Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I'd be happy with all of their 1st round picks for the next 10 years.
I wonder if they might be willing to put Slaf in with their pick.

Anyhow, I don't see how they'd intrigue us, but interesting to think about.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
don't think Smith is that good to drop from #2 to #5 for, and not really interested in Slaf as a player. nothing montreal has would be worth it for us to lose out on Fantilli/Carlsson
Yeah its a bad fit because their other top young guys Caufield and Suzuki(5'11) are Small
Downgrading from 6'3 Carlsson or 6'2 Fantilli to 5'11 Suzuki or 5'4 Caufield (exaggerating his height but still) is not something i'd ever consider.
Then there is Guhle & Hutson but the Ducks are loaded on Dmen.

I'd be happy with all of their 1st round picks for the next 10 years.
That I might consider because thats like an extra lottery dice roll for Misa in 2025, Celebrini in 2024, Mckenna in 2026. McKenna is supposed to be Bedard level and is even his cousin.

I think Chicago will win another #1 overall and get one of those guys :( I just hope they don't get McKenna.

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Yeah its a bad fit because their other top young guys Caufield and Suzuki(5'11) are Small
Downgrading from 6'3 Carlsson or 6'2 Fantilli to 5'11 Suzuki or 5'4 Caufield (exaggerating his height but still) is not something i'd ever consider.
Then there is Guhle & Hutson but the Ducks are loaded on Dmen.

That I might consider because thats like an extra lottery dice roll for Misa in 2025, Celebrini in 2024, Mckenna in 2026. McKenna is supposed to be Bedard level and is even his cousin.

I think Chicago will win another #1 overall and get one of those guys :( I just hope they don't get McKenna.
Chicago will win another #1 and two #2 picks in the next three years. Just watch it, Bettman will do everything he can to help his favorite pet market out.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Chicago will win another #1 and two #2 picks in the next three years. Just watch it, Bettman will do everything he can to help his favorite pet market out.
Or they win #1 in next three drafts.
Reichel/Bedard/McKenna.
Celebrini/Misa/Nazar

Just saw that Reichel had 15 points in 23 games, that 2020 draft for Germany is huge.
I'm guessing Chicago is gonna staple him to Bedard.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Can't Chicago not win a 1st OA for a few years now since they won the lotto this year? i think it would be the case at least for next year

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

For those categories:

Skater: Fantilli (3); Carlsson (NR)
Shot: Fantilli (HM); Carlsson (NR)
Passer: Fantilli (NR); Carlsson (5)
Hands: Fantilli (HM); Carlsson (7)
Competitive: Fantilli (3); Carlsson (NR)
Smart: Fantilli (NR); Carlsson (7)
2-way: Fantilli (NR); Carlsson (NR)
Floor: Fantilli (2); Carlsson (5)
Ceiling: Fantilli (4); Carlsson (5)

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
For those categories:

Skater: Fantilli (3); Carlsson (NR)
Shot: Fantilli (HM); Carlsson (NR)
Passer: Fantilli (NR); Carlsson (5)
Hands: Fantilli (HM); Carlsson (7)
Competitive: Fantilli (3); Carlsson (NR)
Smart: Fantilli (NR); Carlsson (7)
2-way: Fantilli (NR); Carlsson (NR)
Floor: Fantilli (2); Carlsson (5)
Ceiling: Fantilli (4); Carlsson (5)

The Floor and Ceiling part is interesting.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The Floor and Ceiling part is interesting.
I can see why they think Fantilli has a higher ceiling than Carlsson. If he improves his playmaking, with his speed he should end up being 100 point player.

The part that seems questionable in the ranking is Carlsson should have higher ranking on passing and Fantilli should be high in 2way ranking.

Reactions: Leonardo87
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I can see why they think Fantilli has a higher ceiling than Carlsson. If he improves his playmaking, with his speed he should end up being 100 point player.

The part that seems questionable in the ranking is Carlsson should have higher ranking on passing and Fantilli should be high in 2way ranking.
Above Carlsson in passing were Cristall, Smith, Benson, and Perreault. Seems reasonable?

2way, is Fantilli considered a high-end 2way guy? Or is he just a very talented offensive player who backchecks hard.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Above Carlsson in passing were Cristall, Smith, Benson, and Perreault. Seems reasonable?

2way, is Fantilli considered a high-end 2way guy? Or is he just a very talented offensive player who backchecks hard.
Yeah I guess, except Perreault who i've seen people describe as a passenger who is playing on a loaded line. Have read Smith and Benson are very very talented playmakers.

Interesting about Cristall, i've seen some mocks put him in middle of first round and some put him in 2nd round.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm sure even you can see that comparing Cogs and Getz when a comparison was made between Carlsson and Fantelli is pretty dumb.

Posters gotta hot takes and posters like hot takes. Let's correct your flawed thinking.

After watching our most recent runs in the Getzlaf era, I value motor and compete over any other attribute a player can possess, and in my opinion Adam is just as willed as Bedard if not more. also believe Fantili will be more of a competitor than Getzy was.

Here's the OP's subject starter. Getz is probably going to be in the NHL HOF. Fantilli is already pegged for the HOF by the poster without ever setting a foot in the league. @mightyquack must be agreeing with @Johnnyduck wholeheartedly!

People should stop equating fast skating with compete/motor b/c it's saying the tortoise doesn't have high compete/motor like the hare due to the fact you can't see the tortoise speeding like the hare.

Getz was taken 19th overall in the 2003 draft. Cogs was taken 25th overall in the 2005 draft. I'm pretty sure Cogs' "compete/motor (aka has elite skating that visually shows a player off more than without)" trait/attribute was always there pre-draft. This Getz & Cogs example is showing a flaw in @Johnnyduck logic when we fast forward from their draft years.

Fantilli and Carlsson are two different types of players whose compete and motor are so high that they're considered for the top-3 in the draft. You have to have both if you're considered top-3 in the draft. The choices are "fast and furious" and "cerebral and calculating". Any franchise can build around both. Fortunately for the Ducks, they already have a couple of top-6 centers and Fantilli can add a dimension that is needed to complement the top-6.

Holy shitballs, Batman! Do you mean paragraphs identify different ideas? Getz & Cogs example shows off a flaw in narrow logic. Fantilli & Carlsson example shows a more expansive logic as it redefines "motor/compete" away from "elite skating".

I think @mightyquack hot take and liking the hot take without actually reading is idiotic. Note, I'm saying the actions are idiotic and not the posters.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
They can win one more in the next four drafts. In other words, teams can win the lotto twice in a five year period.
Yup so they finish last next season, but ream 12 or later wins the lotto so they still pick fist. Then they win again before they fall out of the top 10 haha. That's about the only way it would be possible.

Reactions: LuckyDucky

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I think from a flash perspective, it seems reasonable. Recently, Elite Prospects updated their scouting profile on Carlsson on youtube. The scout (St Louis) cited that Carlsson can do flashy passing, but only does it at specific times b/c Carlsson is looking for the most efficient play. It's because of that efficiency is why he'll never be put on the same level with Smith passing pre-NHL.

The league they play in matters too. I think EP scout St. Louis shared that idea in the recent scouting report (or it must have been in a different scouting report). Cristal (WHL), Smith (USNTDP), Benson (WHL), and Perreault (USNTDP) all play in lower leagues in their respective peer age range, where they can get away with being taking more risks in passing. Carlsson plays in the top tier men's league in Sweden, the SHL, as a 17/18 year old. Carlsson would probably be demoted from the SHL club if he did take too many risks because it's a more costly result if the risks don't pan out. The plus side to being risk averse in a top tier men's league is it should translate well to the NHL.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
All I know is, I would hope this group of fans would be happy with either choice (Fantilli or Carlsson)

It’s funny reading some Ducks fans and their Facebook, Twitter and Instagram posts. It’s like Fantilli or bust. (And some other strong verbiage if they don’t take him)

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I still think they'll take Fantilli but at least there might be a bit of anticipation leading up to the draft. i don't i'd make any big bets either way.

Reactions: Kalv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad