2023 Free Agency/UFA Targets

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Tampa 2015-16:
6 ELC kids were +150/180 days on NHL roster. That will mean NHL regulars. There was even more on rotation (Drouin, Koekkoek, Gourde)

Tampa 2016-17:
ELC kids
- Vasilevskiy
- Drouin
- Paquette
- Point
- Nesterov
Rotation: (Erne, Koekkoek, Dotchin, Peca etc.)

Tampa 2017-18:
ELC kids
- Sergachev
- Point
- Erne
- Cirelli
- Conacher (Standard, but 800k)
Rotation: 12 players with 1M level or less contracts.

Tampa 2018-19:
ELC kids.
- Sergachev
- Point
- Cirelli
- Joseph
- Cernak

They seem to have had 5 ELC players all the time on the rise on top.

Tampa 2019-20:
- Sergachev
- Cirelli
- Cernak
- Stephens
- Joseph

Last edited:

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
How about some names from the unsigned draft picks that will be available on June 1st? Here are some I would ve interested in taking a look at:

Conner MacDonald (TB), Jayden Grubbe (NYR), Conner Roulette (Dallas), and Justin Robidas (Carolina).

I think all are 20-21 years old and can fit GR to see if they can make it to the NHL. Worth a look, IMO

Reactions: 13to40 and Henkka

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
And 5-6 world class players at the top of the roster. We have 2? No amount of mediocre depth players in the middle bridges that gap.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Would the Wings be interested in one or Toews or Byram from Colorado? If so who/what would be available?
Toews would be awesome.
But we have zero flexibility to add a Left D.

Walman and Maatta were just re signed.
Edvinsson is our top prospect/NHL bound.
Chiarot is on an awful contract that probably can’t be moved.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
We should be interested, but they aren't trading them.

They will trade Girard.

Not necessarily. Girard likely lands the smallest package, currently has the most team control and is still a solid middle pair defenseman. If they get a reasonable offer I’m sure they take it, but if they get a great offer for Bo or Toews it might need to be considered

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
We’re adding Killhorn to a 3yr 16M deal. It’s too obvious. Welcome to the next evolutionary pickup of Fil and Nams.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Give me Seider at 8 x 8.1 yesterday.

Most definitely, I don't think we will get him that cheap. Maybe 8.5-8.75, if we are lucky and he wants to give the team a deal. But even then his deal will end up being a top 5 contract to have locked in at that price.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Toews would be awesome.
But we have zero flexibility to add a Left D.

Walman and Maatta were just re signed.
Edvinsson is our top prospect/NHL bound.
Chiarot is on an awful contract that probably can’t be moved.

Vancouver will want Maatta when they realize Hronek is worthless without him, lol.

Trade Chiarot to Arizona, they literally have no D.

Regardless, the team would wind up committing too much money to D, I think Ed will be better than Mo. What this team really needs is a right handed version of Maatta so Ed doesn't get stuck with a crappy partner.

We’re adding Killhorn to a 3yr 16M deal. It’s too obvious. Welcome to the next evolutionary pickup of Fil and Nams.
It's gonna cost a lot more than that to convince him to play for a crappy team, he's a really competitive player. Probably $6 - 7. I can see him signing for $5M for a playoff team, but not a lottery team.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
It's gonna cost a lot more than that to convince him to play for a crappy team, he's a really competitive player. Probably $6 - 7. I can see him signing for $5M for a playoff team, but not a lottery team.

I chalked in a handful of key factors when coming up with that incredibly precise and scientific assessment:

He’ll trust Yzerman and Lalonde because of his prior relationship with both of them.

The Wings will offer a third (or fourth) year to the 33yo that other teams can’t or won’t given him more career certainty.

Any contending team isn’t going to spend what precious and little cap space they have on him - so he might desire to play for a contender and get 5M, I have a had time thinking of a team who would make that investment, if he just wants a to play for a contender, he would sign back with TBL at a hometown discount (which he still might).

I’m better he’ll get term and a slight raise over his last deal (4.5) with a GM and Coach who he knows and trusts and the promise to be the leader in the locker room for the young kids, yadda yadda and that’ll seal the deal!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I chalked in a handful of key factors when coming up with that incredibly precise and scientific assessment:

He’ll trust Yzerman and Lalonde because of his prior relationship with both of them.

The Wings will offer a third (or fourth) year to the 33yo that other teams can’t or won’t given him more career certainty.

Any contending team isn’t going to spend what precious and little cap space they have on him - so he might desire to play for a contender and get 5M, I have a had time thinking of a team who would make that investment, if he just wants a to play for a contender, he would sign back with TBL at a hometown discount (which he still might).

I’m better he’ll get term and a slight raise over his last deal (4.5) with a GM and Coach who he knows and trusts and the promise to be the leader in the locker room for the young kids, yadda yadda and that’ll seal the deal!

Despite his age, Killorn is a guy any playoff team would love to have, especially at $5M. There are teams with some cap space, like the Isles since Varlamov's contract expired or the Kraken where his former teammate Gourde is playing.

If he goes to a lottery team, he's gonna do it strictly for money. Probably $7M ask, not sure if he gets that. It's his last big contract.

He may indeed have a good relationship with Fester and Stevie, but one look at the roster... does he really want to be on a second line with Copp as center? That's a hard sell.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I just saw an article that indicates Pierre Luc-Dubois is likely to get moved as he has 1 more season until he becomes a UFA and has indicated he wants to leave Winnipeg. The article initially said the reason he wants to leave is to be closer to home in Quebec but Colorado, Boston and potentially Los Angeles are listed as destinations where he could end up.

We aren't any further from Quebec than most of those locations. Would you have any interest in him? And if so, how much would you be willing to give up? I like the fact he has one year left so Winnipeg will be motivated to move him, and it would be nice to have a season to see how he fits in before offering him a new contract.

Also, if we end up having a bad season we could trade him and get a nice return.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I just saw an article that indicates Pierre Luc-Dubois is likely to get moved as he has 1 more season until he becomes a UFA and has indicated he wants to leave Winnipeg. The article initially said the reason he wants to leave is to be closer to home in Quebec but Colorado, Boston and potentially Los Angeles are listed as destinations where he could end up.

We aren't any further from Quebec than most of those locations. Would you have any interest in him? And if so, how much would you be willing to give up? I like the fact he has one year left so Winnipeg will be motivated to move him, and it would be nice to have a season to see how he fits in before offering him a new contract.

Also, if we end up having a bad season we could trade him and get a nice return.
He wanted out of Columbus, he wants out of Winnipeg. Seems like a diva from what I’ve heard about him. Would prefer not to be the next team he wants out of.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
He wanted out of Columbus, he wants out of Winnipeg. Seems like a diva from what I’ve heard about him. Would prefer not to be the next team he wants out of.
Could not agree more, he doesn't seem like he puts the team first, always doing what's best for himself. Rather Target Connor/Ehlers

Reactions: Gniwder

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
That is painting a picture with a broad stroke.

He never said he wanted out of Winnipeg. It’s reported he is not Interested in re-signing with them. If he wants to hit free agency and explore all his options and take complete control over his life and career. I can understand that.

In Columbus he was constantly in Tororella’s dog house. Go back and watch hard knocks with the Rangers and see how he treated Brian Boyle (And you can bet that was only half of it). If you had to deal with a boss like that everyday… I think you might see his viewpoint there.

Could not agree more, he doesn't seem like he puts the team first, always doing what's best for himself. Rather Target Connor/Ehlers
Dubois was a beast in the playoffs. Played with more heart than anyone else. Definitely showed up for the team then.

Admittedly it does seem on the surface that he has a desire to play for Les Canadiens. So no doubt it would be too risky, unless there are assurances he would extend.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

I think the differentiation is those teams are okay with Dubois as a short term piece.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think the differentiation is those teams are okay with Dubois as a short term piece.
Well we need a center and Dubois seems to fit that need, just probably not as a long term solution. Would you acquire him for next year with the idea of trading him at the deadline? Of course cost would be the big factor here, but it seems like cost would be pretty minimal, yeah?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Well we need a center and Dubois seems to fit that need, just probably not as a long term solution. Would you acquire him for next year with the idea of trading him at the deadline? Of course cost would be the big factor here, but it seems like cost would be pretty minimal, yeah?

In theory, I like it.

In reality I’m skeptical that we could flip him for more than we paid but like you said, it all comes to price.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So does Domi if you want a head case, and Domi will be cheaper.....

Fester doesn't seem to tolerate personality issues, so neither should be on the team. Dubois won't have any trade value if he's healthy scratched. Remember we're talking about the guy that scratched Vrana.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I don’t think there is a point on signing him unless you are competing for the cup next year. All signs point to him absolutely wanting to play in La Belle Province asap.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
So does Domi if you want a head case, and Domi will be cheaper.....

Fester doesn't seem to tolerate personality issues, so neither should be on the team. Dubois won't have any trade value if he's healthy scratched. Remember we're talking about the guy that scratched Vrana.
I can't claim to know anything more than he doesn't want to sign long-term in Winnipeg. Every year other than the Covid year he has played 70 or more games. So he's been in the lineup plenty. I remember when Winnipeg had to move Trouba and many of us expected him to hit Free Agency where we were surely the front runner to sign him, but he signed a long-term deal with New York instead.

On the ice he plays a game we seem to value and he's 6'4" guy who is close to a 30 goal, 60 point guy. It seems like he could be had for a discount and worst case is you flip him at the deadline.

This is mostly a thought experiment, I am not saying we must trade for him, only pointing out the availability of a 30 goal, top 2 center which is something we all seem to agree that we sorely need.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011

For what it's worth, his girlfriend is from Grosse Pointe and went to UofM. He comes to Michigan to train with Larkin and other UofM/NTDP alumni in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad