2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
As a somewhat casual draft follower who knows about 20-30 propects going into each draft, i was unaware of him (johnston) at the time. Had no idea dallas got such a steal.

Edit: was hoping for 1 or both of stankoven and raty that draft with later picks.
Everybody says this draft is very deep and we have 5 picks in first 2rounds, hope Yzerman use them wisely

Last edited:
Reactions: Realgud

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Red wings top brass (yzerman + others) were at Honzeks last game where they were eliminated (honzek had 3 assists). I’ve been telling you guys honzek for awhile in here without much mention by anyone else. Be ready for him to potentially to be our pick with our second 1st rounder.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Red wings top brass (yzerman + others) were at Honzeks last game where they were eliminated (honzek had 3 assists). I’ve been telling you guys honzek for awhile in here without much mention by anyone else. Be ready for him to potentially to be our pick with our second 1st rounder.
Potential Ras's replacement, Ras takes Bert's role and Honzek takes the 3rd line center role. Honzek has been my 2nd round pick in those draft simulators, but he's not going drop that far. Funny how i just saw a mock draft where Red Wings picked Dvorsky and Honzek.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I like Honzek a lot. He's a monster. A big dude who can skate, deke and absolutely shoot. His passing is good but inconsistent. Hard to say if he's a center or winger at the next level.

Reactions: NickH8

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I like Honzek a lot. He's a monster. A big dude who can skate, deke and absolutely shoot. His passing is good but inconsistent. Hard to say if he's a center or winger at the next level.
Tbh I think he's a winger. I wouldn't say he's a dumb player but he's not a super smart player either. He's a guy that's really reliant on his tools. I think he's smart enough to be a good NHLer though. I agree that he could be a similar player to Rasmussen. He'd be worth a look with the isles pick imo.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
His injuries this year worry me. I wouldn't mind him with the islanders pick though.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Lardis killing it for Hamilton in rd 1. So pissed the Petes let him go. Really hope he's there when we pick in rd 2.

Reactions: jfrank21

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I just want a center. Keep drafting centers until we have a top 10 center in the league. It's not really feasible to pretend you can win a cup without that top tier elite franchise center, unless you have the greatest goal scorer of all time on the wing supporting a 1C in Larkin's tier (i.e. Ovechkin on Backstrom's wing).

Also refuse to fault Yzerman for now getting one until he legitimately passes one of those guys by without getting a stud elsewhere. The only player that may fit the criteria of opportunity so far was Zegras, and I mean we got Seider instead, a clear franchise 1D, so that's perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: DamonDRW

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I just want a center. Keep drafting centers until we have a top 10 center in the league. It's not really feasible to pretend you can win a cup without that top tier elite franchise center, unless you have the greatest goal scorer of all time on the wing supporting a 1C in Larkin's tier (i.e. Ovechkin on Backstrom's wing).

Also refuse to fault Yzerman for now getting one until he legitimately passes one of those guys by without getting a stud elsewhere. The only player that may fit the criteria of opportunity so far was Zegras, and I mean we got Seider instead, a clear franchise 1D, so that's perfectly fine.
Remembering that draft I wish Turcotte was available, Zegras was my second choice. But we got the best one and no one could predict it

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Remembering that draft I wish Turcotte was available, Zegras was my second choice. But we got the best one and no one could predict it

I hated Turcotte that draft. He was the 2C on that powerhouse team and I just felt he was carried by his wingers on offense.

Reactions: Realgud

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Yeah I remember the Turcotte hype around here particularly from USA Hockey fans (ie USNDT followers). Alot of people even thought he was gonna be better than Hughes. Probably the most overrated prospect by these boards ever.

I'm not here to shame anyone though, I admittedly was on the Kakko > Hughes train myself, so I get it lol.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yeah I remember the Turcotte hype around here particularly from USA Hockey fans (ie USNDT followers). Alot of people even thought he was gonna be better than Hughes. Probably the most overrated prospect by these boards ever.

I'm not here to shame anyone though, I admittedly was on the Kakko > Hughes train myself, so I get it lol.
That's the beauty of drafting 18 year old, you never know how they will progress

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Or select BPAs and when the time is right, trade the surplus prospects for a center. Or they even might get the center with one of BPA picks.
When you draft center , you don't know if he is, THE ONE, your number one c enter, but if he is you don't trade him.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
When you draft center , you don't know if he is, THE ONE, your number one c enter, but if he is you don't trade him.
Circumstances can change, a player might want to leave or a player's team started a rebuild or a player's team is in the cap crunch. In all of those case's teams want prospects and picks, when the time is right Red Wings will have both, surplus prospects and picks to trade for.
------------------------------
Dalibor Dvorsky is in Slovakia's U18 WJC team, he is number 1 in my scouting list. I like his defensive game, it's already in very good level but im not completely sold on his offensive side yet. But he does sound like a complete package, something what Yzerman is usually very interested in. Skating has been said as his biggest weakness but it's not a deal braker, skating can be develop with the right coach.

"The Slovak centre has the size, strength, skill and competitiveness to project as a solid two-way No. 2 NHL centre, equally adept at scoring goals and making plays." - Bob Mckenzie
Sounds familiar.... sounds very much what the organization values on a player.

Reactions: jfrank21 and lilidk

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
Man, wanting the islanders to not make the playoffs so their pick is higher means wanting the Pens to make the playoffs. Rough life.

It's like us towards the end of the playoff streak. They'll get destroyed in the 1st round and have a big struggle to make it next season.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Man, wanting the islanders to not make the playoffs so their pick is higher means wanting the Pens to make the playoffs. Rough life.
A few games back it seemed that if NYI missed the playoffs the pick would shoot down to 14ish. With the islanders record of late, if they do happen to miss the playoffs that pick might only drop one spot. (Assuming they don’t make it to 3rd round).

If it comes down to the final day and Pitts getting in changes the draft spot by 1 spot then I’ll take the worse draft spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
It's like us towards the end of the playoff streak. They'll get destroyed in the 1st round and have a big struggle to make it next season.
One thing that isn’t talked about much (not to derail this draft thread) is that DET had such a tough rebuild because they had all their main guys finish their career as wings. No jumpstart to their rebuild from picks acquired from aging stars. It felt right but lead to a more painful process.

If the Pens do the same they are in for some tough years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad