Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016

We can probably dismiss the trade part, but I wonder where is this rumor coming from. Would our magmt just talk to somebody and say "yeah, we're picking Carlsson"? Doubt that. But if there is something to it... eh, the long offseason is killing me lol.

It came from simps looking for clicks

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I am curious if the Ducks pick Carlsson, will the fans be upset? Likely won’t happen, but I am curious.
The twitter/reddit/AC crowd will call for Verbeek's job.

I will be disappointed, but at this point you have to trust the Ducks scouts. I was disappointed when they took McTavish and Lindholm, and I was excited when they took Etem and Ritchie. It is clear fans are not as good as professional scouts lol.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I am curious if the Ducks pick Carlsson, will the fans be upset? Likely won’t happen, but I am curious.
For me its more so what would happen after the draft years from now, the moment Fantilli becomes a Mackinnon-ish superstar with Columbus while Carlsson is just an average pass first low end 1C I'd hope they fire some people in the scouting department for missing out on a player like that. Madden's scouts leave alot to be desired when it comes to forwards so I wouldn't mind some of them being replaced with guys who find/evaluate forwards better.

I kind of see the Fantilli vs Carlsson like Hirschier vs Patrick. The consensus was Hirschier like it is with Fantilli but some people were Patrick fans. NJ made the smart move picking the more slick player instead of the 'bigger guy'. Hirschier is 6'1, Patrick is 6'2. That is where i am worried, i worry that picking Carlsson is like taking Patrick over Hirschier and that we'll severely regret it.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
BTW appears to be alot of Habs/SJ fans voting in this poll for Michkov so that one of Fantilli/Carlsson falls to Habs/SJ.

• Haha
Reactions: Arthuros

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
For me its more so what would happen after the draft years from now, the moment Fantilli becomes a Mackinnon-ish superstar with Columbus while Carlsson is just an average pass first low end 1C I'd hope they fire some people in the scouting department for missing out on a player like that. Madden's scouts leave alot to be desired when it comes to forwards so I wouldn't mind some of them being replaced with guys who find/evaluate forwards better.

I kind of see the Fantilli vs Carlsson like Hirschier vs Patrick. The consensus was Hirschier like it is with Fantilli but some people were Patrick fans. NJ made the smart move picking the more slick player instead of the 'bigger guy'. Hirschier is 6'1, Patrick is 6'2. That is where i am worried, i worry that picking Carlsson is like taking Patrick over Hirschier and that we'll severely regret it.

So the funny think about the 2017 draft is that there was a consensus top 2 guys in the media, but a lot of stuff has come out that teams outside the top 2 had Miro and Makar as the top 2. Also that Philly's scouts wanted either Miro or Makar (I cant remember which) and Hextall went above them and took Patrick.

I think its actually a good example that we have no idea how teams have their list. Everyone in the media loves Fantilli, but the Ducks could have him at 5 for all we know and be debating between Smith and Carlsson.

Nothing would surprise me.

BTW appears to be alot of Habs/SJ fans voting in this poll for Michkov so that one of Fantilli/Carlsson falls to Habs/SJ.
Should we tell them that Madden doesn't take our opinion into account?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
On the more believable side, this could be stemming the the college situation. I would be surprised if that was the rationale but is a real risk and one you don't really get with Carlsson assuming when asked he was okay with the AHL. I assume like Lindholm or Lundy he would qualify.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Does this sound a tiny bit like Fantilli vs Carlsson ?
The old scouting report on Hischier vs Patrick is that Hischier is the explosive skater while Patrick was the better playmaker and is bigger. 6'1 vs 6'2
If Bedard wasn't in the draft, there would be a debate at #1 between Fantilli and Carlsson.
Also Hischier is a great 2way player like Fantilli has shown to be in NCAA.

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
The twitter/reddit/AC crowd will call for Verbeek's job.

I will be disappointed, but at this point you have to trust the Ducks scouts. I was disappointed when they took McTavish and Lindholm, and I was excited when they took Etem and Ritchie. It is clear fans are not as good as professional scouts lol.
Absolutely, I definitely trust the Ducks' scouts. If they say someone else is the better pick, I will give them the benefit of the doubt because they've been so good at scouting and drafting.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I'd rather be at #2 "worrying" about Fantilli vs Carlsson than at #3 worrying (for real) about Carlsson vs Smith or at #4 worrying (for real) about anyone else.

I think Fantilli and Carlsson are both on a whole different level compared to Hischier and Patrick.

I trust the Ducks scouts a whole lot less about picking forwards than others here but even they can't screw up the #2 pick as long as they take either Fantilli or Carlsson. Pick #33? Lot's of ways to screw that one up starting with Stramel.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Some will be I'm sure. I might have a little pang since I've become partial to Fantilli because I liked his interviews and the news stories about him, plus we've had so few physically dominant top 6 forwards (or top 2Ds) that it just really feels like he fills a need. Having guys like Getz/Kesler/Pronger is so satisfying that it's hard to pass that up.

But Carlsson looked better recently and seems to have a similar ceiling so it's hard to be upset about picking him.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
a little pang
giphy.gif

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Doubt it happens, but if it does, I'll be fine with it, just surprised. Carlsson will be a heck of a player and they both have areas to work on, they're not finished products. Further development will be important. As much as we fans think the prospects potential is 99% clear come draft time, it is not. It is far from it. So things can go good and things can go bad.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Doubt it happens, but if it does, I'll be fine with it, just surprised. Carlsson will be a heck of a player and they both have areas to work on, they're not finished products. Further development will be important. As much as we fans think the prospects potential is 99% clear come draft time, it is not. It is far from it. So things can go good and things can go bad.

I’m just trying to get some chatter going. Off-season is upon us. But at least we have the draft and free agency on the near horizon. After that it’s the dog days of summer.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I’m just trying to get some chatter going. Off-season is upon us. But at least we have the draft and free agency on the near horizon. After that it’s the dog days of summer.
Yeah offseason is sad :laugh: I cannot wait for draft, especially for day 2. Interesting that this year it is not on weekend.
Personally, I'm not waiting that much for July 1st, I don't think we will be able to get anything meaningful done. We just had a historic season for all the bad reason, plus it',s not the strongest crop. We will jeed some diamonds but not expectong them in day 1. That's just me tho :laugh:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think i have Carlsson below Fantilli/Michkov/Smith....

would i be upset... prob not....as i feel like the scouts have earned the right to pick who they want.... and ill trust them.

Will i be mad in 5 years when Fantilli michkov and smith are better than him... probably.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I'm not in the camp of "trust the scouts no matter what." The general consensus seems to be Fantilli and if the pick winds up being someone else, I'll be skeptical without making any judgement or having any preliminary opinion about it for at least a year.

Freaking out just because your guy wasn't chosen is baby stuff.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I like Fantilli and hope he is picked. If the Ducks pass on him, I would guess something in the interviews may have made Mgmt go for Carlsson.

I would be ticked if Columbus wins the cup, and we haven’t won our second one. Even more so if Fantilli wins the Conn Smythe.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad