Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I do think the direction of the game... and physicality within the game certainlly makes having a smallish defensive plausible.... mobility seems to be 1 of the bigger priorities on the back end nowadays.
I don’t think it’s that simple or that physicality is ever going away, but even if it kind of was size is about a lot more that physical play. It’s why I think the lines about taller defensemen playing like they’re small is flawed. Sure, they might not be as physical but their size and really height alone is a pretty understated advantage.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

No one noticed he went with the classic for his attempt at best celly.
winnipeg-jets-go-jets-go.gif

Reactions: lwvs84

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't see now as the best time to trade Drysdale. He gets trade value from being a bit of a mystery box but I'm of the belief the Ducks could get more for him if he got a season to prove his worth. Just me.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Drysdale has tremendous upside, I wouldn't even consider trading him yet. Especially coming back from LTIR and a lost season of development when his value is low.

TBH Im not a fan of trading ELC players or prospects at all. The scouting staff picks these guys out of hundreds of other players for a reason. The best thing to do is let them develop. A concept our last GM didn't seem to comprehend.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
A tanking team doesn't mean you have to be the softest. Hope that helps
If you believe toughness is a key to success, adding toughness is counterproductive to tanking. PV might see toughness as either irrelevant or important to success, based on literally everything about him and his VV identity as a player, it’s pretty obvious which is more likely.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
If you believe toughness is a key to success, adding toughness is counterproductive to tanking. PV might see toughness as either irrelevant or important to success, based on literally everything about him and his VV identity as a player, it’s pretty obvious which is more likely.
Well, I’m not in the cement head needed category, but when you are developing so much young talent, I’d really like to see some guys that you don’t mess with. I thought Des was great at his role and though limited, could play a little.

Some of our past “enforcers” were dead wood, but we can’t have a Terry situation go un answered.

Even in the ahl, there are a good number of guys who have no nhl chance who play more than on edge

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Drysdale has tremendous upside, I wouldn't even consider trading him yet. Especially coming back from LTIR and a lost season of development when his value is low.

TBH Im not a fan of trading ELC players or prospects at all. The scouting staff picks these guys out of hundreds of other players for a reason. The best thing to do is let them develop. A concept our last GM didn't seem to comprehend.

The idea that the ducks should trade Drysdale now at all - let alone for the 8th pick in the current draft - is absurd. Particularly because it is being proposed at least in part because of Zell and the other prospects who are viewed as not complimentary. The ducks have literally no idea which of the very promising d prospects they have (none of whom have even played in the NHL) will pan out - let alone if the 8th pick in the draft will be a good player. To be clear, I don't think LaCombe or Hellison or bad - but I don't think either is elite or will be as good as Dry.

Drysdale's floor is a top 4 smooth skating d-man (Fowler 2.0). He has considerable upside beyond that - potentially a no. 1 guy. You don't trade a player like that now because you have a POTENTIAL log jam arriving in a few years. You let things play out and see who develops, then decide who you want to keep.

And FWIW, if the ducks feel they're lacking in size going forward (they clearly do now), then you can also add by trade or UFA without trading a top prospect. Ducks have plenty of time to let this sort itself out and should take full advantage of that time.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Feels like trading drysdale would be like history repeating itself with Theodore, montour being traded etc. we would get the pleasure of him bloom into a great d elsewhere.

We absolutely need to add sandpaper to the roster but let’s not forget that what many of us probably consider the pinnacle of our d core over the last decade contained Fowler, Theodore, vatanen and montour who are all varying degrees of soft/short.

We just need to be diligent about the kind of players we are bringing in to complete the roster.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Yeah Fantill is gonna be good. Last time the Ducks drafted a canadian boy who won the Hobey Baker things went well (Kariya) ;)
After Fantilli, we just need to draft some wingers in the 2024 draft and #33 pick in 2023.
I am thinking they pick around 8 to 12 in 2024. The benifet of having Fantilli + maturing from Zegras, McTavish, Terry and possibly rookie debuts from Mintyukov or Zellweger and possibly Hinds and Drysdale coming back should make them better team over last season.
With Fantilli they gain better winger depth if Zegras moves to the wing or if Fantilli's first year is on the wing. Bumping Silf down to 4th line is a upgrade to 3rd line as well.

With SJ and Chicago trending downward more than Anaheim they will be worse than the Ducks for sure, especially if SJ finds a way to trade Karlsson and i think it might happen.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
One wonders how long the careers of Drysdale and Zellweger will be with the Ducks.

It's possible that Verbeek is trying to balance the future when it comes to forwards. With defensemen, the org has done well collecting varying defensemen so they can have as close to a traditional d-pairing of OFD with a DFD. (OFD = off d-men, DFD = def d-men/stay at home d, 2WD = two-way D)

Rd 2. 6'2 LD/RD LaCombe​
Rd 2. 6'3 RD Helleson (via trade by GM Verbeek)​
Rd 4. 6'2 LD Thrun​
Rd 6. 6'5 RD Francis​

Rd 1. 5'11 RD Drysdale​
Rd 3. 6'3 RD Moore​
Rd 4. 6'2 RD Nickl​

Rd 2. 5'10 LD/RD Zellweger​
Rd 3. 6'3 LD/RD Hinds​

2022 (Verbeek as GM)
Rd 1. 6'1 LD Mintyukov​
Rd 2. 6'5 RD Warren​
Rd 2. 6'1 RD Luneau​

I do hope Verbeek puts our prospects in a position to succeed. Drysdale and Zellweger can skate like the wind, but they should be paired with bigger DFD/2WD. For example, pairing Drysdale with Lindholm makes a lot of sense, but pairing Drysdale with Fowler isn't as great pairing b/c both Fowler and Drysdale are OFD. We have enough prospects to pair bigger DFD/2WD with Drysdale and Zell to not only maximize their offense, but also cover some of their defense.

The problem with last year's d-men acquisitions was there was no sense of balance with Klingberg and Kulikov. Neither have traits as defense as their strengths, but Verbeek jettisoned physical, shutdown d-men.

Bringing this back to Verbeek's preference to taller, physical forwards, these forwards can help mask the defense. See the Florida Panthers. Their forwards control the puck in the OZ often and their defense are able to contain the puck in the offensive zone. Both D Monty and D Mahura are OFD as well as only 6' d-men.

Verbeek doesn't shy away from smaller players, but that smaller player has to be NHL established and fit the vision Verbeek wants. Hence, the acquisition of 5'10 F Vatrano.

Last edited:

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I can see us moving McT to wing with Fantilli arriving.

I think due to the way they play Terry and Zegras fit quite well. And I think McT could do well on Fantillis wing. Mindset seems to be very similar, which is awesome. Maybe Olen will play wing as well :)

And I can really see some sort of:

Lundy - Fantilli - McT
Terry - Zegras - Jones

For some reasons I have high hopes regarding Perrault.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I can see us moving McT to wing with Fantilli arriving.

I think due to the way they play Terry and Zegras fit quite well. And I think McT could do well on Fantillis wing. Mindset seems to be very similar, which is awesome. Maybe Olen will play wing as well :)

And I can really see some sort of:

Lundy - Fantilli - McT
Terry - Zegras - Jones

For some reasons I have high hopes regarding Perrault.

I think Mac's skill level is far more advanced than Fantilli's as a centerman. What Fantilli has over McTavish today is speed, speed, and more speed.

If Zegras doesn't develop that 200 ft game at center, then Zegras is the one going to wing. We need strength down the middle and Zegras might be our weakest link. It's a good thing that Zegras can still be productive at wing like he was at the WJC-20 with Turcotte centering him.

I don't know if the org wants to rush Fantilli as a centerman next year at the NHL level. Maybe Fantilli can play center at the AHL level. If Zegras does develop that 200-foot game, then does Fantilli sniff being a centerman?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
We're giving you our overpaid soon-to-be UFA because why wouldn't you want to improve your team right away while giving up only the 2nd overall
I hadn't checked the trade boards in a while until I read this thread. The New Jersey one cracked me up hard.

Reactions: Kalv

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Lmaoo you don't trade Drysdale. Give the dude a chance with a different coach and system
Just to provide the proper context...no one was talking about trading Drysdale this summer or anytime soon. The discussion started by simply pointing out that having Drysdale and Zellweger in a future top 4 situation would be extremely uncommon amongst teams that have had SC playoff success. Unless, of course, one of the two develops into a Makar level player.

Reactions: Kalv
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Just to provide the proper context...no one was talking about trading Drysdale this summer or anytime soon. The discussion started by simply pointing out that having Drysdale and Zellweger in a future top 4 situation would be extremely uncommon amongst teams that have had SC playoff success. Unless, of course, one of the two develops into a Makar level player.
Well one person was, they literally suggested trading Drysdale for a pick in this draft. But either way, it is just one person saying this so there’s no need by anyone to think it’s a whole movement.

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad