Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
WJC-202023
DateTypeOppPlayerGAPtsPlus minus
5-Jan​
FinalCzechiaBedard
0​
0​
0​
0​
Fantilli
0​
0​
0​
-1​
2-Jan​
QuarterfinalsSlovakiaBedard
2​
1​
3​
1​
Fantilli
0​
0​
0​
0​

I added links to the game stats for you. I have no idea what you're talking about that Fantilli scored as many points as Bedard in the quarterfinals and finals. I quadruple checked and what you're sharing isn't matching with the stats. In the quarterfinals, Bedard scored the OT winner.

At the WJC, you identified that Bedard feasted on weak teams, but why didn't Fantilli also feasted on weaker teams?

Bedard: 7 games, 23 points, and +14 rating​
Fantilli: 7 games, 5 points, and +0 rating​

Explosive scoring is a significant factor why Fantilli is most people's #2 pick. Identifying Fantilli's explosive offense gets stunted against tougher competition should give a pause for concern and makes one wonder why that is so. My best guess of the flaw is that his compete level scores more than his skill level, which one scout identified. But please don't redirect his stunted offense discussion with his other traits b/c no one's arguing that. Remember, you identified his flaw extends to his WJC-18 tourney. When does consistently being snake bitten become a flaw?

Even with this flaw, Fantilli will still be a great addition to the Ducks because of the other elements he brings such as compete level, elite skating, violent hitter, tenacious puck hound, and a good shot. Anaheim does have other scorers who can take up the mantle against tougher competition whenever they start participating in the playoffs. It's because the Ducks already have Terry, Zegras, and McTavish that Fantilli's flaw isn't detrimental if Fantilli can't improve upon it.
I said semis+final, not quarters+final.

Which ofc is cherry-picking a bit anyways

mighty Stanley Duck

Feb 1, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
One of Leo's shortcomings (at least i read about it) is shot accuracy and sometimes lacks shoulder on shoulder game in own zone...if our scouting department thinks thats fixable, i would pick him.
I know majority wants Fantili and i think he also would be great, i'm weak on Carlsson type of players. His transitional game, confidence with a puck bought me.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
One of Leo's shortcomings (at least i read about it) is shot accuracy and sometimes lacks shoulder on shoulder game in own zone...if our scouting department thinks thats fixable, i would pick him.
I know majority wants Fantili and i think he also would be great, i'm weak on Carlsson type of players. His transitional game, confidence with a puck bought me.
Its fixable. He's a project in that he needs to work on that shot and skating acceleration because his top speed is very good from what i saw in the SHL playoffs. As @Kalv pointed out before he was flying on the ice in SHL playoffs.

I hope he doesn't end up on SJ because Columbus supposely really likes Smith and their GM Jarmo is Finnish so he might have bias against Swedes lol.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Find a way to trade up to 3 and take then both. Problem solved.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Going to have to DVR that Canada vs Latvia game tomorrow, I posted before, it‘s 10am PT/1pm ET on NHL network. (If you get it)

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think it's likely he is on the Ducks roster next season after reading that, but it's not 100%. Like Eichel before him, has nothing more to prove on the college level. We'll see what happens.

Favorite line of the article though...

Whatever you do, don’t call him a consolation prize. Fantilli will be a franchise-changer, just like his good pal Connor.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
The Leafs won’t let that happen. If he doesn’t sign this summer they’ll trade him. Maybe he will work with them like Tkachuk did but maybe not.

I could see him wanting to go to LA. He’s a Hollywood kind of guy and that’s barely a one hour flight to Scottsdale.
LA makes sense, but they’d have to move some salary to make it work.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Originally I voted for Michkov, but after watched more extended reviews on everyone, I switched to Fanitilli. Youtube NHL Draft Pros takes pretty comprehensive look at all of them. Fantilli has the most complete game by far.

He may not be as stellar as Michkov offensively or a big/physical as Carlson, but he is a 200 foot player, and seems to have great speed, but more importantly insane compete level. He may not be 40 goal scorer, but I see a little bit of Ryan Kesler in him. People will hate to play against him.

I would also love to see how his speed pairs with Zegras and another 2 way forward who can keep up with them. Maybe Henrique starts as the center for year 1 then Fantilli slowly takes over responsibility over the year.

Then I would put MacTavish with Terry with either Strome or Vatrano. Lundy Jones and the remainder make our 3rd line.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I can honestly say that I hope the kings get Matthews

No one is winning a cup with him making 14+ million. And frankly it would take a miracle to even come close

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I can honestly say that I hope the kings get Matthews

No one is winning a cup with him making 14+ million. And frankly it would take a miracle to even come close

If the cap goes up as much as expected in the next few years 14 mil will be right on par percentage wise with his current contract. It's expected to go up 10 mil in the next 3 seasons.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
If the cap goes up as much as expected in the next few years 14 mil will be right on par percentage wise with his current contract. It's expected to go up 10 mil in the next 3 seasons.
They’ve been saying this for like 6-7 years now. We will have to see if there’s a recession or not before teams should be making grand plans of that nature.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I thought it was a little interesting how Pat said there were some scenarios that could unfold before the draft. He could be talking about the Worlds coming up but also a trade even. I wonder if he'd ever entertain trading down with Columbus, just not sure what they really have to give.
What if PV felt Carlsson and Fantili were basically even. He could trade down to 3 for a 2nd round pick which is at the top of the 2nd. Just a scenario if pv thinks they are the same but Columbus sees Fantili as much better than Carlsson.

LePerilsofPerreault

Mar 20, 2022
Tryna get away, man
What if PV felt Carlsson and Fantili were basically even. He could trade down to 3 for a 2nd round pick which is at the top of the 2nd. Just a scenario if pv thinks they are the same but Columbus sees Fantili as much better than Carlsson.
I’d rather take Fantilli, but if that’s what the staff feels then for sure try to get an asset.

I’d be interested in their other Pick, Dumais, Marchenko or Boqvist

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Personally, I'm going to hold off on deciding who I'd prefer until I've seen them in the WCs if I can manage to be awake when those games are played. Right now my inclination is Fantilli but I wanna see both guys playing against men. (OFC they're playing at the same time while I'm at work.)

And there's always this annoying voice in the back of my head whispering "but what if Michkov really does end up being Bedard level?"

The lottery did nothing to quell the wondering.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Yes, but...PV made it pretty clear it was a big deal to him to get #2 so they could pick their guy and not be left without the choice. For all the talk of due diligence and the like, I have a feeling he knows who he wants, short of some serious issue popping up between now and then.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
All good points, and while the WC will add some extra viewing and evaluation, I hope how someone plays over the span of 2 weeks doesn't negate a year's worth of scouting.

Reactions: HanSolo

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Personally, I'm going to hold off on deciding who I'd prefer until I've seen them in the WCs if I can manage to be awake when those games are played. Right now my inclination is Fantilli but I wanna see both guys playing against men. (OFC they're playing at the same time while I'm at work.)

And there's always this annoying voice in the back of my head whispering "but what if Michkov really does end up being Bedard level?"

The lottery did nothing to quell the wondering.

It’s made the WC more interesting for Ducks fans to tune in now, with Fantilli/Carlsson. Just not sure if it’s enough of a sample to change their positions in the draft.

Reactions: ADHB
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
It’s made the WC more interesting for Ducks fans to tune in now, with Fantilli/Carlsson. Just not sure if it’s enough of a sample to change their positions in the draft.

I don’t think the World Championships make that much of a difference. I would think these guys have been heavily scouted all year - even moreso towards the end of our horrid season.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t think the World Championships make that much of a difference. I think these guys have been heavily scouted all year - even moreso towards the end of our horrid season

I agree I think this will just be an opportunity for fans to see what we can potentially get. Verbeek and co, may have likely already made up their mind, I dunno.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
For most? No. But I'm a big fan of the way Carlsson plays. I'm just not sold that his game will translate (and by that I mean to a franchise level superstar). Someone like Fantilli has some development hurdles to adapt to the NHL but his physical tools and play style are wayyyy better suited for today's NHL. But on the other hand, Carlsson seems to be a much more cerebral player. Fantilli is high octane always moving and always going so sometimes his plays with the puck aren't the best. Carlsson slows the game down for himself and seems to more deliberately analyze the on ice situation better.

I don't have full SHL games to watch him in depth and my concern with Carlsson is I felt the same way about Cody Glass and admittedly, Glass wasn't handled well by Vegas' development team. But he was that cerebral and more cautious type and it's been a struggle for him to adapt, especially given that his skating isn't the best. Carlsson will have to adapt his game to a higher pace and a smaller rink.

So for me, my inclination is more towards Fantilli but I see that there's high value in Carlsson too and it's pretty close. So a small sample of the WCs isn't dispositive but with more NHLers playing it can lend some sense as to how Carlsson might handle himself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad