Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft (mod warning 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah i know its early but 2022 draft discussion started pretty quickly too last year.
So far its #1 Bedard and #2 Mitchkov but after that what are players you are interested in for the Ducks ?
I don't see Bedard falling like Wright did at all. Who will be this years Slaf and Cooley ?

Blanket warning to everyone - the season is over, the active tanking is over, and everyone needs to remember how to get along.

Polite discussions of different viewpoints is fine. Assertions as to who is a good fan, who is a bad fan, and most particularly trolling behavior is going to result in thread bans and warnings. The vast majority of posters here are great about this. There are a few of you, on both sides of this issue, who are trying to start things, and I would advise you to carefully consider if that snarky comment you just made is worth being your last post in a thread. I would advise the folks who think that making an even snarkier response to make that same assessment. Neither of your posts will be seen by anyone else for long regardless.

It is perfectly fine to not understand how anyone could root for the team to lose. It is perfectly fine to not understand how losing has strong benefits to the franchise king term. There are gaping holes in BOTH positions, that may be discussed and debated…POLITELY.

We are all Ducks fans. Time to remember that and stop being at each other’s throats.

Last edited by a moderator:

LePerilsofPerreault

Mar 20, 2022
Tryna get away, man
Sorry but using our highest pick in a while.... in an absolutely stacked draft for someone like Barlow because he might be good fit next to Zegras doesn't cut it for me personally. I want the best line driving player available period. I wouldn't mind him after the top 10. McTavish has way more play driving than Barlow IMO. If we somehow pick at #10ish than I'd think about it but I don't see that as a realistic possibility at this time.
That’s fine, but he’s undeniably put himself into the mix leading the OHL in scoring at 17 following up his 30 goal rookie year. I’d take Yager, Benson, or Smith too, that’s cool with me, but he is ahead of them on some lists and that’s not dismissible.

I really love this player’s brain and his results. Regardless of what fan perception is. Rising like McT or Quinn.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
That’s fine, but he’s undeniably put himself into the mix leading the OHL in scoring at 17 following up his 30 goal rookie year. I’d take Yager, Benson, or Smith too, that’s cool with me, but he is ahead of them on some lists and that’s not dismissible.

I really love this player’s brain and his results. Regardless of what fan perception is. Rising like McT or Quinn.
Most definitely, he's in there (probably for good reason) I just don't want him with our first pick period. We need play drivers and I think he's more of a passenger personally (albeit a good one).

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Most definitely, he's in there (probably for good reason) I just don't want him with our first pick period. We need play drivers and I think he's more of a passenger personally (albeit a good one).
Agreed on all accounts, wouldn’t like Barlow pick(unless we’re drafting in that 8-12 range( which is unlikely)

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
McTavish was a reach to fans at 3, Barlow is ranked 8th by McKenzie and I think 5-10 is pretty interchangeable. He isn’t chopped liver compared to a Benson or Yager.

Fans are the standard of what's a reach? Central Scouting Final rankings had McTavish ranked #2 NA prospect overall: link.

Barlow's CS Midterm ranking for NA skaters is 10th. That would mean Barlow's draft range is in the teens. CS isn't perfect, though, and Barlow could definitely be rising. Here's a scouting report on Barlow:

Colby Barlow - Smaht Scouting - Nov. 25th: "This is a player that I don’t see being able to drive his own line. He has great hands in tight areas, and can unleash a bomb of a wrister, but to see him reach his potential, he’d benefit immensely from a centerman with vision and distribution skills."

Here's a scouting report from the Athletic:

He, like Leonard, has a high floor and should safely become a strong third-line player — but has the upside to become more of things really click in his north-south game at the next level.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Michkov is killing it today thus far.

EDIT: This is also insane lol

1675186820292.png

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Pronman's new top 10

1. Bedard
2. Fantilli
3. Michkov
4. Carlsson
5. Smith
6. Reinbacher
7. Sale
8. But
9. Danielson
10. Moore

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
There's no way Benson is not in top 10. At this juncture there's a top 6 we want and that's Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith, Benson. After that it drops off IMO. Draft prospects (NHL blackbook) said the same this morning as well. There's Tier 1; Bedard, Michkov (but the risks) Tier 2; Carlsson, Fantilli Tier 3: Smith, Benson then a drop off IMO.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
There's no way Benson is not in top 10. At this juncture there's a top 6 we want and that's Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith, Benson. After that it drops off IMO. Draft prospects (NHL blackbook) said the same this morning as well. There's Tier 1; Bedard, Michkov (but the risks) Tier 2; Carlsson, Fantilli Tier 3: Smith, Benson then a drop off IMO.
Pronman doesn't think he's fast enough for his frame

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Pronman doesn't think he's fast enough for his frame
Whenever I watch him he wins a ridiculous amount of puck battles, he knows how to use his body. Yeah he's not the fastest player but he has some of the highest hockey sense in the draft. Every time I watch him I can't believe how he gets the puck off the wall or out of a battle even against big defensemen, it's definitely one of his strengths. He knows how to find open space and create open space for his teammates, incredible hockey sense. That being said he has a fast first couple steps but his overall speed is not lightning fast I'd agree on that. It's definitely not a "weakness" though imo.

If he hit his realistic potential he would be an Aho/Point type player. Just way too smart to not be successful, makes the small little plays no one notices but creates flashier chances.

Here's some highlights but to truly appreciate his game you have to watch a full game and see how smart he plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
His team f***in sucks btw, like watching the Ducks most nights the few times I watched. They are literally 5 wins 40 losses. If he was on a good team or Canadian he would be fighting for the #1 spot.

Reactions: Deuce22

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Pronman's new top 10

1. Bedard
2. Fantilli
3. Michkov
4. Carlsson
5. Smith
6. Reinbacher
7. Sale
8. But
9. Danielson
10. Moore

I wish Pronman would have given more insight into Michkov's play with Sochi, but it feels like he gave us overall impression instead. Michkov is producing on a the worst KHL team, but couldn't break in with SKA this year despite getting 13 games with SKA last year. There's a story there and we're not getting it.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Pronman's new top 10

1. Bedard
2. Fantilli
3. Michkov
4. Carlsson
5. Smith
6. Reinbacher
7. Sale
8. But
9. Danielson
10. Moore

I wonder putting Reinbacher in the top-10 is to drum up controversy to get more press. That's a significant leap compared to the rest of the scouting/mocking industry. CSB EU has him ranked 10th best Euro skater. It got me intrigued.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
The name that interests me in the top 10 is But, I’ve been thinking he could be a great power winger to get in the early second round. Looks like he may start moving up lists, unless the Russian factor stops him.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wonder putting Reinbacher in the top-10 is to drum up controversy to get more press. That's a significant leap compared to the rest of the scouting/mocking industry. CSB EU has him ranked 10th best Euro skater. It got me intrigued.
i don’t think it’s much of anything.

Dmen always rise late…. A team or 2 in top 10 will end up taking dmen for sure

Whenever I watch him he wins a ridiculous amount of puck battles, he knows how to use his body. Yeah he's not the fastest player but he has some of the highest hockey sense in the draft. Every time I watch him I can't believe how he gets the puck off the wall or out of a battle even against big defensemen, it's definitely one of his strengths. He knows how to find open space and create open space for his teammates, incredible hockey sense. That being said he has a fast first couple steps but his overall speed is not lightning fast I'd agree on that. It's definitely not a "weakness" though imo.

If he hit his realistic potential he would be an Aho/Point type player. Just way too smart to not be successful, makes the small little plays no one notices but creates flashier chances.

Here's some highlights but to truly appreciate his game you have to watch a full game and see how smart he plays.

I like benson a lot, if we end up outside top 3… I want benson personally

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
i don’t think it’s much of anything.

Dmen always rise late…. A team or 2 in top 10 will end up taking dmen for sure

I'm not discounting that maybe a defenseman might break into the top-10, but Reinbacher isn't at the top of that list of D-men that could break into the top-10 right now. McKeen's mid-season ranking has Reinbacher at 26th overall, which is consistent with CSB EU's ranking Reinbacher at 10th.

Everyone wants the next hidden in the mud defensemen like Seider. I wouldn't take that risk in this draft with all these forwards.

Been listening to both EP and THW on youtube doing their big pow-wow. They all agree that forward grouping is just that good in the top12.

LePerilsofPerreault

Mar 20, 2022
Tryna get away, man
Fans are the standard of what's a reach? Central Scouting Final rankings had McTavish ranked #2 NA prospect overall: link.

Barlow's CS Midterm ranking for NA skaters is 10th. That would mean Barlow's draft range is in the teens. CS isn't perfect, though, and Barlow could definitely be rising. Here's a scouting report on Barlow:

Colby Barlow - Smaht Scouting - Nov. 25th: "This is a player that I don’t see being able to drive his own line. He has great hands in tight areas, and can unleash a bomb of a wrister, but to see him reach his potential, he’d benefit immensely from a centerman with vision and distribution skills."

Here's a scouting report from the Athletic:

He, like Leonard, has a high floor and should safely become a strong third-line player — but has the upside to become more of things really click in his north-south game at the next level.
Nope. Simply bringing up a parallel to McT based on how the idea of picking Barlow was reacted to because i love the player. Responding to a fan reaction with another example of fans reactions. He’s driving goals into the net consistently and he is not a floater. I’m simply saying i don’t care where fan perception of his rank is because i genuinely believe in the prospect.

I understand it isn’t as sexy, but i’d go Smith if we’re at 5 and Benson or Barlow at 6. Think Yager will be good too but i’m not as high on him as some.

I’m fine dying on this hill but i don’t have the mental energy to argue a player we probably won’t even have to think about picking.

Edit: and to be clear I don’t think my insight is any more credible than another fan on here at all, there’s obviously oil burning with him rising on lists. My position is not that i’d be disappointed if we didn’t take him at that spot, but rather that he is as viable as any of the other names here to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boo Boo

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I thought it was interesting that Pronman said "[Carlson's] listed as a center, and has dabbled at it at the J20 level, but for the most part over the last two years I’ve seen him play wing."

A 6'3" winger with that much skill and two way game would be nice on the wing if Zegras and McTavish remain at center.
A lot of swedish prospects play on the wing in the SHL even if they profile as centers stylistically. Of the top four forwards in this class, Bedard, fantilli, michkov, and Carlsson, Leo projects as the most likely to stick at center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad