Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft (mod warning 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah i know its early but 2022 draft discussion started pretty quickly too last year.
So far its #1 Bedard and #2 Mitchkov but after that what are players you are interested in for the Ducks ?
I don't see Bedard falling like Wright did at all. Who will be this years Slaf and Cooley ?

Blanket warning to everyone - the season is over, the active tanking is over, and everyone needs to remember how to get along.

Polite discussions of different viewpoints is fine. Assertions as to who is a good fan, who is a bad fan, and most particularly trolling behavior is going to result in thread bans and warnings. The vast majority of posters here are great about this. There are a few of you, on both sides of this issue, who are trying to start things, and I would advise you to carefully consider if that snarky comment you just made is worth being your last post in a thread. I would advise the folks who think that making an even snarkier response to make that same assessment. Neither of your posts will be seen by anyone else for long regardless.

It is perfectly fine to not understand how anyone could root for the team to lose. It is perfectly fine to not understand how losing has strong benefits to the franchise king term. There are gaping holes in BOTH positions, that may be discussed and debated…POLITELY.

We are all Ducks fans. Time to remember that and stop being at each other’s throats.

Last edited by a moderator:

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I don't know if it would hurt to add a 2024 NHL Entry Draft thread as well, given where the team is at.

Celebrini is definitely right near the top of the rankings for next year.

I don't want the pokemon memes that I can only imagine Celebrini would bring. I am however following Aron Kiviharju closely. Back to back 1st overall for TPS?

Ed ...wait what am I saying? Anyway it feels good to have top end talent coming through my area.

Last edited:

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
The early second round could have some good forward potential with Ziemmer, Stramel, Honzek, But, Musty and Haltunnen potentially available. Strbak and Simashev could also be interesting pick ups for the back end.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The early second round could have some good forward potential with Ziemmer, Stramel, Honzek, But, Musty and Haltunnen potentially available. Strbak and Simashev could also be interesting pick ups for the back end.

I like Strbak a lot too! But I think his stock will rise like last year's defensive D going into the late first round. Simashev is the one I think will be skyrocketing into the teens as more word gets out on his two-way potential.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Keep thinking about how Arizona turned 27 + 34 + 45 into 11th overall last year. Hope we can do something similar
It's all up to each teams' draft boards. The Ducks certainly have the picks and prospects to do all kinds of moves.

I think Verbeek is still eyeing the same archetype as last draft: some skill, bigger and meaner and close to nhl ready instead of projects. If there is someone specific they see, I don't mind the move.

Still, aren't you bound to get a nhl player with 3 2nds? It's kind of a steep price just going by these odds, though this doesn't take into account the actual quality of the player.

Per Jokke Nevalainen on dobbersports, the average 1st rounder is 74% and average 2nd rounder is 34% to play 100 nhl games.

Their chart show roughly these (draft pick = odds to play 100 games):
#11= 70%
#30 = 40%
#60 = 30%

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It's all up to each teams' draft boards. The Ducks certainly have the picks and prospects to do all kinds of moves.

I think Verbeek is still eyeing the same archetype as last draft: some skill, bigger and meaner and close to nhl ready instead of projects. If there is someone specific they see, I don't mind the move.

Still, aren't you bound to get a nhl player with 3 2nds? It's kind of a steep price just going by these odds, though this doesn't take into account the actual quality of the player.

Per Jokke Nevalainen on dobbersports, the average 1st rounder is 74% and average 2nd rounder is 34% to play 100 nhl games.

Their chart show roughly these (draft pick = odds to play 100 games):
#11= 70%
#30 = 40%
#60 = 30%
We don't have any blue chip forward prospects now with McTavish graduating, our first pick will obviously be one, but if we can trade 3 picks for a Geekie type forward prospect we should absolutely do it IMO.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
We don't have any blue chip forward prospects now with McTavish graduating, our first pick will obviously be one, but if we can trade 3 picks for a Geekie type forward prospect we should absolutely do it IMO.
The thing about that this year is, I don't think there is much of a difference between selections 15 and 30 in terms of potential. And also more than usual amounts of talent in the 2nd round. That is why I think it will be all about who each team values that leads to those movements.

Like the Ducks would need to have a top5 guy from their board to be available at 15 to justify that trade this year because the gap isn't that big and the rest are still very good prospects. So I wouldn't be worried if they don't move up but instead just use the selections.

Edit. It's funny because the suggestion to move up in '23 was something I was hoping the Ducks fo after last draft but seeing this years crop I've become iffy.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
ds, The early second round could have some good forward potential with Ziemmer, Stramel, Honzek, But, Musty and Haltunnen potentially available. Strbak and Simashev could also be interesting pick ups for the back end.
Yep you figure some Dmen are going to move up on draft day... there should def be a few options in the first 10-15 picks in the 2nd.

Which is part of the reason i dont mind loading up on 2nds/3rds... gives us the ability to move up for any fallers we really like (or potential cap casualties)

On draft day id love to be drafting(Moving up in draft via trades, + assets we pick up at deadline)
-Top 5
- Late 1st(25-32)
- early 2nd x 2( 33-45 range via trading up )

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
On a side note(just looking at mynhldraft)

Dragicevic and reinbacher are listed 25+... Id love to grab either of those guys with a late 1st.

Drysdale Luneau Dragicevic/Reinbacher Warren on the right side
Mintyukov Zellweger Hinds Lacombe on left side

Doesnt include guys like Helleson, Moore, Benoit

Pretty damn nice

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
On a side note(just looking at mynhldraft)

Dragicevic and reinbacher are listed 25+... Id love to grab either of those guys with a late 1st.

Drysdale Luneau Dragicevic/Reinbacher Warren on the right side
Mintyukov Zellweger Hinds Lacombe on left side

Doesnt include guys like Helleson, Moore, Benoit

Pretty damn nice

I would bet a lot of money that Reinbacher goes closer to 10 then 25. Maybe even in the top 10. He has shot up some lists and then when you factor in how shallow the draft is on defensemen that pushses him even higher.

I would take him in a second if we can get a second 1st.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I would bet a lot of money that Reinbacher goes closer to 10 then 25. Maybe even in the top 10. He has shot up some lists and then when you factor in how shallow the draft is on defensemen that pushses him even higher.

I would take him in a second if we can get a second 1st.
Oh I agree, was weird seeing both of them that far back on mynhldraft…. I imagine both will be gone by 15

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Any idea of who you guys would target with our 3 2nds?

Some prospects that I like in the 2nd round:

6'2 RD Maxim Strbak (committed to Mich State, NCAA)​
6'2 LW Aydar Suniev from BCHL (committed to Umass, NCAA)​
6'5 LD Jakub Dvorak (shutdown D)​
6'6 G Michael Hrabal (committed to Umass, NCAA)​

I didn't realize these players were NCAA bound when reading up on them. Yeah, I know we just got burned by Thrun, but LaCombe did sign. Before him, it was Welinski that signed.

Reactions: Kalv

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I could see Michkov ending up with SJ, they'd have the smallest top6 in history though (Bordileau, Eklund and Michkov).

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Washington is the 10th worst team in the NHL, they just sold off Orlov and Hathaway for draft picks.
They could try tanking to where they can draft Michkov. If Michkov makes it past #4, WSH is definitely trading up if they don't end up with #5.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
More 2nd round potential players: Finnish players

6'3 and 207 lbs RW Kasper Halttunen. He's a Jun birthdate. Lots of rankings have him ranked as high as 19th overall to 49th overall. The offensive upside is due to U20 productions for the past two seasons. That offense hasn't translated over to the Liiga league in 26 games. He's only 17 years old playing against men.

6'2 and 176 lbs LD Arttu Karki. He's an offensive D. All of his productions are at the U20 league, scoring over a ppg rate this season. Projected to be near the bottom of the 2nd round, but may slowly rise in the draft b/c you can't teach height.

I'd see both as stash and stew type prospects. Let them continue their progress in the Liiga. It's another option for Verbeek if he wants to avoid college players for stash and stew type prospects.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

They have the draft as a huge drop off after pick five (bedard, Fantilli, carlsson, michkov, Benson), with picks six to ~35/40 as pretty interchangable. We really need to finish at least third worst to make this season "worth" it.

Also, the decision to go super d heavy last year is absolutely paying off because this draft is incredibly weak at the position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad