Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
And Tkachuk went to the reigning, at the time, President’s trophy winner.

I think Matthews gives serious consideration to letting his current contract run its course and go where he wants.

One of our sons, who lives in Arizona, is hoping he wants to come home.

John
The Leafs won’t let that happen. If he doesn’t sign this summer they’ll trade him. Maybe he will work with them like Tkachuk did but maybe not.

I could see him wanting to go to LA. He’s a Hollywood kind of guy and that’s barely a one hour flight to Scottsdale.

Reactions: McDonald19
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Yeah, that's kinda what I see. There's no way they don't waste Bedard's ELC years. And even though they will be able to pay him his $15M or whatever, they still won't have anything resembling a good supporting cast. The reality is that they are in a much better position to go with Michkov based on the timing, but of course that won't happen (and I wouldn't do that if I were them either). That would have given them time to start building a core before they had to pay Michkov big money. Now they are in a huge panic situation where they have to move "muy pronto". Good luck thinking that will work out well. This ain't the NBA.

Given what Tkachuk pulled in Calgary it will be interesting to see what Matthews does this summer especially if the leafs fizzle out again. Which then makes one wonder if Bedard sees the same opportunity for an early out in Chicago. Oh my. Glad I'm not a Hawks fan.
Yeah are expecting something similar to McDavid, Crosby or maybe even Matthews in terms of how those early years go but I think Ovechkin is probably the path it emulates the most. Which still isn’t horrible and they can potentially learn from those mistakes but it’ll definitely depend on how patient Bedard is.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
For reals or joking? I did whole write up on some page either about the sens or Stutzle. The intention was to go through every draft and see if the NHL has height bias that leads to elite talent getting passed on for larger "high upside" players. I had to stop after 4 drafts because it is evident that the NHL reaches on height.

I think strength matters, but drafted children don't normally have much anyway. I think the mind matters most.

During covid I was blown away enough by what Stutzle had going I made an account on this site to advocate he go higher, as his mind and talent were very special.

As amazed as I was and still am by Tim Stutzle, I can honestly say Michkov is head and shoulders better as a prospect, and will be better in the NHL than Tim. I am not certain Fantilli or Carlsson will. As talented as Stützle was/is, Michkov is a very different animal. In a lot of ways similar. Both have and had elite physical talent and special minds. But, as a prospect, Michkov is like every great thing about Stutzle on steroids. The physical talent is absurd. It looks like Michkov was born both on the ice and with a Hockey stick limb. He makes difficult stick skills look as easy and natural as drinking a glass of water. His Hockey IQ is genius level.

I did not post here to advocate the ducks take Michkov like I tried to advocate Stützle go higher. I posted here because Ducks fans seemed bummed they missed out on Bedard. Secretly though(not actually a secret) there is a player of the same caliber still on the board. Taking Michkov at 2, waiting 3 years, collecting more high picks and drafting more top level talent in that time span, could build this franchise into a dynasty. That is an option. Or take Fantilli/Carlsson and improve sooner and also be very good. Whatever floats your boats? But if you want special, like truly special, it is still on the board if you are down to wait for it
I mean, size absolutely matters. Maybe not as much as some people believe it does but now I think the pendulum has swung too far the other way where people legitimately don’t think it accounts for anything at all.

Stutzle is also a weird comp. He’s not big but I don’t think anyone called him small, either.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Stutzle's scouting reports remind me more of Carlsson. Playmaking center who should probably shoot more than he doe, with good defensive zone instincts. And he was listed at 6-1 in some pre-draft reports, not exactly small.

Michkov is reportedly good at exactly one thing: creating goals for himself. He tunnel visions on offense and is disinterested in backchecking and defense.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1683765353981.png

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
The Leafs won’t let that happen. If he doesn’t sign this summer they’ll trade him. Maybe he will work with them like Tkachuk did but maybe not.

I could see him wanting to go to LA. He’s a Hollywood kind of guy and that’s barely a one hour flight to Scottsdale.
I think he has a 2023-2024 NMC.

Does that kick-in when free agency starts?

John

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think he has a 2023-2024 NMC.

Does that kick-in when free agency starts?

John
I don’t think those kick in until you become UFA eligible. Pretty sure they can trade him anywhere. But it might well be to their advantage to trade him where he will sign the extension like Tkachuk did in order to get a better return.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
That just sounds like a word salad that translated says, after they do their homework they’ll probably take Fantilli, but there’s always an outside chance they won’t.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Too lazy to dig it up but in one of those 1000 videos I've seen past 2 days, some people were speaking highly of Fantilli in the NCAA crunch games. Despite scoring LESS than usual, he did other things like taking care of opponents' best players, winning faceoffs, etc. I did not see those games tho so I have no idea :laugh: But I trust those sources whom I don't even know who were, at this point :laugh:

Regarding WJC: Fantilli scored as many points as Bedard in the semis + final... He sure didn't capitalize with 6-point games vs weak teams in the group stage like Bedard (who in no doubt still is a better prospect).

I agree that too many times being snakebitten starts to become a trend, but his snakebitten is not like snakebitten for a casual player. Because he's so versatile and does more than just scoring. That's why I'm so optimistic about him.

WJC-202023
DateTypeOppPlayerGAPtsPlus minus
5-Jan​
FinalCzechiaBedard
0​
0​
0​
0​
Fantilli
0​
0​
0​
-1​
2-Jan​
QuarterfinalsSlovakiaBedard
2​
1​
3​
1​
Fantilli
0​
0​
0​
0​

I added links to the game stats for you. I have no idea what you're talking about that Fantilli scored as many points as Bedard in the quarterfinals and finals. I quadruple checked and what you're sharing isn't matching with the stats. In the quarterfinals, Bedard scored the OT winner.

At the WJC, you identified that Bedard feasted on weak teams, but why didn't Fantilli also feasted on weaker teams?

Bedard: 7 games, 23 points, and +14 rating​
Fantilli: 7 games, 5 points, and +0 rating​

Explosive scoring is a significant factor why Fantilli is most people's #2 pick. Identifying Fantilli's explosive offense gets stunted against tougher competition should give a pause for concern and makes one wonder why that is so. My best guess of the flaw is that his compete level scores more than his skill level, which one scout identified. But please don't redirect his stunted offense discussion with his other traits b/c no one's arguing that. Remember, you identified his flaw extends to his WJC-18 tourney. When does consistently being snake bitten become a flaw?

Even with this flaw, Fantilli will still be a great addition to the Ducks because of the other elements he brings such as compete level, elite skating, violent hitter, tenacious puck hound, and a good shot. Anaheim does have other scorers who can take up the mantle against tougher competition whenever they start participating in the playoffs. It's because the Ducks already have Terry, Zegras, and McTavish that Fantilli's flaw isn't detrimental if Fantilli can't improve upon it.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
For reals or joking? I did whole write up on some page either about the sens or Stutzle. The intention was to go through every draft and see if the NHL has height bias that leads to elite talent getting passed on for larger "high upside" players. I had to stop after 4 drafts because it is evident that the NHL reaches on height.

I think strength matters, but drafted children don't normally have much anyway. I think the mind matters most.

During covid I was blown away enough by what Stutzle had going I made an account on this site to advocate he go higher, as his mind and talent were very special.

As amazed as I was and still am by Tim Stutzle, I can honestly say Michkov is head and shoulders better as a prospect, and will be better in the NHL than Tim. I am not certain Fantilli or Carlsson will. As talented as Stützle was/is, Michkov is a very different animal. In a lot of ways similar. Both have and had elite physical talent and special minds. But, as a prospect, Michkov is like every great thing about Stutzle on steroids. The physical talent is absurd. It looks like Michkov was born both on the ice and with a Hockey stick limb. He makes difficult stick skills look as easy and natural as drinking a glass of water. His Hockey IQ is genius level.

I did not post here to advocate the ducks take Michkov like I tried to advocate Stützle go higher. I posted here because Ducks fans seemed bummed they missed out on Bedard. Secretly though(not actually a secret) there is a player of the same caliber still on the board. Taking Michkov at 2, waiting 3 years, collecting more high picks and drafting more top level talent in that time span, could build this franchise into a dynasty. That is an option. Or take Fantilli/Carlsson and improve sooner and also be very good. Whatever floats your boats? But if you want special, like truly special, it is still on the board if you are down to wait for it
Good post good post ty for sharing 🫡🙏🏼

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Guys, Bedard vs Fantilli scoring in WJC is not comparable at all. The stats are not indicative of his scoring. Why? Because of the ice time: 20+ minutes vs 10 minutes. If anything Fantilli scored way more than he should have. That was not the role, not the line mates and not the ice time for him.

Regarding those criticisms about the finishing and puckhandling: say you've been averaging 20mins a game all season, scoring 2ppg. Now try playing 4th line minutes: it will affect those situations, where you squeeze your stick too tight. It's possible that his goal scoring won't translate that well but I woumd certainly give him the benefit of doubt at this point.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Guys, Bedard vs Fantilli scoring in WJC is not comparable at all. The stats are not indicative of his scoring. Why? Because of the ice time: 20+ minutes vs 10 minutes. If anything Fantilli scored way more than he should have. That was not the role, not the line mates and not the ice time for him.

Regarding those criticisms about the finishing and puckhandling: say you've been averaging 20mins a game all season, scoring 2ppg. Now try playing 4th line minutes: it will affect those situations, where you squeeze your stick too tight. It's possible that his goal scoring won't translate that well but I woumd certainly give him the benefit of doubt at this point.
He's not even our prospect yet. Might never be!

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think we've reached the point on HFB (main board and here) where people are looking for reasons to downgrade Fantilli and upgrade Carlsson. Either would be great but Fantilli is just a fantastic prospect. If the Ducks had dropped 2 spots everyone would be rationalizing how great it is to get Carlsson 3rd while secretly hoping that Fantilli somehow miraculously falls. That's what is happening on the Columbus board.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think we've reached the point on HFB (main board and here) where people are looking for reasons to downgrade Fantilli and upgrade Carlsson. Either would be great but Fantilli is just a fantastic prospect. If the Ducks had dropped 2 spots everyone would be rationalizing how great it is to get Carlsson 3rd while secretly hoping that Fantilli somehow miraculously falls. That's what is happening on the Columbus board.

We dropped one in the lottery, I'm still pissed about missing out on Bedard. For people saying Fantilli (or Carlsson) still a good consolation prize, I say, "f*** you! Neither one is Bedard."

As for your stance on Fantilli and Carlsson, it's odd b/c it translates to: "Don't pick on Fantilli. wah wah wah. Both prospects are great, but Fantilli is the bestest evaaah."

People can compare and contrast. You can join in on the fun. Or is Carlsson not worthy to discuss at #2 overall? Kinda reminds me of when McTavish wasn't worth to be discussed at #3 overall.

I think I'm the only one pointing out a flaw in Fantilli's game and I'm still saying we're picking Fantilli because he fits Verbeek's style/vision of play. What more do you want?!

JonathnTaylorTavares

Feb 4, 2019
Fantilli is the love child of Byfield and Lafrenniere

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
We dropped one in the lottery, I'm still pissed about missing out on Bedard. For people saying Fantilli (or Carlsson) still a good consolation prize, I say, "f*** you! Neither one is Bedard."

As for your stance on Fantilli and Carlsson, it's odd b/c it translates to: "Don't pick on Fantilli. wah wah wah. Both prospects are great, but Fantilli is the bestest evaaah."

People can compare and contrast. You can join in on the fun. Or is Carlsson not worthy to discuss at #2 overall? Kinda reminds me of when McTavish wasn't worth to be discussed at #3 overall.

I think I'm the only one pointing out a flaw in Fantilli's game and I'm still saying we're picking Fantilli because he fits Verbeek's style/vision of play. What more do you want?!
Bedard is gone. Get over it.

As to Fantilli/Carlsson, the debate is fine and I'm throwing in my $0.02 as well. I was on the McTavish at #3 bandwagon in '21 and I'm on the Fantilli at #2 bandwagon this year. I'm just curious who you want the Ducks to take...Fantilli or Carlsson?

49 more days to go...

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013

Wow! Don't worry. It gets better.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What's great is even Dirk is on board with Fantilli. Adam Fantilli is both the mean physical defensive guy and the speed n skill high IQ guy as well. Best of both worlds.

It's like Bergeron type prospect in Fantilli vs Kopitar type prospect in Carlsson.
I don't know who to compare Smith to.

I will say this, if Carlsson improves his skating to even close to Fantilli and improves his shot close to his he'll be as good as him because the playmaking will make up the difference. That's why I see him more as a project compared to Fantilli.

Btw Mackinnon struggled at a tournament too but it's not even a struggle for Fantilli because his usage/ice time was massively Lower than Bedard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad