GDT: 2023 Draft Lottery - 8PM ET - ESPN, Sportsnet, TVAS: Chicago #1, Anaheim #2, Columbus #3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
As a Blackhawk fan, I was disgusted when I heard about what happened to Beach and I eagerly read the report to understand what went wrong and who deserves the bulk of the blame. The amount of misinformation on this site on the subject, from people who clearly don't know all the facts, is frustrating to say the least.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So Anaheim fans, how you all holding up?

We’ve been watching highlights of Carlsson and Fantilli before this. We knew this was going to happen. After a night sleep I’m fine with it. Ducks are further ahead in their rebuild, and Fantilli/Carlsson fit our needs.

As least we won the 2nd lottery drawing, and not drop to 3rd.

Mar 6, 2012
Even without the letter of recommendation part, the failure to report him to the authorities and their efforts to keep it all hidden made it possible for him to end up in another situation where he was in a position to harm others. That is on the Blackhawks.

I hate the Blackhawks, I really do. But it’s a fun kind of hate… sports rivalries are fun. They make everything more exciting and are one of the best parts of being an NHL fan. It has to be hard for the fans, because they had nothing to do with any of it. What are they supposed to do? Constantly rubbing the incident in the faces of the fans accomplishes nothing. There should have been stronger repercussions for the people involved, but a terrible act and the subsequent follow up should only be held against the actual people involved, not the entire team or the entire fanbase.

Anyway, I don’t think it’s actually rigged, but it still sucks seeing a team that has enjoyed so much recent success get such a massive gift dropped right in their lap. They’re like 3-4 years removed from enjoying one of the most storied and triumphant dynasties in the history of the game, one that was kicked off by another draft lotto victory that also landed them one of the best players of this era. As a fan of another team, as a fan of the league, it’s a tough pill to swallow. It always feels like the same teams get all of the good fortune. over and over and over…

Last edited:
Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Even without the letter of recommendation part, the failure to report him to the authorities and their efforts to keep it all hidden made it possible for him to end up in another situation where he was in a position to harm others. That’s is also on the Blackhawks.

I am no lawyer, but I don't see why the Blackhawks would be expected to report an incident to the authorities where A) there was no obvious crime committed (note: there is no evidence that the Blackhawks were aware of anything close to what Beach has since come forward with, the only evidence we have is that Aldridge was either "trying to get in the sheets" with Beach, or pressuring him into having sex with him; nothing about alleged rape that only came out recently) and B) that victim did not want to go to the Police.

In reading the report, I think by far and away the most valid criticism for the Blackhawks as an organization is their lack an investigation into the incident. I honestly don't know, legally, what should have been done, or what is usually done in the corporate environment in these situations, but the fact that they basically let him leave without an investigation leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Also worth pointing out that basically all the evidence we have on this subject suggests this was John McDonough's decision.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The Ernst & Young factor is something the conspiracy theorists never want to address. A Big 4 accounting firm with clients like Coca Cola, GM, Amazon and Walmart is going to risk damaging it's reputation so a relatively small client like the NHL can place an 18 year old kid in a certain market? People will cite Kane and now this one as proof they want players in Chicago, but in 2004 Chicago had probably the biggest lottery fall up until Buffalo in 2015. They went from #2 to #3, missing out on Malkin and ending up with Cam Barker. In 2015 why would they send McDavid to Edmonton and not Toronto, Philadelphia or Arizona?

Amazon and Walmart 100% cook their books. I'll tell you that right now.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Talk about great timing for the Blackhawks. You finally move on from Toews & Kane who were the face of your franchise for year. Then BOOM you win the draft lottery and get the chance draft a generational talent, whose compared to McDavid & Crosby. Add to that nearly $42 million in cap space and Chicago could make some serious moves this off-season.

Mar 6, 2012
If the Blues hadn’t won the cup in 2019, something like this happening may have triggered me to stop being a fan of the league. At some point everything just always feels stacked against you as a fan. It always feels like the worst thing possible always happens. I can imagine how painfully frustrating it is for fans of teams like Arizona, Columbus, San Jose, Vancouver, etc feel right now seeing a team that has enjoyed such an immense amount of very very recent success, land such a random and insanely valuable team asset. The rich get richer, fans that got to enjoy so much good fortune and good times now get more and more and everything just feels hopeless and frustrating. It’s a powerless feeling. It makes it tough to keep watching, when everything feels cosmically and karmically stacked against you.

Last edited:
Reactions: quat

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Even without the letter of recommendation part, the failure to report him to the authorities and their efforts to keep it all hidden made it possible for him to end up in another situation where he was in a position to harm others. That’s is also on the Blackhawks.

I hate the Blackhawks, I really do. But it’s a fun kind of hate… sports rivalries are fun. They make everything more exciting and are one of the best parts of being an NHL fan. It has to be hard for the fans, because they had nothing to do with any of it. What are they supposed to do? Constantly rubbing the incident in the faces of the fans accomplishes nothing. There should have been stronger repercussions for the people involved, but a terrible act and the subsequent follow up should only be held against the actual people involved, not the entire team or the entire fanbase.

Anyway, I don’t think it’s actually rigged, but it still sucks seeing a team that has enjoyed so much recent success get such a massive gift dropped right in their lap. They’re like 3-4 years removed from enjoying one of the most storied and triumphant dynasties in the history of the game, one that was brought about by another draft lotto victory that also landed them one of the best players of this era. As a fan of another team, as a fan of the league, it’s a tough pill to swallow. It always feels like the same teams get all of the good fortune. over and over and over…

That wasn't the case for a very long time.
The Blackhawks truly sucked for a good ten years prior to drafting Keth, Seabrook, Toews, and winning Kane in the lottery. They had one decent season in 2001-02 but got crushed in the 1st round by St. Louis getting shut out three times in 5 games.

Even before that, they had a good team in the 80's and early 90's but never won anything, getting swept by the Penguins in '92 was their best result. Gotta go back to 1961 for their previous cup.

They got lucky in 2007 with Kane's draft, their first ever #1 overall after 44 years of draft history.
Got lucky to land #3 in 2019 for Kirby Dach but it appears not to have been the best pick. Byram, Cozens, Zegras, Boldy, etc. all went later and so far look like better players.
Got lucky again now in 2023.

So they've been lucky 3x in 16 years but have been in the league for 96 years and now have their second 1st overall pick in 60 drafts. 2 for 60. Recent luck? Yes. A history of luck? No.

Pittsburgh has been in the league since 1968 (55 years) and drafted first overall 3x (Mario, MAF, Crosby.)
Montreal has picked first 6x.
Edmonton 4x (including three in a row)
Colorado/Quebec 4x (including three in a row)
Buffalo 4x.
etc.

St. Louis has one so far (2006) but that can change. Long time Blackhawks fans never expected to have the kind of luck we've had recently and we know it won't continue forever. We can easily see the team go another 49 years (I'll be long gone) between cups.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
yea i didnt remember that part as the story was a little while ago but yea a 2 million dollar punishment is pretty pathetic.
I’m a Hawks fan and yes the situation was terrible, but it was ‘eventually’ dealt with…Rocky Wirtz I’m 100% certain did not know about it til 2022…then Ptesident McDonough did, and when he ‘left’ the team was when Wirtz found out…that said…the NHL fined them, held the right amount of people responsible and believe me Chicago paid for it…the care has been settled with Beach, Beach has said so, I’m sure Rocky was none to pleased to have to pay out $30-40 million…

DevilDog

The Original Dog
Mar 2, 2007
Dirty Jerz
Happy to see the top talent heading West for a change. The East has been spoiled rotten with generational players so the WC definitely deserves the top 2 in this draft.

Also glad not to have Bedard or Fantilli in my teams division!

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
1683639997907.png

mel

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2006
Boston
Was hoping he went to Columbus, Arizona or Montreal. More so the first two. I thought it would have been cool for those two franchises. Congrats Hawks fans.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
You don't remember that part of the story because it is false. From the report:

"After leaving his employment with the Blackhawks, Aldrich went on to work and volunteer at USA Hockey, the University of Notre Dame, Miami University of Ohio, and Houghton High School.621 None of the witnesses we interviewed recalled anyone at the Blackhawks providing a written or verbal reference for Aldrich to his future employers. When interviewed, Aldrich stated that he did not list any Blackhawks employees as references on job applications, nor did he ask anyone from the Blackhawks to vouch for him or make any calls on his behalf.622 USA Hockey reported to us that they identified no records reflecting a reference provided for Aldrich by the Blackhawks.623 We gathered records from Miami University regarding Aldrich’s employment and found no evidence of references, whether written or oral, provided by the Blackhawks. Miami University published an investigative report on September 24, 2021, which stated that Aldrich did not provide references on his resume when he applied to Miami, that the then-head coach of Miami University’s hockey team received Aldrich’s name from the coach’s collegiate hockey connections, and that the head coach and others spoke to the University of Notre Dame about Aldrich and received favorable information.624 The Miami investigative report does not describe any references provided by the Blackhawks."
If this section of the report is accurate then clearly I was wrong in regards to a letter of recommendation. It’s been a while since I read the full thing and I must’ve (at best) misremembered these particular findings. My bad.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Chicago winning the lottery is like when you know exactly what you'll get for your birthday/xmas, but you still act all surprised when you unwrap the gift

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Excellent, could not have happened to a more deserving organization. Now they just need competent management and about 20 new players to surround Bedard with and they'll be back in the playoffs within 5 years. Any real neutral hockey fan will obviously be thrilled to see Bedard in the best jersey in sports. So this outcome is likely an overall win for everybody involved which is all that matters in the end.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
*you’re
Perhaps almost as disgusting as the sexual assaults is the way people who were a part of the organization at the time and Chicago fans dismiss the severity of it all.

Black eye on the sport for sure

And in turn, some are being completely hyperbolic about it.

This will hardly effect the sport.

The fact that some are suggesting the organization be punished is just.... completely an overreaction.

The organization's statement was more than adequate. This was sexual misconduct.

Maybe Kyle just isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Aldrige was a video coach...... It's hard to understand for most guys I think how he could have felt so helpless and powerless.

I'm not suggesting he didn't feel that way. I'm suggesting, you present that story to most guys I know, they too would have a difficult time understanding Kyle's reaction to the situation. And might think, something is off about this on both sides.

And I am sure Kyle did feel "fear" and whatever else. But honestly, its' difficult to empathize with his reaction to the situation given the details.

Did he seriously think this video coach had this kind of power over him? DId he really think he was so stuck in this situation and powerless and that his career hung in the balance? That's the part I think most people have a hard time understanding. Beach was a grown man at this point. And I just don't think that's how most men of the same age would have reacted to the situation. So in turn it's difficult for many men to understand how this whole thing played out and how Kyle was so effected by it. And that includes Chicago execs.

I think all would agree, Aldrich should have been let go, of course And that Kyle shouldn't have HAD to deal with that situation. Of course. But at the same time, Beach's reaction is baffling. And It's difficult to grasp that a man of that age wasn't mentally or emotionally mature enough to understand the reality of the situation at the time.

And I would expect the Chicago management perceived it similarly, having a difficult time understanding Beach's; position.

I am in no way defending Aldrich. And the organization obviously should have handled it immediately and let Aldrich go. And the execs at the time certainly bungled that aspect of it.

But at the same time, I wholly think the Blackhawks response since, and their statement, were more than adequate given the details of the situation. Their initial response and handling of it was poor. Absolutely. But after that initial run of error in judgement, they've handled it just fine since.

Last edited:

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
You don't remember that part of the story because it is false. From the report:

"After leaving his employment with the Blackhawks, Aldrich went on to work and volunteer at USA Hockey, the University of Notre Dame, Miami University of Ohio, and Houghton High School.621 None of the witnesses we interviewed recalled anyone at the Blackhawks providing a written or verbal reference for Aldrich to his future employers. When interviewed, Aldrich stated that he did not list any Blackhawks employees as references on job applications, nor did he ask anyone from the Blackhawks to vouch for him or make any calls on his behalf.622 USA Hockey reported to us that they identified no records reflecting a reference provided for Aldrich by the Blackhawks.623 We gathered records from Miami University regarding Aldrich’s employment and found no evidence of references, whether written or oral, provided by the Blackhawks. Miami University published an investigative report on September 24, 2021, which stated that Aldrich did not provide references on his resume when he applied to Miami, that the then-head coach of Miami University’s hockey team received Aldrich’s name from the coach’s collegiate hockey connections, and that the head coach and others spoke to the University of Notre Dame about Aldrich and received favorable information.624 The Miami investigative report does not describe any references provided by the Blackhawks."

It appears to me that Blackhawks haters are using this situation, taking of this situation, using this situation, to vent and hate on the Hawks. It has been completely blown out of proportion. The Hawks initial reaction to the situation was as one would expect given the details of Beach's claim, confused. And of course they should have done more, but it's also easy to see why they didn't

This was a 20+ year old man and a video coach... I think a lot of men have a difficult time understanding Beach's position in this and I have no doubt Hawks execs ,who are of an even older generation in this case, would have an equally hard time understanding how it all played out and would have been questioning Beach's claims given the circumstance. As I think many a male, whether 20 or 40, will have a difficult time grasping Kye;s reaction and claim.

But aside from that initial error in judgement by the Hawks org, they have since handled it just fine and there was nothing wrong with their statement they released.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I think if Connor Bedard pulled a Lindros, it would be supported by 95% of the hockey world.. Unlike Lindros was. Mind you, the haul the Nords got led them to a cup (in Colorado).

Reactions: Dirty Dan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad