GDT: Preseason game 2: Sharks vs. Ducks 7pm stream on sharks.nhl.com

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Even though couple of loses against B squads, I like where Celebrini and Smith are going. If they dominate it's a bonus. I would have hoped a little more from the vets, but I guess chemistry is not quite there yet. There will be more cuts and we'll see a more complete team compete against more complete teams that will help to figure out what to work on. It's gonna be a long season, but I hope they start executing on the details to start building an identity.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Will Smith scored more points, he was not the better player, he wasn't even the best centerman on his own team

Celebrini scored 7 fewer points in 3 fewer games while actually shouldering 1C responsibilities and playing with a true defensive conscience, he had much less advantageous deployment than Smith who spent the entire season playing under Cutter Gauthier who finished 2nd in league scoring while Celebrini's highest scoring teammate was tied for 11th, Celebrini absolutely deserved the award as much as anyone else, he did more with less
Will Smith was the best centerman on his team? Turns out you it's more important to outscore/chance your opponent than to have a true "defensive conscience".

I guess it is a matter of opinion though, Celebrini joined a team that won 29 games and massively improved them to a 28 win team while Smith helped take a team that won 14 games the previous year and won 34.

• Haha
Reactions: landshark

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Will Smith was the best centerman on his team? Turns out you it's more important to outscore/chance your opponent than to have a true "defensive conscience".

I guess it is a matter of opinion though, Celebrini joined a team that won 29 games and massively improved them to a 28 win team while Smith helped take a team that won 14 games the previous year and won 34.
It's a massive oversimplification of the large scale roster turnover that NCAA teams experience year over year to say the difference between the 23 and 24 seasons was those two players joining their respective teams

BC added Smith's entire line from the US national developmental program, for instance, it wasn't just adding one guy that changed their team

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
It's a massive oversimplification of the large scale roster turnover that NCAA teams experience year over year to say the difference between the 23 and 24 seasons was those two players joining their respective teams

BC added Smith's entire line from the US national developmental program, for instance, it wasn't just adding one guy that changed their team
Sounds like a pretty good line, is it possible that was also their best line?

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
It was, it was also their 2nd line that got deployed against 2nd tier competition at even strength while the Gauthier line was tasked with hard-matching opponents' top units, a luxury Celebrini was not afforded while crushing his minutes as the youngest player in the league

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
It was, it was also their 2nd line that got deployed against 2nd tier competition at even strength while the Gauthier line was tasked with hard-matching opponents' top units, a luxury Celebrini was not afforded while crushing his minutes as the youngest player in the league

(Just so you both know --- in 2033 when we win the stanley cup with both of them, I'm going to quote this argument about who should have won the hobey baker 10 years prior. --- carry on)

• Haha
Reactions: landshark

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Walman is going to take out a lot of opposing players with his point shot. He stung 2 ducks players pretty good in a 15 second timespan. Nice to have someone with a cannon from the blue line this year.
I think he also is underrated at moving the puck. He's not a wizard with it, but there's a clear difference between him and all the other veteran defensemen when it comes to handling and passing the puck. Of course, that's a low bar to clear.

Reactions: karltonian

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Maybe BU's other players would have looked a little better if Celebrini wasn't so puck dominant? Smith is a lot like Curry as a ceiling raiser while Celebrini is more of a Westbrook floor raiser. Both very good players.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
Even though couple of loses against B squads, I like where Celebrini and Smith are going. If they dominate it's a bonus. I would have hoped a little more from the vets, but I guess chemistry is not quite there yet. There will be more cuts and we'll see a more complete team compete against more complete teams that will help to figure out what to work on. It's gonna be a long season, but I hope they start executing on the details to start building an identity.
To be fair, we rolled out 2 B squads ourselves.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Maybe BU's other players would have looked a little better if Celebrini wasn't so puck dominant? Smith is a lot like Curry as a ceiling raiser while Celebrini is more of a Westbrook floor raiser. Both very good players.
Celebrini is an incredibly unselfish player who moves the puck to reset and find open space without the puck at every appropriate opportunity, any comparison to Russell Westbrook is asinine, he's no puck hog

Steph Curry is at worst one of the 25 greatest players in the history of basketball, comparing Smith to him as a "ceiling raiser" is so lofty as to be absurd, let's see him play a single game making decisions at NHL game speed before we throw him in the hall of fame

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Am I dreaming? Watching @LilLeeroy defend Smith is wild after he was the flag bearer for "Secondary Smith, passenger on his own line" for most of last season 😂

If we're going to make wild, undeserved, and lofty comparisons, then Celebrini is LeBron. He makes the most effective decision with the puck, whether that's a pass, shot, or handle. He has every skill you need and is close to elite at almost everything. Definitely carried BU last year, a team with fewer offensive geniuses and prospects other than Hutson really, even though they were very good ... compared to an extremely deep and prospect laden BC team that rolled 4 effective lines all season.

I can't believe we're calling Celebrini a puck hog now but I guess it's good to start creating new years-long debates so we can stop talking about "Thorton is Tin Man" (sic) and whether Marleau's contract was market in 2008.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I think these two games have shown the team is ready for another massive round of cuts, some more practice time and that the defense is still going to hold back the forwards

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Last year's taco bell "4 in the net thing..."
1727274410729.png

Boy can they pick 'em! Kevin Labanc and Kunin... At least Sharkie was there.

I was trying to find what the minimum purchase is out of curiosity. I tried a URL edit on the years listed to see this year's but that didn't work.

I can't seem to dig up what's required to purchase to get the three free tacos. I have no intention of getting them, I just wonder what you have to pay to get tacos that I think used to be free.

Last edited:

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Last year's taco bell "4 in the net thing..."
View attachment 909594

Boy can they pick 'em! Kevin Labanc and Kunin... At least Sharkie was there.

I was trying to find what the minimum purchase is out of curiosity. I tried a URL edit on the years listed to see this year's but that didn't work.

I can't seem to dig up what's required to purchase to get the three free tacos. I have no intention of getting them, I just wonder what you have to pay to get tacos that I think used to be free.
"4 in the net pizza you get" is still the best goal promo they had. I got so many round table personal pizzas as a kid growing up

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Am I dreaming? Watching @LilLeeroy defend Smith is wild after he was the flag bearer for "Secondary Smith, passenger on his own line" for most of last season 😂

If we're going to make wild, undeserved, and lofty comparisons, then Celebrini is LeBron. He makes the most effective decision with the puck, whether that's a pass, shot, or handle. He has every skill you need and is close to elite at almost everything. Definitely carried BU last year, a team with fewer offensive geniuses and prospects other than Hutson really, even though they were very good ... compared to an extremely deep and prospect laden BC team that rolled 4 effective lines all season.

I can't believe we're calling Celebrini a puck hog now but I guess it's good to start creating new years-long debates so we can stop talking about "Thorton is Tin Man" (sic) and whether Marleau's contract was market in 2008.
I mean the Secondary Smith was a joke that I still don't get how people didn't realize was a joke in the context. He had a not very impressive start of the year then completely dominated for 4 months and was playing at a level higher than Celebrini was during the same timeframe.

Just thought it was funny how people were acting like they are incomparable as players when Smith slapped around Celebrini in the HockeyEast finals.

And don't really know what you're talking about with rolling 4 lines, but depth was BC's biggest weakness by far last year. The bottom 6 minus Malone only combined for 12 goals on the year, and when Perreault went out they got absolutely nothing from anybody besides Smith, Gauthier, and Leonard besides Malone having a good game against UConn.

Celebrini being a puck hog is such a wild take
I didn't say puck hog I said puck dominant, which is exactly how Toffoli described his game a couple days ago?

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
To be fair, we rolled out 2 B squads ourselves.
Not only this, but I don’t think a number of posters (not saying you are one) appreciate that even our veterans are either new to the team and/or playing under a different coach/system than last year. The composition of the team is better but still bad, and even the quality players are going to take some time to coalesce in terms of creating chemistry and learning/applying Warsofsky’s system.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad