2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I just think it’s lofty to expect everyone to go the Seider route.

There have been other guys from pro leagues with good tools that didn’t hit like Seider (Rundblad, Erixon, etc)

I get a little worried he’s going to get overdrafted like Kotkaniemi because he’s the best option there is at his position.

Ultimately I trust our European scouts a lot at this point though, so if they say he is BPA and he’s there for us, go ahead and send it. For me there are probably 10-12 forwards I like better and would pick before him.
I think there is also a lot of "we need right-handed defensemen" going on. I personally don't expect us to draft more than half of the defensemen that we actually ice so I too won't be crushed if we pass on him for offensive help. He could turn out to be a really solid player, but I don't see him on the same level as Seider or Edvinsson.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I think there is also a lot of "we need right-handed defensemen" going on. I personally don't expect us to draft more than half of the defensemen that we actually ice so I too won't be crushed if we pass on him for offensive help. He could turn out to be a really solid player, but I don't see him on the same level as Seider or Edvinsson.

I would draft the RHD position in the 2nd round and beyond.

Reactions: lilidk

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I’m hoping for Brustewicz with one of our 2nds. Feel like he’d be a really steady partner for Ed. Dragicevic is an interesting option there too.
Dravicevic doesn't play defense well enough for me to want Detroit to draft him.

Brustewicz doesn't seem bad, but he's kinda "eh" to me.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wish they would do free agency before the draft like they do in the NFL.
I would draft the RHD position in the 2nd round and beyond.
I like a few of the OHL kids - Akey, Allen, Bonk, Brzustewicz, Mania. Minnetian is interesting from the USDP. McCarthy is intriguing from the USHL.

Wonder if we might look at an overager like Eric Pohlkamp or Sam Court.
Dravicevic doesn't play defense well enough for me to want Detroit to draft him.

I like Dragicevic but would understand if our scouts didn’t. I also think he will go in the first round.

Who do you think is going to go in round 2 or 3 that is substantially better than Brzustewicz? I’d say he’s a good option for that range.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Brustewicz seems “meh” cause he doesn’t have any standout skills but he’s steady across the board. Thinks the game at a high level.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Curious to hear who all these defenseman are going in round 2-3 that have high end standout skills.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

I like a few of the OHL kids - Akey, Allen, Bonk, Brzustewicz, Mania. Minnetian is interesting from the USDP. McCarthy is intriguing from the USHL.

I like Dragicevic but would understand if our scouts didn’t. I also think he will go in the first round.

Who do you think is going to go in round 2 or 3 that is substantially better than Brzustewicz? I’d say he’s a good option for that range.

From a ranking/drafting
Curious to hear who all these defenseman are going in round 2-3 that have high end standout skills.

Not a lot of them. 2-3 picks, go for em.

I don't see a top 4 RHD as a lock in this draft

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Gibson

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
From a ranking/drafting

Not a lot of them. 2-3 picks, go for em.

I don't see a top 4 RHD as a lock in this draft
I kind of get where you are coming from, but I would be fine taking an "all around defenseman" like Brzustewicz or Bonk with one of our 2nd rounders. Especially if we have drafted two forwards with our first rounders. We could use a 2 way or responsible guy on the right side.

I don’t even see a standout skill with Sandin Pelikka, and people talk about him going pretty high. Just not the best defenseman draft we’ve seen. Would still grab a few with the amount of picks we have.
Is his stand-out trait his size? Or is there more there?

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I really like Brzustewicz. Look forward to seeing more of him in this upcoming series vs London.

I have him solidly ahead of Bonk. But will be interesting to see them against each other in the series.

I think Matt Mania is underrated and would be a good second round pick for us. Will probably start to rise during the draft process.

Willander, Akey and Dvorak are other defenseman that I hope are consider with all the 2nd rounders.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

I don't think anyone, even Detroit, saw Seider at Seider's level until his D+2 in Sweden.

At this stage I think what Reinbacher is doing in the NL is having a better season in a men's pro league than Seider and Edvinsson did in their draft years. The NL is pretty strong this year on top of that. And yeah, I do like him a little more this year due to the need for a RD currently, but I was also a big fan of his while we still had Hronek playing well with Maata.

I'm not saying that Reinbacher is better than Seider or will be, but there is definitely high upside with this pick. If Kasper is a Steve Yzerman player created in a lab (as quoted by Max Bultman) then so is Reinbacher. High compete, great skating, team first with a very good IQ. I've seen about 10 or 12 games of his this year and it's criminal how underrated he is by some media outlets.

It would be amazing if Detroit can get a point per game player out of the first, and I wouldn't be upset if whoever we picked became that type of scorer we need next to Larkin, but short of the big 4 in this draft I don't know who else could be that kind of player. Drafting Reinbacher gives Detroit an option to have the potential for 2 1st pair quality defensive pairings if everything goes right.

Edvinsson-Seider
Wallinder-Reinbacher

If all breaks mostly right with these kids that is a formidable D that skates better than just about anyone in the league short of a D pair of 2 Hughes brothers.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
I don't think anyone, even Detroit, saw Seider at Seider's level until his D+2 in Sweden.

At this stage I think what Reinbacher is doing in the NL is having a better season in a men's pro league than Seider and Edvinsson did in their draft years. The NL is pretty strong this year on top of that. And yeah, I do like him a little more this year due to the need for a RD currently, but I was also a big fan of his while we still had Hronek playing well with Maata.

I'm not saying that Reinbacher is better than Seider or will be, but there is definitely high upside with this pick. If Kasper is a Steve Yzerman player created in a lab (as quoted by Max Bultman) then so is Reinbacher. High compete, great skating, team first with a very good IQ. I've seen about 10 or 12 games of his this year and it's criminal how underrated he is by some media outlets.

It would be amazing if Detroit can get a point per game player out of the first, and I wouldn't be upset if whoever we picked became that type of scorer we need next to Larkin, but short of the big 4 in this draft I don't know who else could be that kind of player. Drafting Reinbacher gives Detroit an option to have the potential for 2 1st pair quality defensive pairings if everything goes right.

Edvinsson-Seider
Wallinder-Reinbacher

If all breaks mostly right with these kids that is a formidable D that skates better than just about anyone in the league short of a D pair of 2 Hughes brothers.
as much as I agree with literally everything you've said and would love him with even our highest pick..... I highly doubt a physical RD stud gets past VAN or Arizona. But it could mean a stud forward/C prospect drops to us at 8/9 OA!

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I kind of get where you are coming from, but I would be fine taking an "all around defenseman" like Brzustewicz or Bonk with one of our 2nd rounders. Especially if we have drafted two forwards with our first rounders. We could use a 2 way or responsible guy on the right side.

I don’t even see a standout skill with Sandin Pelikka, and people talk about him going pretty high. Just not the best defenseman draft we’ve seen. Would still grab a few with the amount of picks we have.

Is his stand-out trait his size? Or is there more there?
Oh I would as well. Took Wallinder after Bonk was gone,(mock draft) and Brustewicz, I figured wasn't big enough for an Yzerman defenseman.

I think Gibson could be a top 4 guy. Size, mobility, he's physical, and mostly, plays defense. Good shot that he doesn't use all that well.

Rookie in the OHL, put up decent numbers in lower leagues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad