Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft (mod warning 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah i know its early but 2022 draft discussion started pretty quickly too last year.
So far its #1 Bedard and #2 Mitchkov but after that what are players you are interested in for the Ducks ?
I don't see Bedard falling like Wright did at all. Who will be this years Slaf and Cooley ?

Blanket warning to everyone - the season is over, the active tanking is over, and everyone needs to remember how to get along.

Polite discussions of different viewpoints is fine. Assertions as to who is a good fan, who is a bad fan, and most particularly trolling behavior is going to result in thread bans and warnings. The vast majority of posters here are great about this. There are a few of you, on both sides of this issue, who are trying to start things, and I would advise you to carefully consider if that snarky comment you just made is worth being your last post in a thread. I would advise the folks who think that making an even snarkier response to make that same assessment. Neither of your posts will be seen by anyone else for long regardless.

It is perfectly fine to not understand how anyone could root for the team to lose. It is perfectly fine to not understand how losing has strong benefits to the franchise king term. There are gaping holes in BOTH positions, that may be discussed and debated…POLITELY.

We are all Ducks fans. Time to remember that and stop being at each other’s throats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
This is incredibly stupid take but I'd almost prefer to get #2 overall and take Fantili.

Bedard is the best player in this draft, don't see it being opposed. But he is smallish and our core already is pretty damn small and the NHL is not the place to Harlem-Globe-Trotter your way to the Cup... In the WJC Bedard took his team to victory but many times it looked like he just tried to 1on1 his way to victory – at that level, it worked but what could he take to the NHL from that? Sure, Crosby as well is small but he battled several career threating head injuries despite being super-thicc and he just seems like a much more team and 2-way oriented. Bedard is the most skilled player in this draft by a mile, but I kind of liked Fantilli and how he could be a fit here. He was a man on the mission in the WJC who was put in a lesser role (I guess for a reason), but he always played his heart out, fast, physical and his insane NCAA scoring pace tells me he can score points without a problem.

I'd be stoked to land #1OV and pick Bedard but part of me wants us to just pick #2 and Fantilli... and I feel a bit dumb about it, lol.

I hope we end up with #1 or #2.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
This is incredibly stupid take but I'd almost prefer to get #2 overall and take Fantili.

Bedard is the best player in this draft, don't see it being opposed. But he is smallish and our core already is pretty damn small and the NHL is not the place to Harlem-Globe-Trotter your way to the Cup... In the WJC Bedard took his team to victory but many times it looked like he just tried to 1on1 his way to victory – at that level, it worked but what could he take to the NHL from that? Sure, Crosby as well is small but he battled several career threating head injuries despite being super-thicc and he just seems like a much more team and 2-way oriented. Bedard is the most skilled player in this draft by a mile, but I kind of liked Fantilli and how he could be a fit here. He was a man on the mission in the WJC who was put in a lesser role (I guess for a reason), but he always played his heart out, fast, physical and his insane NCAA scoring pace tells me he can score points without a problem.

I'd be stoked to land #1OV and pick Bedard but part of me wants us to just pick #2 and Fantilli... and I feel a bit dumb about it, lol.

I don't think Bedard is the most skilled "by a mile." Michkov is right there with him. I also like Fantilli's motor but am not sure how high his ceiling is.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Getzlaf noted how prospect offensive superstars do need to take time to develop into that 200-ft superstar. He said this about both Crosby and McDavid. If we land Bedard, then that's great and it's up to the GM to find the proper complementary players. Fortunately, we already have three top-6 forwards on the staff so that Bedard doesn't have to carry the load in Terry, Z, and McTavish. The GM needs to find load balancing wingers for the top-6 going into the future.

xxx - McTavish - Bedard​
xxx - Z - Terry​

Potential LW'ers: 6'3 Regenda, 6' Tracey, 6'1 Pastujov
Far future potential LW'ers: 6'3 Gaucher, 6'2 Hvidston
or we can trade for a big meanie top-6 PF.

Another way to complement the top-6 is by getting far talented defensemen.

I'd be ecstatic to land one of, by alphabetical order: Bedard, Carlsson, Fantilli, or Michkov. If you have a good GM, then that GM can make it all work out in the future on whoever we land. Again, this pick icing on the cake as I think we're already spoiled with Terry, Z, and McTavish. We also have Lundy trying to find consistency.

Reactions: Kalv

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

I'm kind of in the same boat, i don't see the Ducks getting lucky enough to get Bedard, so i really want them to get at least Fantilli and i think he's the best fit like you said and allows Zegras to move to LW.
He'd be the biggest of the trio of Z, McT and Fantilli.
Zegras/Fantilli/Vatrano
Strome/McTavish/Terry
Lundestrom/Gaucher/Perreault or Tracey
Jones/Groulx/Tschigerl

Reactions: Kalv

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
4 points today thus far... Saw this live... I wonder how much regret teams will have if he actually drops.

Reactions: Vipers31 and Static

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Sucks that Verbeek is a first time GM and I doubt he picks a player that is that far out from playing in NHL knowing his NHL career is most likely on the line.... Michkov is definitely a top 2 prospect in this draft if he was playing in juniors his numbers would be scary.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Sucks that Verbeek is a first time GM and I doubt he picks a player that is that far out from playing in NHL knowing his NHL career is most likely on the line.... Michkov is definitely a top 2 prospect in this draft if he was playing in juniors his numbers would be scary.
You also need to consider how he would fit, how is his english. The group would have been together developing in the mean time. Now you want your most important piece to come in from the outside and start taking charge.

In a way, if we assume he fulfills his contract in KHL. He will have matured as a player once he comes over and there might be somewhat limited opportunities to mold him as your prospect while he's in Russia.

I'm not against Michkov but you have to consider all the factors and admit that it's a gamble with huge stakes that high in the draft.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Anaheim doesn't cycle through GMs like that though. If they don't take him it has to mean they are seriously worried if he is coming over at all.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Flip side is, owners might understand the growing pains of a new GM and give them a little more rope. A vet with a few bad years already might go for the quick fix. Granted, if he takes Mitchkov and the Ducks are bad when his contract in the KHL is up and decides not to come over, that might be a career killer here in Anaheim. Either way, I think Verbeek has at least 4-5 seasons to show significant progress.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
if they end up drafting 2nd i 100% expect them to take fantilli. just seems like a verbeek type player

Reactions: bsu

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
3rd is where I take Michkov personally, but I’m open to him 2nd. My top 6 would probably be something like

Bedard
Fantilli
Michkov
Carlsson
Smith
Benson

I like Fantilli’s game a lot and think he will be a elite player in the NHL akin to an Eichel.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I don't think I could take michkov above bedard/Fantilli/carlsson. This franchise just can't survive getting nothing out of this terrible season. The difference between Fantilli/carlsson and him just isn't big enough to me to justify the risk.

Other franchises with different financial profiles are better equipped to take that risk.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think I could take michkov above bedard/Fantilli/carlsson. This franchise just can't survive getting nothing out of this terrible season. The difference between Fantilli/carlsson and him just isn't big enough to me to justify the risk.

Other franchises with different financial profiles are better equipped to take that risk.
He's closer to Bedard (if not right next to him) than Carlsson/Fantilli as a prospect without including the whole Russian thing IMO.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
He's closer to Bedard (if not right next to him) than Carlsson/Fantilli wise without including the whole Russian thing IMO.
I agree with that, he's the second best prospect in this draft. But if he didn't come over it would cripple us.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Michkov team has 9 wins and 47 losses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Static

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Some prospects that I like in the 2nd round:

6'2 LW Aydar Suniev from BCHL (committed to Umass)
6'5 LD Jakub Dvorak (shutdown D)
6'6 G Michael Hrabal (committed to Umass)

Here's a good sum of some prospects by Pension Plan Puppets: link
A 6’5 shutdown d sounds like a good gamble given all of the offensive d we have in the system. That’s a huge upside profile if he can skate.

Reactions: lwvs84

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

They have the draft as a huge drop off after pick five (bedard, Fantilli, carlsson, michkov, Benson), with picks six to ~35/40 as pretty interchangable. We really need to finish at least third worst to make this season "worth" it.

Also, the decision to go super d heavy last year is absolutely paying off because this draft is incredibly weak at the position.
Benson is now close to the top 4? I thought the big drop off came after 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad