2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
A few games back it seemed that if NYI missed the playoffs the pick would shoot down to 14ish. With the islanders record of late, if they do happen to miss the playoffs that pick might only drop one spot. (Assuming they don’t make it to 3rd round).

If it comes down to the final day and Pitts getting in changes the draft spot by 1 spot then I’ll take the worse draft spot.
Don't get me wrong I don't like Pittsburgh, but in the last couple of years I don't really care too much about what they do. I don't think they'll do much in the playoffs, so I hope them and Florida make it on Islanders expense.

One thing that isn’t talked about much (not to derail this draft thread) is that DET had such a tough rebuild because they had all their main guys finish their career as wings. No jumpstart to their rebuild from picks acquired from aging stars. It felt right but lead to a more painful process.

If the Pens do the same they are in for some tough years.

Good point.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
One thing that isn’t talked about much (not to derail this draft thread) is that DET had such a tough rebuild because they had all their main guys finish their career as wings. No jumpstart to their rebuild from picks acquired from aging stars. It felt right but lead to a more painful process.

It is pretty much what they are doing, following the Wings playbook from their playoff streak. Only thing is they don't have debilitating back and ankle injuries hastening their stars' affectiveness.

They just traded for their Frans Nielsen in taking on Granlund. Gave too long of extension to guys like Rust and Rackell. Blue line has issues and they have next to nothing in their farm. They will suffer and suffer a lot soon, and I am all for it.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
It is pretty much what they are doing, following the Wings playbook from their playoff streak. Only thing is they don't have debilitating back and ankle injuries hastening their stars' affectiveness.

They just traded for their Frans Nielsen in taking on Granlund. Gave too long of extension to guys like Rust and Rackell. Blue line has issues and they have next to nothing in their farm. They will suffer and suffer a lot soon, and I am all for it.

One of the reasons I wanted their 2025 1st in a Bertuzzi proposal I had on the trade forum. Now I can just hope the Bruins get a top 10 pick next year, unprotected 2025 1st.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Man, wanting the islanders to not make the playoffs so their pick is higher means wanting the Pens to make the playoffs. Rough life.
This long playoffs run for Pens probably is over. Next year for them probably will be similar to Red Wings after Datsyuk left . Why hate team that will struggle for next 10 years

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing

Interesting 1h interview with Reinbacher. It's in Swiss German but here are the most interesting points:

- Reinbacher said he doesn't care much about up to 20 NHL scouts watching him in the building as he's focused on Kloten only.

- When asked about how it was to play against Connor Bedard, Reinbacher said that Bedard is just another kid enjoying hockey. He added that the best player he faced is Valtteri Filppula.

- If he had the choice, Reinbacher would like to get drafted by Nashville because he really wants to play with Roman Josi. Besides, he said he doesn't have a preferred team.

- Reinbacher said his focus is on getting better at defending in his own zone as well hitting the gym hard and getting bigger.

- Reinbacher said he thought about playing for Sarnia Sting after getting drafted but ultimately decided not to do it because he wanted to continue playing pro hockey which is faster compared to junior hockey. He feels like he can learn more playing with and versus pros and added that he's a "family guy" which made his decision to stay easier.

Developmental work has already started! :laugh:

Reactions: wings95

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Developmental work has already started! :laugh:
To be fair, many NL defenders would probably say the same and everybody in Switzerland seems to be impressed by Filppula. There were rumors that he wanted to retire long ago. The man is a member of the triple gold gold club. Towards the end of his NHL his performances were rather underwhelming but at his age, he doesn't need to prove anything to anybody anymore. Still, he seems to have found a home in Geneva and he's now thinking about playing yet another season. He's pretty much PPG for Geneva over the two seasons he played for them and is described as a role model with a work ethic second to none. I don't think every former NHL coach or teammate would say the same about him but he seems to enjoy his time in Switzerland. He's healthy and he still does have all his tools. Yeah, it's just NL, not NHL but not every former NHLer has the same impact as Filppula (for example Abdelkader)

Reactions: Realgud

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
To be fair, many NL defenders would probably say the same and everybody in Switzerland seems to be impressed by Filppula. There were rumors that he wanted to retire long ago. The man is a member of the triple gold gold club. Towards the end of his NHL his performances were rather underwhelming but at his age, he doesn't need to prove anything to anybody anymore. Still, he seems to have found a home in Geneva and he's now thinking about playing yet another season. He's pretty much PPG for Geneva over the two seasons he played for them and is described as a role model with a work ethic second to none. I don't think every former NHL coach or teammate would say the same about him but he seems to enjoy his time in Switzerland. He's healthy and he still does have all his tools. Yeah, it's just NL, not NHL but not every former NHLer has the same impact as Filppula (for example Abdelkader)
I've seen Filppula play for 20 years, from his days in Finland to this day. He's always been a stand up guy.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
After watching all those outside top 5 picks, I really like for Red Wings to get Wood, big guy with soft hands, good with zone entry, nice shot , good defensively .He is RH and I am not sure if he is a center or wing. I'd get him at 10

Reactions: wings95

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015

They even have Ouellet in the system

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
So I was reading a reddit thread about draft what-ifs and saw someone comment the Bruins picking anybody but Zach Hamill in 07. Saw he had pretty damn good totals in the dub and was 5'11", read his scouting report and man it sounds eerily familiar.

"Hamill is known as a playmaker with the ability to create instant offense despite his smaller stature. He excels on the power play, has good vision on the ice and can also set up his teammates for good scoring opportunities. Hamill has a keen hockey sense, but there are some concerns about his skating and overall speed."

Small players with questionable skating make me scared sometimes man.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

I‘d bet money on Pittsburgh winning a lotto the first season they miss the playoffs.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
This is a kind of sad thread for me. Choosing between Leonard, Reinbacher, Barlow, Smith, Danielson is good in any other draft not this one, where there are players that will produce the impact for sure just like Carlsson, Michkov, Fantilli... We should have been choosing between one of those.
I don't think Smith belongs in that group since he most likely goes 5-6. But if we could get Reinbacher + one of Leonard/Barlow/Danielson i would be very happy. Even if i don't know much about the last three they seem to be quality prospects. Would like to hear more about Danielson. Any chance he's the Lundell of this draft?

Reactions: evolutionbaby

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
For those of you who watch the US development team--thoughts on Paul Fischer?

His PSF score is similar to Brock Faber--who obviously was a steal even though he was picked higher than almost all the services had him ranked. Ironically, Fischer's mid-season rankings are very close to Faber's final rankings (Faber 56 McKenzie/Fischer 69 McKenzie; Faber 44 Central Scouting/Fischer 52 Central Scouting).

Since Faber is a near-elite skater, my guess is Fischer is as strong in that area. But otherwise, I wonder if Fischer is another USNTDP D-first gem.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Not sweating if someone takes him with the deep group of forward this year. Next year is shaping up to be a much better draft for defenseman and we have two first’s.

I might normally agree with you here, but I remember the whole, "NOOO WE DRAFTED A BRANDON CARLO CLONE WHEN FUTURE 40 GOAL SCORER ZEGRAS IS THERE!" outrage in 2019.

I think that Reinbacher is the 5th best player in this draft as it stands right now. There's a lot of Pietrangelo in his game with probably better skating.

Also, do you think it's time we make our draft boards?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I might normally agree with you here, but I remember the whole, "NOOO WE DRAFTED A BRANDON CARLO CLONE WHEN FUTURE 40 GOAL SCORER ZEGRAS IS THERE!" outrage in 2019.

I think that Reinbacher is the 5th best player in this draft as it stands right now. There's a lot of Pietrangelo in his game with probably better skating.

Also, do you think it's time we make our draft boards?
I just think it’s lofty to expect everyone to go the Seider route.

There have been other guys from pro leagues with good tools that didn’t hit like Seider (Rundblad, Erixon, etc)

I get a little worried he’s going to get overdrafted like Kotkaniemi because he’s the best option there is at his position.

Ultimately I trust our European scouts a lot at this point though, so if they say he is BPA and he’s there for us, go ahead and send it. For me there are probably 10-12 forwards I like better and would pick before him.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
For those of you who watch the US development team--thoughts on Paul Fischer?

His PSF score is similar to Brock Faber--who obviously was a steal even though he was picked higher than almost all the services had him ranked. Ironically, Fischer's mid-season rankings are very close to Faber's final rankings (Faber 56 McKenzie/Fischer 69 McKenzie; Faber 44 Central Scouting/Fischer 52 Central Scouting).

Since Faber is a near-elite skater, my guess is Fischer is as strong in that area. But otherwise, I wonder if Fischer is another USNTDP D-first gem.
I like Minnetian.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I just think it’s lofty to expect everyone to go the Seider route.

There have been other guys from pro leagues with good tools that didn’t hit like Seider (Rundblad, Erixon, etc)

I get a little worried he’s going to get overdrafted like Kotkaniemi because he’s the best option there is at his position.

Ultimately I trust our European scouts a lot at this point though, so if they say he is BPA and he’s there for us, send it.

There are busts every year in every draft. It's about trying to identify what traits translate well to the NHL, what traits can be improved upon, what weaknesses will need to be mitigated. Tim Erixon (brain) and David Rundblad (motor, heart) were both very flawed prospects from what I remember. I don't think they are good comparisons at all.

Whenever I've watched Reinbacher this year I never came away from the game thinking he acquitted himself well for a kid. I always thought he was one of the best players on his team whenever he played with even more to give which is how I felt about Kasper whenever I watched Rogle in 2021-22.

The "it" factor is really hard to quantify but Reinbacher, to me, has "it". He's able to put his tools together consistently to be better than the sum of his parts, and he's got very good tools as a player. Maybe he only turns into a solid #3 type of defender? I don't know. But even #3 defensemen are incredibly important to team success.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There are busts every year in every draft. It's about trying to identify what traits translate well to the NHL, what traits can be improved upon, what weaknesses will need to be mitigated. Tim Erixon (brain) and David Rundblad (motor, heart) were both very flawed prospects from what I remember. I don't think they are good comparisons at all.

Whenever I've watched Reinbacher this year I never came away from the game thinking he acquitted himself well for a kid. I always thought he was one of the best players on his team whenever he played with even more to give which is how I felt about Kasper whenever I watched Rogle in 2021-22.

The "it" factor is really hard to quantify but Reinbacher, to me, has "it". He's able to put his tools together consistently to be better than the sum of his parts, and he's got very good tools as a player. Maybe he only turns into a solid #3 type of defender? I don't know. But even #3 defensemen are incredibly important to team success.
I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have him #5. I just have him more around like #13.

Like I said though, this is one I’d be ok to deferring to the European scouts on. Can’t say I am casually watching Swiss games.

I have noticed he is regarded higher on this site and this board than where he actually is on most lists. By a decent amount. I think there is some “Seider effect” recency bias contributing to that possibly.

Barry Amsterdam

Fillin Nets Since 18
Apr 2, 2013
I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have him #5. I just have him more around like #13.

Like I said though, this is one I’d be ok to deferring to the European scouts on. Can’t say I am casually watching Swiss games.

I have noticed he is regarded higher on this site and this board than where he actually is on most lists. By a decent amount. I think there is some “Seider effect” recency bias contributing to that possibly.
bingo

• Wow
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad