2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I've got a real run on D in the 40s/early 50s. I think if we get two forwards in round 1 we'll have no problem snagging a d or 2 in round 2. Akey, Dragicevic, Morin, Molendyk, Mania, Akey, Dvorak, Lindstein, Minnetian, and Price are all guys I could see being available there. They're no Willander or Reinbacher but if you draft a couple of them one should turn out to be an NHLer. I'd love to grab both Akey and Dragicevic to add depth to the right side, but Dragicevic may go higher.

Reactions: lilidk

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Really reaching on those last 3. I mean Canada has been rolling Cristall as their 13th forward.

Still not sure what to make of him. Keep ending up with him in the 10-15 range. Will be very curious to read his write-up in particular in The Black Book and see what the quotes are on him from others.

Having watched Nilsson I don't think it's a reach at all to say he's got amazing hockey IQ and the metrics of his play were provided in this thread about 20 or so pages ago. He's really going to be a solid pro. Whether that's in the SHL or NHL depends on his athleticism. Sale as well. Cristall is Canada's 13th forward because his skating is not great in an international tournament where just about everyone is a very good skater. It's not because he's not a smart hockey player. The fact he's able to put up the points he does DESPITE his skating is because of his hockey IQ and skill.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Having watched Nilsson I don't think it's a reach at all to say he's got amazing hockey IQ and the metrics of his play were provided in this thread about 20 or so pages ago. He's really going to be a solid pro. Whether that's in the SHL or NHL depends on his athleticism. Sale as well. Cristall is Canada's 13th forward because his skating is not great in an international tournament where just about everyone is a very good skater. It's not because he's not a smart hockey player. The fact he's able to put up the points he does DESPITE his skating is because of his hockey IQ and skill.
And the fact that Perreault was able to put together one of the best seasons ever on the USDP despite not being big or a great skater is because he has really really really good hockey IQ. Him and Will Smith see the ice extremely well.

The knock on Cristall is that he tries stuff that won’t work at the next level. That is at least somewhat a knock on his IQ. I do not think he is the odd man out for Canada because of his skating. They probably wouldn’t have put him on the team at all if it was that.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
And the fact that Perreault was able to put together one of the best seasons ever on the USDP despite not being big or a great skater is because he has really really really good hockey IQ. Him and Will Smith see the ice extremely well.

The knock on Cristall is that he tries stuff that won’t work at the next level. That is at least somewhat a knock on his IQ. I do not think he is the odd man out for Canada because of his skating. They probably wouldn’t have put him on the team at all if it was that.

It's the exact same knock on Perreault AND Smith as well. It's great that Perreault and Smith have been tearing up hockey power houses such as Norway, Latvia and Switzerland and the highschoolers in the American midwest, but they both play junior games that will need work to translate up levels.

I think Perreault and Cristall are closer as prospects than you do. Similar size, similar concerns about skating (although Cristall is notably worse here), similar skill profiles (though I think Cristall has slightly better tools). Similar pro projections as scoring wingers or bust.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's the exact same knock on Perreault AND Smith as well. It's great that Perreault and Smith have been tearing up hockey power houses such as Norway, Latvia and Switzerland and the highschoolers in the American midwest, but they both play junior games that will need work to translate up levels.

I think Perreault and Cristall are closer as prospects than you do. Similar size, similar concerns about skating (although Cristall is notably worse here), similar skill profiles (though I think Cristall has slightly better tools). Similar pro projections as scoring wingers or bust.
I started the year on the Cristall wagon. But I mean you have to adjust based on what happens. He did not end the season well and then got bumped out at the U18s. For a guy who was already kind of an outlier I don’t know how you just shrug all that off. I have him more like 18/19/20 now where before I had him top 10. I would be fine we took him with the Islanders pick.

Perreault had a great season wire to wire. They played plenty of USHL and NCAA teams this year. You can keep saying him and Smith put up points and it doesn’t matter but we need forwards that can put up points.

Fyodorov

Apr 20, 2021

There is minimal difference between strength of the USHL and a league like the WHL by this point.

Barry Amsterdam

Fillin Nets Since 18
Apr 2, 2013

cristall seems like the definition between having Elite vision and not great IQ.

Can see plays that others can’t but dosnt always make the correct play

Reactions: Realgud

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015

Jack Hughes played the same teams these guys have played and they are beating his totals. I don't get this competition thing as a knock. They can only play their schedule, and when they face shitty teams they dominate. That's a good thing, not a bad thing.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
There is minimal difference between strength of the USHL and a league like the WHL by this point.

Are you kidding? The average WHL team is still much better than the average USHL team. The USHL has grown quite a bit as a league but there are only 3 or 4 teams regularly that would challenge in the OHL or WHL.

Jack Hughes played the same teams these guys have played and they are beating his totals. I don't get this competition thing as a knock. They can only play their schedule, and when they face shitty teams they dominate. That's a good thing, not a bad thing.

Eh. Guys getting points on goals 5, 6, 7, 9 in blowouts against competition that isn't even in the same class as them isn't impressive to me.

The difference was, and I stated this elsewher, that you could see Hughes do things in the USHL that were more translatable to NHL success. Same as Matthews. Same as Cutter Gauthier and even Cooley and Nazar. I don't get that same feeling from either Perreault or Smith. T

Last edited:
Reactions: simonedvinsson

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Feeling good about my call on Endo Meier. Finished first in points for Switzerland despite being very young (late July birthday). He didn't set the world on fire but I think he gets picked in the 6th or 7th round.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Dvorsky and then Barlow falls to 18... Hopefully.
Not going to happen, Barlow will be long gone. I believe he has great personality, someone will take him top 12.
Now nobody talking about Musty, but he is the one , I believe, will be great still

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Not going to happen, Barlow will be long gone. I believe he has great personality, someone will take him top 12.
Now nobody talking about Musty, but he is the one , I believe, will be great still

I can't speak to his personality but Tony Ferrari was on the Winged Wheel podcast recently and said that he believes Barlow will be available with the NYI pick. Described him as a straight line winger that can score from the home plate area but wasn't overly impressed with his long shot, and that Barlow scored a lot from distance.

Colby Barlow - 2023 NHL Draft Prospect Profile

Still, this team could use a straight line winger that goes to the net. If the Wings don't draft Leonard at #9 then Barlow sounds like a guy that would fill a similar role.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
Whispers here in Montreal that the Habs are very interested in Dvorsky, might mean a player we don't think will be available for the Wings might be.

Reactions: David D

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Feeling good about my call on Endo Meier. Finished first in points for Switzerland despite being very young (late July birthday). He didn't set the world on fire but I think he gets picked in the 6th or 7th round.
lol, silly goose. You mean Timo Meier. Crazy cat.

Whispers here in Montreal that the Habs are very interested in Dvorsky, might mean a player we don't think will be available for the Wings might be.
who is doing the whispers and where's the beef?! (proof)

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Imagine winning the lottery (1st or 2nd), get bedard or fantili, then Meier is traded to us (or debrincat, whatevs)...oh and since bertuzzi is still wearing his red pads, he obviously will be coming back

Raymond - Larkin - Meier
Bertuzzi - Copp - Bedard/Fantili
Perron - Kasper - Rasmussen
Soderblom - Veleno - Berggren

Seider - Walman
Edvinsson - Chiarot
Maata - Gudas

Be honest people. Who says no?

Trade perron at the trade deadline for something (roster or pick). Move up berggren to perron's spot. Less than ideal that berggren is so far down the lineup, but that is a pretty got top 3 lines that can score and have two-way players.

Last edited:

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
For what it's worth.

FuvxEyHWcB0EQ7o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad