2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Thanks for sharing. You've got a lovely voice.

Definitely not mine.:laugh: He compares Leonard to Arturi Lehkonen and stated he isn’t sure how to rate Leonard’s shot so I don’t know if that guy is the best judge of talent. The highlights do a lot of speaking for Leonard’s game though.

Great compete and physicality. Good on both offensive and defensive boards and wins most of his 50/50 battles. Very good shot selection, accuracy and able to generate velocity from a combination of good mechanics and his strength. Smart passer and even though he’s not known for being a creative playmaker Leonard keeps the play alive by finding the right play to make.

Like I keep saying, this kid plays in a way that translates well at the pro level. Whoever picks him will get a very good player that is the type of guy that makes his linemates‘ lives easier.

Last edited:

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
We traded up to get Cossa and Dallas ended up with Johnston at 23 overall. He is already .5 points per game as 20 years old . I am just saying that you don't have to tank to get what you need , you just need to evaluate right
That was a pick made possible by Covid shutting down the OHL season. There aren’t a lot of examples out there of getting a top line C in the mid 1st. Barzal and Larkin are probably the best(maybe even only?) of the past decade.

A top line C is the big piece they’re missing and to avoid getting stuck as a middling team they really should just offer all 4 1sts for Pettersson or the best C they can get for them.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
That was a pick made possible by Covid shutting down the OHL season. There aren’t a lot of examples out there of getting a top line C in the mid 1st. Barzal and Larkin are probably the best(maybe even only?) of the past decade.

A top line C is the big piece they’re missing and to avoid getting stuck as a middling team they really should just offer all 4 1sts for Pettersson or the best C they can get for them.

Dude Vancouver isn’t trading Pettersson.

Larkin is a fine center. What they need is a top flight winger to play with him, because Kubalik and Perron, while they are solid vets are not game breakers.

Kasper looks like he’ll be just fine as a 2C in the future. Seider and Edvinsson will be horses that can play 25 minutes a night. Raymond might eventually turn it around.

One more good to great winger and you’re not crying about Larkin’s numbers being poor. Just look at Mackinnon before and after Rantanen.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl

Righty and a center?

aed.gif

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Let's not get crazy, and trade away 4 mid first, while still in rebuild. I started believe in Kasper as future first line center, just like Larkin at the moment.

Winger. I don’t know why he’s listed as C when he’s barely played it.
As long as he brings his hard work, feistiness, good shot and player capable playing on the first line

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Question for the folks that know these things….

Is there a drop off at around 15th pick?

This is just my opinion, but forwards between 5 to 15 are a bit of a jumble to me.

There’s a lot of differences between them in how they play, but all seem to have top 6 upside with an outside chance of being bonafide top liners. I think outside of the lotto picks we’re looking at a players style and team fit just as much as their talent and potential.

Reactions: lilidk

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Question for the folks that know these things….

Is there a drop off at around 15th pick?
It may be a little later than that but that's about right. 6-18ish are all those 5% chance to be elite, 45% chance to be top 6/top4, and 50% to be depth guys types.

Just a game of finding the elite or at least top 6 guys.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Barlow’s season with Owen Sound is over.
OS was swept last night.

He took a huge hit in the 1st period and left the game with an injury and did not return.

No report how serious yet…. But may put his participation in U18’s in jeopardy.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
@OgeeOgelthorpe

Watched more of Nilsson in the J20 and he's really good. He's currently a high 2nd rounder for me because nothing screams exactly elite but he's very good at basically everything and has shown glimpses of elite potential in some passes that made me go "holy shit who was that" and often it was Nilsson. I know you compared him to Ostlund but I find them quite different in their offensive approach. I think Ostlund is more east-west offensively and usually navigate traffic extremely well and is generally a better skater (agility and evasiveness) and connects passes in transition like crazy but Nilsson is more north-south in his approach to the game and has more strength and power and he's not afraid to attack the net more and, as a result, he is less predictable because it's harder to know if he's gonna pass or take the puck himself... and for Ostlund he has improved a lot on that in the Allsvenskan but that was one of my gripe sometimes with his decision-making in his draft year but I saw glimpses of a really good shot sometimes, so I knew the potential was there. Now that he has a good wrist shot, he is less afraid to shoot and is now a lot less predictable, though he went back to his old habits in the WJC which was quite disappointing.

Defensively both come back deep in the defensive zone to support the breakouts but Ostlund did it at lot more consistently, at every level, but it's great to see that Nilsson also has that in his game so I would totally expect him to be a center at the next level if he focuses on this aspect of his game (at least in my opinion, maybe coaches think differently lol). I also think he does quite well along the boards to help his defense. Ostlund didn't exactly do that, he was more waiting very close for the puck to come out and initiate the transition. I think both can work, it depends on the strategy.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
@OgeeOgelthorpe

Watched more of Nilsson in the J20 and he's really good. He's currently a high 2nd rounder for me because nothing screams exactly elite but he's very good at basically everything and has shown glimpses of elite potential in some passes that made me go "holy shit who was that" and often it was Nilsson. I know you compared him to Ostlund but I find them quite different in their offensive approach. I think Ostlund is more east-west offensively and usually navigate traffic extremely well and is generally a better skater (agility and evasiveness) and connects passes in transition like crazy but Nilsson is more north-south in his approach to the game and has more strength and power and he's not afraid to attack the net more and, as a result, he is less predictable because it's harder to know if he's gonna pass or take the puck himself... and for Ostlund he has improved a lot on that in the Allsvenskan but that was one of my gripe sometimes with his decision-making in his draft year but I saw glimpses of a really good shot sometimes, so I knew the potential was there. Now that he has a good wrist shot, he is less afraid to shoot and is now a lot less predictable, though he went back to his old habits in the WJC which was quite disappointing.

Defensively both come back deep in the defensive zone to support the breakouts but Ostlund did it at lot more consistently, at every level, but it's great to see that Nilsson also has that in his game so I would totally expect him to be a center at the next level if he focuses on this aspect of his game (at least in my opinion, maybe coaches think differently lol). I also think he does quite well along the boards to help his defense. Ostlund didn't exactly do that, he was more waiting very close for the puck to come out and initiate the transition. I think both can work, it depends on the strategy.

Ostlund is definitely the better skater of the two but I think that has more to do with strength than technique. And I also think you’re right in that Nilsson has a more direct-line game. I do t think that will prevent him from being creative though.

I really have trouble finding a comparable in my mind other than Ostlund or Lukas Reichel as prospects. All 3 have a great sense of where to be to make things happen. All three make the right play much more often than not. All three have understated skill. None are very physical

Nilsson and whoever picks him also has the benefit of him playing with Rogle next year. If he can get on their 3rd line or better then he has a great development opportunity.

Reactions: Realgud

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
We traded up to get Cossa and Dallas ended up with Johnston at 23 overall. He is already .5 points per game as 20 years old . I am just saying that you don't have to tank to get what you need , you just need to evaluate right
As a somewhat casual draft follower who knows about 20-30 propects going into each draft, i was unaware of him (johnston) at the time. Had no idea dallas got such a steal.

Edit: was hoping for 1 or both of stankoven and raty that draft with later picks.

Reactions: lilidk

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
As a somewhat casual draft follower who knows about 20-30 propects i didnt even know he saw going into the draft. Was anyone else here aware/high on him at the time?
On this forum I know that Pavel Buchnevich guy had him around 18 iirc, which was quite high compared to the average (assuming you're talking about Johnston).

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
Ostlund is definitely the better skater of the two but I think that has more to do with strength than technique. And I also think you’re right in that Nilsson has a more direct-line game. I do t think that will prevent him from being creative though.

I really have trouble finding a comparable in my mind other than Ostlund or Lukas Reichel as prospects. All 3 have a great sense of where to be to make things happen. All three make the right play much more often than not. All three have understated skill. None are very physical

Nilsson and whoever picks him also has the benefit of him playing with Rogle next year. If he can get on their 3rd line or better then he has a great development opportunity.
Where do you have him ranked for now? This draft is so stacked.

Reactions: simonedvinsson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad