GDT: 2023 Draft Lottery - 8PM ET - ESPN, Sportsnet, TVAS: Chicago #1, Anaheim #2, Columbus #3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010

They've released the videos in past years. Each team sends somebody to witness it and they have to give up their phones so they don't leak the results. I recall the Devils rep talking about the 2019 drawing and how he could barely contain himself after they won, but he was essentially trapped in the room until the TV reveal was done.

The reason they don't show the actual drawing? Probably because it's not a TV friendly process. People probably have the misconception that there are ping pong balls with logos on it (like the weird Crosby year/2020 second draw). They draw four numbers and check out a spreadsheet.

8-1-4-2. Check spreadsheet. (insert team) won.

Would that squash any people from believing that it wasn't rigged? Even if they had a copy of the combination list ahead of time?

Proving legitimacy is ALWAYS TV friendly. Not showing it is about as legit as reading about what happened at a magic show.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Can’t help but get flashbacks to the last time the Hawks picked first and proceeded to wreak havoc on the western conference for years after.

flashback-war.gif

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
The lottery is not rigged.. there is a third party that the league brings in. Come on guys
The NHL should show the drawing of the balls live ....not in secret.

Probably best to not have the ESPN guy in on the results when you say "OK we are drawing the 3rd now", yet the announcer told you the result before commercial break and before the supposed draw

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
He is probably so happy.... Why would he refuse to play there? Original 6 in a sick city.

He won’t refuse to play there, and I don’t claim to know him but personally I’d have preferred Anaheim.

Beaches and nice weather, less pressure, more pieces around you.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
In order for it to remain unchanged, Anaheim (18.5%) wins 1st drawing, and Columbus (now 18.5%… I think?) wins the second drawing

18.5%*18.5% = 3.4%

So “mathematically impossible” is a stretch, but it’s pretty likely the lotto affects something
They said top 3 teams being top 3 teams, so without doing the math my guess is it's ~10-12% chance to occur.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
As a nucks fan I'm disappointed but man the amount of whining and sore losers has me wondering the average age of the posters.

I. Mean people bringing up the SA and the cover-up realize it's from 2009 with a different GM and executives right? Why should these Hawks suffer for that? As for Tanking, the Hawks didn't rotate 3 goalies like Zona while holding their best dman out. They blew it up last year and robbed both the habs and sens afaic. The Hawks only sucked for 2 seasons while the other teams have sucked for years and have had multiple top 3-4 picks and the habs just had the 1st and the ducks have had a bunch of high picks.
My God people (not you) need to grow up.
Congrats to the Hawks and Bedard in a huge market is awesome
And just like that time and staff turnover heals the boo boo huh? f*** Chicago.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
lol was just going to come on to post that exact thing. Just to see that like 50 people beat me to it.

Yea. Well, that's definitely the fixed pick. Boy that market could use a boost.....
That cross crease pass in the Ozone was nasty don't see that often around these parts of town

So why did the habs even let him play this season? should've just let him chill in the AHL and develop the north american game

Aside from the Swiss it will be an awfully long time for that to happen. Especially here in GB.

Poland does not have a sport culture ?

Really ? They love football. Excellent at handball and basketball more so the latter. Love athletics. Tennis too. Even rugby union is improving quite a bit there. It's just down to the development programme and moving the game around Poland as it's still dominated by the teams in southern Poland.

You see all the players in North America of Polish descent so it's down to the system in Poland.

Nhl needed that to happen for Chicago lol

Weird how everytime a big city needs a top tier prospect they win the lottery. Edmonton, Toronto, NYC, Chicago, it was never in doubt.

Great market for Bedard, but god damn lol

I think this time, we can say this was objectively predictable.

As far as luck goes, the NHL seems to just continuously have terrible luck. Every time there's a prospect regarded as "generational" or "near generational", one of the original 6 or another big market seems to get the ball to fall for them,

Really, that's just terrible luck by the NHL. The draft process gets less trustworthy with each and every draw of NHL's bad luck. haha

No seriously, i would have bet my house that Chicago would get this pick. I mean, unless it's just the power of capitalism, market forces at work haha.

Well, they probably do need him more than most teams. Still going to be a long time before they compete for anything again.

Reactions: karltonian

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
If the contract was legal, New Jersey would not have been penalized.
OT, but the Kovalchuk contract was 100% legal at the time. The League just didn't like the precedent it set so shut it down.
What was even more stupid about the penalty is that the League has a whole department for approving or not approving proposed contracts.
Teams submit a contract, the NHL looks at it and says okay or not. They do that with every trade too.

They literally could've just said "...uh, no." But instead they said, "f*** you for making us do our job. Contract denied, and here's your penalty for even asking"

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
I'm just glad that Chicago can be relevant again. They have gone so long since last winning the Cup - what has it been, 8 years? They deserve to have the lottery just like back in 2007. NHL lottery works well - keeping team with recent success relevant again while keeping teams like Columbus that just slug along irrelevant.

The lottery also keeps teams from tanking - Chicago didn't try at all to get the top pick, proven by the fact they won some games at the end of the season to not finish last. There was nothing done leading up to this season to lead anyone to think they were tanking. The whole point of the lottery worked out just as planned.
Chicago didn't tank? How naive can you be? They traded everything they had for this Ubertank to get Bedard and they were rewarded. I wish them Leafs luck for the next 50 years!

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Basically. It's pageantry. But it's fun when they mess up on the coverage because it fuels conspiracies.
Geez I wonder how they could avoid that ever happening? Maybe show it live if they have nothing to hide??? Just an idea.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
As a nucks fan I'm disappointed but man the amount of whining and sore losers has me wondering the average age of the posters.

I. Mean people bringing up the SA and the cover-up realize it's from 2009 with a different GM and executives right? Why should these Hawks suffer for that? As for Tanking, the Hawks didn't rotate 3 goalies like Zona while holding their best dman out. They blew it up last year and robbed both the habs and sens afaic. The Hawks only sucked for 2 seasons while the other teams have sucked for years and have had multiple top 3-4 picks and the habs just had the 1st and the ducks have had a bunch of high picks.
My God people (not you) need to grow up.
Congrats to the Hawks and Bedard in a huge market is awesome
They won the lottery to select Dach, been alot more than 2 years of suck. More lottery wins than a lot of worse teams.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The NHL should show the drawing of the balls live ....not in secret.

Probably best to not have the ESPN guy in on the results when you say "OK we are drawing the 3rd now", yet the announcer told you the result before commercial break and before the supposed draw

The draw is done in advance, so the TV people have time to do their thing. Unfortunately NBCSN got sloppy in 2019 and leaked the results ahead of time.

At the 2017 Draft, I happened to be seated behind the NBCSN production table. I had most of the first round picks spoiled for me since the selections are entered in at the table, then teams walk up to the podium. I could see the NBCSN crew queueing up highlights for the next guy about to be drafted. That's also how they have a cameraman find the kid in the crowd for his reaction shot, even for an off the board pick like Mark Visentin in 2010.

Reactions: Taswell

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
They aren’t even working for the blackhawks anymore so I’m not sure why you think the blackhawks franchise should forever be associated with that
Because if you did it, you should be punished for it, and frankly the precedent set for an organization covering up sexual assault doesn't even touch the tampering punishments, which is all sorts of backwards.

Shit, as a sports franchise playing a game that really doesn't matter they should be leading the way saying "no no, we f***ed up, we'll take it on the chin because that was bad" and apparently nobody really cares?

Sporting penalties should be the slap on the wrist in that context because they don't matter anywhere nearly as much as the real life consequences of f***ing a dude's life up. You have your priorities backwards.

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012
He won’t refuse to play there, and I don’t claim to know him but personally I’d have preferred Anaheim.

Beaches and nice weather, less pressure, more pieces around you.
He doesnt like beaches, he didn't want to go to Hawaii as a 13 year old. He brought all his hockey gear with him so he could keep practicing.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Do I really need to get into it, I would rather not
Go for it, but these players do not care. They care about going to a successful organization that has mega branding, lots of rich history and living in a sick city. something that happened 15 years ago with people that are no longer there has no impact on the big picture.

Reactions: Video Nasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad