Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Obviously this is unrelated at this point but this is why I never bought the idea that some people were pushing that our ownership would take issue with a tank this year. Whatever the revenue hit was from this season would easily get made up by bringing in a guaranteed money maker like Bedard

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
There are two things that are frustrating for me. Number 1 is getting so close, things were literally going perfect for us, no movement at all. Even going into the final revelation, the odds were with us. it felt like it was on our doorstep. Number 2 is it obviously being Chicago, i could've rested easier with a team like CBJ, AZ, or even MTL. Although i will not go as far as others and say i would've even preferred SJ, because i think that would be really bad for the Ducks. But Chicago is a team which has had just a lot of stuff go their way, and not to mention they beat us in a painful playoff series 8 years ago where we probably win the cup if we get by them in that game 7.

Fun fact: this is the second time in three years with this exact scenario. No movement until the top 3 in 2021 as well, except that year, Buffalo stayed at 1 and we got bounced to 3 and leapfrogged by Seattle. McTavish and whoever they take this year are going to be terrific players, but it's still incredibly annoying.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Feels so deflating to finally get a good shot a prospect like Bedard only to get f***ed over. Don't think I'll be watching many games next year, definitely not paying for any.

I guess you take Fantilli. Ducks can't wait for Michkov.

Only positive thing I feel is this draft is good or at least better than many before it.
It sucks, but the team is going to be more watchable next season even without Bedard.

New coach with a new system, and hopefully a lot of young players joining the roster including Fantilli.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Fun fact: this is the second time in three years with this exact scenario. No movement until the top 3 in 2021 as well, except that year, Buffalo stayed at 1 and we got bounced to 3 and leapfrogged by Seattle. McTavish and whoever they take this year are going to be terrific players, but it's still incredibly annoying.
Definitely. I think i might feel this way even if there wasn't a Bedard. even tho I think Mctavish might become a better player than Beniers, it's still annoying af as you said

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
The one lesson to all this is “The” Connor might not even make it out of the second round.

I’m not sure who we should pick, but we do need someone who will be able to make teammates better and be driven constantly improve, whether face-offs or deflecting the puck.

I still look at Crosby as the generational player above the others because apart from his talent he could make anyone on his line better.

I don’t know who in the draft comes the closest to that, but right now skating like McDavid and shooting like Matthews is not high on my list of attributes.

John

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
The one lesson to all this is “The” Connor might not even make it out of the second round.

I’m not sure who we should pick, but we do need someone who will be able to make teammates better and be driven constantly improve, whether face-offs or deflecting the puck.

I still look at Crosby as the generational player above the others because apart from his talent he could make anyone on his line better.

I don’t know who in the draft comes the closest to that, but right now skating like McDavid and shooting like Matthews is not high on my list of attributes.

John
McDavid is also a fantastic playmaker, definitely up there with with Crosby. I agree with you on Matthews, i am not particularly a fan of that type of player as talented as he is. I don't think Bedard will quite reach either, he will produce closer to a MacKinnon level imo

I think Fantilli would be just fine, he reminds me of Eichel with perhaps a bit less of the playmaking bias that Jack has. Eichel had to work a lot on his defensive play and still does even, so Fantilli is similar in that respect as well.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
How’s that a reach? PLD is the floor, MacKinnon with some M. Tkachuk is the ceiling.

I can see a PLD in the cards. But MacKinnon? Quite the stretch.

everyone knows.. MacKinnon has game breaking ability and his skating is phenomenal. He just has a next level gear that to me - IMO, is hard to match.

Maybe a Tkachuk is a better comparable, but I don’t see pest in his game whatsoever. Physical? Sure

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California

everyone knows.. MacKinnon has game breaking ability and his skating is phenomenal. He just has a next level gear that to me - IMO, is hard to match.

Maybe a Tkachuk is a better comparable, but I don’t see pest in his game whatsoever. Physical? Sure
I think we will all be very disappointed if we only end up with a PLD after this horrid season.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

John

Is this sarcasm? If not lol. That’s shocking - what are you looking for in this draft?

None of our forwards surprise me, or can beat any player with their speed. We need more offensive threats, particularly those who can shoot the puck. Terry, Zegras and McTavish are a good three to build around, why not add more scoring options?

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019

Fantilli said he models his game after MacKinnon and Bergeron

Reactions: McDonald19

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Murray also drafted McTavish at #2 OA with Swedes D Edvinsson and LW Eklund available in the 2021 draft. An overwhelming majority of this board would have taken Eklund or Edvinsson over McTavish. Not many wanted McTavish at all.

McT #3 overall*

I don't recall more than a couple others who were wanting Edvinsson. Eklund for sure, but otherwise Hughes with some Johnson/Guenther/McTavish sprinkled in.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
This video is really interesting. It's 1 year old, looking at his USHL year (in Chicago, lol). He plays a bit differently here, seems to be less-perimeter, it's a great analysis as always from Elite Prospects. Also mentions his shortcomings at that time.
Overall, I think he showed all he could show in the NCAA, time to go Pro and start adjusting his game for that:

This was supposedly his "bad tournament". He is quite multi-dimensional and contributes to his team in many ways, I especially see this useful in the playoffs.

The only knock on him I guess I see in him is he's quite perimeter-focused. He still goes to the net many times tho, and certainly is not soft so it should be ok.

Worth to mention is Fantilli, Zegras, McTavish, Lundestrom are all lefties. Terry, Gaucher are righties

These are great scouting videos and you have to watch it in the order of his D-1 review and D+0 WJC-20. I've been mentioning how Fantilli's explosive offense got muted against tougher competition in the Big-10 and Frozen Four, but other players' offense carried the team. These two videos captures my concern of Fantilli.

[link] D-1 video
[link] Pros: size, speed, shot, and physicality [/link]
[link] Cons: offensive read and recognition [/link] [/link]

Fantilli dominates the USHL level because of his size and elite speed, essentially bullying his way around.

[link] D+0 WJC-20
[link] Pros: elite speed, size, physicality, and takeaways [/link]
[link] Cons: shot accuracy, shot speed, offensive read and recognition [/link] [/link]

Adam is a tenacious puck hound as he's able to use his elite skating in stealing pucks back. That speed is on full display and makes me just quote, "I feel the need, the need for speed." I love his visceral hitting and finding the soft spots for one-timers. But against tougher competition (including goalies), that offense gets muted at this tourney.

I see the continuity between his D-1 scouting video, his WJC-20 scouting video, and his muted offense against tougher competition in the Big-10 championship as well as the Frozen Four. Fantilli has been hyped up so much that I'm expecting to see that hype play out, but I didn't get it at the WJC-20. Fantilli finished with 5 points and a +0 rating in 7 tournament games; Bedard finished with 23 points and +14 rating in 7 games. That's why there's a huge gap between Bedard and Fantilli (sigh... damned rigged lottery).

When I recall McTavish's WJC-18 scouting video, which was made by the same creator bigwhite06, I came away more in awe of McTavish. McTavish's offensive IQ as well as read & recognition are better than Fantilli's, but McTavish moves like a cruise liner compared to Fantilli's skating.

We're going to have to pair Fantilli with a more offensively gifted player. Fortunately, the Ducks have two offensively gifted centermen in Zegras and McTavish. I can see Fantilli shifting to wing because Z and McTavish appear to be locked at center. Then Fantilli can get to all those soft spots for tap-ins or one-timers, but Fantilli needs to improve his one-time shot power and accuracy. Fantilli's elite speed and puck hounding traits would be amazing on 3v3 OT. Also, Anaheim does have other players step up in offensive production if Fantilli's offense gets muted against tougher competition.

Reactions: Kalv

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Is this sarcasm? If not lol. That’s shocking - what are you looking for in this draft?
It was a bit sarcastic. But the ice gets a lot smaller in the playoffs. Both McDavid and MacKinnon have not dominated in the SCP. MacKinnon won last year, but he had a lot of pieces around him.

Draisaitl has been the most impressive, although he has been the recipient of McDavid being on the ice.

Not sure who in the draft, Fantilli seems to be the consensus. Don’t know his work ethic and desire to fix any flaws.

John

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Depends, if he has PLDs skillset but more heart, that's a player who won't disappoint.

The problem with PLD is that he doesn't show much pulse at times, doesn't seem like the case with Fantilli.
Agree. From what I've been reading his compete level is extremely high. Like a dog on a bone. That and his nasty streak really have me hyped on him. That's the kind of leadership that wins playoff games. Exactly what is missing from all the talent in Toronto.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
That was a surprising pick for several reasons, but considering he resigned ~3 months later, you have to wonder how much power he really had at that point.

Regardless, this is a lot of thought being put into what I felt was a pretty unimportant joke about Bob Murray having a preference for Swedish players. Pretty sure at one point we had Lundestrom, Aberg, Rakell, Lindholm, Silf, Larsson, and Pettersson on the bench all at one time.

This is a joke right?

A pretty unimportant joke that you had to bring it up as a point of reference. And then bring up many Swedes that have been acquired by Murray after citing "a pretty unimportant joke about Bob Murray having a preference for Swedish players" make me think you've got a hang up on Murray.

Those guys aren't locked in at center by any means

There's a difference between "locked at center" and "appears to be locked at center".

f1e8bd7a-e9bc-4b21-9276-134194e3c0f8_text.gif

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad