Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft (mod warning 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah i know its early but 2022 draft discussion started pretty quickly too last year.
So far its #1 Bedard and #2 Mitchkov but after that what are players you are interested in for the Ducks ?
I don't see Bedard falling like Wright did at all. Who will be this years Slaf and Cooley ?

Blanket warning to everyone - the season is over, the active tanking is over, and everyone needs to remember how to get along.

Polite discussions of different viewpoints is fine. Assertions as to who is a good fan, who is a bad fan, and most particularly trolling behavior is going to result in thread bans and warnings. The vast majority of posters here are great about this. There are a few of you, on both sides of this issue, who are trying to start things, and I would advise you to carefully consider if that snarky comment you just made is worth being your last post in a thread. I would advise the folks who think that making an even snarkier response to make that same assessment. Neither of your posts will be seen by anyone else for long regardless.

It is perfectly fine to not understand how anyone could root for the team to lose. It is perfectly fine to not understand how losing has strong benefits to the franchise king term. There are gaping holes in BOTH positions, that may be discussed and debated…POLITELY.

We are all Ducks fans. Time to remember that and stop being at each other’s throats.

Last edited by a moderator:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I want to remind everyone... the team Michkov is playing on literally has 6 wins and 44 losses.....

It looks like Michkov is raising his stock again. Thank goodness SKA loaned him to the worst team in the KHL. It still seems odd that Michkov couldn't make it on the SKA roster, though. Maybe his injury took him longer to fully recover and make him play a perimeter game to avoid contact.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
at this point the Michkov deniers are just huffing copium
Yeah... he's easily the 2nd best prospect in the draft. If he was playing in juniors like Bedard I think it would be a legit battle for #1. Even with the circumstances in the world & his contract "issues", he's so good I'd still be okay taking him #2.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
at this point the Michkov deniers are just huffing copium

I don't think they're denying Michkov isn't a top talent b/c he's always in the top-4. Michkov isn't on Bedard level either. My worry about Michkov is why did SKA give up on Michkov? Is it because of his play without the puck or playing a perimeter style? Those were some of the reasons why Michkov dropped in some scout reporting eyes from 2 to 4.

It's too bad we couldn't see Michkov at the recent WJC to have a better read on him. OTOH, we do get a lot of exposure of Fantilli and Carlsson. Gotta give both of them credit for inserting themselves into the 2-4 equation.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
I don't think they're denying Michkov isn't a top talent b/c he's always in the top-4. Michkov isn't on Bedard level either. My worry about Michkov is why did SKA give up on Michkov? Is it because of his play without the puck or playing a perimeter style? Those were some of the reasons why Michkov dropped in some scout reporting eyes from 2 to 4.

It's too bad we couldn't see Michkov at the recent WJC to have a better read on him. OTOH, we do get a lot of exposure of Fantilli and Carlsson. Gotta give both of them credit for inserting themselves into the 2-4 equation.
From my understanding, the reason he was loaned from SKA to Sochi is that he was buried on a stacked team and wasn't getting ice time so he was moved to Sochi rather than playing bottom 6 minutes for SKA, I don't think the fact that a 17-year-old couldn't slot into the top-6 on the best team in the 2nd strongest league in the world should be a mark against him.

I agree that it's a damn shame we didn't get to see him at the WJ's I think he would've proven a lot of his detractors wrong, he outscored Bedard at the U-18's and wasn't far behind him at the canceled 2021 WJ's, I obviously think Bedard is the better player and there is an ever-increasing gap between the two but I think Michkov is closer to Bedard than any other player in terms of sheer skill, I think the only concern I personally have is how small he is, people go on about Bedard being too small but he's built like a tank he's just not tall, Michkov is both short and small but the fact he's doing so well in a men's league right now definitely helps ease fears about that.

At the end of the day I'd be happy with any of the Big 4, I'm hyped as shit for all 4 of those guys they all look like franchise players

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
From my understanding, the reason he was loaned from SKA to Sochi is that he was buried on a stacked team and wasn't getting ice time so he was moved to Sochi rather than playing bottom 6 minutes for SKA, I don't think the fact that a 17-year-old couldn't slot into the top-6 on the best team in the 2nd strongest league in the world should be a mark against him.

I agree that it's a damn shame we didn't get to see him at the WJ's I think he would've proven a lot of his detractors wrong, he outscored Bedard at the U-18's and wasn't far behind him at the canceled 2021 WJ's, I obviously think Bedard is the better player and there is an ever-increasing gap between the two but I think Michkov is closer to Bedard than any other player in terms of sheer skill, I think the only concern I personally have is how small he is, people go on about Bedard being too small but he's built like a tank he's just not tall, Michkov is both short and small but the fact he's doing so well in a men's league right now definitely helps ease fears about that.

At the end of the day I'd be happy with any of the Big 4, I'm hyped as shit for all 4 of those guys they all look like franchise players

Michkov broke in with SKA last year. This year he played 3 games and got injured. He was sent down to the MHL and was over a ppg producer, but at a -5. SKA could have had him in a bottom-6 role being so young, which they did last season. That's when I read reports of his play displayed bad habits and played the perimeter game. This is where he dropped from 2 to 3/4, including CS (EU) ranking Carlsson above him at the mid-term rankings.

Matvei was probably too good offensively at the MHL and the KHL could use the bump in attraction if he were loaned to Sochi, the worst team in the league. He has on and off games, but good experience for him offensively at the KHL level.

Although both Bedard and Matvei are shorter forwards, there's a huge difference in build. EP has Bedard listed at 5'10 and 185 lbs, but his recent development shared by @bsu showed he might be a bit more massive. Matvei's EP is 5'10 and 148 lbs (I could have sworn it said 5'9), but his Central Scouting has him listed 5'10 and 172 lbs.

While Matvei did score two more points than Bedard at the WJC-18 a couple of seasons ago, Bedard has surpassed him since. At cancelled WJC-20 winter event, Michkov scored 3 goals in 2 games with Russia and Bedard scored 4 goals and 1 assists in two games with Canada. Bedard is going to score 100 points in 20 to 22 games fewer than last season.

As for a 17-year old thriving with a stacked team against men's is Carlsson in the SHL. Orebro is the 4th best team in the SHL. Carlsson has doubled his production this year in 4 fewer matches from 9 to 18 points, tied for 7th in scoring in seven fewer games to those he's tied with on the team. He had a good outing at the WJC-20. Also, it doesn't hurt that he's 6'3 and 194 lbs as a 17-year old to start his SHL season.

Fantilli is leading the NCAA in scoring and has a +18 rating as a 6'2 and 187 lbs freshman.

Michkov is a top-4 talent, but I don't think many are giving Carlsson and Fantilli their due in passing up Matvei. With Michkov scoring again, he's dragging himself back into 2/3 position. He's still got time to catch up, but Michkov is the only person to hurt his own stock.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Assessing NTDP players has been such a puzzle for me since the schedule varies between USHL, NCAA and International competition.

So I broke their production down by each and used a weighted approach to tallying their NHLe scores to see where they would compare to the rest of the league. For instance, if a player had the following NHLe scores for each split:

USHL (21 GP): 30
NCAA (18 GP): 50
WJC-18 (7 GP): 40

Their NHLe would be about 39. [30*(21/46)]+[50*(18/46)]+[40*(7/46)] = 39.35

Its not perfect, but an improvement from NHLe scores we are seeing elsewhere.

Rk. Name (CSS rank)................NHLe

1. Adam Fantilli (NA #2)..............47
2. Connor Bedard (NA #1)..........46
3. Matvei Michkov (Eur #2).........41
4. Gabe Perreault (NA #15)........37 **
5. Will Smith (NA #3).................36 **

6. Alexander Suvorov (Eur NR)...34
7. Ryan Leonard (NA #4)............32 **
8. Andrew Cristall (NA #16)........31
9. Zach Benson (NA #7).............29
10. Leo Carlsson (Eur #1)...........27

11. Quentin Musty (NA #11)........27