Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
A very intriguing player as a long term project. Not too concerned with the high plus/minus since the whole team sucks with him. This is alike the Gulls' situation, where our team sucked to finish last in the league. Grimaldi and Groulx have high plus/minus ratings, but they're also the team's top two scorers. We can infer that they were on the ice more often as they were part the first line forward grouping.

Here's Terrance's THW scouting report, and I'd like to take a chance at him with our 59th, 60th, or 65th picks.

I overlooked him this year because he looks soft. But he has a good motor and skating abilities so that can translate... plus I like to root for guys who have a different backgrounds... I think he could have some big upside and worth a pick with our late 2nd or 3rds.

Reactions: Kalv

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I agree with a lot of this, particularly that a NHL team wants to have control of the player's training and development. What I don't understand is why you seems to be so high on Michkov. Any team drafting him is likely to have zero control or input on his development for at least several years and, instead, will need to rely on the KHL where players are likely to develop bad habits.

I was going to post exactly this. To make a blanket statement like that is just asinine. Every player is different and every situation is different. You can't compare the development trajectory of a top draft pick who is one of the highest rated prospects in recent years (Fanitlli would have been the top pick in most recent drafts) to a low first round draft pick like Lundestrom.

In Fantilli's case, it seems like he'll get a lot more from the NHL/AHL experience and he's physically ready for that. He's also coming to a team/coach/gm emphasizing player development, with a chance to have an immediate impact on the team's core. I think an argument can be made about personal development (i.e., going to college might have some off ice benefits). But turning pro allows the player to spend a lot more time training and almost always provides better resources for physical and skill development. Not a criticism of Michigan. But no college is going to offer NHL level player development.
I'm high on Michkov because I believe he is right there with Bedard talent wise. Of course his situation isn't good, but I think the team that drafts him with be very happy down the road.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I agree with a lot of this, particularly that a NHL team wants to have control of the player's training and development. What I don't understand is why you seems to be so high on Michkov. Any team drafting him is likely to have zero control or input on his development for at least several years and, instead, will need to rely on the KHL where players are likely to develop bad habits.

I was going to post exactly this. To make a blanket statement like that is just asinine. Every player is different and every situation is different. You can't compare the development trajectory of a top draft pick who is one of the highest rated prospects in recent years (Fanitlli would have been the top pick in most recent drafts) to a low first round draft pick like Lundestrom.

In Fantilli's case, it seems like he'll get a lot more from the NHL/AHL experience and he's physically ready for that. He's also coming to a team/coach/gm emphasizing player development, with a chance to have an immediate impact on the team's core. I think an argument can be made about personal development (i.e., going to college might have some off ice benefits). But turning pro allows the player to spend a lot more time training and almost always provides better resources for physical and skill development. Not a criticism of Michigan. But no college is going to offer NHL level player development.
Not to mention he would be making 950k this season as a pro too. There is 0 chance he goes back to college people. It’s just a player who loves his teammates and had separation anxiety. Even his coaches say they don’t expect him back.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Fantilli for sure, gives off Getzlaf 2.0 vibes

I think I am back to wanting fantilli, but I would be lying if I said that wasn’t because the large majority of scouts gave him at 2 and I assume they are better at their job then I am.

However, I think Carlsson is infinitely closer to a Getzlaf comp than Fantilli. Fantilli and Getz play nothing alike.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

6'1, great skater, led his team in scoring. Might be someone we target with a lower round pick. He had the worst +/- on the team despite being their best scorer tho.

Just grabbed him the other day in our latest mock draft, with one of our late 2nds. Strikes me as a high floor prospect but not lacking upside either. Would be nice to have some burners in the system.

Reactions: Kalv and lwvs84

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
He’s not going to sd and he knows that. He’s seen our lineup..
Not his choice though...his play will determine where he plays (NHL or AHL) and I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't ready for the NHL in October. And if he isn't ready I would fully expect management to send him to SD for a spell. Probably not the whole year but maybe until the end of the calendar year depending on how he does down there. We just don't know right now.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

If there's a particular prospect I'd want to move up and grab with another first, it would probably be Callum Ritchie. The production this year might drag him down a bit but he seems like an easy candidate for a big breakout D+1. The idea of a big, skilled, high IQ right shot forward added to the mix is quite appealing.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I think I am back to wanting fantilli, but I would be lying if I said that wasn’t because the large majority of scouts gave him at 2 and I assume they are better at their job then I am.

However, I think Carlsson is infinitely closer to a Getzlaf comp than Fantilli. Fantilli and Getz play nothing alike.
One is fast, biased towards taking shots, and isn't great at using teammates or slowing the game down; the other is Getzlaf.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Fantilli is like a taller Mackinnon.

People make it seem like Fantilli is Byfield lol. Can't use ur teammates as well when they are Lucic who skates like a 70 year-old man.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Fantilli had 35 assists this season at Michigan. I highly doubt they were all secondary or due to rebounds off shots.

I hope people aren’t saying he “doesn’t use his teammates well” off a small sample size of seeing him on the 4th line for about two weeks at the WC.

Everything I’ve read about him over the past year mentions hockey IQ and play making as a strength.

Reactions: lwvs84
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Fantilli is like a taller Mackinnon.

People make it seem like Fantilli is Byfield lol. Can't use ur teammates as well when they are Lucic who skates like a 70 year-old man.

Fantilli had 35 assists this season at Michigan. I highly doubt they were all secondary or due to rebounds off shots.

I hope people aren’t saying he “doesn’t use his teammates well” off a small sample size of seeing him on the 4th line for about two weeks at the WC.

Everything I’ve read about him over the past year mentions hockey IQ and play making as a strength.
People bitching about mild criticism which was tossed out in comparison to one of the best playmakers of his generation towards a prospect who isn't ours yet. And they can't even get the quote right.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Carlsson is very well spoken too. Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson probably the best speakers i've seen at the top of the draft in a long time

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Carlsson is very well spoken too. Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson probably the best speakers i've seen at the top of the draft in a long time

iirc, didn't Carlsson grow up with a stuttering problem? pretty impressive to overcome the stuttering problem along with knowing at least two different languages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad