where he lacks. It seems as though he is starved for constructive insight on how to better himself and loves the challenge to do so. It's talked about a lot by his prior coaches throughout multiple levels, that personality trait alone makes me believe he's going to be truly special.

I also believe that if they were to run the WC again tomorrow, he would double the offensive numbers he posted and out score Carlsson. Just because of the shift in mindset that would take place. its quoted he participated to learn and observe pro's this past go.

After watching our most recent runs in the Getzlaf era, I value motor and compete over any other attribute a player can possess, and in my opinion Adam is just as willed as Bedard if not more. also believe Fantili will be more of a competitor than Getzy was.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I feel with Fantilli a major component thats constantly being taken for granted when compared to Leo is the drive he has personally to stop at nothing to improve where he lacks. It seems as though he is starved for constructive insight on how to better himself and loves the challenge to do so. It's talked about a lot by his prior coaches throughout multiple levels, that personality trait alone makes me believe he's going to be truly special.

I also believe that if they were to run the WC again tomorrow, he would double the offensive numbers he posted and out score Carlsson. Just because of the shift in mindset that would take place. its quoted he participated to learn and observe pro's this past go.

After watching our most recent runs in the Getzlaf era, I value motor and compete over any other attribute a player can possess, and in my opinion Adam is just as willed as Bedard if not more. also believe Fantili will be more of a competitor than Getzy was.

Using your terms of "motor and compete", Cogs had one of the most motors and compete, but I wouldn't take Cogs over Getz. Getz fell in the draft b/c he couldn't skate fast. Perry couldn't skate fast either. Some people would think that if one isn't skating fast, then their motor isn't high and their compete isn't there. Yet, both Getz and Perry will probably be future HOFers.

Carlsson also improved as the WC went on. Or do you believe that Carlsson's production would complete cease to exist?

Fantilli and Carlsson are two different types of players whose compete and motor are so high that they're considered for the top-3 in the draft. You have to have both if you're considered top-3 in the draft. The choices are "fast and furious" and "cerebral and calculating". Any franchise can build around both. Fortunately for the Ducks, they already have a couple of top-6 centers and Fantilli can add a dimension that is needed to complement the top-6.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Using your terms of "motor and compete", Cogs had one of the most motors and compete, but I wouldn't take Cogs over Getz. Getz fell in the draft b/c he couldn't skate fast. Perry couldn't skate fast either. Some people would think that if one isn't skating fast, then their motor isn't high and their compete isn't there. Yet, both Getz and Perry will probably be future HOFers.

Carlsson also improved as the WC went on. Or do you believe that Carlsson's production would complete cease to exist?

Fantilli and Carlsson are two different types of players whose compete and motor are so high that they're considered for the top-3 in the draft. You have to have both if you're considered top-3 in the draft. The choices are "fast and furious" and "cerebral and calculating". Any franchise can build around both. Fortunately for the Ducks, they already have a couple of top-6 centers and Fantilli can add a dimension that is needed to complement the top-6.
I'm sure even you can see that comparing Cogs and Getz when a comparison was made between Carlsson and Fantelli is pretty dumb.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Comparing Cogliano to Fantilli is like if I compared Carlsson to Lundestrom & Pahlsson.
Cogliano had a terrible shot, was undersized, had no playmaking ability and couldn't play center.

If Will Smith were 6'3 i'd take him over Carlsson because if he were bigger he'd be an absolute force and he plays a non-safe game, Will Smith has an elite shot and loves scoring goals and he's also got an elite IQ and playmaking. I think that is part of the reason some teams have Will Smith at #3, because he has both playmaking/IQ/Vision along with an elite shot and elite goal scoring ability.
Size is the only thing that keeps Smith from going #3

SJ is gonna be really happy with Smith imo, he's gonna be dynamic whether he's passing to setup other players or firing his cannon shot for a goal. Makes me realize again how loaded this draft is that the #4 Smith is gonna be a heck of a player.

Reactions: Johnnyduck

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Rewatching the Latvia-Canada semi's and Fantilli was a beast. He scored a highlight reel goal but you can see he was damn near to scoring two more (on that play where he shot from a negative angle and the puck COULD had bounced a bit better off Silovs and it would had trickled into the net - albeit that's a bit wishful thinking :laugh: but honestly it wasn't that far off had it hit a different piece of equipment. But then that move on the PP and a sick shot that beat Silovs but hit the post.

IIRC he was not that dangerous in the final, but just like in WJC, he came close to scoring several times but was not able to bury it.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
1686822249528.png

Good for them (Habs) to check the options I guess.

Reactions: lwvs84
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad