2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I'm half expecting the Canadiens to pick Smith and Perreault with their 1st round picks this year.

They could run this as their top 6

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caulfield
Dach - Smith - Perreault

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
really puts a damper on the

Killorn Larkin Raymond
Kubalik Oreilly Perron

outlook

Perreault isn't going to be in the NHL earlier than his D+3. The dude is little and not a great skater.
Smith might make it in his D+2 and who knows what he's going to be as an NHLer?

Barry Amsterdam

Fillin Nets Since 18
Apr 2, 2013
Perreault isn't going to be in the NHL earlier than his D+3. The dude is little and not a great skater.
you don’t have to be a great skater when you have the best hockey iq in the draft. And he’s definitely is not a bad skater just isn’t one of his best assets. Hell play one year at BU and i bet the whole line will go pro

Reactions: Realgud

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
I'm just sitting here hoping the Islanders will lose so our pick is lower lol.
Any combination of

Yager/Dvorsky/Moore at 9OA (we get our C)
+
Perreault/Wood/Barlow at 18 OA id be stoked (we get a scoring winger)

Fyodorov

Apr 20, 2021

who knows what any draft eligible player is going to be as an NHLer? particularly regarding guys drafted after the top-4 in this draft. that's not an argument.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
you don’t have to be a great skater when you have the best hockey iq in the draft. And he’s definitely is not a bad skater just isn’t one of his best assets. Hell play one year at BU and i bet the whole line will go pro

But he doesn't have the best hockey IQ in the draft. Upper tier? Definitely. The kid is a smart player but I don't think he's one of the top 5 smartest players in the draft. Maybe top 10? Perreault's biggest strengths are his hands. Great shot, great passing. I think those can translate up levels but the rest of his game will need a lot more polishing before he makes it.

Also, I'd take that bet if it was they all do one year at BC then go to the NHL, not go pro. (AHL would count)

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I wish I knew more about drafting
I think my picks would lead to a shafting
A season of woe
With nothing to show
Save the stink of losses forever wafting

Reactions: NickH8

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
But he doesn't have the best hockey IQ in the draft. Upper tier? Definitely. The kid is a smart player but I don't think he's one of the top 5 smartest players in the draft. Maybe top 10? Perreault's biggest strengths are his hands. Great shot, great passing. I think those can translate up levels but the rest of his game will need a lot more polishing before he makes it.

Also, I'd take that bet if it was they all do one year at BC then go to the NHL, not go pro. (AHL would count)
I'm surprised you don't think he's a top 5 player in this draft when it comes to intelligence. I think his awareness is unreal and it drives his game. His decision-making when it comes to shooting vs passing is almost flawless. I'm curious about the 5 you think are smarter.

Reactions: NickH8 and lilidk

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I'm surprised you don't think he's a top 5 player in this draft when it comes to intelligence. I think his awareness is unreal and it drives his game. His decision-making when it comes to shooting vs passing is almost flawless. I'm curious about the 5 you think are smarter.

Bedard
Fantilli
Carlsson
Reinbacher (the dude's hockey IQ is seriously realgud and we'd be idiots to pass on him if he's available)
Leonard (take him off that line and I think you see Smith and Perreault score a lot less, but Leonard still produces a lot.)
Benson
Cristall
Sale
Felix Nilsson (The guy's IQ is seriously top notch. If he gets stronger/faster then you're talking about a potential Noah Ostlund level prospect.)

These are the guys that are just off the top of my head. Again, this isn't saying that Perreault lacks fluff between the ears. But I don't think it's top 5.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
You could be right, but then again I didn't think William Wallinder would make it to #32 in that draft and he did. Tom Willander was #46 on Bob's mid-season list. Let's see where he is at on the final list.
Tom is much better than Will at same age

Reactions: Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I wish they break that super line so we can see who is who

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Tom is much better than Will at same age

Not really. William Wallinder was rated as a 1st round talent. I think we'll be talking about Wallinder as a top 15 or top 20 guy in a redraft of 2020. Maybe better when it's all said and done.

Your hate for Wallinder is almost on par with Norrisnick's hate of Ryan O'Reilly in that it makes zero sense.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Not really. William Wallinder was rated as a 1st round talent. I think we'll be talking about Wallinder as a top 15 or top 20 guy in a redraft of 2020. Maybe better when it's all said and done.

Your hate for Wallinder is almost on par with Norrisnick's hate of Ryan O'Reilly in that it makes zero sense.

Filip Hronek... Just tell how you feel about him, you don't need to hide anything, we will understand

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

No more hate towards Wallinder, I think he's a good prospect, he did improve a lot. Now Tom looking more machure than Will , more complete defenseman

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I think I jumped the gun/over-corrected on how much I fell on Oliver Moore. He's not super creative but I think he'll be a 60 point guy. A guy with his speed, hands, and two-way game doesn't just bust. He doesn't seem like he'll get above that but the speed game he brings is hugely valuable, whether he's a winger or center.

This totally isn't influenced by me watching Seattle right now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Bedard
Fantilli
Carlsson
Reinbacher (the dude's hockey IQ is seriously realgud and we'd be idiots to pass on him if he's available)
Leonard (take him off that line and I think you see Smith and Perreault score a lot less, but Leonard still produces a lot.)
Benson
Cristall
Sale
Felix Nilsson (The guy's IQ is seriously top notch. If he gets stronger/faster then you're talking about a potential Noah Ostlund level prospect.)

These are the guys that are just off the top of my head. Again, this isn't saying that Perreault lacks fluff between the ears. But I don't think it's top 5.
Really reaching on those last 3. I mean Canada has been rolling Cristall as their 13th forward.

I think I jumped the gun/over-corrected on how much I fell on Oliver Moore. He's not super creative but I think he'll be a 60 point guy. A guy with his speed, hands, and two-way game doesn't just bust. He doesn't seem like he'll get above that but the speed game he brings is hugely valuable, whether he's a winger or center.

This totally isn't influenced by me watching Seattle right now.
Still not sure what to make of him. Keep ending up with him in the 10-15 range. Will be very curious to read his write-up in particular in The Black Book and see what the quotes are on him from others.

Reactions: Fyodorov

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
You have the big 4... and then I see a group that includes:

Smith, Dvorsky, Benson, Perreault, Yager, Sale, Moore, Leonard, Reinbacher, Wood, Danielson, Honzek, Cristall, Sandin Pelikka, Ritchie, Ziemmer.

If you told me with confidence I have to tell you the best 2 players from that group, I don't know I would be that confident with my answer.

I am trying to make a new rating and struggling with this.

What do you see as the difference between Benson and Perreault? I would say they excel in similar areas and also have similar drawbacks.

I guess to clarify, I’m more inclined to move up for Smith than I am for Benson.

On the Benson/Perrault thing, I like both players a lot and I agree they’re of a similar mold. I really like Benson’s edge work and his ability to navigate in tight spaces, especially in controlled offensive zone possession. That’s something to me that the Wings are really lacking beyond Raymond (and Perron I suppose) right now. I think Perreault brings that too, I’d be happy with him at #9, but I think Benson operates at a higher level there. I also prefer Benson’s game in transition and his work without the puck, both in terms of his work rate and in terms of his ability to find space in passing lanes.

Is that enough of a difference to justify moving up? For a lot of people probably not, and I imagine Yzerman feels the same way. Personally I do really favor Benson’s projection as a first line talent to Perreault’s, but I like both players and definitely get where people would prefer to follow the math and take every kick at the can.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Philadelphia was checking out USA - Czech game.
Montreal is checking Slovakia - Finland game.
Wonder where is Yzerman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad