Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft (mod warning 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah i know its early but 2022 draft discussion started pretty quickly too last year.
So far its #1 Bedard and #2 Mitchkov but after that what are players you are interested in for the Ducks ?
I don't see Bedard falling like Wright did at all. Who will be this years Slaf and Cooley ?

Blanket warning to everyone - the season is over, the active tanking is over, and everyone needs to remember how to get along.

Polite discussions of different viewpoints is fine. Assertions as to who is a good fan, who is a bad fan, and most particularly trolling behavior is going to result in thread bans and warnings. The vast majority of posters here are great about this. There are a few of you, on both sides of this issue, who are trying to start things, and I would advise you to carefully consider if that snarky comment you just made is worth being your last post in a thread. I would advise the folks who think that making an even snarkier response to make that same assessment. Neither of your posts will be seen by anyone else for long regardless.

It is perfectly fine to not understand how anyone could root for the team to lose. It is perfectly fine to not understand how losing has strong benefits to the franchise king term. There are gaping holes in BOTH positions, that may be discussed and debated…POLITELY.

We are all Ducks fans. Time to remember that and stop being at each other’s throats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
It’s early but fantilli is 2ppg as a freshmen, and prob brings a lot more to the roster stylistically that we need.

I’d want bedard or fantilli, Leo Carlson also looks fantastic . Also high on yegor and benson.
Im not sure what to think of Fantilli because some of the people that have watched him live make it sound like he isnt that noticeable but somehow always ends up on the scoresheet. Not sure how you can score that much and not be super noticeable. Either way I think the top 4 look really strong this year and we should be picking in that range.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
The top 4 is so strong, but I really don't want Michkov.

He will not step foot on the Ducks until the 26-27 season at the very earliest and I think the other 2 guys fighting for the 2-4 slots are going to be similar caliber players.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Im not sure what to think of Fantilli because some of the people that have watched him live make it sound like he isnt that noticeable but somehow always ends up on the scoresheet. Not sure how you can score that much and not be super noticeable. Either way I think the top 4 look really strong this year and we should be picking in that range.

Here's a good video scouting on Fantilli by Elite Prospects that shares why Fantilli is earning the hype.

Reactions: Static

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Will Smith has had an incredible season so far, same with Gabe Perreault, would be cool to have both Perreault’s

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
How much is Michigan’s roster impacting fantillii? His size is exactly the type of player we need

I love bedard but his size just adds to an already small roster although ide take him in a heart beat

Plus small d men in zellweger and dry

Not a playoff recipe for success

Reactions: Kalv

nvn

Oct 15, 2013
Just when I start to get excited about the draft, we are starting to PLAY (the whole structure, not just points) win... this team keeps finding ways to hurt me :laugh:
This team is terrible and has no defence. Legit bottom 4 team.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
How much is Michigan’s roster impacting fantillii? His size is exactly the type of player we need

I love bedard but his size just adds to an already small roster although ide take him in a heart beat

Plus small d men in zellweger and dry

Not a playoff recipe for success

Compare this year's Michigan roster to last year's and last year's roster is stacked!

Michigan Last year had...
D Power​
C Beniers​
C/LW Johnson​
C Brisson​
C Bordeleau​

Power, Beniers, and Johnson all went top-5 in the 2021 NHL draft! D Hughes was also selected in the top-5 of the 2021 draft, but he's playing with Michigan still. Michigan is a scouting powerhouse!

Fantilli's scoring rate is crazy good! It helps his linemate is probaby Samoskevich, a late first rounder from the 2021 draft, at 24th overall.

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
There's absolutely no question mark around Bedard whatsoever. None. Whoever thinks he isn't as good as advertised should go watch a crap sport like Basketball. First thing whoever wins the lottery should do is start offering the merch and second thing negotiating for a tough SOB player to ride his pipe game in and game out. Bedard would make Tie Domi a 50-point player in today's NHL, that's how amazing he is.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I really had my doubts, but after watching last night again we are definitely hitting the basement this year. Really looking at Bedard or Fantilli. Maybe we can grab another first.

I don't even mean to come off as pessimistic, but why am I getting vibes of a 'second' rebuild ala Buffalo?

There's absolutely no question mark around Bedard whatsoever. None. Whoever thinks he isn't as good as advertised should go watch a crap sport like Basketball. First thing whoever wins the lottery should do is start offering the merch and second thing negotiating for a tough SOB player to ride his pipe game in and game out. Bedard would make Tie Domi a 50-point player in today's NHL, that's how amazing he is.

Definitely been the highly touted pick for like two years now. It's either him or Fantilli as my runner up if we miss out.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I really had my doubts, but after watching last night again we are definitely hitting the basement this year. Really looking at Bedard or Fantilli. Maybe we can grab another first.

I don't even mean to come off as pessimistic, but why am I getting vibes of a 'second' rebuild ala Buffalo?

Definitely been the highly touted pick for like two years now. It's either him or Fantilli as my runner up if we miss out.

It isn't a second rebuild. 2019 was the first year not making the playoffs, so we can all agree that that was the very earliest that the "rebuild" started. But they didn't really make rebuilding moves (getting worse to get better longterm) until this past deadline.

Significant moves made since the 18-19 season:
Feb 2019 Montour
Feb 2020 Kase
March 2022 Manson
March 2022 Lindholm
March 2022 Rakell

The Montour and Kase trade were both not made with rebuilding in mind. Montour went to Arb which is the kiss of death with Bob. Kase was dumped to maximize on an injured player.

Neither of those moves were "rebuilding" moves. The first REAL steps to getting worse in order to get better long term was this deadline. We are in year 2 of the real rebuild.

Tampa Bay missed the playoffs 6 times in 7 years at the start of Stevie Ys run, and he had Hedman and Stamkos to prop up that rebuild.
Colorado also missed the playoffs 6 times in 7 years at the start of Sakic's run as GM.

Everyone points out Buffalo and Arizona as the teams that never finish a rebuild, but the teams that are good also went through a rebuild.
Every cup winner since 2009, except for St Louis and Boston, went through a bottom out and rebuild with high picks.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It isn't a second rebuild. 2019 was the first year not making the playoffs, so we can all agree that that was the very earliest that the "rebuild" started. But they didn't really make rebuilding moves (getting worse to get better longterm) until this past deadline.

Significant moves made since the 18-19 season:
Feb 2019 Montour
Feb 2020 Kase
March 2022 Manson
March 2022 Lindholm
March 2022 Rakell

The Montour and Kase trade were both not made with rebuilding in mind. Montour went to Arb which is the kiss of death with Bob. Kase was dumped to maximize on an injured player.

Neither of those moves were "rebuilding" moves. The first REAL steps to getting worse in order to get better long term was this deadline. We are in year 2 of the real rebuild.

Tampa Bay missed the playoffs 6 times in 7 years at the start of Stevie Ys run, and he had Hedman and Stamkos to prop up that rebuild.
Colorado also missed the playoffs 6 times in 7 years at the start of Sakic's run as GM.

Everyone points out Buffalo and Arizona as the teams that never finish a rebuild, but the teams that are good also went through a rebuild.
Every cup winner since 2009, except for St Louis and Boston, went through a bottom out and rebuild with high picks.

I hate how two or three guys filing for arbitration and being traded within a year has created this dumb talking point. No, it wasn't the kiss of death, they just didn't like the player and its easy to see why. And while I think the concept of rebuilding moves vs non-rebuilding moves is lame, I don't see how you argue trading a roster player for futures isn't a move made with an eye on the future.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I hate how two or three guys filing for arbitration and being traded within a year has created this dumb talking point. No, it wasn't the kiss of death, they just didn't like the player and its easy to see why. And while I think the concept of rebuilding moves vs non-rebuilding moves is lame, I don't see how you argue trading a roster player for futures isn't a move made with an eye on the future.

I think it is totally fair to say that Montour was not move purely because he went to arbitration, but you have to admit that if you went to arbitration you were much more likely to be moved by Bob.

It is hard to say that the Montour move (trading a 24 year old RFA) was in an effort to rebuild when they didn't do the actual no brainer rebuild moves like trade a pending UFA Silfverberg at the same deadline.

If they were actually rebuilding there is no chance they resign a 28 year old Silfverberg coming off a career year when they easily could have gotten a 1st+ for him at the deadline.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I think it is totally fair to say that Montour was not move purely because he went to arbitration, but you have to admit that if you went to arbitration you were much more likely to be moved by Bob.

It is hard to say that the Montour move (trading a 24 year old RFA) was in an effort to rebuild when they didn't do the actual no brainer rebuild moves like trade a pending UFA Silfverberg at the same deadline.

If they were actually rebuilding there is no chance they resign a 28 year old Silfverberg coming off a career year when they easily could have gotten a 1st+ for him at the deadline.

Actually I don't, that's why I always push back on that narrative. I actually can't think of the third guy this happened to, if there is one, but that shows how actually rare it was. It started as a narrative for why they moved on from Wisniewski originally, completely ignoring everything else that went on, and stuck. I don't think it was really much of a factor.

As for Silf, I'm pretty sure at the time Bob mentioned how things are changing but Silf is the kind of guy they want around in that transitional time period. There's no rule that says you can't sign a guy long term in a rebuild.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Actually I don't, that's why I always push back on that narrative. I actually can't think of the third guy this happened to, if there is one, but that shows how actually rare it was. It started as a narrative for why they moved on from Wisniewski originally, completely ignoring everything else that went on, and stuck. I don't think it was really much of a factor.

As for Silf, I'm pretty sure at the time Bob mentioned how things are changing but Silf is the kind of guy they want around in that transitional time period. There's no rule that says you can't sign a guy long term in a rebuild.

And this just makes my point. Bob never wanted to rebuild. He never made the hard decision to get worse with the goal of getting better long term. He wanted to retool and hope that the next wave (Steel, Comtois, Jones, Ritchie, Larsson, Terry) would come along, but they didn't with the exception of Terry after Bob was gone.

This is not a retool. Verbeek is actually rebuilding. Those 3 UFAs being moved was more of an effort to rebuild then Bob did in the 3 and a half years he was GM since the Ducks last made the playoffs.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
6 picks in top 3 rounds next year..... i dont think were in a spot where we need quantity of picks, but i imagine were going to add to that pick pool.

I hope Verbeek is aggressive in potentially trading up... specially if we end up with lets say a 20-32 pick.... add a 2nd or 2 and hopefully jump back into the top 18 range.

I imagine some more dmen are going to move up the board into that 10-30 range(there are hardly any dmen at this point in those ranges), but should also be some more good forward options.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
And this just makes my point. Bob never wanted to rebuild. He never made the hard decision to get worse with the goal of getting better long term. He wanted to retool and hope that the next wave (Steel, Comtois, Jones, Ritchie, Larsson, Terry) would come along, but they didn't with the exception of Terry after Bob was gone.

This is not a retool. Verbeek is actually rebuilding. Those 3 UFAs being moved was more of an effort to rebuild then Bob did in the 3 and a half years he was GM since the Ducks last made the playoffs.

No I think he just didn't want to use the word rebuild. He retooled the team from 2009-2013, it looked nothing like these last four years. Retooling teams have their main focus on the present, that wasn't remotely what this was. Like at this point you're just argue it isn't rebuilding if you're not trading veteran players, which I kind of get but it's just really close minded.

It's also a weirder sentiment given Verbeek is apparently rebuilding, yet all he's done is trade guys instead of losing them for nothing and sign different UFAs in their place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad