Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mirasane

Apr 5, 2006
It has to be Fantilli. Few months ago I read a topic where people compared Fantilli to Getzlaf. Thought then that he should be destined to Anaheim to fill Ryan's skates.

Reactions: McDonald19 and Kalv

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Fantilli and McTavish will be the Ducks only forwards with elite shots and 1 timers. Carlsson would be another Zegras/Terry playmaker except he's big though. Needed another shot like McT and Need someone other than Lundestrom that extremely fast.
I feel like you're not giving Terry enough love on his shooting. He did score 37.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
alright I have to ask the more knowledgable posters on this..

what are the chances we get Byfielded with Fantilli?
Zero. High IQ player with strong compete level and 2way play and his numbers in NCAA are 2nd to only Eichel. The defense and 2way play of Beniers with the offensive ceiling of Eichel/Matthews.
The bonus is he has a bit of a mean streak to him :D

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
This was supposedly his "bad tournament". He is quite multi-dimensional and contributes to his team in many ways, I especially see this useful in the playoffs.

The only knock on him I guess I see in him is he's quite perimeter-focused. He still goes to the net many times tho, and certainly is not soft so it should be ok.

Worth to mention is Fantilli, Zegras, McTavish, Lundestrom are all lefties. Terry, Gaucher are righties

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
This was supposedly his "bad tournament". He is quite multi-dimensional and contributes to his team in many ways, I especially see this useful in the playoffs.

The only knock on him I guess I see in him is he's quite perimeter-focused. He still goes to the net many times tho, and certainly is not soft so it should be ok.

Worth to mention is Fantilli, Zegras, McTavish, Lundestrom are all lefties. Terry, Gaucher are righties

People rag on him for that tournament because he wasn't putting up crazy numbers like Bedard, but he had his role and he executed it perfectly, and his point totals were decent for a draft-eligible player with 5 points in 7 games, for perspective MacKinnon had 1 point in 6 games at the WJC in his draft year and he turned out alright, I try not to put to much weight on a tournament performance or two that's how you end up like the Habs drafting Slafkovsky 1st overall.

LePerilsofPerreault

Mar 20, 2022
Tryna get away, man

I think they had him on wing and limited minutes too they might’ve mentioned it in that video actually

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think they had him on wing and limited minutes too they might’ve mentioned it in that video actually
Well, there's a reason why Bedard got those minutes tho :laugh: but that tournament is nothing to be ashamed for, I think he was amazing there. As @goonsaredumb mentioned, he executed his role perfectly. He was a bit snakebitten tbh, missed on opportunities he'd have burried in the NCAA

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
alright I have to ask the more knowledgable posters on this..

what are the chances we get Byfielded with Fantilli?
Byfield was dominating physically in juniors against a bunch of players his age and younger.

Fantilli won the Hobey Baker as a freshman, playing in a tough conference, where he was younger and less developed physically than most of the guys he was playing against.

There's no comparison between the two situations really. Byfield is more comparable to Lafreniere or someone like that.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Byfield was dominating physically in juniors against a bunch of players his age and younger.

Fantilli won the Hobey Baker as a freshman, playing in a tough conference, where he was younger and less developed physically than most of the guys he was playing against.

There's no comparison between the two situations really. Byfield is more comparable to Lafreniere or someone like that.
Well put. I don't see the scenario repeating at all and I was among the ones cautious about Byfield's potential.
I think Fantilli has some limitations offensively eventually in the way he shoots/scores but he is working his ass off and has proven to beat opposing players with more attributes than just size/skating (which are still awesome).

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
This video is really interesting. It's 1 year old, looking at his USHL year (in Chicago, lol). He plays a bit differently here, seems to be less-perimeter, it's a great analysis as always from Elite Prospects. Also mentions his shortcomings at that time.
Overall, I think he showed all he could show in the NCAA, time to go Pro and start adjusting his game for that:

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I’ll be fine with either Fantilli or Carlsson. Stylistically, Fantilli would seem like the best fit, but I don‘t like the a little more common reservations about his decision-making / play precessing abilities and how that could hold him back from hitting offensive ceiling. World Cup should be interesting, and I’m glad our scouts get to make the call between them.

Reactions: Mr Rogers and Kalv

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
This video is really interesting. It's 1 year old, looking at his USHL year (in Chicago, lol). He plays a bit differently here, seems to be less-perimeter, it's a great analysis as always from Elite Prospects. Also mentions his shortcomings at that time.
Overall, I think he showed all he could show in the NCAA, time to go Pro and start adjusting his game for that:

Stuff like this about Fantilli is why i'm actually thrilled the Ducks get to pick 2nd and not 3rd. I never thought they had a chance at #1 and i kept saying how Chicago was gonna win it lol.
One thought i had is that since the last 2 last place teams got to pick first, it wasn't gonna happen 3 times in a row but i wanted the guarentee they pick top3 and not get micky moused out of a top 3 pick and up 5th.

Reactions: Kalv

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m over being F’d again. Lets focus on this pick which is going to net us a franchise potential player. Thanks @Rasp for the poll.

The WC is going to be very interesting for us to watch, Literally have the consensus 2nd and 3rdOA, and does Carlsson overtake Fantilli? Going to be fun to watch this tournament.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I’m over being F’d again. Lets focus on this pick which is going to net us a franchise potential player. Thanks @Rasp for the poll.

The WC is going to be very interesting for us to watch, Literally have the consensus 2nd and 3rdOA, and does Carlsson overtake Fantilli? Going to be fun to watch this tournament.
Gotta remember that the big ice and IIHF rules should favor Carlsson in this case, but it shouldn't be too big of a difference. Fantill might actually showcase his speed...

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gotta remember that the big ice and IIHF rules should favor Carlsson in this case, but it shouldn't be too big of a difference. Fantill might actually showcase his speed...

Fantilli has the size and speed, and I think is a better all around player, but Carlsson I think has higher offensive potential. But we need guys who can play defense, be physical, protect the puck, knock guys off the puck, and etc. I think Fantilli has that whole package.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Can we unlock the draft thread and move draft discussion back there?

Or make this the part 2.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Fantilli has the size and speed, and I think is a better all around player, but Carlsson I think has higher offensive potential. But we need guys who can play defense, be physical, protect the puck, knock guys off the puck, and etc. I think Fantilli has that whole package.
Given what Verbeek has said and done, he loves well-rounded players so I'm thinking he will go with Fantilli. Carlsson is not bad :) But Fantilli has the speed and mean-streak you just cannot teach. Will be interesting to see. Partially reminds me of Matthews-Laine pre-draft, they both went to the WC and both kicked ass there tho. Will see how these two does.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Given what Verbeek has said and done, he loves well-rounded players so I'm thinking he will go with Fantilli. Carlsson is not bad :) But Fantilli has the speed and mean-streak you just cannot teach. Will be interesting to see. Partially reminds me of Matthews-Laine pre-draft, they both went to the WC and both kicked ass there tho. Will see how these two does.

Yeah, I think Fantilli has the full package, and fits something we are lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad