Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft (mod warning 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah i know its early but 2022 draft discussion started pretty quickly too last year.
So far its #1 Bedard and #2 Mitchkov but after that what are players you are interested in for the Ducks ?
I don't see Bedard falling like Wright did at all. Who will be this years Slaf and Cooley ?

Blanket warning to everyone - the season is over, the active tanking is over, and everyone needs to remember how to get along.

Polite discussions of different viewpoints is fine. Assertions as to who is a good fan, who is a bad fan, and most particularly trolling behavior is going to result in thread bans and warnings. The vast majority of posters here are great about this. There are a few of you, on both sides of this issue, who are trying to start things, and I would advise you to carefully consider if that snarky comment you just made is worth being your last post in a thread. I would advise the folks who think that making an even snarkier response to make that same assessment. Neither of your posts will be seen by anyone else for long regardless.

It is perfectly fine to not understand how anyone could root for the team to lose. It is perfectly fine to not understand how losing has strong benefits to the franchise king term. There are gaping holes in BOTH positions, that may be discussed and debated…POLITELY.

We are all Ducks fans. Time to remember that and stop being at each other’s throats.

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
What exactly are you disagreeing about?

You can still develop while tanking. It took years of development for Terry to finally make things click while we were rebuilding. With Terry, Zegras, Lundy, Comtois, and Drysdale developing during COVID season, we finished 2nd worst in the league.

Again, what exactly are you disagreeing about?
I disagree that the statement about development means he planned on tanking. And tanking is not good for development. IMO.

Reactions: bsu
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The prospects thread has turned into argument about twitter and the draft thread is just general bickering.

This draft is too good to be bothered with your bickering. Take it somewhere else. I'm not trying to act like a mod, I just accidentally hit the bold button and it won't turn off.

It's absolutely the wrong thread but there's nothing wrong with argument. If anything I'd argue the aversion to it makes it so much worse when it inevitably happens; disagreement is so foreign that it comes off as hostile when it happens. It's a discussion board, its supposed to be part of the fabric.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Although very early to fantasize, I’d love to trade our 2nds or a prospect to get Colby Barlow out of this draft too. I think he might end up top-10 as well though.

Yeah I really like Barlow, he projects to be the type of really strong complimentary forward we could use around these skilled guys - fast, hard nosed skill. In a less loaded draft year he'd probably be pushing on the top 5 like Cutter last year

Reactions: LePerilsofPerreault

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
6 picks in top 3 rounds next year..... i dont think were in a spot where we need quantity of picks, but i imagine were going to add to that pick pool.

I hope Verbeek is aggressive in potentially trading up... specially if we end up with lets say a 20-32 pick.... add a 2nd or 2 and hopefully jump back into the top 18 range.

I imagine some more dmen are going to move up the board into that 10-30 range(there are hardly any dmen at this point in those ranges), but should also be some more good forward options.

I doubt Verbeek will trade up much. I remember him talking about the draft and wanting a lot of lotto tickets and hope they hit, more a shotgun style then a sniper. Not sure how I feel about that, but I certainly understand the challenge of drafting 18 year olds from several different leagues (and countries).

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
This draft, imo, is perfect for the Ducks who could use better winger depth in the prospect pool. Add to this the fact they should have 5-6 picks in the first two rounds and they can certainly find a couple good wingers. Even outside the top 10. It would be great if they grabbed a gritty LW.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
This draft, imo, is perfect for the Ducks who could use better winger depth in the prospect pool. Add to this the fact they should have 5-6 picks in the first two rounds and they can certainly find a couple good wingers. Even outside the top 10. It would be great if they grabbed a gritty LW.
I'm more interested in a defensive D with actual top 4 upside.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I disagree that the statement about development means he planned on tanking. And tanking is not good for development. IMO.

We are tanking by design. Don't get hung up on words and look at deeds.

This isn't any different than what Murray was doing between 2018-19 TDL to 2020-21. That's how we ended up finishing 9th, 5th, and 2nd overall consecutively. We were still developing talent all the while, both young and older veterans. We just didn't have the horses back then and kept losing horses without replacing them. It's the same situation now.

I'm terribly lost with your disagreement considering we broke out in 2021-22. It didn't hurt Terry, Zegras, Drysdale, nor Lundy that we finished 2nd overall for worst record. It's not hurting Terry and Zegras now either. In fact, it's going to pay them very well because they can rise above.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm more interested in a defensive D with actual top 4 upside.
i feel like there will be some defensive prospect in round 2 worth snagging, but majority look like they are in the 24 draft.

23 might be a good time to find a steal or gem on back end…. I think we’re much deeper in defense prospects than forwards.

Reactions: goonsaredumb

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
i feel like there will be some defensive prospect in round 2 worth snagging, but majority look like they are in the 24 draft.

23 might be a good time to find a steal or gem on back end…. I think we’re much deeper in defense prospects than forwards.
I would a agree but the ones with the upside are all offensive D or at best 2 way. I think there were a few we got last year. Nothing with the hype of guys like Zellwigber or Mintyukov. I guess that's normal though. Offense always gets the most hype.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
I would a agree but the ones with the upside are all offensive D or at best 2 way. I think there were a few we got last year. Nothing with the hype of guys like Zellwigber or Mintyukov. I guess that's normal though. Offense always gets the most hype.
as you say defensive defensemen just don't get the hype that the offensive or two-way guys do, I think Thrun definitely fits the bill, he's always been hyped for being a high-level defensive defenseman he just so happens to have also evolved his game to the point that he's also a PPG defenseman in the NCAA, dude looks like a total stud, Ian Moore is another one who fits that defensive defenseman mold.

I love our NCAA guys and feel like they sometimes kind of get overlooked when people are judging our future at defense because a lot of the things people say we are missing from our defensive prospects our NCAA guys fit the bill in and both Moore and Thrun project to be NHL level players, Thrun especially projects to be high level in the NHL

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
it’s hard for me to complain about Bob not starting the rebuild earlier when 95% of this board was dilusional thinking a retool would work with this team. I remember getting a ton of shit from people because I was saying our core wasn’t good enough for a long term cup contender.

Reactions: AngelDuck

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
E9149192-3DE4-4B22-8627-EBB5E6225EF0.jpeg

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
If we finish in last place that means we have a 55% or so of picking third. But, if we pick top three in this draft I would expect that player to eventually be the best player on the team. Very excited for this draft.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
It's a tough competition. CBJ were #31, now got a win and are #26 already.

But as has been emphasized, the Ducks STILL have zero regulation wins (the main tiebreaker) and are last in the league in regulation+overtime wins with 3 (no one else has less than 5 at the moment), which means that the Ducks have to actually accumulate at least one more point than the other teams in the league in order to pass them. So you can really add an extra point to the deficit of all teams; for example, even though the Ducks are 2 points behind Arizona and Ottawa, it's really a 3 point gap and two wins they need to make up.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
But as has been emphasized, the Ducks STILL have zero regulation wins (the main tiebreaker) and are last in the league in regulation+overtime wins with 3 (no one else has less than 5 at the moment), which means that the Ducks have to actually accumulate at least one more point than the other teams in the league in order to pass them. So you can really add an extra point to the deficit of all teams; for example, even though the Ducks are 2 points behind Arizona and Ottawa, it's really a 3 point gap and two wins they need to make up.
True that. But we're not even 1/4 through the season. A LOT of things will change. I believe we will start winning more at some point as well. Important is weather the other teams will or will not start winning at some point.

I just pointed to the realization that there are a lot of bad teams this year outside us :laugh:
Albeit surprised about Ottawa and Buffalo sinking so low, I believe they have more into them. Borderline CBJ the same, albeit they had bad injuries.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
It also gonna depend on what the other teams sell at the deadline, Arizona could sell off what's left of their team and sink below the Ducks. Ritchie could be traded.

Reactions: Kalv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad