Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
The comment on Morin especially, I really like the kid but that's a pretty big outlier of an opinion. Most seem to have him as more of late first to mid second type prospect.

Morin does have poise very far beyond his years. Saw him playing as an underager and he looks like one of those guys who could manage the game sitting in a chair.

He's interesting for sure, in the playoffs he reminded me of when I watched Chabot in the Q and just how far ahead of everyone else he was in terms of processing the game. But his skating is nowhere near Chabot's and he's not very physical. I think he could very well be the best defender in the draft but it's a risky projection with his physical tools.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
+ Krebs isn't that good, he was decent in his first year with Buffalo but then took a step back this past season.
Could've called that. He showed flashes in Vegas but he has this weird tendency of playing like he's lulled into a waking sleep just watching the play happen. Doesn't do enough to get to scoring areas with or without the puck. Not to say he's not involved in the play but he doesn't do enough to make himself a threat.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
You know not everyone is a monolingual American, right? It is mandatory to have not only one, but two foreign languages at school in almost every single European country. Hell, I had had Latin, English and Spanish at school and just for shits and giggles also took up some classes in Dutch, Italian, Swedish and Finnish at university - and I am by no means the only one who speaks 3+ languages fluently or 5+ languages at a low level.

You know I said "pretty impressive to overcome the stuttering problem along with knowing at least two different languages." Not everyone in America thinks the rest of the world is monolingual, then again, sometimes reading comprehension is a different matter from knowing more than one language.

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
You know I said "pretty impressive to overcome the stuttering problem along with knowing at least two different languages." Not everyone in America thinks the rest of the world is monolingual, then again, sometimes reading comprehension is a different matter from knowing more than one language.
You combined the first sentence part with the second sentence part with a connective, "along with". Hence you created a causal relationship between parts I and II. Therefore my complaint about the utterance of "knowing at least two languages" is still completely valid. I appreciate your concerns about my reading comprehension, but as an English teacher, I can assure you that I can fully comprehend whatever you write just fine.

Aside from that you most likely did not understand (or didn't care about) the implications of my previous posting. Since Carlsson is Swedish, he also falls right into the category of Europeans who have to have two foreign language classes at school, and therefore the astonishment proclaimed by you about him overcoming stuttering problems *in at least two languages* is only partly understandable, since the two-languages-part applies to pretty much the whole continent.
Sweden has, by the way, a higher level of English education than the US itself, and people there tend to commit less mistakes both grammatically as well as orthographically than Americans on average.

Reactions: Deuce22

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
If they draft fantilli. Him coming over depends on him playing center. That's where he wants to play.we have zegras and McTavish here. Zegras will have to move to wing

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
You combined the first sentence part with the second sentence part with a connective, "along with". Hence you created a causal relationship between parts I and II. Therefore my complaint about the utterance of "knowing at least two languages" is still completely valid. I appreciate your concerns about my reading comprehension, but as an English teacher, I can assure you that I can fully comprehend whatever you write just fine.

Aside from that you most likely did not understand (or didn't care about) the implications of my previous posting. Since Carlsson is Swedish, he also falls right into the category of Europeans who have to have two foreign language classes at school, and therefore the astonishment proclaimed by you about him overcoming stuttering problems *in at least two languages* is only partly understandable, since the two-languages-part applies to pretty much the whole continent.
Sweden has, by the way, a higher level of English education than the US itself, and people there tend to commit less mistakes both grammatically as well as orthographically than Americans on average.

I believe we're misunderstanding one another. You believe most Americans are not monolingual. I do not. I stated not everyone in America thinks the rest of the world is monolingual, implying that many others do think English is the only language learned. The rest of the world caters to the English language, so it's much easier not to emphasize learning a second language fluently as a nation.

Sure, Spanish is taught at the high school level in America, but it's far too late to introduce learning a language so that one can communicate fluently or fluidly. A majority who are multilingual in America have English as their second language, but they represent the minority of Americans. English is my fourth language, but English is my strongest language as I was taught it from before pre-school because that was the design my parents. Of course, when one's young it's all one big language and you don't realize it until you're older that you know more than one language. When I realized it during grade school, I was in the minority of knowing more than one language once we moved states side.

Let's look at baseball. Most Japanese players have interpreters. Most players coming from Latin countries not named Mexico have interpreters. Why aren't Japanese players speaking fluently in English? Why are players from Latin countries not speaking fluently in English? America is bookended with the French language above them and the Spanish language below them. Why does an MLB telecast need interpreters for Spanish speaking players since, by your own account, Americans are not monolingual? Similarly, why does an NHL game not be broadcasted in French in all American stations? Surely using you as a standard might be an exception than standard.

Overcoming stuttering is an impressive feat. Learning two languages well enough to communicate is an impressive feat. Using your own self as an example does not equate to "most Americans knows another language well enough to communicate fluently nor fluidly in that secondary language". While you aren't impressed, I am impressed and this is me having English as my fourth language. Learning math is actually learning another language that's more universal than English. Learning anything is difficult. Why put down a person who is impressed with someone overcoming stuttering on top of learning at least two languages? Are you trying to flex your exceptionality as a standard?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
As mentioned before, Fantilli was training with the Hughes bros and Zegras the previous summer, this is interesting. So while we missed out on Bedard-McTavish connection, there is something to Zegras-Fantilli. Zegras was liking some of the Fantilli Insta posts past year, so they're at least on some friendly level. The skill and the pesty-ness of that duo could be a lot to handle for opposing teams. Old-school, new-school blend with a touch of pesky-ness

PS
Carlsson is build more like Getzlaf as well. Fantillis sholders are lower. In the Worlds as well that seemingly lower his posture on the ice (I don't even know what this means, I just hope you understand what I mean, lol). But not like it seems to bother him at this point, he's hitting everybody anyway.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
That's a young Crosby build. Kid isn't just immensely talented but very clearly has the drive.
I'm getting more convinced he's on his way to become the best player in the league for some time. He's 2 months away from being eligible for the 2024 draft. He's very young.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
As mentioned before, Fantilli was training with the Hughes bros and Zegras the previous summer, this is interesting. So while we missed out on Bedard-McTavish connection, there is something to Zegras-Fantilli. Zegras was liking some of the Fantilli Insta posts past year, so they're at least on some friendly level. The skill and the pesty-ness of that duo could be a lot to handle for opposing teams. Old-school, new-school blend with a touch of pesky-ness
I could totally see Zegras doing his impression of Corey Perry but with Fantilli actually having to do all the punching, something Getzlaf used to joked he had to do for Pears. Zegras does have better balance than Perry though, maybe it's the modern blades.

independent observer

Apr 9, 2023
If the Ducks don‘t select Michkov they are nuts. Before the Ukraine war unfolded many saw him equal to Bedard… talents like him don‘t come around often…

It would be a huge mistake not waiting for him. The Ducks are anyway not competitive in the next few years… better continue to tank and assemble more talent…

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I don't know if it's that serious. I'm sure the Org has a much better read on the situation. If it's a real concern they won't draft him. Doesn't really say, "I don't like the Ducks" so much as "that was weird" I think it is fair to say PV can be awkward in his interviews.
I'm not worried about it affecting the Ducks decision but it is potentially casting all involved in a bad light (does he really want to be in Anaheim?) and it's unfair to them. I wouldn't want unsourced rumors about me at work or home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad