GDT: 2023 Draft Lottery - 8PM ET - ESPN, Sportsnet, TVAS: Chicago #1, Anaheim #2, Columbus #3

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Yeah and? It’s like that for every fan base.

What should I use then? Should I use total numbers like you do? How is that fair to cities like Winnipeg, Columbus, Buffalo where the population is 3-4x smaller?

Again my entire point is that Chicago is not a “hardcore” hockey town. They show out when the team is good for sure.
Like every other fan base. What is your point?!

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Great hockey markets show out regardless, not every fan base is like that.
Like Columbus? K. I am opposite of you. Not attending reduces rev and will cause ownership to make changes, etc. Attending just because you are a sheep does nothing but line pockets for a team that blows and is perhaps poorly run. Why would you hang your hat on the second?!

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Like Columbus? K.
Columbus, maybe. More so markets like Montreal, Vancouver or Philly.
I am opposite of you. Not attending reduces rev and will cause ownership to make changes, etc.
maybe, but even on bad teams you can watch young players/prospects grow. I value that.
Attending just because you are a sheep
A sheep :laugh: Why u so mad - it’s only a game
does nothing but line pockets for a team that blows and is perhaps poorly run. Why would you hang your hat on the second?!
There are many reasons to go to a hockey game, I enjoy the sport, I enjoy even watching players on other teams. I don’t want to take my team for granted, some markets like Chicago are too big to fail, but for smaller markets I don’t want to think of a world where our team is taken away.

Maybe having loyal fans will attract players, who knows?

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Columbus, maybe. More so markets like Montreal, Vancouver or Philly.

maybe, but even on bad teams you can watch young players/prospects grow. I value that.

A sheep :laugh: Why u so mad - it’s only a game

There are many reasons to go to a hockey game, I enjoy the sport, I enjoy even watching players on other teams. I don’t want to take my team for granted, some markets like Chicago are too big to fail, but for smaller markets I don’t want to think of a world where our team is taken away.

Maybe having loyal fans will attract players, who knows?
Your reasons for attending are much different than a vast vast majority of fans of the home team. As stated in bold.

The 3 stated teams that you say have ‘great markets’ have literally done f*** all for a minimum of 30+ years or never. Making my point. Thank you for that lol!

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Your reasons for attending are much different than a vast vast majority of fans of the home team. As stated in bold.
That’s not my reason to attend the game, that is simply ONE reason why you can’t just boycott games.
The 3 stated teams that you say have ‘great markets’ have literally done f*** all for a minimum of 30+ years or never. Making my point. Thank you for that lol!
That doesn’t “make your point.” Some teams aren’t as lucky as Chicago. Drafting Toews, Kane, and now Bedard will do wonders for a franchise.

Not sure why you can’t understand that “Winning” does not mean you’re a great market - maybe that’s just how Hawks fans understand it. As seen by years when they aren’t good, and get poor attendance.

You really think not going to games helps the organization make changes? It’s not the lottery picks you get from being terrible?

Last edited:
Reactions: SiZ

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
That’s not my reason to attend the game, that is simply ONE reason why you can’t just boycott games.

That doesn’t “make your point.” Some teams aren’t as lucky as Chicago. Drafting Toews, Kane, and now Bedard will do wonders for a franchise.

Not sure why you can’t understand that “Winning” does not mean you’re a great market - maybe that’s just how Hawks fans understand it. As seen by years when they aren’t good, and get poor attendance.

You really think not going to games helps the organization make changes? It’s not the lottery picks you get from being terrible?
You may think this but the NHL and hockey rev say otherwise.

Enjoy the rest of your night. We are getting nowhere.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ducks fans are just moving on. We knew this was going to happen, have been scouting Fantilli and Carlsson weeks before the draft lottery. At least we won the 2nd lottery drawing, and didn't fall to 3rd.

I'm not going to start bashing another organization just because luck was not on our side. It's time to move on and hope Fantilli if we go with him, can become a franchise player for the Ducks, and build around him, Zegras, McTavish, Terry, Drysdale, and Mintykov.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Ducks fans are just moving on. We knew this was going to happen, have been scouting Fantilli and Carlsson weeks before the draft lottery. At least we won the 2nd lottery drawing, and didn't fall to 3rd.

I'm not going to start bashing another organization just because luck was not on our side. It's time to move on and hope Fantilli if we go with him, can become a franchise player for the Ducks, and build around him, Zegras, McTavish, Terry, Drysdale, and Mintykov.
That conundrum of Fantilli/Carlsson was what I was pondering pre draft. I prefer Carlsson to be honest but either is going to be fantastic.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Yeah and? It’s like that for every fan base.

What should I use then? Should I use total numbers like you do? How is that fair to cities like Winnipeg, Columbus, Buffalo where the population is 3-4x smaller?

Again my entire point is that Chicago is not a “hardcore” hockey town. They show out when the team is good for sure.
It's a decent Hockey town.

Nothing compared to Minnesota, Boston, Buffalo, or Detroit imo.

Each of those cities have more loyalty and don't abandon ship after a few years of struggles AFTER a dynastic run. In Buffalo and Minnesota's case, there have not been great runs.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Mar 6, 2012
As frustrated as I am as a simple fan of an opposing team, I can only imagine how the front offices of long beleaguered teams in the running must be to see it go to the Blackhawks after all of the insane success they enjoyed on the back of another draft lotto win.

The world is not a fair place. Sometimes (frequently) the worst possible outcome occurs. I’m sure Chicago fans are over the moon… they should be. But the vast majority of fans are super frustrated and annoyed and pissed off. At who? I dunno. I’m just pissed off at the absurdity of it all and frustrated that the same teams always seem to catch these lucky breaks. It feels bad and makes it less fun to be a fan.

As a fan of a team that long struggled to find true success, I deeply understand the endless frustration and powerless feeling you get seeing the same teams enjoy so much success and see it come so seemingly easy compared to the feeling of endless hopelessness and struggle you feel when nothing ever seems to go your way.

Seeing a team that is only a few short years removed from one of the best runs in NHL history land the jackpot again just feels wrong. I know it isn’t rigged. That doesn’t make it any less aggravating, and having to deal with watching another one of our bitter rivals enjoy the great fun of having a superstar player on their team is also frustrating.

I’ve been kinda down in general on the NHL and endlessly frustrated with the terrible state of trying to easily and legally watch the product the supposedly want me to pay for, and crap like this just makes me want to throw in the towel.

I’ve been a die hard NHL fan for about 35 years now, Im a season ticket holder and I’ve watched 95% of my teams games for about 25 years running and this is honestly about the most irritated I’ve been as a fan in a long time. It feels like the NHL is just conspiring to make me not follow them anymore. Maybe they will get their wish. I can just find a new hobby... who knows... maybe I’ll take up punching myself in the groin. It would probably be more enjoyable than watching the Hawks go on another 10 year run of domination.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The draft lottery is not perfect obviously, and maybe there are some tweaks that could be done, but it is probably the best solution they have. But IMO, for all that's wrong with the draft, the NHL has far bigger problems to solve when it comes to each team having a chance to succeed.

The teams and their markets are not equal. Players have NTC and NMC out the ying-yang. Taxes are nowhere near equal, cost of living etc.

There are a lot of teams that are always going to have problems attracting and keeping the best talent, and to me this is the bigger problem than just who gets what pick. Even if Columbus say for example got the #1 pick and takes Bedard...what are the odds they can keep him long term? Compared to Chicago?

The NHL needs to equalize the ability to allow all 32 teams to acquire / keep players better.

And as far as the NHL "fixing" the draft... seriously... the NHL is too stupid to fix anything and get away with it.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
The draft lottery is not perfect obviously, and maybe there are some tweaks that could be done, but it is probably the best solution they have. But IMO, for all that's wrong with the draft, the NHL has far bigger problems to solve when it comes to each team having a chance to succeed.

The teams and their markets are not equal. Players have NTC and NMC out the ying-yang. Taxes are nowhere near equal, cost of living etc.

There are a lot of teams that are always going to have problems attracting and keeping the best talent, and to me this is the bigger problem than just who gets what pick. Even if Columbus say for example got the #1 pick and takes Bedard...what are the odds they can keep him long term? Compared to Chicago?

The NHL needs to equalize the ability to allow all 32 teams to acquire / keep players better.

And as far as the NHL "fixing" the draft... seriously... the NHL is too stupid to fix anything and get away with it.
The issue is that the salary cap was primarily put in place to make the economic model viable for the NHL as a whole, and the "competitive balance" was always a secondary benefit. If balance was the primary, you wouldn't have the significant range between the cap floor and the ceiling, and teams wouldn't have the ability to pay almost all of a contract via a signing bonus.

There is NO way to truly equalize the market's ability to compete. If WINN had a 20K seating arena, they would still struggle to get UFA's to sign there. Teams in CA/NY/Canada have more difficult tax situations. The problem is that you can't change many of those underling factors to enable acquire/keep talent. The only way would be to do things like restrict player movement with older UFA eligibility and the like, and the players are NEVER going to go for that.

I think that the draft lottery works relatively well. Truly bad teams are most likely to get the best picks, but just being bad doesn't guarantee you a top pick. Hell, the Hawks getting 3 of the last 4 points of the season essentially cut there chance for Bedard in half. The fact that they lucked into him is entirely beside the point, because it was just luck.

The fact that people give any credence to a "fix" being in is ridiculous. The Public Accounting firm which is overseeing the process would be opening themselves up to MASSIVE liability if that was true. It's random chance IMO.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
As frustrated as I am as a simple fan of an opposing team, I can only imagine how the front offices of long beleaguered teams in the running must be to see it go to the Blackhawks after all of the insane success they enjoyed on the back of another draft lotto win.

The world is not a fair place. Sometimes (frequently) the worst possible outcome occurs. I’m sure Chicago fans are over the moon… they should be. But the vast majority of fans are super frustrated and annoyed and pissed off. At who? I dunno. I’m just pissed off at the absurdity of it all and frustrated that the same teams always seem to catch these lucky breaks. It feels bad and makes it less fun to be a fan.

As a fan of a team that long struggled to find true success, I deeply understand the endless frustration and powerless feeling you get seeing the same teams enjoy so much success and see it come so seemingly easy compared to the feeling of endless hopelessness and struggle you feel when nothing ever seems to go your way.

Seeing a team that is only a few short years removed from one of the best runs in NHL history land the jackpot again just feels wrong. I know it isn’t rigged. That doesn’t make it any less aggravating, and having to deal with watching another one of our bitter rivals enjoy the great fun of having a superstar player on their team is also frustrating.

I’ve been kinda down in general on the NHL and endlessly frustrated with the terrible state of trying to easily and legally watch the product the supposedly want me to pay for, and crap like this just makes me want to throw in the towel.

I’ve been a die hard NHL fan for about 35 years now, Im a season ticket holder and I’ve watched 95% of my teams games for about 25 years running and this is honestly about the most irritated I’ve been as a fan in a long time. It feels like the NHL is just conspiring to make me not follow them anymore. Maybe they will get their wish. I can just find a new hobby... who knows... maybe I’ll take up punching myself in the groin. It would probably be more enjoyable than watching the Hawks go on another 10 year run of domination.

Before landing Bedard the Hawks have had four total draft picks in the top 5 over a span of 22 years since the year 2000 and we started being terrible in the late 90's, three 3rd overall (Barker, Toews, Dach) and one 1st overall (Kane). And, at the time, many had doubts about drafting Kane due to his size/bulk/etc, he wasn't anywhere near the consensus of a generational type like McD, Crosby, etc.

We knew we had some good players, that's it. No one knew when it came to the toughest games in the playoffs Kane & Toews had ice in their veins. Nobody knew Dave Bolland was just going to be a monster in the post season. Keith, a future Norris guy? Not when he was drafted, Seabrook was supposed to be a pretty good tough D, not a bonafide legit first pairing guy.

Then you sprinkle in a brilliant signing like Hossa, great move in trading for Sharp, and depth that was always above their place in the lineup?

That success was so much built on maybe partly the % of smarts but really a ton of luck. You just can't predict those guys would have turned out the way they did, not a chance. Nor could you predict the Hawks 3 cups back when Toews/Kane were drafted. The only prediction was that the team would start to make the playoffs and not be a total dumpster fire. Even in '09 I don't think anyone had the Hawks getting out of the first round.

So, for you to act like the league gifted the Blackhawks their recent success is way of line.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Yo Montreal

twenty-nine-schmidt.gif

If you know you know

Trolololololol

• Haha
Reactions: Frank Drebin

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

I understand the frustration. But the reality is, in the first 60 years of the NHL draft - the Blackhawks have picked #1 just once - when they selected Patrick Kane 16 years ago. This isn't a team that has been spolied with good draft or draft lottery luck historically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad