2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Stevie was the scholastic player of the year too...

“I was Scholastic Player of the Year in Grade 11, by the way,” Yzerman quickly responded. “I didn’t graduate from 12th grade but Grade 11 was a good year.”

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Stevie was the scholastic player of the year too...

“I was Scholastic Player of the Year in Grade 11, by the way,” Yzerman quickly responded. “I didn’t graduate from 12th grade but Grade 11 was a good year.”

But did he?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I can't speak to his personality but Tony Ferrari was on the Winged Wheel podcast recently and said that he believes Barlow will be available with the NYI pick. Described him as a straight line winger that can score from the home plate area but wasn't overly impressed with his long shot, and that Barlow scored a lot from distance.

Colby Barlow - 2023 NHL Draft Prospect Profile

Still, this team could use a straight line winger that goes to the net. If the Wings don't draft Leonard at #9 then Barlow sounds like a guy that would fill a similar role.
I heard it , he also had McTavish later first.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
I will be surprised if Juraj Pekarcik will not be drafted in first round
That's too much. But 2nd round, why not? Big, strong guy who skates well and is fantastic defensively. Also, he's born September 12 so he's literally 3 days away from being eligible for the 24 NHL draft. Has to be youngest player in this draft class.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I watched a bunch of U18 highlights today, and my God are those American kids good together. Will Smith is nasty in the offensive zone, and his hands are absolutely filthy. Ryan Leonard does it all. I love his combination of skill/compete. Gabe Perreault has surprised me a bunch, I had no idea he was this good. Oliver Moore was impressive too.

Then there's Eiserman for the 24 draft. His shot is absolutely lethal...

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I watched a bunch of U18 highlights today, and my God are those American kids good together. Will Smith is nasty in the offensive zone, and his hands are absolutely filthy. Ryan Leonard does it all. I love his combination of skill/compete. Gabe Perreault has surprised me a bunch, I had no idea he was this good. Oliver Moore was impressive too.

Hagens is also really solid, he caught my eye a bit.

Reactions: Hughes Hefner

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland

The problem with US kids is that they are trained like soviets back in the day. Playing together for long stretches of time makes wonders. They even play pass first game which is only feasible with understanding each other perfectly. It sometimes leads to Eichel and Larkin, sometimes to Fasching and that kid playing now fir Montreal (don't remember his name). That's good for team USA and not so much for individual careers.

I still remember that USA team that was dominating the wjhc tournament with Eichel and Larkin but somehow found a way to loose. That was the best hockey I've seen since the soviets.

Reactions: lilidk

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
The problem with US kids is that they are trained like soviets back in the day. Playing together for long stretches of time makes wonders. They even play pass first game which is only feasible with understanding each other perfectly. It sometimes leads to Eichel and Larkin, sometimes to Fasching and that kid playing now fir Montreal (don't remember his name). That's good for team USA and not so much for individual careers.
The USNTDPs track record of developing studs says otherwise.

Hughes, Zegras, Larkin, Echelon, Fox, Matthews (d-1), Keller, the list goes on.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
The USNTDPs track record of developing studs says otherwise.

Hughes, Zegras, Larkin, Echelon, Fox, Matthews (d-1), Keller, the list goes on.
Definitely those are excellent players but playing for team USA they appeared to be better than now. Except for maybe Hughes.

And what I said is actually a compliment. I believe, USA program is doing things right developing a team play rather than individual skills. They will win the next best on best tournament wether it is World cup or Olympics.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
I think that best pick for Wings would be Barlow or Šalé i think these guys has much better tools and game processor than others like Cristall, Wood, Leonard, Heidt, Yager etc. They would fit Kasper or Larkin perfectly.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
And he's in the younger side of the draft
Unbelievable, Dvorsky is about 3 months older than the youngest player and he is already a bull. When he is 27, he's going to be incredible tough to play against. Exactly what Yzerman and Fester been wanting for.
That's too much. But 2nd round, why not? Big, strong guy who skates well and is fantastic defensively. Also, he's born September 12 so he's literally 3 days away from being eligible for the 24 NHL draft. Has to be youngest player in this draft class.
2nd youngest. Unger Sörum is 2 days younger.
Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 23-52-10 Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center.png

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
I would take a flyer on him with one of the 2nds. Could be a shut down type…

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
. Smith looks awesome, he could push Michkov out of top 4.
4.Smith
5. Michkov
6. Dvorsky
7. Yager
8. Benson
9. Leonard
10. Reinbacher

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
If only those great talents like Dvorsky, Smith, Leonard etc can push Michkov to no. 9... Difficult to believe that 8 GMs ahead are stupid enough though.

Might not be a GM's call tbh.

Avoiding bad publicity as far as sponsors, business dealings is a real thing.

GM might get told.

(I am not saying it's right)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad