Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft (mod warning 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah i know its early but 2022 draft discussion started pretty quickly too last year.
So far its #1 Bedard and #2 Mitchkov but after that what are players you are interested in for the Ducks ?
I don't see Bedard falling like Wright did at all. Who will be this years Slaf and Cooley ?

Blanket warning to everyone - the season is over, the active tanking is over, and everyone needs to remember how to get along.

Polite discussions of different viewpoints is fine. Assertions as to who is a good fan, who is a bad fan, and most particularly trolling behavior is going to result in thread bans and warnings. The vast majority of posters here are great about this. There are a few of you, on both sides of this issue, who are trying to start things, and I would advise you to carefully consider if that snarky comment you just made is worth being your last post in a thread. I would advise the folks who think that making an even snarkier response to make that same assessment. Neither of your posts will be seen by anyone else for long regardless.

It is perfectly fine to not understand how anyone could root for the team to lose. It is perfectly fine to not understand how losing has strong benefits to the franchise king term. There are gaping holes in BOTH positions, that may be discussed and debated…POLITELY.

We are all Ducks fans. Time to remember that and stop being at each other’s throats.

Last edited by a moderator:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
You’re missing my point completely. Those guys can all skate well enough to play in todays NHL. What I’m saying is they need to be good skaters to handle the increased speed of the game. Of course size is awesome to have on the back end, but it’s useless if they can’t move around well.

I’d pick a 5’11 180 lb d man who can skate over a 6’4 220 lb pilon. Put it that way.

And just because a guy is big doesn’t mean he is tough.
I'd pick a 6'2-6'3 defensemen that knows how to play defense/ clear the crease / play with a bit of physicality and has puck skills.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'd pick a 6'2-6'3 defensemen that knows how to play defense/ clear the crease / play with a bit of physicality and has puck skills.

But can he skate?

Not every player can be great skaters. With defensemen, usually it's the smaller D that skate like the wind. What Anaheim has done under GM Murray was to pair an OFD with a DFD. Most OFD can skate well. The DFD does all the grunt work on the defensive end and the OFD has the responsibility to push or carry the puck out of the D-zone and potentially help score. It's a great paring dynamic that works. Manson isn't a great skater, but he plays the shutdown role very well.

If we can find tall, big DFD that can skate, then draft them. We have in LD Hinds and RD Warren. A DFD that doesn't skate like the wind is Thrun, but we're very high on him.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

If we do end up with a second first round pick this would be a target of mine.

Agree, his footage looks good. We don’t need more small Dmen but he looks a bit like Drysdale with his skating and his defensive coverage. Shows a bit of grit.

He’s ranked as a really late 2nd or 3rd right now but I think hes going to climb up by the end of the year.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Looks decent but about the last thing we need by the time he would be ready to play.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
RHD Maxim Strbak
6'3 and 198 lbs

Here is a Sportsnet blurb on his play at the WJC-20:

Maxim Strbak, Slovakia
The 6-foot-2, 198-pound right shot defenceman logged a ton of minutes for Slovakia. He was used in all situations (second PP unit) and was up to task in the defensive zone. There wasn’t a single easy matchup for Strbak in this game. When captain Nemec was in the penalty box Strbak was deployed in his place on the first penalty kill unit. He’s calm under pressure, pushes back physically, and provides some secondary offence. Strbak ended the game with 22:12 in ice time and over 35 shifts. His draft ranking has had him anywhere from the mid-second round to the early third round. I’m betting he goes between 35-40 after this display.​

He's a 17-year old who played in the WJC-20 for Slovakia.

We definitely could use another big RHD that we could stash for a couple of years in the NCAA to learn how to play defense and get bigger.

Any thoughts on him?

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
RHD Maxim Strbak
6'3 and 198 lbs

Maxim Strbak, Slovakia
The 6-foot-2, 198-pound right shot defenceman logged a ton of minutes for Slovakia. He was used in all situations (second PP unit) and was up to task in the defensive zone. There wasn’t a single easy matchup for Strbak in this game. When captain Nemec was in the penalty box Strbak was deployed in his place on the first penalty kill unit. He’s calm under pressure, pushes back physically, and provides some secondary offence. Strbak ended the game with 22:12 in ice time and over 35 shifts. His draft ranking has had him anywhere from the mid-second round to the early third round. I’m betting he goes between 35-40 after this display.​

We definitely could use another big RHD that we could stash for a couple of years in the NCAA to learn how to play defense and get bigger.

Any thoughts on him?
He sounds solid and like someone we need but with the lack of Dmen in the 1st round I bet he goes higher than he is projected

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
RHD Maxim Strbak
6'3 and 198 lbs

Maxim Strbak, Slovakia

Any thoughts on him?

I like him as a second round target, possibly late first. There is a very strong basis there for developing a steady defensive minute muncher. He really showed some real compete level at the WJC, to go along with pretty strong physical tools.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Smith maybe, I would maybe see about dropping back and grabbing Barlow or Sale and an extra pick.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I don't want Barlow personally with our first pick at least.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
I don't want Barlow personally with our first pick at least.
I’d only go for it if they traded back to like 8, I think he would be an incredible winger for Z and I like the rounded knees of his game.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Who do you all go with if Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, and Michkov are off the board?
Just as a follow up to this, would you guys say that the person you answered this first question to has the highest upside of all of our young forwards?

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
McTavish wasn’t a reach. he was the BPA for the Ducks scouts.

If Barlow is the BPA for the Ducks then they are picking closer to 10. No way he is in the top 5 players in this draft and that’s where the Ducks will likely be picking. Even if they miss on the top 4, the second group of guys are on the same level as where the top guys were last year.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

LePerilsofPerreault

Mar 20, 2022
Tryna get away, man
Just as a follow up to this, would you guys say that the person you answered this first question to has the highest upside of all of our young forwards?
We could get someone within our top prospects’ echelon but it’d be hard to put them above our main guys yet imo

McTavish wasn’t a reach. he was the BPA for the Ducks scouts.

If Barlow is the BPA for the Ducks then they are picking closer to 10. No way he is in the top 5 players in this draft and that’s where the Ducks will likely be picking. Even if they miss on the top 4, the second group of guys are on the same level as where the top guys were last year.
McTavish was a reach to fans at 3, Barlow is ranked 8th by McKenzie and I think 5-10 is pretty interchangeable. He isn’t chopped liver compared to a Benson or Yager.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Sorry but using our highest pick in a while.... in an absolutely stacked draft for someone like Barlow because he might be good fit next to Zegras doesn't cut it for me personally. I want the best line driving player available period. I wouldn't mind him after the top 10. McTavish has way more play driving than Barlow IMO. If we somehow pick at #10ish than I'd think about it but I don't see that as a realistic possibility at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad