GDT: 2023 Draft Lottery - 8PM ET - ESPN, Sportsnet, TVAS: Chicago #1, Anaheim #2, Columbus #3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
IMO, I don't think it's rigged at all. Chicago getting it after the scandal, some pretty dumb recent moves and not even a decade removed from their dynasty run just seems like crap luck of the draw.

If it were rigged, Bettman probably would've wanted the pick to go to Columbus or Anaheim, or most likely Arizona...

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
IMO, I don't think it's rigged at all. Chicago getting it after the scandal, some pretty dumb recent moves and not even a decade removed from their dynasty run just seems like crap luck of the draw.

If it were rigged, Bettman probably would've wanted the pick to go to Columbus or Anaheim, or most likely Arizona...

Just theoretically, something like this could in many ways repair some of the damage of previous years, in terms of public perception and focus.

Bedard comes in next year, that's all that's being talked about suddenly. People forget about the rest. Bedard becomes a huge star, a decade from now no one will be mentioning Kyle Beach. It's just how it goes.

So I kind of think it's the opposite. That Bettman and the NHL would REALLY want Bedard in Chicago. A new face for a "remade" franchise.

A squeeky clean superstar. Can't ask for much more than that if you want people to perceive the team and market a different way.

Not suggesting it actually was rigged But if you look back in this post of all the many, many people who, before the announcement, stated something along the lines of "Bet you chicago wins because its rigged", well, there are a TON of those comments. And then it happened. And I'm sure many who didn't comment about it prior, were thinking it.

In that sense, the ball falling how it did is kind of bad luck for the nhl and perception of the lottery.

But I think the NHL is more worried about perception of the overall league and sport first and foremost.

So I'm sure, if it wasn't rigged, which it probably wasn't, that they are grinning ear to ear that Bedard will end up with the Hawks right now. Especially with the Beach stuff.

It's just that This has happened numerous times in previous years. I've never seen so many people predict the winner though, with such accuracy. Not even when the Rangers got Laf, which of course hasn;t worked out at all. It's just a bit, well, odd I suppose. Low probability that this is how things worked out.

monkforasia

May 8, 2023
Hi All. Just wanted to come on again and say I'm very happy that the Blackhawks won the lottery. Thank you and have a good day. Best of luck to your team's draft.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Mar 6, 2012
Looking forward to the Penguins and Lightning winning the next two draft lottos. Then maybe give the Oilers another 3 or 4 1st overalls. Then just cycle back through that.

Let's just watch the same ****ing teams and the same fans get all the new toys, every year, year after year. So much fun.

I'm not even watching the playoffs this year for the first time in about 20 years because the NHL has such crap TV deals and they make it so hard to even watch without cable. Maybe I'll just cancel my season tickets and go to a completely different sport.

I'm just so tired of watching every other franchise get these special superstar players while so many teams are required to cobble together teams out of scraps and leftovers.

Yes, it's selfish, but I want a ****ing superstar player. It feels like it's been forever. Spread the ****ing love around. BUT NO, IT'S **** DAMNED ****ing CHICAGO, because of course it is.

It's always a rival. ALWAYS.

Reactions: Levard

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
This was probably already said by someone but I looked into the combinations allocated to each team and after the 3rd number came up, only 6 teams still had a shot at Bedard when drawing the last number which was 9: Anaheim x2, Nashville, St Louis, Chicago, Arizona, San Jose.
Every team had about a 14% chance, except Anaheim who had 28%.
Just thought that was interesting 🤷🏻‍♂️

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
I assume reading comprehension is also a bridge too far then? Because the entire point was that the Hawks should not be blamed for this situation as many are. I didn't blame anyone other than Aldrich for the actual incident..

My other comment was simply asserting that we are ill preparing young adults for the real world by inducing this extended period of immaturity, which is objectively the case if we look at actual statistics. Things like when people move out of their parents house, when they get their first job, when they get married and have children. And of course there are many variables. But some of those variables have to do with societal perception today of young ADULTS as "children". And that is a much, much bigger problem, all encompassing issue, than this one incident.

Aldrich is culpable for this incident. But that also means the Hawks aren't.

I actually stated plainly that Kyle isn't to blame either. So the opposite of whatever it is you are suggesting.

The fact that I find Kyle's reaction and actions strange and perhaps naive, does not mean I place the blame on him. That;s gaslighting everything I actually did say.

I think my reading comprehension is fine. Saying you don't blame Kyle, but then following it up with questioning his reaction to the incident and talking about how guys you know would have "laid him out" undermines the not blaming Kyle part. Likewise, saying you "don't blame anyone other than Aldrich for the incident" but then going on about society's coddling of young men and how it removed responsibility and agency from people in Kyle's situation does the same.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
20230509_140244.jpg

Mar 6, 2012
The entire point of the draft and the draft lottery is to ensure that teams go through cycles of success and failure and that long beleaguered franchises get the players the need to stay competitive. Going on a historic 10 year run with three cup wins only to have such a special generational player fall right back in their lap after winning the draft lotto to kick off all of their recent success in the first place is just rich.

Some real cosmic justice there. It's so frustrating as a fan of the sport. This is not how this is supposed to work.

They system has completely and utterly failed. If I was a fan of Vancouver or Columbus or Arizona or any other team that can never quite get there and I saw the most successful franchise of the last 15 years or so get handed this gift wrapped franchise player AGAIN, for the second time in 15 years, I mean, it just ****ing sucks.

Reactions: Vukotal Recall

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I think my reading comprehension is fine. Saying you don't blame Kyle, but then following it up with questioning his reaction to the incident and talking about how guys you know would have "laid him out" undermines the not blaming Kyle part. Likewise, saying you "don't blame anyone other than Aldrich for the incident" but then going on about society's coddling of young men and how it removed responsibility and agency from people in Kyle's situation does the same.

Ah no, that's a common logical fallacy. You are basically conflating what you perceive as insensitivity with me applying blame, these are two different things.

It's plainly stating I don't understand his reaction or actions and I don't. I simply cannot put myself in his shoes to the extent of empathizing with his account no more than I could of say someone joining a cult. But I don't blame Kyle or society for the incident, no more than I would blame someone who gets duped by a con man, or a lying salesperson. No more than I would blame society or a person for getting caught up in a cult. These are two separate things. And just because I don't understand how it came to that, how it played out how it did, doesn't mean I blame him.

The point about the societal coddling of young adults, which again, can be objectively assessed to an extent using empirical metric, is blaming society for ill preparing these young adults to deal with real world problem. Not for the problems themselves. Someone who is ill prepared to handle a situation obviously has less responsibility in that situation. And there is a significant difference. If you can't grasp the nuance and that difference, that's a you problem that I can't help you with.

But no, didn't blame Kyle or society for the incident.

Ohlle

Aug 19, 2017
I hope he pulls a Lindros and says he won't play for Blackhawks and goes to Ducks. I heard he is an animal lover

Mar 6, 2012
The Tampa Bay Lightning don't have a first round pick until 2026.

Hey, never say never. They'll probably rewrite the draft lotto rules in the next year or two to make sure that everyone* has an equal shot.

*and by everyone I mean super successful big market teams that have already had mountains of good fortune befall them, they go right to the front of the pack. Just like the system is supposed to work.

Reactions: Levard

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Hey, never say never. They'll probably rewrite the draft lotto rules in the next year or two to make sure that everyone* has an equal shot.

*and by everyone I mean super successful big market teams that have already had mountains of good fortune befall them, they go right to the front of the pack. Just like the system is supposed to work.
The Lightning got Stamkos 1st overall in '08, then Hedman 2nd overall the next year. Didn't win a cup until 2020.

Just because a franchise gets a great player doesn't always translate to instant success (Cup), in fact I'd argue it very rarely does.

Reactions: brakeyawself

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
The Lightning got Stamkos 1st overall in '08, then Hedman 2nd overall the next year. Didn't win a cup until 2020.

Just because a franchise gets a great player doesn't always translate to instant success (Cup), in fact I'd argue it very rarely does.

NHL fans incessantly whine about tanking

But drafting first more often than not leads to nothing

Reactions: RDTBay4

monkforasia

May 8, 2023
The entire point of the draft and the draft lottery is to ensure that teams go through cycles of success and failure and that long beleaguered franchises get the players the need to stay competitive. Going on a historic 10 year run with three cup wins only to have such a special generational player fall right back in their lap after winning the draft lotto to kick off all of their recent success in the first place is just rich.

Some real cosmic justice there. It's so frustrating as a fan of the sport. This is not how this is supposed to work.

They system has completely and utterly failed. If I was a fan of Vancouver or Columbus or Arizona or any other team that can never quite get there and I saw the most successful franchise of the last 15 years or so get handed this gift wrapped franchise player AGAIN, for the second time in 15 years, I mean, it just ****ing sucks.
Are you saying the nhl should rig it so they don't win?

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Ah no, that's a common logical fallacy. You are basically conflating what you perceive as insensitivity with me applying blame, these are two different things.

It's plainly stating I don't understand his reaction or actions and I don't. I simply cannot put myself in his shoes to the extent of empathizing with his account no more than I could of say someone joining a cult. But I don't blame Kyle or society for the incident, no more than I would blame someone who gets duped by a con man, or a lying salesperson. No more than I would blame society or a person for getting caught up in a cult. These are two separate things. And just because I don't understand how it came to that, how it played out how it did, doesn't mean I blame him.

The point about the societal coddling of young adults, which again, can be objectively assessed to an extent using empirical metric, is blaming society for ill preparing these young adults to deal with real world problem. Not for the problems themselves. Someone who is ill prepared to handle a situation obviously has less responsibility in that situation. And there is a significant difference. If you can't grasp the nuance and that difference, that's a you problem that I can't help you with.

But no, didn't blame Kyle or society for the incident.

Funny you call me out for reading comprehension and then completely miss my point. I never said you blamed him. I am saying that your comments after saying you don't blame him undermine that very statement.

Its a bit like saying "I am not a racist but..." and then going on to say something racist. The thing you say after "I am not a racist" kinda undermines that statement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad