2023 Free Agency/UFA Targets

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
None, because he avoids them. That’s the point :laugh:
So a nothing statement with nothing to base it on. Got it...

Keep hoping for more Glendenings to fill up the roster. If we acquire enough 4th liners it'll force the kids with talent into the top 6...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Keep hoping for more Glendenings to fill up the roster. If we acquire enough 4th liners it'll force the kids with talent into the top 6...

Are you arguing for Laine in Detroit?

It's really difficult to tell if you just want to dismantle the discussion or if you're sincerely interested in anything constructive at this point.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'd take a shot on Laine. People forget he's only 25. He's averaged 35 goals/season.

I think the resistance comes from the fact Columbus paid a significant price for him and he hasn't lived up to his billing as a top scorer in that time.

Sure, if you're getting him for a discounted value and think he can return to 40 goals, that's a smart option.

But if you're paying the same premium that Columbus did, you're going to have to accept it might end up being a lateral move at best, and at worst Laine never becomes more than his current 30 goal pace with few other upsides.

He's young. He has a great shot. But he has a lot of potential to underwhelm. Way more risk than most guys his age with a 40 goal season.

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007

You packed three argumentative fallacies into one post, well done.

Sorry you’re not getting what you want out of NHL roster makeup. No need to take it out on me :laugh:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Let's try this a different way then.

Say Detroit called about Laine. Provide a rough ballpark for what you think Columbus would ask in return.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Laine is not lazy, he's just not a gritty two way player so his play style has created a myth that he's lazy. He's actually always been a hard worker. Sure he has flaws in his game, but being lazy is not one of them. I doubt he's available anyway so it's all moot.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I don’t think there’s any chance CBJ trades Laine. With Carlsson/Smith their core is set with Laine/Johnson/Gaudreau/Sillinger and Jiricek/Werenski

Reactions: Winger98

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Laine is not lazy, he's just not a gritty two way player so his play style has created a myth that he's lazy. He's actually always been a hard worker. Sure he has flaws in his game, but being lazy is not one of them. I doubt he's available anyway so it's all moot.
Laine himself has admitted in the past that he doesn't work hard enough, so that kinda disrupts the narrative about a myth. Now, recently, there have been media pieces in the past year that have talked about him improving that part of his game, and even becoming a leader in the Columbus locker room. Perhaps he has, and that's great if true. But his reputation for being lazy was originally born of him.... being lazy.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Laine himself has admitted in the past that he doesn't work hard enough, so that kinda disrupts the narrative about a myth. Now, recently, there have been media pieces in the past year that have talked about him improving that part of his game, and even becoming a leader in the Columbus locker room. Perhaps he has, and that's great if true. But his reputation for being lazy was originally born of him.... being lazy.

Maybe the millions in his bank account have made him lazy then. Growing up he was a hard worker.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Maybe the millions in his bank account have made him lazy then. Growing up he was a hard worker.
I suspect some part of it, not sure how much, was the environment in Winnipeg. Knowing that their locker room is somewhat of a mess, I guess it's not surprising he may have turned things around in Cbus.

Reactions: SoupNazi and Kibe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

There is at least some trend of guys who were healthy scratches for not playing the right way and/or rumored character concerns that did not last long under Yzerman.

Drouin, DeAngelo, AA, Mantha, Vrana

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Sign Tarasenko instead.

No trade assets and less baggage. At his point he wouldnt have the same upside but he can still score goals and we need at least 1 top 6 fwd.

Reactions: Bench

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Trade Berggren and/or wallinder 9th and 41st for Connor.

Sign Tarasenko and Severson.

Grab a 1b type of goalie

Tarasenko Larkin Raymond
Connor Copp Rasmussen
Fabbri Veleno Perron
Kubalik xx/Kasper Zadina

Walman Seider
Ed Severrson
Maatta Chairot

Reactions: lilidk

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Sign Tarasenko instead.

No trade assets and less baggage. At his point he wouldnt have the same upside but he can still score goals and we need at least 1 top 6 fwd.
Nope. We don't need a top 6 forward. We have a ton of 2nd liners. We need a top line forward. We have 1 and one in training.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Trade Berggren and/or wallinder 9th and 41st for Connor.

Sign Tarasenko and Severson.

Grab a 1b type of goalie

Tarasenko Larkin Raymond
Connor Copp Rasmussen
Fabbri Veleno Perron
Kubalik xx/Kasper Zadina

Walman Seider
Ed Severrson
Maatta Chairot
Actually not a bad lineup at all. take zadina out and put soderblom there, make that the third line and the veleno one the 4th, and we could have something.

Would much rather just give winnipeg bost 2024 1st than Wallinder/9th this year. Not happy about losing berggren but connor is worth it. (now go out and trade/sign debrincat :o )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad