Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft (mod warning 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah i know its early but 2022 draft discussion started pretty quickly too last year.
So far its #1 Bedard and #2 Mitchkov but after that what are players you are interested in for the Ducks ?
I don't see Bedard falling like Wright did at all. Who will be this years Slaf and Cooley ?

Blanket warning to everyone - the season is over, the active tanking is over, and everyone needs to remember how to get along.

Polite discussions of different viewpoints is fine. Assertions as to who is a good fan, who is a bad fan, and most particularly trolling behavior is going to result in thread bans and warnings. The vast majority of posters here are great about this. There are a few of you, on both sides of this issue, who are trying to start things, and I would advise you to carefully consider if that snarky comment you just made is worth being your last post in a thread. I would advise the folks who think that making an even snarkier response to make that same assessment. Neither of your posts will be seen by anyone else for long regardless.

It is perfectly fine to not understand how anyone could root for the team to lose. It is perfectly fine to not understand how losing has strong benefits to the franchise king term. There are gaping holes in BOTH positions, that may be discussed and debated…POLITELY.

We are all Ducks fans. Time to remember that and stop being at each other’s throats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Honest question, I haven't heard much about Carlsson and all the hype seems to be around Fantilli, why would you want Carlsson? Or rather, I guess what does he bring over Fantilli? I've seen some highlight clips of both, but it's tough to get a comparison from those. Between working 3 jobs and getting ready to move, I haven't had much time to read up on those two.

The few factors that are in favor of Carlsson are that he's thriving playing in a top men's league as a 17-year old (turned 18 on Dec 26th), almost double his offensive production in fewer games this year in the SHL, and skating on a bigger surface. What I do like about Carlsson are his possession skills in securing the puck first, which often means shielding the puck with his body first to win space and then possess the puck. He does a lot of little things offensively and defensively that go unnoticed unless someone points them out, which is what EP did in a YouTube video. Of course, there was his WJC-20 performance as well.

There could be better chemistry for the team with big Carlsson playing with Zegras. Carlsson can do the gritty work of puck retrieval while having the offensive mind to find Z.

I still have hopes of reuniting pairings - Bedard gets to play on McTavish's wing and Terry finds his way back with Zegras.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The few factors that are in favor of Carlsson are that he's thriving playing in a top men's league as a 17-year old (turned 18 on Dec 26th), almost double his offensive production in fewer games this year in the SHL, and skating on a bigger surface. What I do like about Carlsson are his possession skills in securing the puck first, which often means shielding the puck with his body first to win space and then possess the puck. He does a lot of little things offensively and defensively that go unnoticed unless someone points them out, which is what EP did in a YouTube video. Of course, there was his WJC-20 performance as well.

There could be better chemistry for the team with big Carlsson playing with Zegras. Carlsson can do the gritty work of puck retrieval while having the offensive mind to find Z.

I still have hopes of reuniting pairings - Bedard gets to play on McTavish's wing and Terry finds his way back with Zegras.

I’m curious how close Fantilli and Carlsson are. I read the report from Bob, and they still are both projected to be 1C’s in the league, but you make a very good point. Carlsson is already playing against men, that should hopefully make his transition to the NHL easier. Also, I know it’s a small sample size, but Carlsson impressed me more in the WJC than Fantill did.

Now if we get Bedard, I’m flying out to Anaheim, going to rent out one of those breweries and invite all you guys and we will celebrate all night long, lol.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Honest question, I haven't heard much about Carlsson and all the hype seems to be around Fantilli, why would you want Carlsson? Or rather, I guess what does he bring over Fantilli? I've seen some highlight clips of both, but it's tough to get a comparison from those. Between working 3 jobs and getting ready to move, I haven't had much time to read up on those two.
his performance so far playing in the swedish pro league as a teenager is what impresses me most. excellent puck handling skills, vision, and he's a great skater. he's also 6'3

Reactions: lwvs84

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I’m curious how close Fantilli and Carlsson are. I read the report from Bob, and they still are both projected to be 1C’s in the league, but you make a very good point. Carlsson is already playing against men, that should hopefully make his transition to the NHL easier. Also, I know it’s a small sample size, but Carlsson impressed me more in the WJC than Fantill did.

Now if we get Bedard, I’m flying out to Anaheim, going to rent out one of those breweries and invite all you guys and we will celebrate all night long, lol.

I think team Canada did Fantilli dirty by keeping him on the bottom-6, eventually being stuck on the 4th line. And yet, Fantilli found a way to score 5 points in limited role. I like Fantilli's speed and tenacity, but maybe team Canada's coaches felt his off-puck game wasn't there yet to be in the top-6.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I actually have started to slide a bit to Carlsson on who id rather have (and im a big Michigan wolverine sport fan) Id prob have my list something like

Bedard
Carlsson
Fantilli
Benson
Michkov

But i go back and fourth with Carlsson and fantilli. I think michkov is 2nd best player in draft, but i think id take Carlsson Fantilli and benson over him with our pick.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Based on what?

If anything, size is what he seems partial to when you consider the draft last year.
Quote from him from an OCRegister article:

“We’re not as fast as the rest of the NHL, that’s just my viewpoint,” Verbeek said during a conference call. “We have to make improvements there.”

Warren and Gaucher were the #1 and #2 fastest skaters for the forward skate at the CHL top prospects game.

On mobile so not sure if link will work:

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Quote from him from an OCRegister article:

“We’re not as fast as the rest of the NHL, that’s just my viewpoint,” Verbeek said during a conference call. “We have to make improvements there.”

Warren and Gaucher were the #1 and #2 fastest skaters for the forward skate at the CHL top prospects game.

On mobile so not sure if link will work:

Yah his coach in juniors has said that Warren can already play against men. And his skating is phenomenal. Doesn’t surprise me he hit those speed times.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Beckett

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Im a big Carlsson fan. What I like most is his IQ, just has a great mind for the game in all areas. His feet arent as quick as Fantilli but his hands are better. Also he's a big kid, not just tall but has a legit mans frame already. Pretty much the only thing he doesnt have is blazing speed, but I think his skating will improve and depending on how much, he totally could be a top 5 C in the league someday.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Im a big Carlsson fan. What I like most is his IQ, just has a great mind for the game in all areas. His feet arent as quick as Fantilli but his hands are better. Also he's a big kid, not just tall but has a legit mans frame already. Pretty much the only thing he doesnt have is blazing speed, but I think his skating will improve and depending on how much, he totally could be a top 5 C in the league someday.
I like him a hair over Fantilli at this exact moment but it's so close it could change after I see more. I agree with you I'd take Carlsson #2 if the draft was tomorrow.

Last edited:

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
I like him a hair over Fantilli at this exact moment but it's so close it could change after I see more. I agree with you I'd take Carlsson #2 if the draft was tomorrow.
My impression of it is that Carlsson is a bit more skilled and visionary, while Fantilli may be a bit more well rounded, grindy, and physical.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I did some more research work on Carlsson and stumbled upon EP's January meeting, top-64 ranking. Fantilli and Carlsson are very close and split amongst the EP staff.

The ones that like Fantilli a little more like where he's going to be in the future. In short, he's fast and tenacious, but not yet refined. The cons against Fantilli, besides not being refined, is that if he's not playing hero, then he disappears. Mitch Brown loves the Michigan program as he cites that as a significant reason why Fantilli will be even better into the future is the tipping point. Brown's got a point there with Power and Beniers. David St. Louis also identifies Michigan being a top powerhouse and doesn't know how well Fantilli would be like if his environment didn't have very talented players and support staff (on a separate Fantilli breakdown).

The ones that like Carlsson are in love with mature game, including off-the-puck work. The skating has improved to average, according to one of their scouts, Lassi. The European leagues can produce some very well rounded prospects if they take the tutelage. I like how both McTavish and Othmann have developed in the NL-B, which elevated their game and draft status tremendously. Both were able to translate what they learned and become far more mature players that dominated the OHL in their D+1 season.

It is "potential to be refined into the big future" vs "maturity". What I do find odd is why isn't Carlsson thought of potentially having a high ceiling as well?

I think it's a win-win with either one, tbh. The worst case scenario is you have a 2nd liner.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Basically on same page(and I like fantilli and benson a lot).

If we come out with bedard carlsson fantilli or benson I’d be stoked.

you have any targets in late 1st early 2nd? Really hoping for musty /zeimmer/stramel. Also wouldn’t mind Reinbacher but I feel he goes earlier.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Basically on same page(and I like fantilli and benson a lot).

If we come out with bedard carlsson fantilli or benson I’d be stoked.

you have any targets in late 1st early 2nd? Really hoping for musty /zeimmer/stramel. Also wouldn’t mind Reinbacher but I feel he goes earlier.
We don't have another first yet so it would depend on where it lands.... I think Dmitri Simashev would fit nicely with our group

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We don't have another first yet so it would depend on where it lands.... I think Dmitri Simashev would fit nicely with our group
I feel like PV gunna be aggressive to get back in 1st round. I contemplated Simashev… agree with that he’s good fit with what we already have

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I swear I’m not stalking the Ducks, I swear it, but I’m watching the Kloten game right now and it seems like the Ducks are scouting David Reinbacher in person today.

(Well, I don’t speak German, but I heard “Reinbacher” “Anaheim Ducks” and “scout” in the same sentence and put two and two together.)

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I swear I’m not stalking the Ducks, I swear it, but I’m watching the Kloten game right now and it seems like the Ducks are scouting David Reinbacher in person today.

(Well, I don’t speak German, but I heard “Reinbacher” “Anaheim Ducks” and “scout” in the same sentence and put two and two together.)
I don't see anyway we get him. I don't think we will get a second 1st round pick that high.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I’d be in favor of using as high of a pick as a second rounder on a goalie this year, with Dostal graduating, we could use another goalie with high upside. Down year for Clang unfortunately

Reactions: Beckett

Beckett

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I’d be in favor of using as high of a pick as a second rounder on a goalie this year, with Dostal graduating, we could use another goalie with high upside. Down year for Clang unfortunately

I'd grab Hrabal or Bjarnason with a second. Hrabal for sure he looks like he could be a good one

bsu

Sep 27, 2017

Click the tweet for the full list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad