GDT: 2023 Draft Lottery - 8PM ET - ESPN, Sportsnet, TVAS: Chicago #1, Anaheim #2, Columbus #3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
How come the full draft order is not available in the NHL site in large news spot? NHL failing at marketing again.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The list of assigned digits is released by the NHL in advance

Bettman was annoyed that the ball that was 13 took a long time to pop up.

Nobody in that room can leave until Bill Daly makes the live announcement and that includes Lord Bettman.

Chicago was in full tank mode but still wound up as the #3 seed

But they won 4 games in the last month with an AHL roster

1683611196523.png

They crippled Calgary on the road April 4th but on April 11th they beat Pittsburgh soundly as the visiting team.

Pittsburgh wins that game the Sunrise Kitties DON'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
I got too many infractions so I can't like this post haha.

Yeah, you win some, you lose some.

The Rangers suck at developing forwards so I dunno if we're better in any regards, lol.

I low-key hate that I got into hockey for reals when Jagr played for the Rangers. He's the reason why I'm a Rangers fan.

Everyone always assume you're a Rangers fan due to Lundqvist when you're from Sweden.

Look at us. We traded Buchnevich for nothing... and it's not like his play with St.Louis came from nowhere, we knew he was that good.

But we prioritized Goodrow and Nemeth over him, lol.

We could've literally kept Buch at least for one more season and then we could've traded him for more than what we got.

I love Kreider but I would've rather traded him and re-signed Buchnevich.

Then you got us picking Hugh Jessiman in arguably the goat of drafts in '03.

Going off boards like crazy and picking McIlrath when both Fowler and Tarasenko were available.

Lias Andersson and Kravtsov drafted high due to one good playoffs was also short sighted. Especially Andersson, dude can't skate and the league is built on speed these days.

Nah, I f***ing hate my organization dude. I honestly believe we won't win the Cup for at least 30 more years. Shitty scouting mixed with short term thinking and an idiot owner = mediocrity.

We're still decent at drafting defensemen and goalies have always been something we've been good at drafting.
Funny enough, Ottawa's Achilles heel has always heel goaltending.

Anderson was solid I guess but after enduring seven goalies last season...ugh

Do you see them trading first round picks in order to get rid of 2 million of salary?
Good point!

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Why this year? Because they won the draft lottery over your team? You do realize that if the Blackhawks should've lost a 1st round pick it was LAST SEASON'S draft, right?

Not my team, Chuckoo. In fact, I was rooting for him to go anywhere but Anaheim. But nice try.

I think my NHL fans would agree that the fine is a slap on the wrist, especially given the nature of the cover-up.

Reactions: PuckG and Go Wings

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Not my team, Chuckoo. In fact, I was rooting for him to go anywhere but Anaheim. But nice try.

I think my NHL fans would agree that the fine is a slap on the wrist, especially given the nature of the cover-up.

They should’ve been fined a lot more money. Like tens of millions more. But imo draft pick stripping should be reserved for attempts at cheating with player contracts or tampering with upcoming free agents or prospects. Franchise employees committing serious crimes and then covering them up should hit the owner’s wallets very hard and the proper authorities should’ve been brought in to investigate if the individuals involved need to be held further accountable. The league then should blacklist the people involved and send a message to the world that this should never ever happen again with any NHL player. With that said, taking away draft picks from the hockey team for this seems a bit….inappropriate in a way. But even if they did do that it would’ve just been for last year, unless they go for more years. How many years of stripped draft picks is enough though?

Maybe they could’ve stripped their ability to win the draft lottery for a few years but again how long is long enough for something like that?

Last edited:
Reactions: WetWholphin

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Wow. I didn't know there were so many conspiracy theorists on HFBoards.

Why are you even watching the NHL if you think it's all rigged?

Do you also think everything is rigged in your life the moment something happens that you don't like?

Reactions: Channelcat and PK

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
The Ernst & Young factor is something the conspiracy theorists never want to address. A Big 4 accounting firm with clients like Coca Cola, GM, Amazon and Walmart is going to risk damaging it's reputation so a relatively small client like the NHL can place an 18 year old kid in a certain market? People will cite Kane and now this one as proof they want players in Chicago, but in 2004 Chicago had probably the biggest lottery fall up until Buffalo in 2015. They went from #2 to #3, missing out on Malkin and ending up with Cam Barker. In 2015 why would they send McDavid to Edmonton and not Toronto, Philadelphia or Arizona?

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Just insanity. There’s not a single player on that team anywhere close to qualifying as a top-line forward or top-pair defense. They don’t even have a top-20 prospect pool. The NHL just f***ed Bedard to an unbelievable degree.
Top 20? Lmao peak being dumb here name 20 better

Reactions: Dominance

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
How come the full draft order is not available in the NHL site in large news spot? NHL failing at marketing again.

The final order won't be known until the Cup is awarded. Even mock drafting isn't fun for me until the Conference Finals are determined since at that point picks 1-28 of each round will be set.

But at the moment, Florida's 1st rounder (and subsequent picks) could either be #17, #29, #31, or #32 for example. But we'll have a better idea of the order within the next week.

Reactions: Johnny Rifle

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
The final order won't be known until the Cup is awarded. Even mock drafting isn't fun for me until the Conference Finals are determined since at that point picks 1-28 of each round will be set.

But at the moment, Florida's 1st rounder (and subsequent picks) could either be #17, #29, #31, or #32 for example. But we'll have a better idea of the order within the next week.
I meant the lottery part mostly(up to 15 or smthn?). Of course, rest of it can not be known yet.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
They should’ve been fined a lot more money. Like tens of millions more. But imo draft pick stripping should be reserved for attempts at cheating with player contracts or tampering with upcoming free agents or prospects. Franchise employees committing serious crimes and then covering them up should hit the owner’s wallets very hard and the proper authorities should’ve been brought in to investigate if the individuals involved need to be held further accountable. The league then should blacklist the people involved and send a message to the world that this should never ever happen again with any NHL player. With that said, taking away draft picks from the hockey team for this seems a bit….inappropriate in a way. But even if they did do that it would’ve just been for last year, unless they go for more years. How many years of stripped draft picks is enough though?

Maybe they could’ve stripped their ability to win the draft lottery for a few years but again how long is long enough for something like that?
Penn state football covered up a sexual predator in their organization and had a 60 million dollar fine, lost their full scholarship amount and had a postseason ban for 4 years. That seems about right. Hawks should have had no first round picks for at least 4 years plus a postseason ban. The precedent was already out there but the league has no backbone. A 2 million dollar fine in comparison basically tells me that the league wanted this story buried as much as the Hawks did and is basically ok with the actions that occurred in the hawks organization because they are a league cash cow.

Last edited:

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008

Obviously we all agree that what happened to that player is awful. Penn state football lost 4 seasons of postseason play for a similar type of thing although with many more victims I believe? Who knows what punishment is actually "enough" because no one in the blackhawks organization really cares. Sure no one wishes what happened on anyone but the owner doesn't care, the gm doesn't care and so on. So its really what does the league think is a big enough punishment to make teams be certain that type of heinous behavior doesn't occur in their organization. 2 million dollars doesn't say a whole lot. losing 3 years of number 1s would definitely make at least the owner and GM have a more vested interest in the behind the scenes activities with their personnel.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Obviously we all agree that what happened to that player is awful. Penn state football lost 4 seasons of postseason play for a similar type of thing although with many more victims I believe? Who knows what punishment is actually "enough" because no one in the blackhawks organization really cares. Sure no one wishes what happened on anyone but the owner doesn't care, the gm doesn't care and so on. So its really what does the league think is a big enough punishment to make teams be certain that type of heinous behavior doesn't occur in their organization. 2 million dollars doesn't say a whole lot. losing 3 years of number 1s would definitely make at least the owner and GM have a more vested interest in the behind the scenes activities with their personnel.
It’s not about just what happened to the player. They also gave said employee a recommendation to work with a YOUTH team despite knowing what employee did to the player in their organization. It’s f***ing indefensible. They should have lost draft picks for half a decade.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The Ernst & Young factor is something the conspiracy theorists never want to address. A Big 4 accounting firm with clients like Coca Cola, GM, Amazon and Walmart is going to risk damaging it's reputation so a relatively small client like the NHL can place an 18 year old kid in a certain market? People will cite Kane and now this one as proof they want players in Chicago, but in 2004 Chicago had probably the biggest lottery fall up until Buffalo in 2015. They went from #2 to #3, missing out on Malkin and ending up with Cam Barker. In 2015 why would they send McDavid to Edmonton and not Toronto, Philadelphia or Arizona?
NHL does a lot of questionable things, but rigging the draft lottery is not one of those things.

It's just nonsense when people suggest that, but wearing a tinfoil hat is fun for some people.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
It’s not about just what happened to the player. They also gave said employee a recommendation to work with a YOUTH team despite knowing what employee did to the player in their organization. It’s f***ing indefensible. They should have lost draft picks for half a decade.
yea i didnt remember that part as the story was a little while ago but yea a 2 million dollar punishment is pretty pathetic.

Reactions: hak

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Also, to the people comparing the loss of draft picks in other situations to this one, it is pretty clear: in all the other situations where draft picks were loss it came down to a question of teams getting some sort of edge on other teams in a way that is outlawed in the CBA. As horrible as the Beach situation is, it has nothing to do with on ice competitive balance.

Last edited:

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
yea i didnt remember that part as the story was a little while ago but yea a 2 million dollar punishment is pretty pathetic.
You don't remember that part of the story because it is false. From the report:

"After leaving his employment with the Blackhawks, Aldrich went on to work and volunteer at USA Hockey, the University of Notre Dame, Miami University of Ohio, and Houghton High School.621 None of the witnesses we interviewed recalled anyone at the Blackhawks providing a written or verbal reference for Aldrich to his future employers. When interviewed, Aldrich stated that he did not list any Blackhawks employees as references on job applications, nor did he ask anyone from the Blackhawks to vouch for him or make any calls on his behalf.622 USA Hockey reported to us that they identified no records reflecting a reference provided for Aldrich by the Blackhawks.623 We gathered records from Miami University regarding Aldrich’s employment and found no evidence of references, whether written or oral, provided by the Blackhawks. Miami University published an investigative report on September 24, 2021, which stated that Aldrich did not provide references on his resume when he applied to Miami, that the then-head coach of Miami University’s hockey team received Aldrich’s name from the coach’s collegiate hockey connections, and that the head coach and others spoke to the University of Notre Dame about Aldrich and received favorable information.624 The Miami investigative report does not describe any references provided by the Blackhawks."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad