2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Also noteable for the ‘Wings don’t like CHL development route’ crowd. Fischer is high up in the organization now and he clearly thinks OHL was a good/best route to develop his son.
Draft results shows different.

Fischer's older son selected the college route and Draper's son as well, Horcoff's son is going to be the decisive factor. Michigan State or OHL, Asst. GM and Dir. of Amateur Scouting trumps Dir. of Player Personnel.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
Want Jayden Perron with the later 1st and Etienne Morin with one of the 2nds. But they're both small guys so the Wings will probably not go for them.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Are you taking Danielson over Leonard if you don't think Danielson is a center (or has a reasonable possibility of being a center) at the NHL level? I think things are really close between Leonard, Barlow and Danielson and I would probably be happy with any of them (even without knowing what is on the board) especially with the NYI pick. All could be really good, complimentary players who can contribute offensively at the NHL level. Of the projected mid-round guys the only one I would preference over this lot is Honzek who I think has the most upside of them.

I can understand the Skinner lite comparison, but I remember Skinner being a very sound technical skater at the same age even though he wasn't super explosive. I would consider Ziemmer, but not in the 1st round with his skating (same with Musty...and not because of the video clip someone posted earlier).
Fair question, hard for me to answer since I think Danielson has played like 100% of games at center this year.

I like Danielson a good bit, I think he will go higher in the draft than where he has been typically ranked. I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on Honzek and still don't know what to think. I have heard people say he has high upside and people say he doesn't. What do you think of his offensive game and do you think he could play center?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Fair question, hard for me to answer since I think Danielson has played like 100% of games at center this year.

I like Danielson a good bit, I think he will go higher in the draft than where he has been typically ranked. I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on Honzek and still don't know what to think. I have heard people say he has high upside and people say he doesn't. What do you think of his offensive game and do you think he could play center?
Danielson remind me Copp, kinda solid and boring pick at the same time . I'd rather have have higher sealing prospect

Reactions: David D

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Every time I watched Honzek play pre-injury (maybe five times) he really impressed me. I thought he showed really good skill, he used his length to his advantage and knew what to do without the puck. He moved the puck well in my viewings even though some seem to knock him for it. Skating was fine even though not a strength. There are a lot of forwards in the mid-first that all seem very similar in quality and upside. I think Honzek could separate from the group as he matures physically and makes developmentally appropriate skating gains. Maybe that says more about the other forwards who are available, I don't know. FWIW I have never seen him play center. I wouldn't think of him as one unless they move him there next year.

I think Danielson is a really solid option who has a very good chance of being an NHL center and you can never draft too many centers. Someone else made the comment that he generates offense with his smarts more than his hands and skill. To me, smarts is a far more transferable skill than puck skills. He is on my list of guys I would be happy with.

I have very modest expectations with our first round picks. Yes I think it is a strong class, but we won't be picking into the strength of it. I see a lot of undersized, productive junior forwards, none of whom are plus, plus skaters outside of Moore.

Reactions: archimet

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Every time I watched Honzek play pre-injury (maybe five times) he really impressed me. I thought he showed really good skill, he used his length to his advantage and knew what to do without the puck. He moved the puck well in my viewings even though some seem to knock him for it. Skating was fine even though not a strength. There are a lot of forwards in the mid-first that all seem very similar in quality and upside. I think Honzek could separate from the group as he matures physically and makes developmentally appropriate skating gains. Maybe that says more about the other forwards who are available, I don't know. FWIW I have never seen him play center. I wouldn't think of him as one unless they move him there next year.

I think Danielson is a really solid option who has a very good chance of being an NHL center and you can never draft too many centers. Someone else made the comment that he generates offense with his smarts more than his hands and skill. To me, smarts is a far more transferable skill than puck skills. He is on my list of guys I would be happy with.

I have very modest expectations with our first round picks. Yes I think it is a strong class, but we won't be picking into the strength of it. I see a lot of undersized, productive junior forwards, none of whom are plus, plus skaters outside of Moore.
I like the idea of adding a forward with size/skill to our group. And/or guys that play inside and go to dangerous areas.

So I could easily get on board with Honzek, and I have been warming up to Matthew Wood. Also like Calum Ritchie as well.

I just haven’t really seen Honzek play, so appreciate you sharing that take.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I like the idea of adding a forward with size/skill to our group. And/or guys that play inside and go to dangerous areas.

So I could easily get on board with Honzek, and I have been warming up to Matthew Wood. Also like Calum Ritchie as well.

I just haven’t really seen Honzek play, so appreciate you sharing that take.
Nothing against any of these players. But there will be only one name inside that cold envelope with the Winged Wheel on the outside. :D

cut.jpg

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I've had so many guys rotate into my 10 slot after my top 9 who have solidified themselves. I think I'm starting to settle on Barlow. Hard shot, good skater, decent size. He'd be a perfect LW for Larkin and Raymond if we pick him. Stache game is elite too.

Ziemmer, Heidt, Danielsson, Sale, and Leonard are the guys right after for me.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I've had so many guys rotate into my 10 slot after my top 9 who have solidified themselves. I think I'm starting to settle on Barlow. Hard shot, good skater, decent size. He'd be a perfect LW for Larkin and Raymond if we pick him. Stache game is elite too.

Ziemmer, Heidt, Danielsson, Sale, and Leonard are the guys right after for me.
Feel like elaborating on why I like Barlow. He's just so easy to project as a top 6 winger because of how net driven he is. He's not one of these junior scorers making a living on the perimeter against bad Goalies. Is it easier for him to get pucks to the middle against junior defenses? Hell yeah it is, but I'd rather bet on someone already driving the middle in juniors being able to do it in the NHL than someone who is a perimeter player in juniors. If you put Brady Tkachuk in the O in his draft year yes he'd put up gaudy numbers and have an easy time. Doesn't make him less Brady Tkachuk. I'm willing to bet on Barlow strengthening his strengths to be NHL level strengths and filling in his weaknesses (defensive involvement) more than most prospects.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Feel like elaborating on why I like Barlow. He's just so easy to project as a top 6 winger because of how net driven he is. He's not one of these junior scorers making a living on the perimeter against bad Goalies. Is it easier for him to get pucks to the middle against junior defenses? Hell yeah it is, but I'd rather bet on someone already driving the middle in juniors being able to do it in the NHL than someone who is a perimeter player in juniors. If you put Brady Tkachuk in the O in his draft year yes he'd put up gaudy numbers and have an easy time. Doesn't make him less Brady Tkachuk. I'm willing to bet on Barlow strengthening his strengths to be NHL level strengths and filling in his weaknesses (defensive involvement) more than most prospects.
His skating is pretty good, he came in 2nd at the 30m forward skate testing at the Top Prospects game.

Also I have seen some people mention it on here before, but Carey Terrance is an interesting choice in rounds 2-3. That kid tested super well and has shown some goal scoring ability in the OHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How much have you actually seen Yager this year? I was totally sold on him as our pick coming into the year, but the few times that I've seen him this year, he's been really 'meh,' and the stats sort of back that up. He seems like he's either playing it safe and not having an impact or trying to do too much and turning it over. Now I don't know what to think. I feel like if he can get back on track again, he has as much upside as anyone in the 5-10 range this year.

I'm all aboard the Moore train if he's available.
Have been looking more at Yager, I think his standout trait is probably his shot/release. It is pretty good.

Reactions: archimet

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
His skating is pretty good, he came in 2nd at the 30m forward skate testing at the Top Prospects game.

Also I have seen some people mention it on here before, but Carey Terrance is an interesting choice in rounds 2-3. That kid tested super well and has shown some goal scoring ability in the OHL.
A guy who can skate like that and shoot like that is dangerous.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Have been looking more at Yager, I think his standout trait is probably his shot/release. It is pretty good.
His shot is really good. I think that he could be the finisher that we lack in that regard. I also really like his skating once he gets up to speed. I wish he was a bit more shifty from a stand-still. His passing seems really good too. I just don't know why he doesn't have more impact. I almost feel like whatever I didn't understand about Zadina is also a threat to Yager. I still don't quite get what that was to be honest

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I’m trying to prepare myself for Oliver Moore being taken before our pick. If Yaeger, Danielson, Leonard, and Heidt we’re all still available who would you take?

Reactions: lilidk

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I am a big fan of Terrance and have said elsewhere that he might be the Cirelli of this draft--3rd round steal. He has tangibles (skating, goal-scoring, takes toughest defensive matchups) and intangibles (wears a letter as 17-year-old). Though it is more likely he becomes like Eric Robinson--still a solid contributor.

That said, right now his highest ranking is 66. So considering Frk's mock, I would go for a high scoring upside forward like Lardis or Fisker Mölgaard in the 2nd and hope Terrance is still there in the third.

Reactions: Realgud and Frk It

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
I am a big fan of Terrance and have said elsewhere that he might be the Cirelli of this draft--3rd round steal. He has tangibles (skating, goal-scoring, takes toughest defensive matchups) and intangibles (wears a letter as 17-year-old). Though it is more likely he becomes like Eric Robinson--still a solid contributor.

That said, right now his highest ranking is 66. So considering Frk's mock, I would go for a high scoring upside forward like Lardis or Fisker Mölgaard in the 2nd and hope Terrance is still there in the third.
Dont we have like 3 picks in Round 2? I would totally use one on this guy if I were GM and thought the possible upside was there.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Dont we have like 3 picks in Round 2? I would totally use one on this guy if I were GM and thought the possible upside was there.
With this many "1st round" players, it will be very interesting to see whether Detroit packages that 2nd round cluster to move up, or just sits there and takes 2-3 guys who slide to them.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
With this many "1st round" players, it will be very interesting to see whether Detroit packages that 2nd round cluster to move up, or just sits there and takes 2-3 guys who slide to them.
Give me the extra tries any day. First round level talent is bound to fall this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad