Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Both Oiler and Kings fans see Fantilli as the one they don't want to face on the Ducks.
They all seem to believe he's the best player at #2, from their perspective yeah you definitely don't want Anaheim getting a guy who can take over a game with his speed, hard shot, motor, skills, compete level, size. They don't want to be facing a guy who's like a mix of MacKinnon & Tkatchuk.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This interview makes me feel he is looking to start in the NHL next season…

Wanted to learn to play with adults, and on a higher level. I just don’t see him going back to college. This is just my opinion of course. I see him going the Eichel path into the NHL. Doesn‘t look out of place, could have easily put up double the amount of points based on his play. I just don‘t see what the college level can do for him anymore. Unless it’s his choice then forgot everything I just said. Lol.

I think when Verbeek interviews him pre-draft, that is going to be a critical question, and a path right to NHL may be the plan. We shall see.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
This interview makes me feel he is looking to start in the NHL next season…

Wanted to learn to play with adults, and on a higher level. I just don’t see him going back to college. This is just my opinion of course. I see him going the Eichel path into the NHL. Doesn‘t look out of place, could have easily put up double the amount of points based on his play. I just don‘t see what the college level can do for him anymore. Unless it’s his choice then forgot everything I just said. Lol.

I think when Verbeek interviews him pre-draft, that is going to be a critical question, and a path right to NHL may be the plan. We shall see.

Genuinely curious, when was the last time a 1st round draft caliber player won the Hobey Baker and returned to play in college?

I haven’t done any research but I would think that would be extremely rare and that’s not even taking his pro-ready size into account.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Genuinely curious, when was the last time a 1st round draft caliber player won the Hobey Baker and returned to play in college?

I haven’t done any research but I would think that would be extremely rare and that’s not even taking his pro-ready size into account.

Not sure but it’s why I bring up Eichel. Both of them won the Hobey Baker, played in the WC before the draft, and both are pretty big kids as well.

If he is going to go to SD for like a 20 game stint sorta like what Z did then join the Ducks later, can see that happening. But there is nothing more the college level can do for him.

All I know is, if we do draft him, lock him up immediately. Don’t wait.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

The last Hobey Baker winner who didn't turn pro the next season - Ryan Duncan in 2006/07. A 5'6 forward who won in his sophomore year and then played his two remaining seasons (never coming close to the same numbers).

Two years prior, Marty Sertich won as a junior and then returned for his senior season, but again an undersized undrafted guy.

Ryan Miller won as a sophomore in 2000-01 and played one more college season before turning pro. But of course that's a goalie drafted 5th round and not a top prospect.

For the only real answer to your question, we have to go back 30 years to our own Paul Kariya. Won the Hobey Baker as a freshman in 1992-93 and was selected 4th overall by the Ducks. He then returned to play a few games back in college the next year before joining the Canadian national program.

Those are the only four HB winners in 30 years to not turn pro the next year. Hasn't happened with an early draft pick since Kariya. Though obviously the majority of winners are seniors.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
The last Hobey Baker winner who didn't turn pro the next season - Ryan Duncan in 2006/07. A 5'6 forward who won in his sophomore year and then played his two remaining seasons (never coming close to the same numbers).

Two years prior, Marty Sertich won as a junior and then returned for his senior season, but again an undersized undrafted guy.

Ryan Miller won as a sophomore in 2000-01 and played one more college season before turning pro. But of course that's a goalie drafted 5th round and not a top prospect.

For the only real answer to your question, we have to go back 30 years to our own Paul Kariya. Won the Hobey Baker as a freshman in 1992-93 and was selected 4th overall by the Ducks. He then returned to play a few games back in college the next year before joining the Canadian national program.

Those are the only four HB winners in 30 years to not turn pro the next year. Hasn't happened with an early draft pick since Kariya. Though obviously the majority of winners are seniors.

Thanks for that, so it would be almost unheard of for him to go back. Especially for his size and draft position. That tracks with what I expected, why would a top draft pick who was already named the best player in college go back for another season, especially since he’s not undersized.

For Karyia, did he not play in the NHL because of s lockout or something?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Ducks like late risers, but lardis might not be there at 33.

He might be able to fit the height requirement of Verbeek, though. We didn't draft small last draft. Verbeek passed up on offensive players in Grimaldi (FA) and Tolvanen (waivers) for bigger players like Leason (waivers) and Megna (waivers).

I'm not sure about Verbeek's tendencies about late risers. If we applied that to last year's draft, then Kulich would have been the draft pick. Central Scouting's midterm ranking of Kulich was 22nd and the final ranking was 13th. And if Verbeek was more focused on scoring, then Snuggerud would have been that player.

2022 Forward selections
Rd 1, 22nd OA: 6'3 C Gaucher (Safe pick)​
Rd 4. : 6'3 C King (double overager, big, high scorer, and can't skate... not a gamble pick)​
Rd 5. : 6'2 LW Hvidston (first gamble on a forward prospect, Sept baby)​
Rd 6. : 6'4 RW Callow (project goal scoring PF going NCAA route)​

Also, I guess 6' LW Tracey and 6' Perreault (guess he grew an inch since he was draft) having minor setbacks last season in San Diego doesn't help with the smaller players preference.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I think people are reading wayyy to much into height as being a huge factor for verbeek, based one one draft. Pat himself is like 5’9”.

I think Pat values strength, toughness, grit, complete (overall being tough to play against), much more than height alone.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Thanks for that, so it would be almost unheard of for him to go back. Especially for his size and draft position. That tracks with what I expected, why would a top draft pick who was already named the best player in college go back for another season, especially since he’s not undersized.

For Karyia, did he not play in the NHL because of s lockout or something?
The Olympics, that was before NHL players went so it was probably viewed as a potential once in a lifetime opportunity.

I also don’t think this is any kind of worry. According to Scott Wheeler(I think) Michigan doesn’t think he’ll be back and that’s usually a pretty big indicator.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I think people are reading wayyy to much into height as being a huge factor for verbeek, based one one draft. Pat himself is like 5’9”.

I think Pat values strength, toughness, grit, complete (overall being tough to play against), much more than height alone.
Maybe, but it’s a fairly compelling look at things. The next young player he adds to the organization that’s under 6’1 or shorter will be his first, and I say adds because it holds true for all the prospects he’s traded for too. Which isn’t to say it won’t happen, it inevitably will, but it sure looks like a trend.

And honestly I don’t think Verbeek’s own stature is relevant. I thought it might, and for some it definitely might, but it’s also just as possible he understands as good as anyone the advantages that size comes with, which might very well explain this trend. Hell, in general it seems most former players don’t make moves as GM that really reflect their playing career.

Reactions: Beckett

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Maybe, but it’s a fairly compelling look at things. The next young player he adds to the organization that’s under 6’1 or shorter will be his first, and I say adds because it holds true for all the prospects he’s traded for too. Which isn’t to say it won’t happen, it inevitably will, but it sure looks like a trend.

And honestly I don’t think Verbeek’s own stature is relevant. I thought it might, and for some it definitely might, but it’s also just as possible he understands as good as anyone the advantages that size comes with, which might very well explain this trend. Hell, in general it seems most former players don’t make moves as GM that really reflect their playing career.
One wonders how long the careers of Drysdale and Zellweger will be with the Ducks.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Interesting idea. With PV at the helm I don't see any way that both Drysdale and Zellweger will be in the lineup.
I prob agree its tough to see both in the line up.... honestly with any GM... not even just PV.

Off the top of my head i cant recall very many d cores, that have 2 smallish players.

Makar + Girard is the obvious 1....

Makar and Drysdale(at least on nhl.com are both 5'11), i feel like that is prob pretty generous for drysdale.

Girard is listed at 5'10, zellweger 5'9.

And this is all before you add in fowler... who isnt under 6 feet tall... but he plays like hes 5'4

Still have to wait a bit tho... i think its too early to move drysdale(personally i think he still has a lot to show).... and zellweger you cant move until you start to see what he brings at nhl level.

Hypothetically in 3 years

Mintyukov 6'3 Drysdale 5'11
Hinds 6'3 Luneau 6'2
Zellweger 5'9 Helleson 6'3
Lacombe 6'2 Warren 6'5

Doesnt look as bad, once you move on from guys like fowler imo

Reactions: lwvs84 and tomd

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I prob agree its tough to see both in the line up.... honestly with any GM... not even just PV.

Off the top of my head i cant recall very many d cores, that have 2 smallish players.

Makar and Drysdale(at least on nhl.com are both 5'11), i feel like that is prob pretty generous for drysdale.

And this is all before you add in fowler... who isnt under 6 feet tall... but he plays like hes 5'4
If nothing else, PV has a couple of good trade chips to work with.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
One wonders how long the careers of Drysdale and Zellweger will be with the Ducks.
That might be getting too far ahead of ourselves, it’s quite possible the push for size among prospects was because of the core prospects Verbeek inherited all being kind of small and not because of his general worldview. At the same time, though, regardless of that it’s probably fair to ponder if those two as a third of your defense can be part of a winning formula. I’m a bit skeptical, myself.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Still have to wait a bit tho... i think its too early to move drysdale(personally i think he still has a lot to show).... and zellweger you cant move until you start to see what he brings at nhl level.

Hypothetically in 3 years

Mintyukov 6'3 Drysdale 5'11
Hinds 6'3 Luneau 6'2
Zellweger 5'9 Helleson 6'3
Lacombe 6'2 Warren 6'5

Doesnt look as bad, once you move on from guys like fowler imo
Minnesota was pretty small, especially their right side pre-Klingberg and Faber, but Spurgeon is a unicorn and their whole system is pretty great(and still got them nowhere).

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Minnesota was pretty small, especially their right side pre-Klingberg and Faber, but Spurgeon is a unicorn and their whole system is pretty great(and still got them nowhere).
I do think the direction of the game... and physicality within the game certainlly makes having a smallish defensive plausible.... mobility seems to be 1 of the bigger priorities on the back end nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad