2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I quite like Brindley, but Minnesota is banging him up pretty good tonight. That’s what you worry about as his game translates up to higher levels.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I quite like Brindley, but Minnesota is banging him up pretty good tonight. That’s what you worry about as his game translates up to higher levels.
I hear ya there. I love that he plays bigger than he is but typically you want that to be a bonus on top of a typical small mans game. I like his offense but the upside isn't huge. For someone who was early to the hype train I've been questioning if his game is translatable.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I hear ya there. I love that he plays bigger than he is but typically you want that to be a bonus on top of a typical small mans game. I like his offense but the upside isn't huge. For someone who was early to the hype train I've been questioning if his game is translatable.

And don’t get me wrong, I definitely like the player for the same reasons you point out. He’s been great for Michigan. Just a question of exactly how high you value a player like that I suppose.

Reactions: NickH8

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So Perreault hasn't committed anywhere for next year yet? Seems odd.
The lineup sheet for the program yesterday still has him going to Boston College, which has been the case for awhile if not mistaken. Not sure why it isn’t on his elite prospects page.

Reactions: GoBoltz56

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
probably around 20
Out 2018 draft we got 3 NHL players, one second and 2 first round
The best out of 3 is second round pick.
If we packaged all three for pick number 20 it would be like trading Danil But, Samuel Honsek, and Koehn Ziemer for Riley Heidt. This is according to the FC draft simulator which I admit has some outdated rankings. That would make me cringe.

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If we packaged all three for pick number 20 it would be like trading Danil But, Samuel Honsek, and Koehn Ziemer for Riley Heidt. This is according to the FC draft simulator which I admit has some outdated rankings. That would make me cringe.
They're lots of value in the second round this draft, but if Yzerman likes someone , he will pull the trigger. Sample:

Red Wings

Red Wings

Traded • 2021 first round pick (#22-Wyatt Johnston) • 2021 second round pick (#47-Artem Grushnikov) • 2021 fifth round pick (#137-Jack Bar) to Stars for • 2021 first round pick (#14-Sebastian Cossa) on 2021-07-23

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
vancouver and blues have decent chance of passing wings, looked like a near impossibility not too long ago
EDIT: Coyotes too, with a little luck (bad luck?) could be as high as 7th

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
1-Bedard
2-Michkov
3-Fantilli
4-Carlsson
5-Smith
6-Benson
7-Dvorsky
8-Sale
9-Moore
10-Cristall
11-Barlow
12-Danielson
13-Reinbacher
14-Perreault
15-Yager
16-Ritchie
17-But
18-Leonard
19-Wood
20-Heidt
21-Honzek
22-Dragicevic
23-Ziemmer
24-Sandin Pelikka
25-Gulyayev
26-Gauthier
27-Musty
28-Simashev
29-Dower Nilsson
30-Nadeau
31-Stramel
32-Hrabal

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I think I’ve finally settled in on Oliver Moore as our first pick. I knew he was the best skater in the draft but his description in the Hockey News Future Watch magazine sold me. “Relentless motor, second and third efforts, brings it every day, comes in with a smile on his face and works his tail off” are some of his attributes. Even his picture shows intensity. Not sure who I am hoping for with our second first rounder. Reinbach will be gone so I think maybe Leonard or Danielson. Barlow and Ritchie are in my mix

Reactions: SantosHalper

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think I’ve finally settled in on Oliver Moore as our first pick. I knew he was the best skater in the draft but his description in the Hockey News Future Watch magazine sold me. “Relentless motor, second and third efforts, brings it every day, comes in with a smile on his face and works his tail off” are some of his attributes. Even his picture shows intensity. Not sure who I am hoping for with our second first rounder. Reinbach will be gone so I think maybe Leonard or Danielson. Barlow and Ritchie are in my mix
No character guys. This team will be a bottom feeder forever if it keeps picking character guys.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I need to see his picture now.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
My expectation is there will be run on centers this draft , don't expect Moore will be available at 10.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I will never forget that day, I was out and about parked in front of the store and I said I want to see who Detroit drafts before we go in...
And I really liked Byram and Zegras and knew Byram wouldn't be there.
Then it gets to Stevie and he says "From Manheim of the DEL" and my jaw just dropped and literally said What the ****
The moment will forever be burned in my mind haha
I don't really follow a lot of the players pre draft like everyone here does, but of course the top names associated with going top 5. I knew who veleno was because wasn't he projected to go top 5 or 10? When Wings got him at 30 or w.e, I just thought we got the steal of the draft based on what people have said about him pre draft.

When I heard Seider's name called, I literally had no idea who he was, never heard of him (which isn't saying much..) but even the announcers were like eh kind of an off the board pick here, this guy is a late first rounder, blah blah. So i immediately said ok, who is my west coast team from now on because clearly, CLEARLY we will suck forever.

Never found that west coast team I wanted to root for so that's great.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
My expectation is there will be run on centers this draft , don't expect Moore will be available at 10.

If that's the case I'll be slightly bummed, but not totally crestfallen. There are still going to be several good players available where we pick.

I'm really watching Ryan Leonard a lot more and each time I watch him I try and look at the small things he does. He really stirs the drink on his line. If you put Leonard with Moore instead of Smith I think Oliver Moore is looked at as the better center at the USNTDP and Smith would be a mid 1st.

Leonard does a lot of the things from the wing that elevate his teammates' and makes their jobs easier. Leonard seems to be the guy that's first on the backcheck on his line, not Smith. He wins his corner battles. He cycles really well and keeps the puck alive through smart passes to his teammates in the offensive zone. Most importantly, he funnels pucks to the net. On top of that he's shown pretty good hands. Maybe Leonard becomes a 30 goal guy in the NHL one day. Very good shot, very good passer, very good straight-ahead speed.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If that's the case I'll be slightly bummed, but not totally crestfallen. There are still going to be several good players available where we pick.

I'm really watching Ryan Leonard a lot more and each time I watch him I try and look at the small things he does. He really stirs the drink on his line. If you put Leonard with Moore instead of Smith I think Oliver Moore is looked at as the better center at the USNTDP and Smith would be a mid 1st.

Leonard does a lot of the things from the wing that elevate his teammates' and makes their jobs easier. Leonard seems to be the guy that's first on the backcheck on his line, not Smith. He wins his corner battles. He cycles really well and keeps the puck alive through smart passes to his teammates in the offensive zone. Most importantly, he funnels pucks to the net. On top of that he's shown pretty good hands. Maybe Leonard becomes a 30 goal guy in the NHL one day. Very good shot, very good passer, very good straight-ahead speed.
And the most important , he is first line player. What about third guy from that line?

Gabe Perreault​

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
And the most important , he is first line player. What about third guy from that line?

Gabe Perreault​

Underrated and deserves to be ranked somewhere between #15 and #25, but Leonard's overall game is more impactful in my opinion, and the way he scores his goals and creates offense is way more sustainable in pro leagues. I wouldn't be mad if Detroit drafted both in the 1st this year.

Leonard is someone I can see in the NHL in his D+2 in much the same way Kasper could. Perrault needs to get much stronger. D+3 or D+4 for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad