2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I think I’ve finally settled in on Oliver Moore as our first pick. I knew he was the best skater in the draft but his description in the Hockey News Future Watch magazine sold me. “Relentless motor, second and third efforts, brings it every day, comes in with a smile on his face and works his tail off” are some of his attributes. Even his picture shows intensity. Not sure who I am hoping for with our second first rounder. Reinbach will be gone so I think maybe Leonard or Danielson. Barlow and Ritchie are in my mix
Larkin - Kasper - Moore center core...
homer-homer-simpson.gif

Three match up monsters with non-stop engines on ice for 50-55 min per game and Seider & Edvinsson on ice for 40-45 min compined per game behind the trio. Nobody and i mean nobody can't score more than 2 goals against us. Other teams will have their Art Ross & Rocket Richard-contenders, but we will have the players who will shut them down one after the other.

But im starding to get scared that Moore will be gone before it's Red Wings turn to choose, more than i read about him there's less and less players that i would select before him. One thing im not worried is the second 1st rounder, it's a deep draft and somebody always falls.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Underrated and deserves to be ranked somewhere between #15 and #25, but Leonard's overall game is more impactful in my opinion, and the way he scores his goals and creates offense is way more sustainable in pro leagues. I wouldn't be mad if Detroit drafted both in the 1st this year.

Leonard is someone I can see in the NHL in his D+2 in much the same way Kasper could. Perrault needs to get much stronger. D+3 or D+4 for him.
He probably more skilled than Kasper, not as strong and plays same kind of on your face game. Another guy I really like it's Musty

Bedard is a character guy we all want.
Yes we have 3%chance drafting him and then I would trade him down for # 2spot

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
He probably more skilled than Kasper, not as strong and plays same kind of on your face game. Another guy I really like it's Musty

Is Leonard more skilled? I don't think so, but he's not far off. Definitely a better shooter. Not as good a skater or playmaker, and Kasper's stickhandling is very underrated. I think the two of them on the same line has the potential to be absolute hell for the opposition's defense though. Like I said, Leonard fits that Dustin Brown buzzsaw type of player. That's a trait I think Yzerman really values.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If that's the case I'll be slightly bummed, but not totally crestfallen. There are still going to be several good players available where we pick.

I'm really watching Ryan Leonard a lot more and each time I watch him I try and look at the small things he does. He really stirs the drink on his line. If you put Leonard with Moore instead of Smith I think Oliver Moore is looked at as the better center at the USNTDP and Smith would be a mid 1st.

Leonard does a lot of the things from the wing that elevate his teammates' and makes their jobs easier. Leonard seems to be the guy that's first on the backcheck on his line, not Smith. He wins his corner battles. He cycles really well and keeps the puck alive through smart passes to his teammates in the offensive zone. Most importantly, he funnels pucks to the net. On top of that he's shown pretty good hands. Maybe Leonard becomes a 30 goal guy in the NHL one day. Very good shot, very good passer, very good straight-ahead speed.
Fine with Leonard with our second pick, hoping for someone better with our first pick.

For me ideally we get one of theses guys with our first pick: Benson, Dvorsky, Sale, Smith, Moore, Cristall, Reinbacher, Perreault, Yager

I do not think Leonard stirs the drink on that line, but he does bring value to it.

Underrated and deserves to be ranked somewhere between #15 and #25, but Leonard's overall game is more impactful in my opinion,
Disagree. We need offense and line drivers. Perreault is that moreso than Leonard is. Perreault is also only like 150 lbs, how could he look in a few years when he weighs the same as Leonard? I think he projects better.

Reactions: Realgud and lilidk

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Fine with Leonard with our second pick, hoping for someone better with our first pick.

For me ideally we get one of theses guys with our first pick: Benson, Dvorsky, Sale, Smith, Moore, Cristall, Reinbacher, Perreault, Yager

I do not think Leonard stirs the drink on that line, but he does bring value to it.

Disagree. We need offense and line drivers. Perreault is that moreso than Leonard is. Perreault is also only like 150 lbs, how could he look in a few years when he weighs the same as Leonard? I think he projects better.

I couldn't disagree more. I wish there were advanced stats to show it, but the guy that is getting the puck up ice on breakouts most (at least in the games I've watched) is Leonard. Not Smith or Perreault. He's the 1st touch and helps cycle the puck. Perreault is flashier but I don't think his shot is as good as Leonard's, and his compete level (size be damned) doesn't touch Leonard's.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario

Interesting you bring up Musty. His offensive talent and pedigree is great.

Insanely skilled and very good size, but rarely talked about as a Wings draft option in this thread.

I’m guessing it’s because he is a winger and maybe not considered good defensively at this stage?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I couldn't disagree more. I wish there were advanced stats to show it, but the guy that is getting the puck up ice on breakouts most (at least in the games I've watched) is Leonard. Not Smith or Perreault. He's the 1st touch and helps cycle the puck. Perreault is flashier but I don't think his shot is as good as Leonard's, and his compete level (size be damned) doesn't touch Leonard's.
Kasper has a lot of these qualities you like and we took him last year. I think this year I would like to see us go for someone with high end offensive qualities like I think Perreault has.

I guess that is mostly where I'm coming from. I haven't seen the US team a ton, but I have never watched them and thought Leonard was a better player than Perreault. But that's just me and what I value in a player.

The other thing is Perreault is way behind Leonard physically. I think in a few years if Perreault gets to the weight Leonard is at, he could shoot way past him.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Insanely skilled and very good size, but rarely talked about as a Wings draft option in this thread.

I’m guessing it’s because he is a winger and maybe not considered good defensively at this stage?
Was super high on him a few months ago. Good size and offensive ability.

But he does shit like this, so I don't know if Yzerman will be a fan:

Reactions: Holden Caufield

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

How much have you actually seen Yager this year? I was totally sold on him as our pick coming into the year, but the few times that I've seen him this year, he's been really 'meh,' and the stats sort of back that up. He seems like he's either playing it safe and not having an impact or trying to do too much and turning it over. Now I don't know what to think. I feel like if he can get back on track again, he has as much upside as anyone in the 5-10 range this year.

I'm all aboard the Moore train if he's available.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Was super high on him a few months ago. Good size and offensive ability.

But he does shit like this, so I don't know if Yzerman will be a fan:

One blooper. But yeah word has been Musty could improve defensively. So I think most just assume he is not an Yzerman type

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

It's hard to discuss about prospect just watching highlights, but he is on the youngest side, GOOD SPEED, SIZE, SKILLS. If we already get our future number one center and if he is still available after 20 I would trade up for him

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How much have you actually seen Yager this year? I was totally sold on him as our pick coming into the year, but the few times that I've seen him this year, he's been really 'meh,' and the stats sort of back that up. He seems like he's either playing it safe and not having an impact or trying to do too much and turning it over. Now I don't know what to think. I feel like if he can get back on track again, he has as much upside as anyone in the 5-10 range this year.

I'm all aboard the Moore train if he's available
Not a lot. I have dropped him from like 5-7 to 10-11 to now having him 14-15. So I get where you are coming from. But I still would be totally fine taking him with the first pick if we are picking around 8-12.

Would take a right handed center with his pedigree, I think he’s a good playmaker. Could be another case where I’m too hanging on to what someone did at the Hlinka. Have not really seen these guys play that much this year.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Not a lot. I have dropped him from like 5-7 to 10-11 to now having him 14-15. So I get where you are coming from. But I still would be totally fine taking him with the first pick if we are picking around 8-12.

Would take a right handed center with his pedigree, I think he’s a good playmaker. Could be another case where I’m too hanging on to what someone did at the Hlinka. Have not really seen these guys play that much this year.
Yeah I'm pretty much in the same boat. I usually agree with your takes so I was hoping that you could give me some more insight on him. I never find the time for prospect watching any more.

Anyone willing to plant a flag on what's up with Yager? Should he be a mid first or are we overreacting to a mediocre stretch? I really like the way he approaches the game.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Kasper has a lot of these qualities you like and we took him last year. I think this year I would like to see us go for someone with high end offensive qualities like I think Perreault has.

I guess that is mostly where I'm coming from. I haven't seen the US team a ton, but I have never watched them and thought Leonard was a better player than Perreault. But that's just me and what I value in a player.

The other thing is Perreault is way behind Leonard physically. I think in a few years if Perreault gets to the weight Leonard is at, he could shoot way past him.

These things don't happen in a vacuum. Leonard is already physically stronger and more prepared. What's to stop him from fine-tuning his game and match or surpass Perreault's perceived skill game? Because from what I've seen, the flashiness of Perreault's game, while eye-catching, is not nearly as likely to translate up until he's stronger, faster and more willing to take the puck inside.

Both players are very good at a lot of the things in a hockey game that can't be taught. But even if they were both the same size and weight, scoring statistics being the same as they are today, I take Leonard ahead of Perreault because of his compete level and because of his skating and willingness to do the dirty work. There's a reason that he's rated as a potential top 10 pick despite having lower scoring totals.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
By signing Tuomisto , did Yzerman sending signal that he will go after RHD , could be this guy

If he falls to Detroit's pick there are about 5 or 6 idiot GMs that need to be re-evaluated. I just don't see how this kid gets picked later than #7.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
These things don't happen in a vacuum. Leonard is already physically stronger and more prepared. What's to stop him from fine-tuning his game and match or surpass Perreault's perceived skill game? Because from what I've seen, the flashiness of Perreault's game, while eye-catching, is not nearly as likely to translate up until he's stronger, faster and more willing to take the puck inside.

Both players are very good at a lot of the things in a hockey game that can't be taught. But even if they were both the same size and weight, scoring statistics being the same as they are today, I take Leonard ahead of Perreault because of his compete level and because of his skating and willingness to do the dirty work. There's a reason that he's rated as a potential top 10 pick despite having lower scoring totals.
Well, I was surprised to see Leonard come in as high as #10 on Bob's mid-season list. Perreault has been on a bit of a tear since that last came out. I will have to see if Leonard stays ahead on his list by the end of the year.

hockeyprospect.com has them #15 and #16. Button has them #13 and #14. Both with Leonard 1 spot higher.

Again, I prefer the offensive game of Perreault and Smith. But it is possible I am underselling his offensive game. I did it with Snuggerud last year, he is tearing it up. The US program produces good talent.

Yeah I'm pretty much in the same boat. I usually agree with your takes so I was hoping that you could give me some more insight on him. I never find the time for prospect watching any more.

Anyone willing to plant a flag on what's up with Yager? Should he be a mid first or are we overreacting to a mediocre stretch? I really like the way he approaches the game.
I just have been wondering if there is anything that differentiates Yager and Heidt, other than Yager being right handed. They are pretty similar players.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't care no more about tanking, winning make you feel better. NYI seems like going to make playoffs and 8- 11 place who cares ,not big difference, Yzerman probably going to pick someone else that none expects .

Reactions: Realgud
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad